Chelsea appoint Thomas Tuchel

lloyd2wayne

I'm downloading Chelsea's win not to make our loss good, I'm doing so because no one was waxing lyrical about Arsenal, West Ham or City after they beat Leicester. Chelsea and Ole can both be downplayed :D
You making it seem like they have been losing to Norwich, Watford etc. All the teams you mentioned Arsenal, West Ham, City are all above us and Leicester so I don’t get your point.

If they were losing left right center to relegation teams then you would make sense saying Chelsea’s win isn’t impressive but that’s not the case.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
You making it seem like they have been losing to Norwich, Watford etc. All the teams you mentioned Arsenal, West Ham, City are all above us and Leicester so I don’t get your point.

If they were losing left right center to relegation teams then you would make sense saying Chelsea’s win isn’t impressive but that’s not the case.
Fair enough, you have convinced me of the error of my ways.

Sylar

It's annoying that Chelsea have only conceded four goals on the league whole season

Whereas we conceded four in one game :lol:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It's annoying that Chelsea have only conceded four goals on the league whole season

Whereas we conceded four in one game :lol:
It's certainly comforting to know we often don't have to score more than once to have to a good chance at winning any given game.

If we continue let in goals at the same rate, we're on pace to concede about 12-13 goals this season. The PL record is 15 goals.

Unlikely in all honesty, but pretty cool to think about.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
It's certainly comforting to know we often don't have to score more than once to have to a good chance at winning any given game.

If we continue let in goals at the same rate, we're on pace to concede about 12-13 goals this season. The PL record is 15 goals.

It'd be nice of course but isn't going to happen. There'll be one bad day at least where we ship 3-4 in a single match.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It'd be nice of course but isn't going to happen. There'll be one bad day at least where we ship 3-4 in a single match.
Yeah I certainly don't think it's going to happen either but to even be in a position to entertain the idea is pretty nuts, if you ask me.

Sylar

Or later in the season if you're in for other cups and rotate a bit (especially if you have a lead in the league)

passing-wind

There's a clear gulf in class between the tactical discipline and coaching of City, Liverpool and Chelsea and the rest of the league. It is absolutely miles apart how far ahead these teams are player surnames don't make the difference it's the managerial influences there's nothing that can replicate this aspect. I don't care about Ole's statistics he has never passed the eye test of producing good football and a capable team.

As funny as it sounds I reckon Viera will be up there if he maintains what Palace have showed and perhaps gets a top 6 club in future. Potter a very close second. I said even when PSG lost to United two seasons ago that Tuchel showed his class because it was his team that stifled the honeymoon run United had with Solskjaer as caretaker at Old Trafford, the way he nullified the attack but was balanced enough to not park the bus but offer an attacking threat. It was a brilliant chess match and really showed some of the fruits of Tuchels leadership.

World class manager, that Chelsea team is an extremely capable team but still lacks star pedigree if they invest more we will really see the heights of his management.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
World class manager, that Chelsea team is an extremely capable team but still lacks star pedigree if they invest more we will really see the heights of his management.
Will we? They signed Lukaku, and that was a very expensive mistake so far.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Will we? They signed Lukaku, and that was a very expensive mistake so far.
Bit harsh to call him a mistake after just 10 games.

3 goals in 7 league games.
1 goal in 3 CL games.

Hammondo

That’s a good point! I believe it applies more to united as well because of the talent in the squad we don’t even really need a manager of Tuchels ability.

If we could a manager even just below the standard of Pep, Klopp or Tuchel then we might be in business for a major trophy. Seems we’ve resigned ourselves ti writing off the season though.
Our squad is weaker than all 3 of the top pl teams, it's not really close.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Bit harsh to call him a mistake after just 10 games.

3 goals in 7 league games.
1 goal in 3 CL games.
10 games of static football. Lukaku as a player type changes the way Chelsea plays. He gives Chelsea the option to play different than usually, but so far (he might still become a success, I just don't believe it) this option has been weaker than what we are seeing at the moment.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
10 games of static football. Lukaku as a player type changes the way Chelsea plays. He gives Chelsea the option to play different than usually, but so far (he might still become a success, I just don't believe it) this option has been weaker than what we are seeing at the moment.
I don't disagree with you. On the evidence so far, the team plays better without him but it's still a bit harsh to label him an expensive mistake when he's barely had a chance to settle in. Tuchel was still bedding him in, trying different things around him when he got injured.

Massively over rating our squad.
Not at all surprised to hear that after the start to our season.
Personally I saw something like this eventually coming, Ole is that shit, Cardiff wasn’t a miss step, it was a horrendous manager in freefall.

People said the same about Chelsea just one year ago, fast forward one year with almost exactly the same squad and a top manger, and well….turns out the squad was one of the best and the manager simply wasn’t up to it.

Managers are that important, you bizarrely wouldn’t think so reading this forum the past three years, a United forum no less, which makes it all the stranger (Sir Matt, Sir Alex).

Hammondo

Not at all surprised to hear that after the start to our season.
Personally I saw something like this eventually coming, Ole is that shit, Cardiff wasn’t a miss step, it was a horrendous manager in freefall.
I was saying this before the season started. We value flash over core substance in our players, and now we have feck all substance.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Tuchel is a testament to how integral elite coaching is to a good football team. He's basically taken over the same squad Lampard had and made them title favortes and CL winners in zero time. Even though it's Chelsea, I can't help but feel happy. Our problems are not that deep as suggested. We do not need another 5 world class players to compete, we just need one world class manager.
Got to disagree with this.

Even a world class manager isn't getting a tune out of Wan-Bissaka, Maguire, Fred, McTominay et al. The United squad is really bad. It needs a serious overhaul as well as a new manager. It isn't a one or the other fix.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Even a world class manager isn't getting a tune out of Wan-Bissaka, Maguire, Fred, McTominay et al. The United squad is really bad. It needs a serious overhaul as well as a new manager. It isn't a one or the other fix.
The side was working perfectly fine in the last 2 seasons. You can say there were issues, but those were pretty minor issues from a grand scale of things

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
I'm downloading Chelsea's win not to make our loss good, I'm doing so because no one was waxing lyrical about Arsenal, West Ham or City after they beat Leicester. Chelsea and Ole can both be downplayed :D
We have only lost to Man City, were dominating Liverpool until we had a man sent off and have played all the big teams apart from United. Only conceding 4 goals so far. Whether you want to down play Leicester is up to you but it’s not a one off result.

Managers are important, but it was clear they had some really good players and a coherent squad. Ours simply, before the recent Chelsea success, is clearly worse.
Many people on here said, at the start of the season, we would struggle to get top 4 and our squad is the weak. /shrugs

We have Klopp getting a tune out of a midfield of Milner, Henderson and Keita, we’ve had Fergie getting a tune of out O’Shea, Ando, Cleverley in CM.

Such a lazy post, especially the “et al”. Of course a top manager can get a tune out of Varane, Shaw, Pogba, Fernandes, Sancho, Cavani, Ronaldo, Rashford, Greenwood “et al”.

Many people on here said, at the start of the season, we would struggle to get top 4 and our squad is the weak. /shrugs
Aye.

It’s actually United fans biggest weakness, they don’t put anywhere near enough “weight” onto the quality of the manager. It’s bizarre, especially for a club that have only ever been successful with two great ones.

Some players can be ridiculed for one manager, like Henderson and Milner, yet look absolutely top class for another.

Hammondo

I think he would really like wan-bissaka, he's his type of player.

Vaultech

Aye.

It’s actually United fans biggest weakness, they don’t put anywhere near enough “weight” onto the quality of the manager. It’s bizarre, especially for a club that have only ever been successful with two great ones.

Some players can be ridiculed for one manager, like Henderson and Milner, yet look absolutely top class for another.
It's because United fans have such a great manager in SAF that we end up not paying attention to the value of a good manager.

Unlike fans at other club that have to know when a manager is underperforming and needed to be sacked, United fans don't know when a manager needed to be sacked after spending an entire generation not having to worry about sacking managers.

The United fanbase as a whole is thus less well-informed or well-versed in spotting when a manager is failing compared to the rivals at other club.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
We have Klopp getting a tune out of a midfield of Milner, Henderson and Keita, we’ve had Fergie getting a tune of out O’Shea, Ando, Cleverley in CM.

Such a lazy post, especially the “et al”. Of course a top manager can get a tune out of Varane, Shaw, Pogba, Fernandes, Sancho, Cavani, Ronaldo, Rashford, Greenwood “et al”.
Klopp also has arguably the best player in the world in his squad alongside arguably the best CB and the best RB. Liverpool's team is just far better across the board.

It isn't lazy. I could've mentioned those guys too because I don't rate them anywhere near as highly as most United fans do. Pogba for example is an utter myth. Has bags of talent but has never properly utilised it for a prolonged period of time in a United jersey. I don't think Rashford is that good. I think he's fast and skilful but more often than not his decision making lets him down. Last time I watched him play was seeing an Atalanta player catch up to him with like a 30 yard deficit at Old Trafford because he took so long to get a shot away. Ronaldo and Cavani? They'll be what, 35 and 37 in a few months? Shaw? Another incredibly overrated player. Amazing what a couple of weeks in the summer can do for a players reputation.

Varane, Bruno and Sancho are quality, yes.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Massively over rating our squad.
You guys have overrated your squad many times over the last years, but not this year. Sure your midfield isn't the best, but you have a mass of talent in there. A top manager would easily make them into a real threat.

You guys have overrated your squad many times over the last years, but not this year. Sure your midfield isn't the best, but you have a mass of talent in there. A top manager would easily make them into a real threat.
I’m certain this is the case because it’s the first year where my Liverpool, City, Chelsea and Arsenal supporting mates are saying exactly the same thing. Usually they are the first to call out our shite squad.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Looking good but not unbeatable. That said you have a nice run of matches coming up with only West Ham as a threat unless you count united if they get a little bump from their soon to be caretaker mgr.

Sviken

Klopp also has arguably the best player in the world in his squad alongside arguably the best CB and the best RB. Liverpool's team is just far better across the board.
How good would someone like Salah be in our side... really? Or Van Djik ?Let's be real here, you can take Maguire for Van Djik and we'd still be the same disorganized mess that we are now. Maybe we'd be better in terms of individual quality, but our defensive woes run far deeper than simple player quality. Our attacking woes are the same. Salah would still score goals, like Ronaldo, i'd imagine, but overall he'd be very ineffective all the same. You give this team to a Klopp or Guardiola and he can turn it into title challengers in a few months, I can guarantee that. At the same time, you give City or Liverpool's team to Ole and they'd be fighting for top 4 at best. Same as we do, for that matter.

The manager is by far the most important position in football. We as United fans should know that best given the fact that Fergie won a title with aging past it players and midtable players and later on gave the job to a decent manager in Moyes who barely got the squad to 7th. Our problems are not that deep. Not long ago did people call Chelsea's squad absolute shit in need of a full rebuild and look at them now with a proper manager.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
The manager is by far the most important position in football. We as United fans should know that best given the fact that Fergie won a title with aging past it players and midtable players and later on gave the job to a decent manager in Moyes who barely got the squad to 7th. Our problems are not that deep. Not long ago did people call Chelsea's squad absolute shit in need of a full rebuild and look at them now with a proper manager.
I’m thinking this is going to be your biggest and most important selection of a mgr since saf left united. If you get this one wrong again with an aging Ronaldo and a defense that has lost it’s confidence and a midfield with a Fred in it there might be years in the wilderness. Liverpool years and that’s no picnic. I reckon united have to use a caretaker and get who they really want in the summer.

Sviken

I’m thinking this is going to be your biggest and most important selection of a mgr since saf left united. If you get this one wrong again with an aging Ronaldo and a defense that has lost it’s confidence and a midfield with a Fred in it there might be years in the wilderness. Liverpool years and that’s no picnic. I reckon united have to use a caretaker and get who they really want in the summer.
We can't get it right, tbh. The only solution in Ten Hag is far away and we need one right now. We had one readily set in Conte, but the board bottled that one up massively. Whatever we do, we're fecked. I've already written this season off basically.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
We can't get it right, tbh. The only solution in Ten Hag is far away and we need one right now. We had one readily set in Conte, but the board bottled that one up massively. Whatever we do, we're fecked. I've already written this season off basically.
I would sacrifice the season to get Ten Hag. He just looks the part. A caretaker with the talent on the team might get you in 4th but the ultimate goal is to be relevant again in the league. I think Zidane would be a huge mistake as he just doesn’t fit in the PL imo. The board gets this wrong and I’m thinking another 5 yrs gone.