Chelsea appoint Thomas Tuchel

TheReligion

Abusive
Big part of it is the space he creates. When Giroud or Tammy have played the opposition defense can step up regularly because neither is a genuine threat in behind. Both Giroud and Tammy are also poor at pressing, which has always been a point of emphasis for Tuchel.

Giroud especially contributes very little - I believe I'm right in saying that whilst he's been on the pitch we've only scored 1 goal from open play that wasn't by him.
Pace, movement, ball carrying, makes the pitch bigger and opens up space in the midfield. Tammy and Giroud are just much easier to nullify for a CB.
This is fair enough. So longer term do you see Werner playing with a goal scorer and him being relieved of those duties or do you just view is as a dip and that he will continue being creative but start scoring 20+ a season?

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
This is fair enough. So longer term do you see Werner playing with a goal scorer and him being relieved of those duties or do you just view is as a dip and that he will continue being creative but start scoring 20+ a season?
Lw. A STRIKER IS A MUST

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Think what Tuchel has realised is that Werner is best suited to a partnership up top. Even though we're usually listed as playing a 3-4-2-1, in practice of late we've been much more like 3-4-1-2 with the first XI, with Mount assuming a free role behind more or less a strike partnership. When we've looked best of late has been with the front 3 of Werner / Havertz / Mount - Havertz dropping deep and working in conjunction with Werner has the makings of an intriguing synergy. Where I think we've struggled at times is when Pulisic or CHO has played that RF role (at least on paper) - Pulisic is better in this regard but neither is particularly suited to running in behind. CHO especially wants to receive the ball with time to turn and face up the opposition, and I think this is probably why he's been so de-emphasised of late.

I believe I'm right in saying that Werner has had the most goals disallowed in Europe and is joint 2nd in terms of woodworks hit in the PL? He's also the 2nd worst underperformer in terms of goals scored vs xG (1st being Vardy), so I would expect some regression to the mean. I don't think he'll hit 28 league goals in a season like he did last year, but I don't think it's crazy to think he might bag 15-20. He's also pretty consistently put up decent expected assist numbers - over the last 4 seasons he's never been lower than 70th percentile among strikers by that metric.

Certainly I don't think it's arguable that he's had a better debut season and has more promise than the likes of Shevchenko, Torres, and Morata. Obviously it's down to him to build on it going forward but his attitude seems absolutely top class - despite all his foibles this season his workrate is up there with Kante and Mount for best in the team, and he's consistently been willing to be open about his struggles in interviews, which for me is admirable.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
I see him as a wide forward who will be best playing with and off a reference point like he did at RB. (I hesitate to use the term reference point because a lot of people wrongly get an imagine of a John Hartson type :lol:)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Lukaku to Chelsea is actually a pretty decent idea at this moment in time. Lukaku and Werner are actually quite similar in that they rely on pace and movement to create opportunities rather than being great with their backs to goal, despite Lukaku obviously being stronger and hence better in the air and holding off defenders. But Lukaku is a far better goalscorer based on what we've seen of Werner so far. Of course the latter may see an exponential improvement next season but as things stand, Chelsea could do a lot worse than sign Lukaku IMO

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Great interview - Tuchel always speaks very well and doesn't come across as someone who takes himself too seriously.
He lied about having experience working in a bar to get a job. Not my kind of character #TuchelOut

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Some little anecdotes from his time in Mainz: https://www.kicker.de/perfektionist-tuchel-er-hat-sogar-am-gras-geschnuppert-805896/artikel

Lot of well known things (he is a great tactician etc), but that story about Olympiakos Piraeus really shows Tuchel's obsession with details: At a pre-season match he was so impressed with the state of the pitch, that he wanted to sign their greenkeeper. Heidel even tried to do this transfer and called that guy, but the transfer failed :lol:

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
"Putting a Simply Red record on the vinyl record player is one of the best things".

I am now Tuchel out.
To be fair, Germans aren't noted for their taste in contemporary music.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Simply Red and Mick Hucknall have some very good songs. They got soul. I think it's more to do with the fact he's a big Utd fan.
It's not, it's because Simply Red are simply shit. Red Red Wine is the worst song ever.

Mick Hucknell being a tit doesn't help but that's not because he's a Man United fan. Plenty of cool people are Man United fans, I mean, I can't think of any but there must be a few.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It's not, it's because Simply Red are simply shit. Red Red Wine is the worst song ever.

Mick Hucknell being a tit doesn't help but that's not because he's a Man United fan. Plenty of cool people are Man United fans, I mean, I can't think of any but there must be a few.
Serious? No white text. :)

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Check out the official World Cup 94 song of the German NT and it will tell you all you need to know about German football's music taste as well as its sexual subcurrent

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Check out the official World Cup 94 song of the German NT and it will tell you all you need to know about German football's music taste as well as its sexual subcurrent
Should have got John Barnes to rap then

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Not too bad actually.

criticalanalysis

Their media image probably didn't help but I don't get why they get such a rep as being musically bad. Maybe it's the white than white, older male crooner type thing?

Objectively, I think Holding Back the Years, Mirror, Say You Love Me, Home, Money Too Tight, Something Got Me Started and their covers of You Make Me Feel Brand New and Night Nurse are good. Basically their Greatest Hits album haha.

I'm sounding like bit of a fanboy and I'm not but the guy has got soul and a good voice..

Okay so last bit of 'I'm not lame' but I listen and like a wide range of music.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I only came across this about 5 years ago and I have to say, I do go back and watch it from time to time whenever I need a laugh.

Raredaredevil

What a manager. Led PSG to their first CL final and no shame losing to one of the greatest teams in football history, he was fired and then appointed as Chelsea manager who were struggling, got the best out of ze germans players and after losing their FA Cup final, he lead Chelsea to a CL when they were such unfencied underdogs against Pep's Guardiola. It shows what a top top manager can do. Must say I'm so impressed with how Roman Abramovich don't take shit.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
He's not perfect, lets see how he does over a full season against the different types of sides in the league. But for sure he's got Peps number.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
In a sport where winning and losing is determined by small details, a world class coach is a huge advantage.

SAFMUTD

Can only wonder what would it had been I'd we were the ones ruthless and not passive

PoTMS

This is what you call ambition. Chelsea were staring down the barrel when Lampard was in charge. And yet 6 months later they've won the biggest trophy in club football by hiring a competent manager. They would be out of the Champions League and outside the top 4 if they had owners and fans like ours.

Stacks

What a manager. Led PSG to their first CL final and no shame losing to one of the greatest teams in football history, he was fired and then appointed as Chelsea manager who were struggling, got the best out of ze germans players and after losing their FA Cup final, he lead Chelsea to a CL when they were such unfencied underdogs against Pep's Guardiola. It shows what a top top manager can do. Must say I'm so impressed with how Roman Abramovich don't take shit.
In a sport where winning and losing is determined by small details, a world class coach is a huge advantage.
Yep. G Neville said it best. When the Prem clubs dominated the CL was because they had the top managers in the game. The manager is the most important piece of the puzzle outside of a Ronaldo or Messi.

Jaxa

No one will convince me ever again a top manager doesn’t make a difference,

This Chelsea team have went from were getting battered by mid table PL teams to finishing top 4 and looking like winning the fecking UCL!

And no I am not bashing Ole here I am bashing our horrendous board who have no clue what they are doing or any vision,

Fair fecks to Roman, will always put Chelsea first, we could sign Varane, Kane, Sancho and Lionel Messi this summer and still would have the same issues we have now, until we sign a new board we’re done

Raredaredevil

Yep. G Neville said it best. When the Prem clubs dominated the CL was because they had the top managers in the game. The manager is the most important piece of the puzzle outside of a Ronaldo or Messi.
I'm beyond envious of Chelsea. I freaking knew they will win it. I only wish I had the balls to put more money on them...

littleman

The calls that Tuchel is a fraud seem so silly now, the football tribalism shrouds all

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
They've got their reward for significant investment last summer. That's how to do a transfer window.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
His tactics v Pep have been superb & even without the CL win, you can see the impact he’s had in the half season he’s been there. The change from Lampard to him shows the importance of having a top coach.

Hopefully he falls out with Roman soon.