Chelsea appoint Thomas Tuchel

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It's the truth. Not to mention their players were fresh when the tournament started compared to other clubs from other leagues - for example Atalanta? Some of their players were literally getting cramps after 60min of play vs PSG.
I don't understand this argument - when a season starts, we excuse poor initial performances because we allow for players to reacclimate and get themselves back to full match fitness. Surely it's a penalty for PSG to not have been able to play matches and to get up to speed prior to the tournament - and it's not as if Atalanta or Leipzig were picking up hamstring injuries left and right or anything as a consequence of fatigue.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
I don't understand this argument - when a season starts, we excuse poor initial performances because we allow for players to reacclimate and get themselves back to full match fitness. Surely it's a penalty for PSG to not have been able to play matches and to get up to speed prior to the tournament - and it's not as if Atalanta or Leipzig were picking up hamstring injuries left and right or anything as a consequence of fatigue.
Atalanta played 10 games in a month and then had 1 week of rest not to mention they lost one of their best players in Ilicic. Just look how poor PSG were before the 60th min mark. I have doubts they'd beat Atalanta if there was no virus to feck up the schedule.

cyberman

And Bayern beat the weakest Barcelona in years and Lyon in the one off ties, and a Napoli Chelsea side in transition in the RO16. PSG had Dortmund, Atalanta, and Leipzig. Of the two, PSG had the harder route all things considered.

PSG was the favourite in the quarterfinals and the semis and still progressed - hence the format didn't favour them. It's easier for the better team to win over two legs as opposed to one. This isn't even up for dispute.
Atalanta and a weakened Leipzig are not the hardest route to any CL final. Its one of the easiest Quarter and semi final tie combo in history imo. A team who finished 15 points behind Juve and another who were 16 behind Bayern!
Im just saying the the circumstances last year bears no resemblance to any past CL campaigns due to the change in format and everything around it.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Atalanta and a weakened Leipzig are not the hardest route to any CL final. Its one of the easiest Quarter and semi final tie combo in history imo. A team who finished 15 points behind Juve and another who were 16 behind Bayern!
Im just saying the the circumstances last year bears no resemblance to any past CL campaigns due to the change in format and everything around it.
Feels like splitting hairs. Yes the format was different but you're ignoring the factors that made it more challenging for PSG while focusing solely on the opponents.

Atalanta played 10 games in a month and then had 1 week of rest not to mention they lost one of their best players in Ilicic. Just look how poor PSG were before the 60th min mark. I have doubts they'd beat Atalanta if there was no virus to feck up the schedule.
If PSG had had regular football and been in rhythm coming into the match, I think they'd have smashed Atalanta. As you say, it took them an hour to get back up to speed having not played actual matches for months beforehand.

Bearded One

Even if he’s been with Chelsea the whole season it’d still be too early to judge. By this time next season we would begin to have a better idea. I have always admired Tuchel and his brand of football but I don’t see them challenging for the title next season just yet.

Sylar

They play first today. A win and they are 1 point behind second place (and that puts pressure on the teams ahead). Crazy but that would be 5 league games won in a row which gives them momentum for this second half of the season to maybe take that second place.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Feels like splitting hairs. Yes the format was different but you're ignoring the factors that made it more challenging for PSG while focusing solely on the opponents.

If PSG had had regular football and been in rhythm coming into the match, I think they'd have smashed Atalanta. As you say, it took them an hour to get back up to speed having not played actual matches for months beforehand.
That was because of Atalanta's tired legs - they have no squad depth

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Tuchel throwing his players under the bus already
What do you mean? By subbing off a sub?

I heard the post match interview, he said he took Tammy off because he "couldn't put his stamp on the game" and CHO off because he wasn't happy with his energy.

It's criticism for sure but he didn't blame the defeat on them. I guess he could've lied and said they were injured.

Castia

Not sure this attitude will work at Chelsea, upset the locker room and it only ends in one way and that's the sack.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
That was pretty brutal thing to do to CHO. Was he really playing badly?
I’m not too sure but I think Joe Cole is right — this abrasive, honest appraisal of players on live tv is not going to fly. Especially at Chelsea.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
No he just admitted in the post match interview he wasn't happy 'with his energy' after coming on.
Wow. Not what I would like from my manager, but I guess that’s “German honesty” - I would still prefer the manager to say this to his players in private.

the_cliff

People are overrating Chelsea a bit tbh, the only decent sides they've played under Tuchel are Wolves, Southampton and Spurs (without Kane). Only game they won was against Spurs.

Their next 4 fixtures we should be a better indicator of how good they are.
(Atletico, United, Liverpool, Everton).

Idxomer

Already the most annoying coach in the league and he isn't even that good.

Kag

This fella is perfect for Chelsea. Might win a cup or two and get them playing some good stuff but his dressing room demise can be seen a mile off. Acting like a halfwit on the sidelines might impress a few numpties but it’ll sharp wear thin.

This is Chelsea’s model though, and it’s fair to say that it works reasonably well. When he is sacked, they’ll just replace him with whoever is flavour of the month at the time and on they will go.

Tuchel knows the drill. He’ll get paid a fortune and leave with his reputation mostly intact.

Paxi

Mourinho did it to Joe Cole, he's probably got PTSD about that sort of thing!
I think most players have PTSD from Jose.

What you think about Touchel’s approach? He’s certainly a character.

Paxi

Already the most annoying coach in the league and he isn't even that good.
I don’t think he’s annoying at all. He’s a bit spicy — I like that. Rather that then another drab manager. Though I don’t think it’ll last at Chelsea — he’ll fall out with someone — probably Roman.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain

I have PTSD from Jose, let alone the players!

duffer

Scout

Whether or not he said anything post match, it's obvious to everyone he subbed off CHO because he wasn't happy with his performance. The idea that him actually explaining himself is bad, is pretty silly.

I personally would not have subbed off CHO so I don't like that approach but him explaining why? I think that's good.

Paxi

This fella is perfect for Chelsea. Might win a cup or two and get them playing some good stuff but his dressing room demise can be seen a mile off. Acting like a halfwit on the sidelines might impress a few numpties but it’ll sharp wear thin.

This is Chelsea’s model though, and it’s fair to say that it works reasonably well. When he is sacked, they’ll just replace him with whoever is flavour of the month at the time and on they will go.

Tuchel knows the drill. He’ll get paid a fortune and leave with his reputation mostly intact.
That’s the thing, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that model. It’s actually close to perfect, if the owner is not afraid to axe people quickly and hand out big severance packages.

duffer

Scout
I don’t think he’s annoying at all. He’s a bit spicy — I like that. Rather that then another drab manager. Though I don’t think it’ll last at Chelsea — he’ll fall out with someone — probably Roman.
It ends badly for every manager at Chelsea, that's just the nature of the beast.

Castia

He just seems to have 'disaster' written all over him. I'm not talking about his managerial ability but his attitude and actions on the sideline just don't seem to fit with Chelsea, he's gonna fall out with the squad and upper management probably before the season ends you can see it coming a mile off.

I bet he's not at Chelsea this time next year.

Last edited:

AgentSmith

I thought his interview was brutally honest but still measured in his tone and wording. Not accusatory or angry, just calmly explaining where he thought the game went wrong and why he made the decisions he made.

Joe Cole calling the interview ‘spiky’ is over-egging it. I kinda liked it tbh. No room for doubt in what he’s demanding from his players even if it was humiliating for CHO.

Obviously a risky strategy with that Chelsea dressing room though.

Paxi

Whether or not he said anything post match, it's obvious to everyone he subbed off CHO because he wasn't happy with his performance. The idea that him actually explaining himself is bad, is pretty silly.

I personally would not have subbed off CHO so I don't like that approach but him explaining why? I think that's good.
It’s certainly different to your usual approach most managers take and it’s refreshing as we have something to talk about. And to your other post — yeah it ends for Coaches at Chelsea but essentially it’s a free hit - as their reputation is essentially in tact after, and if they win whist there, then even better.

Paxi

He just seems to have 'disaster' written all over him. I'm not talking about his managerial ability but his attitude and actions on the sideline just don't seem to fit with Chelsea, he's gonna fall out with the squad and upper management probably before the season you can see it coming a mile off.

I bet he's not at Chelsea this time next year.
Well, we shall see in regards to how long his tenure is and I’m certainly paying close interest to him as a coach and as a character.

Kag

That’s the thing, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that model. It’s actually close to perfect, if the owner is not afraid to axe people quickly and hand out big severance packages.
It works for Chelsea as there is an acceptance that this is just the way things are. It’s why managers leave and continue to get good work. Other clubs (United, namely - Liverpool and probably Arsenal, too) are obligated to behave in a more ‘wholesome’ manner, whether we like that or not. It’s also why when things go wrong, managers border on unemployable and the whole atmosphere turns toxic.

duffer

Scout
It’s certainly different to your usual approach most managers take and it’s refreshing as we have something to talk about. And to your other post — yeah it ends for Coaches at Chelsea but essentially it’s a free hit - as their reputation is essentially in tact after, and if they win whist there, then even better.
Its one of the best jobs in the world. 18 months work and then a multi million pound pay off.

Always makes me laugh when I see people say "who would take the Chelsea job?".

Paxi

It works for Chelsea as there is an acceptance that this is just the way things are. It’s why managers leave and continue to get good work. Other clubs (United, namely - Liverpool and probably Arsenal, too) are obligated to behave in a more ‘wholesome’ manner, whether we like that or not. It’s also why when things go wrong, managers border on unemployable and the whole atmosphere turns toxic.
Yeah I agree with all of that. Though I feel like we should have given Jose the fecking boot minutes after Sevilla.

Idxomer

His antics are way over the top and I don't think it's very helpful for the players to see their manager going crazy on the sidelines that much.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
What do you mean? By subbing off a sub?

I heard the post match interview, he said he took Tammy off because he "couldn't put his stamp on the game" and CHO off because he wasn't happy with his energy.

It's criticism for sure but he didn't blame the defeat on them. I guess he could've lied and said they were injured.
Maybe I'm just not as used to managers criticising individual players in public as much as Chelsea fans are. It's one of the reasons why most united fans hated Jose.