Chelsea appoint Thomas Tuchel

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Good performance, especially Christensen, Jorginho, decent goal by Giroud too. Counter pressing was sharper today. CHO treatment got the message across?

We look solid. Still lack in the final third though, very frustrating at times getting in positions but not creating clear chances. Shame PL doesn't allow 5 subs also.

USREDEVIL

Good performance, especially Christensen, Jorginho, decent goal by Giroud too. Counter pressing was sharper today. CHO treatment got the message across?

We look solid. Still lack in the final third though, very frustrating at times getting in positions but not creating clear chances. Shame PL doesn't allow 5 subs also.
As a Chelsea fan are you not a bit disappointed in having thrown Lampard out in the cold after less than one season?

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Famous last words from @Wayne's World
I think those words may come back to bite him. Im confident against Utd

I think most expected us to lose tonight - but we won, and its still "honeymoon" mode. When does it finally get recognised that he has changed the side, and we do look better as a unit since his appointment. Cant keep using the honeymoon excuse

Irwin99

I didn't see it but impressive win and a clean sheet. I thought he might have had his first defeat tonight.

I'm guessing we should expect possession football vs counter attack blitz on Sunday? Ole vs Tuchel round 5! Interesting that the away team has won on the previous 4 meetings ;)

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I didn't see it but impressive win and a clean sheet. I thought he might have had his first defeat tonight.

I'm guessing we should expect possession football vs counter attack blitz on Sunday? Ole vs Tuchel round 5! Interesting that the away team has won on the previous 4 meetings ;)
There's no way you will park the bus the same way Atletico did tonight. They genuinely played a back 6.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
That was an perfect executed away game in the CL against a tricky side. Probably the best I’ve seen Chelsea play this season. Atletico were really poor though.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Tuchel's Chelsea now with only 2 goals conceded after 8 games. Only 10 scored, but it mostly was enough so far.

Fanta Stick

I think most expected us to lose tonight - but we won, and its still "honeymoon" mode. When does it finally get recognised that he has changed the side, and we do look better as a unit since his appointment. Cant keep using the honeymoon excuse
It's quite alarming how quickly Tuchel has turned Chelsea into a seemingly well drilled cohesive unit. They are not there in terms of being a fun watch and creating lots of chances but I am sure that will follow with all the attacking talent at their disposal.

I am quite happy though that he doesn't seem to have Ziyech & Pulisic in his plans, at least not with his preferred system. I would have had Ziyech in for Werner tonight though, playing behind Giroud.

I think Sunday has 0-0 or 1-1 written all over it.

Statue of Limitations

Well Chelsea's timing of the appointment was pretty good, has the team looking like it can go places, fully expect them to be Top 4 and would love to see them do well in the CL, not win it mind, but Semis.

Jaxa

That was an perfect executed away game in the CL against a tricky side. Probably the best I’ve seen Chelsea play this season. Atletico were really poor though.
I watched the first half and bit parts of the second , Chelsea were equally as poor, especially in that first half, one of the worst CL game I have seen in ages, terrible football on show from both clubs,

With the squad Chelsea have they are massively underachieving and almost getting a free ride from criticism in the media, I've seen nothing from them yet under Tuchel that worries me and I know if we are to lose against them this week it will be due to our own doing and idiotic mistakes as per rather than being outplayed by Chelsea because we are a much better team than them.

el3mel

This is reflecting really poorly on Lampard. He was massively underperforming with this squad.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I watched the first half and bit parts of the second , Chelsea were equally as poor, especially in that first half, one of the worst CL game I have seen in ages, terrible football on show from both clubs,

With the squad Chelsea have they are massively underachieving and almost getting a free ride from criticism in the media, I've seen nothing from them yet under Tuchel that worries me and I know if we are to lose against them this week it will be due to our own doing and idiotic mistakes as per rather than being outplayed by Chelsea because we are a much better team than them.
I mean that's a ridiculous take, especially as you admit you didn't even watch the whole match. Atletico didn't have a shot on target and played a literal 6-3-1 - no neutral who watched that game in good faith could possibly think we were as poor. At least we tried to create things; they were content to play for the 0-0 it seemed like.

Trophy Room

:lol: Is that a tuchelism?

Jaxa

I mean that's a ridiculous take, especially as you admit you didn't even watch the whole match. Atletico didn't have a shot on target and played a literal 6-3-1 - no neutral who watched that game in good faith could possibly think we were as poor. At least we tried to create things; they were content to play for the 0-0 it seemed like.
It's really not, i mentioned how much i watched as maybe I missed a 10-15 min decent spell from Chelsea but bar Hudson-Odoi your attack was non existent and for the talent you have in that team you should be doing so much better, I am not even trying to wind Chelsea fans up, I am just shocked at how bad you guys are in attack

Nickholas

Supports
Chelsea
As a Chelsea fan are you not a bit disappointed in having thrown Lampard out in the cold after less than one season?
Can you remind me how long Frank was Chelsea manager.
And how long are you going to keep asking that question

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal

I've definitely been very impressed by Tuchel's work so far. But the whole point of the concept of the honeymoon is that everything is easier in the short term, as everybody is playing their hardest to impress the new manager, nobody is complaining yet about reduced playing time, and other managers don't have enough film on you to figure out exactly what you're doing and how to best set up against you. As such, its perfectly possible to have changed the side and make you look better while also enjoying a honeymoon. They are completely consistent with each other and only time can tell whether there was a honeymoon effect at work or not.

The one thing I am very willing to say at this point is that Lampard was not getting nearly as much out of the side as he should have been. I think its impressive not only that Tuchel has the team looking better but also that he saw so clearly that a different system, which would actually really prioritize different players, could instantly make an improvement.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It's really not, i mentioned how much i watched as maybe I missed a 10-15 min decent spell from Chelsea but bar Hudson-Odoi your attack was non existent and for the talent you have in that team you should be doing so much better, I am not even trying to wind Chelsea fans up, I am just shocked at how bad you guys are in attack
Atletico played the whole match with 6 defenders in their final line! Their only gameplan was for Suarez to try to dive to hold the ball up; otherwise they were playing for the clean sheet. Pushing additional players forward would have been ridiculous especially in the first leg of the tie; it was entirely sensible to focus on defending potential counters against an Atleti who are very good in transition.

It's frankly a bit ridiculous to nitpick the performance when we won away (technically) against easily the best 2nd place side in the competition.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I thought Chelsea played ok but Atletico really didn't turn up. Great finish for the goal though.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm

I think they were the better team the whole match. Of course they been underachieving massively under Lampard. I mean they are still playing with Abraham and Giroud as starters leaving Havertz, Ziyech and Pulisic out almost every game. That must be a little disappointing for Abramovich.

But they look better overall under Tuchel and probably needs this season to find the right balance. Atletico are no pushovers so what did you expect them to do? Not even Liverpool could knock them out last year.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I thought it was a shakey start, we easily could have conceeded a goal. Then we got our feet under us. Then we played better.
If you following Chelsea it is easy to watch Tuchel’s approach. He spends a lot of time on defending. I think the attack will evolve. He really seems invested in getting Werner to understand how to get himself into attacking runs. It will pay in the long run. I think he will bring Havertz along slowly and build a solid player instead of throwing him on the pitch and figure it out. I’m not sure where Pulisic is in the long term plan? His injuries are not helping him.

Silva back for Man Utd would be nice. He reads the game so well and is a calming influence.

I think Too Kill is the real deal.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Galeano

Supports
Chelsea
It was really difficult to be able to watch the complete game, Atletico Madrid is the anti-football, the only positives of the game is the victory and the beautiful goal of the always undervalued Giroud!

Atletico de Madrid was only for the nil-nil, with a shameful 6-3-1, looking like an amateur team.

And speaking of Chelsea I still have a lot of doubts about this system, with this choice of players, the results have been flattering but I am not convinced.

The team does not know what to do in the last 30 meters of the field, there is a lot of difficulties to create chances and we see a lot of bad decisions, in this scenario I just ask that at least do not commit stupidity of returning to sit Giroud on the bench.

And something resigned I lose hope to see a defense of 4, Chilwell return, a more fluid attack, and the best players in their positions ...

Raredaredevil

You were actually favourites. The odds shifted from you as an underdog to favourites yesterday so actually you were expected to win. I'm worried about facing you on Sunday, I think we will get thrashed. We have not beaten a top six team this season, worrying.

simplyared

Good performance against a well drilled defensive unit. Thought it was men against the boys in the beginning but then his youngsters took over and moved the ball around well. A tough nut to crack, but they got the goal in the end. Shrewd of him to put Giroud in. He's got a strong squad of players definately. Thinking about his subs which I believe he utilizes to the max.

Caesar2290

Then we will smash you. Usually it works against the general feeling. You guys were dreading facing Athletico, but you did great. Now you're eager to face, and we'll punish you for it. Joking aside though, I expect it to be really tight match, probably 1-1 or 2-1 for either side.

The reason people bring out the "honeymoon" excuse is simply because they can't accept that a manager can change the way a team plays in just 1 month. Ole had 2 years and we're still in transition. So when a manager is doing change within 1 month and making you lot competitive it can't be because he is competent, that would show up the excuses made for our own manager.

RooneyLegend

Who knew that replacing a man who got the job in a lucky packet would get outdone by someone who's actually proved his worth at the profession?

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Autocorrect? That's one hell of a way to write that name!
One of the BT pundits is using this way of saying his name. If you watch his pressers it is fitting. Tuchel likes using the verb kill. We must kill the goal in the final 30 meters. At PSG he was against the compacted schedule saying we are going to kill the players with this ridiculous schedule.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I would wait for the second leg, Simeone is an old fox and Atletico already did the trick last year.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I would wait for the second leg, Simeone is an old fox and Atletico already did the trick last year.
No doubt. I think this result gets further buy in from the players on this way of playing a more balanced defense and attack, although the attack needs more refinement. As long as he has all this talent marching in the same direction. At the end of Super Frank's time I was looking forward to this match like a trip to the dentist's office.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Fi
I've said it before, and i will say it again, Tammy Abraham is nowhere near good enough for a team who want to win the title. Not even close. I often see our fans defending him massively, and its all down to him being an academy product. He's bang average at best
For a backup striker i don't see what the problem is. His goal record record for us is good, hard to find good centre forwards willing to be backup.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Looking forward to smashing this lot and knocking this new crowd of hipsters jumping onto the Tuchel bandwagon. Ole has already beaten his superior team twice, I fancy us to roll them over.
When do Utd ever smash Chelsea at stamford bridge? I never get the whole we "going to smash you lot etc" if very rarely happens. Some Utd fans were saying the same thing last season before the FA cup semi final when you were on that good run and it didn't happen.
Ole struggles agains't Arteta, does that mean anything to you? Im never that bothered about manager head to heads.