Chelsea appoint Thomas Tuchel

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Tuchel was telling CHO what he wanted the entire time he was on the pitch and CHO couldnt be bothered.
Tuchel did the right thing. I respect a manager that is not going to tolerate a player doing his own thing. I also respect he didn't sugar coat it when asked.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Its one of the best jobs in the world. 18 months work and then a multi million pound pay off.

Always makes me laugh when I see people say "who would take the Chelsea job?".
Yeah absolutely. Most managers stock rises after they go to Chelsea. I mean lots still get excellent job, plus, as you say, multimillion pound pay off as well. I bet Touchel ends up managing Madrid or something after.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
What do you mean? By subbing off a sub?

I heard the post match interview, he said he took Tammy off because he "couldn't put his stamp on the game" and CHO off because he wasn't happy with his energy.

It's criticism for sure but he didn't blame the defeat on them. I guess he could've lied and said they were injured.
You got my hopes up here, I seen it at 1-1 at 90 mins when I checked the score and thought I’d missed a late goal after your post :(

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
His antics are way over the top and I don't think it's very helpful for the players to see their manager going crazy on the sidelines that much.
To each their own I guess. Some people complain because coaches show no emotions on the touch line. I mean you have perfectly valid reason for disliking him. I personally think Klopp is massive bellend for doing essentially the same thing but with Touchel I don’t mind it so much.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Sorry, didn't even realise I had posted that!

A draw v Saints does kinda feel like a loss.
I didn’t watch the game but thought it would be a walk in the park for you tbh, was happy enough when I seen 1-1

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's a very good manager and will almost definitely get them back in the top 4 this season IMO, and I'm sure Abramovich will back him so I could see them becoming title challengers as well. Was strange that they were pissing about with Lampard so much, the second they sacked him to get Tuchel in was when I started considering them a proper threat again.

Castia

Tuchel was telling CHO what he wanted the entire time he was on the pitch and CHO couldnt be bothered.
Tuchel did the right thing. I respect a manager that is not going to tolerate a player doing his own thing. I also respect he didn't sugar coat it when asked.

Was he that bad though? I even remember Hoddle saying something along the lines of Chelsea look more of a threat with CHO on

I just get the impression he had a tantrum and wanted somebody to blame

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
One thing is going to happen, our next league game we will see if our attack responds. I think he is going to have an emphasis on it.
We will probably be more cautious with the Atletico match. Against Man Utd, I think he is going to expect a lot more.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Interesting interview for sure, not happy with CHO counter pressing. So hooked. Tammy also hooked as couldn't get in the game essentially.

Our attack is blunt despite all the possession and getting in good positions. Will be interesting to see how players respond and who starts next couple of big games.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Was he that bad though? I even remember Hoddle saying something along the lines of Chelsea look more of a threat with CHO on

He was constantly yelling at CHO, I am not sure exactly what he was yelling? I will take him at his word in the post match that CHO was not getting back. Tuchel has given CHO a lot of responsibility and time on the pitch. More than Lampard did. We will see how CHO responds.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Chairman Steve

I notice that Chilwell has dropped to the bench for Alonso under him. Pretty ballsy to bench the near £50m new fullback who hasnt really put a foot wrong so far.

AgentSmith

What do Chelsea fans think of the formation / personnel choice so far? Seems like some interesting choices all over the pitch.

With everyone fit, what do you think Tuchel sees as his strongest XI?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I notice that Chilwell has dropped to the bench for Alonso under him. Pretty ballsy to bench the near £50m new fullback who hasnt really put a foot wrong so far.
Alonso is a better wingback.

Halftrack

Its one of the best jobs in the world. 18 months work and then a multi million pound pay off.

Always makes me laugh when I see people say "who would take the Chelsea job?".
Going to Chelsea is definitely a win-win for managers. You get credited for doing well, same as any other club, but doing poorly is met with "ah well, nevertheless."

Superunknown

Regarding the decision to substitute a player that has already come on: if you're playing well, then you won't get subbed off. (unless it's for a purely tactical reason or an injury) The idea that substitutes are somehow immune to being subbed back off has always seemed a little silly to me. Sure, it's a little harsh if a player has only just come and players do need time to grow into the game. But, in this instance, Hudson-Odoi had 30 minutes of game time and didn't impress, and the manager should feel free to make the changes that they deem fit. Yes, there's a little something else in there too about "sending a message" to the rest of the squad...which I haven't got too much problem with, tbh. If the same happened with us and Ole decided that a player wasn't pulling his weight and then hooked him, I'd like to think that we would be on his side.

ItDoesntEvenMata

Tuchel throwing his players under the bus already
I don't think this was throwing anyone under the bus - subbing off Hudson-Odoi was a great move and it needed to happen, even though he was a sub. He didn't berate him and said very candidly the work-rate was just not there but tomorrow is another day and it's forgotten. It's nothing like the horrible stuff Jose was putting Shaw through

I'm starting to really like Tuchel at Chelsea and I think Ole could pick up a thing or two from this style of man-management. Clearly in games we are suffering from a lack of effort or quality from certain players - Martial, Lindelof can lose his head on occasion and a couple of others. I'd love to see Ole take a leaf out of Tuchel's book and in those games where Martial clearly isn't at it (you can tell after 10 minutes), just hook him and say the work-rate isn't there but we will go again.

The confidence to set standards and demand them is not throwing players under a bus, it's inviting players to step up, take responsibility and join the bus to success. It's not like many players in this Chelsea team have actually won anything of any note - it's not like going into the Terry, Lampard era team and saying a player was poor. Players need to step up - same goes for our squad and a fair few others in the prem, refreshing to see and now the onus is on Hudson-Odoi, who hasn't exactly ever set the world alight, to kick on and improve.

Last edited:

Castia

Regarding the decision to substitute a player that has already come on: if you're playing well, then you won't get subbed off. (unless it's for a purely tactical reason or an injury) The idea that substitutes are somehow immune to being subbed back off has always seemed a little silly to me. Sure, it's a little harsh if a player has only just come and players do need time to grow into the game. But, in this instance, Hudson-Odoi had 30 minutes of game time and didn't impress, and the manager should feel free to make the changes that they deem fit. Yes, there's a little something else in there too about "sending a message" to the rest of the squad...which I haven't got too much problem with, tbh. If the same happened with us and Ole decided that a player wasn't pulling his weight and then hooked him, I'd like to think that we would be on his side.

I’d understand if the rest we’re playing well but outside of Mason Mount they were all terrible

Unless Giroud wasn’t fully fit I wonder why he didn’t bring him on that’s on the manager

Superunknown

I’d understand if the rest we’re playing well but outside of Mason Mount they were all terrible

Unless Giroud wasn’t fully fit I wonder why he didn’t bring him on that’s on the manager
Just to mention that I didn't watch the game, so I can't personally comment on who I thought was playing well or badly. But, on this one issue of taking off subs, just stating that I think it's acceptable.

I do take the point though that there were other players that could have gone off and that is down to the manager. Sounds like the players were coasting today.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Just to mention that I didn't watch the game, so I can't personally comment on who I thought was playing well or badly. But, on this one issue of taking off subs, just stating that I think it's acceptable.

I do take the point though that there were other players that could have gone off and that is down to the manager. Sounds like the players were coasting today.
i wouldn't say they were coasting, they just were sloppy in the last third. There was not a lot of good link up play.Timo, Tammy, Alonso were not ready to receive passes that any high level player should be getting too. They were not sharp, but that is not to say they were not hustling out there. All mentioned were getting back and pressing immediately. It is a major thing with Tuchel that this always happens. CHO was not hustling back, he was nit responding to Tuchel’s direction even though he was right in front of Tuchel on the pitch. I think Odoi has great potential, but he cant just blow off what the manager is telling him to do.

I respect that Tuchel is direct and is not going to accept half hearted efforts. Others were playing ineffectively, but they were not just jogging back after Southampton got possession. I don't think CHO was shit out there, but he wasn’t hustling either.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Will be interesting to see if Tuchel hands CHO a start against Atletico, giving him the opportunity to show a reaction.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Will be interesting to see if Tuchel hands CHO a start against Atletico, giving him the opportunity to show a reaction.
Reece James looks very ordinary in this system so far. Solid enough defensively but his attacking contribution, which was the thing that made him truly standout before, has become nonexistent. CHO has performed better in the RWB position and honestly I hope he puts him there for the next couple of games.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
To be fair CHO was poor when he came on because I don’t remember he made enough impact on the pitch and off the ball lack of movement as I also remember Alonso made good one touch pass but CHO was static. He also didn’t give Mount an option to pass to. The fact I only remember what he does wrong but nothing he does right in that match sums up why he was subbed off but then again you have to question whether Tuchel and his coaching staffs even gave him instruction before he was brought on at half time to make him clueless, I thought he looked good in previous matches. Player has talent but need to be coached.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Reece James looks very ordinary in this system so far. Solid enough defensively but his attacking contribution, which was the thing that made him truly standout before, has become nonexistent. CHO has performed better in the RWB position and honestly I hope he puts him there for the next couple of games.
I also thought CHO had performed well as a wingback (on both sides), and so far I liked him more there than in the front three. But I guess it remains to be seen if he can provide the required defensive presence consistently.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
That was because of Atalanta's tired legs - they have no squad depth
It seems an equally likely hypothesis to me that it took an hour for PSG to get back to a normal tempo having not played. Obviously there's a middle ground between playing 10 times in a month and not playing for 3 months beforehand; my point is that I don't think one or the other represents a tie-altering disadvantage either way.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

CHO was genuinely atrocious - worst game he's had in a Chelsea shirt by a mile. Tuchel was 100% correct to haul him off.

passing-wind

It's mixed responses I see some fans saying that Chelsea were better with CHO coming on others saying otherwise. I'll maintain what I said last week and what I'll standby, I think Tuchel's man management is questionable but in terms of coaching he's one of the best in the league.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
What do Chelsea fans think of the formation / personnel choice so far? Seems like some interesting choices all over the pitch.

With everyone fit, what do you think Tuchel sees as his strongest XI?
Mendy

Probably very similar to todays 11 but id have James at RWB Zouma Silva Azpi as the 3 CB Chilwell at LWB

Havertz will eventually be a regular in the 11 as will Ziyech. And of course Pulisic.