Chelsea appoint Thomas Tuchel

simplyared

We could have prime Ferguson in charge tonight and I'd still not fancy us to get a good result. Atletico are miles ahead of Chelsea at the moment.

A loss tonight won't really mean he's not had a good start, not in my mind anyway.
Team of oldies!
Goalie's great though. Best there is!

Needham

At least a few posters will be able to repurpose their 'Pep Guardiola is my idol' posts.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
They're pissing La Liga at the moment, Dads Army seems to be getting the job done.
Only 5 points from their last 4 league fixtures and they're without Carrasco & Gimenez to be fair - I was particularly worried about the former potentially exploiting space down our right. I wonder if Tuchel will be bold enough to play CHO at RWB again?

There's probably never a good time to play Atleti but we have a decent chance, especially at a neutral site. Believe they only won 2 of their 6 group matches too.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Atletico not looked great in last few games, game isn't in Madrid and is neutral. So some reasons for hope. Question is if they're still shell shocked after awful defeat on Saturday or come out like a wounded animal?

We have few injuries especially Silva. Might see Havertz again finally? Wonder how CHO reacts to being hooked, who we play in defence and how we setup tactically.

Galeano

Supports
Chelsea
So far the results have been better than the quality of the game, I still have as many doubts about Tuchel as when he arrived, but it was a delicate period and adaptation to the club and a new league.
So his real test starts now.
In less than a month he plays with Atletico Madrid twice, Man Utd, Liverpool, Everton, and Leeds.

I am always of the opinion that a great coach knows how to adapt the best possible game system with the players he has and get the best possible performance from them.

This established craze for playing defense 3 seems to be a far cry from the one that best fits the squad he has, the choice of players also leaves a lot of doubts, it is difficult to believe that he will change much what he has chosen so far so we will see the result of those choices over the next few weeks.

Galeano

Supports
Chelsea
About tonight's game, it's absolutely unpredictable, but I'm not surprised that so many people predict a boring draw.

I think the two teams are more concerned with their respective goals in the national leagues, they are going through a period of some tiredness and instability, I would like to see a vibrant game but it will be very difficult to happen.

My team would be:
Kepa; Chilwell, Zouma, Rudiger, James; Kante, Kovacic, Mount; Werner, Giroud, Hudson Odoi

Tuchel will probably follow through on what he has been using recently.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Good interview. Rio is really good at these. Tuchel comes across really well again.

I found the bit about formations interesting and almost educational (starting at 8:13).

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I hope Chilwell can adapt to what Tuchel wants from the team. When we did not have good results, Ben still had good individual games. I am sure he has the talent to play wingback, but probably something he needs enough training to be efficient. It is a tough spot for Tuchel. The man loves Kante, but Kante has not been great so far this season. Kante, the man, is by far my favorite player on the team. I hate seeing him going through this out of form period.

Last edited:

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea

Good interview. Rio is really good at these. Tuchel comes across really well again.

I found the bit about formations interesting and almost educational (starting at 8:13).
Very insightful interview into the mind of Tuchel, especially the bit on tactics.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Tuchel has only been in England for 2 minutes and Rio has already done an interview, he doesn’t waste any time, good to see. And genuinely happy to see Rio enjoying his (professional) life again after all he went through.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
His name is really hard to make a nickname out of
Joe Cole pronounced Tuchel as 'To Kill' on BT Sport the other day.

On Tuchel generally - I get the feeling chance creation is an issue for the Chelsea team, and he's not on board with his attacking options. He has, however, really tightened them up at the back and made them a lot harder to score against.

It means that tonight should be a draw, and that when we visit Stamford Bridge on the weekend, we should back ourselves to come away with 3 points.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Ole hasnt even completed 2 full seasons with us yet ffs.
Yet we have reached 4 semi finals and counting (in runnng for 6 at the end of the season) finished third and now lay in second.
Well as the biggest club in the country i was naturally assuming you wanted more than being basically 06-13 Arsenal.

If that's actually your expectations then he's doing ok I guess.

cyberman

Well as the biggest club in the country i was naturally assuming you wanted more than being basically 06-13 Arsenal.

Two seasons in and seeing this progress is more than enough, we were never going straight to the top with 1 big window. Its not 10 years of this, its actual progress.
What do you want Ole to do? Spend 250m in one summer and yo yo between 5th and 8th?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain

I assume the “not even completed 2 full seasons yet” was in response to your overly dramatic “worst barren trophy run for 3 decades”.
Maybe we can ask Arsenal to let Arteta join us as manager for his FA Cup winning skills?

Galeano

Supports
Chelsea
It is really good to hear Tuchel speak so naturally, Rio plays a good role too, but I am so reticent about Tuchel´s decisions.

He says that the defense of 3 and the double pivot came from the decision to have Azpi in the team and to be the system that best suited the squad and for me, all this is absolutely wrong.

I think he watched very little or nothing of the recent Chelsea.

And the fact that he thinks that all of this is so correct, working well and that he doesn't plan to change it, is a bad sign for me.

But I hope he proves that my suspicions are completely wrong over the next few weeks.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Two seasons in and seeing this progress is more than enough, we were never going straight to the top with 1 big window. Its not 10 years of this, its actual progress.
What do you want Ole to do? Spend 250m in one summer and yo yo between 5th and 8th?
Okay then so out of curiosity when is the point he has to start translating top 4 and getting to semi's to sustained title challenges and winning semi finals?

And you're right about Lampard, he did a very good job last season and i would debate anyone on that but this season he wasn't showing any progress and with a heavy heart had to go, whenever I'm asked why I turned relatively quickly my response was "there's a fine line between patience and putting your expectations in the gutter".

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
I hope Chilwell can adapt to what Tuchel wants from the team. When we did not have good results, Ben still had good individual games. I am sure he has the talent to play wingback, but probably something he needs enough training to be efficient. It is a tough spot for Tuchel. The man loves Kante, but Kante has not been great so far this season. Kante, the man, is by far my favorite player on the team. I hate seeing him going through this out of form period.
Kante clearly doesn't meet the standards to play in a Tuchel midfield, sure he'll do all the usual tackling and stuff, but his passing ability leaves a lot to be desired and we always loose control of the midfield when he's on the pitch. Jorginho has been our best midfielder since Tuchel's arrival. Any manager looking to play proper football will always go for Jorginho. Think he was rested against Southampton for the subsequent big games and I'll be surprised if he's not starting tonight.
Personally I think Kante is done and I wouldn't mind if we moved him on whiles his stocks are still high enough (like we failed to do with Willian)

cyberman

Okay then so out of curiosity when is the point he has to start translating top 4 and getting to semi's to sustained title challenges and winning semi finals?

And you're right about Lampard, he did a very good job last season and i would debate anyone on that but this season he wasn't showing any progress and with a heavy heart had to go, whenever I'm asked why I turned relatively quickly my response was "there's a fine line between patience and putting your expectations in the gutter".
We should be making a proper challenge from next year on. Even now we are 10 points behind City and we play each other next week so its not as if we are miles off as we stand. Who says we cant win there, get it to 7 and position ourselves to put them under proper pressure to not drop points again and open it up? Its not that far fetched and makes this failure talk premature.
Nobody was expecting us to be second with 13 games left. Hell all Chelsea fans and pundits had you, liverpool and City miles ahead of the rest so coming out saying why is Ole not winning league titles when we havent even completed his second full season is ridiculous imo.
Lets be honest here, theres a weird rivalry on this forum between Utd and Chelsea fans from last season that has carried over even though hindsight shows Utd fans were on the right side of history.
Chelsea have failed all year and its hard to give Utd any sort of credit because of that so higher standards are plucked from the sky to make it look as if both clubs are failures.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Azpi, Alonzo, Tammy, and Emerson starting according to Kinsella.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Hudson-Odoi starts at RWB, according to Chelsea FC twitter.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Just looked at the actual line up. This is going to be a match of pass the ball around and hope some on defense falls asleep.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
We should be making a proper challenge from next year on. Even now we are 10 points behind City and we play each other next week so its not as if we are miles off as we stand. Who says we cant win there, get it to 7 and position ourselves to put them under proper pressure to not drop points again and open it up? Its not that far fetched and makes this failure talk premature.
Nobody was expecting us to be second with 13 games left. Hell all Chelsea fans and pundits had you, liverpool and City miles ahead of the rest so coming out saying why is Ole not winning league titles when we havent even completed his second full season is ridiculous imo.
Lets be honest here, theres a weird rivalry on this forum between Utd and Chelsea fans from last season that has carried over even though hindsight shows Utd fans were on the right side of history.
Chelsea have failed all year and its hard to give Utd any sort of credit because of that so higher standards are plucked from the sky to make it look as if both clubs are failures.
Excellent post. It’s funny seeing all the Chelsea posters I was debating with in the summer crawling back out the woodwork after a few wins.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Hudson-Odoi starts at RWB, according to Chelsea FC twitter.
Puts him straight back in the line-up away at Atletico fecking Madrid after piblicly criticising him. I love it.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
both of our clubs will finish top 4 anyway

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Puts him straight back in the line-up away at Atletico fecking Madrid after piblicly criticising him. I love it.
Yeah, we speculated about that after the Southampton game. Makes a lot of sense, considering how Tuchel quite clearly framed his criticism as motivation.

As for today's match: Chelsea really needs to up their game in the attacking third. Don't think what they showed so far will be enough against Atletico. CHO at RWB is a good move in that regard, but I remain sceptical.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It is really good to hear Tuchel speak so naturally, Rio plays a good role too, but I am so reticent about Tuchel´s decisions.

He says that the defense of 3 and the double pivot came from the decision to have Azpi in the team and to be the system that best suited the squad and for me, all this is absolutely wrong.

I think he watched very little or nothing of the recent Chelsea.

And the fact that he thinks that all of this is so correct, working well and that he doesn't plan to change it, is a bad sign for me.

But I hope he proves that my suspicions are completely wrong over the next few weeks.
Azpilicueta struggled under Lampard because our attack was dependent on fullbacks overlapping and our defense was dependent on fullbacks defending 1v1 in wide areas. The RCB role fits Azpi to a T at this point - he doesn't have to get into overlapping positions (his early crosses are far better than his cutbacks for whatever reason), he's rarely isolated 1v1 against pacy dribblers, and in possession he's comfortable receiving the ball in wide areas on our side of the pitch which allows the RWB to push forward.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, we speculated about that after the Southampton game. Makes a lot of sense, considering how Tuchel quite clearly framed his criticism as motivation.

As for today's match: Chelsea really needs to up their game in the attacking third. Don't think what they showed so far will be enough against Atletico. CHO at RWB is a good move in that regard, but I remain sceptical.
Yeah I hope CHO has a great game, vindication that kind of tough but fair man management.

As for the game, yeah they will be an extremely tough nut to crack and they can threaten us on the break. I'm expecting a narrow defeat.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Big test number 1 - Passed

Get in there. Although i still expect it to be downplayed somehow...

Wayne's World

Famous last words but we'll beat Chelsea on Sunday. I think Tuchel has done well so far but seems like they are still in honeymoon mode. Can see us changing that on Sunday