Chelsea appoint Thomas Tuchel

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He'll be getting some serious backing this coming summer by the rumor's currently going around. I'd say he's earned the trust of Roman for a while
Wait 'till they fail to bring the player he wants...
Can't see him getting sacked for anything other than performance unfortunately. As I said a few pages back, he isn't a difficult/weird personality like Jose, more like outspoken and direct, and the sports washers didn't like that.
Lost his previous two jobs because he fell out with management. He's a sexier Conte without the overinflated ego

SaboTaj

You’ve gotta give Tuchel his props, he at least from a results perspective has completely turned it around for Chelsea; and to add to that they’ve also started playing more fluid attacking football in the last few weeks.

I’ll hold my hands up, I didn’t really rate him that much before his move to Chelsea. Back when he was appointed i didn’t think he was the right guy for that Chelsea job because i never saw him as someone who could fix them defensively, but he has actually made them pretty rock solid at the back. What impresses me most is how he has adopted a system based on the players he has at his disposal instead of trying to forcefit them into some hyped-up philosophy.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Its like 2 league titles in 10 years buddy! Calm your horses! 1 league title since Jose left (seems like decades ago)
True but widen it out and it is:

2 Leagues
1 CL + a final
2 Europa Leagues
+ quite a few domestic cups + finals

I am not entirely sure how they do it but their system is one of the most successful in England. It is essentially a trophy every season for them. If they beat City in the CL final, it would be hard to say they haven't had a better decade than City.

@Redfrog

At PSG, Tuchel wanted Thiago Silva to have his contract renewed and insisted all over the season. Leonardo didn't make the necessary. Then Leonardo started to negotiate with the Brazilian defender after the champions League but it was too late. Also PSG wanted the players to reduce their salaries during the pandemic and according to some rumours Thiago Silva blocked this, which may have made Leonard bitter but that's just speculation in the news.

Tuchel then wanted a defender to replace Thiago Silva and was interested in rudiger. Thiago Silva hasn't been replaced and a central midfielder Danilo came. To make fun of Leonardo he decided to deploy Danilo as a central defender and also because he prefers marquinhos as a midfielder.

PSG lost several players like rabiot, meunier because end of contract... And failed to sign psg academy players their 1st professional contract like kouassi now at Bayern and he complained about it in the pressz criticizing the club, in other words Leonardo.

The assistant of tuchel made also odd interviews.

Tuchel was about to bench icardi during the whole season and did prefer for good reasons Kean. The issue is that Leonardo paid 50 millions for icardi and Kean is likely to return to Everton next season because there is no buy clause in his loan contract.

Also, in some way, tuchel started to irritate mbappe by replacing him during some games. The issue is the club needs mbappe to be happy in order to have a chance to renew his contract.

The case of Danilo is very emblematic of the tensions between the coach and Leonardo.

Just before being sacked I think he said in an interview that there were too much politics at psg which is a very political club.
That sounds ridiculous. If that happened at Utd half of the Caf would want Leonardo gone.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
That sounds ridiculous. If that happened at Utd half of the Caf would want Leonardo gone.
To be fair, Leonardo is up there with Salihamidzsic as being one of the worse directors out there. Was totally embarrassing when he tried publicly tapping up Hazard.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
These days, he is disappointing but this former PSG player was recruited by Qatar in 2011 and engineered the PSG team of the last decade via his Serie A and Brazilian networks by bringing Ancelotti, Pastore, Lavezzi, Zlatan, Verratti, Thiago Silva, Motta, Marquinhos,... He also picked other Brazilian players like Alex, Lucas Moura and Maxwell...

That's why he has a special status despite some recent mistakes

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Lost his previous two jobs because he fell out with management. He's a sexier Conte without the overinflated ego
Difference is he's been on the right side of history in retrospect whereas Conte hasn't been. Conte pushed for us to sign Alex Sandro for €70m, was pissed we signed Rudiger instead of Bonucci, and also wanted to sign the corpses of Nainggolain, Alexis Sanchez, and Fernando Llorente.

Basically every Chelsea fan should be grateful the board vetoed all of those moves. Tuchel on the other hand has clearly been vindicated in all his prior conflicts with the board - Icardi is useless, Thiago Silva is still an asset this season, PSG's squad is poorly constructed, Dortmund shouldn't have agreed to play the day after their bus got bombed, etc.

Obviously this could very well be typical propaganda but it's been reported that Tuchel is very happy with the clearly defined power structure in place at Chelsea - the hierarchy aren't going to interfere with him, and there are now clear roles in place to liaise with the board (e.g. what Cech is doing). Obviously this isn't to suggest that he's likely to be here for a decade or anything, but I do think the notion that he's purely here for the short term might be misguided.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
There's a lot made out of Tuchel because he's 1) beaten Pep twice and 2) in the CL final. But his CL final run isn't that impressive when you consider how epically shite Atletico and Real are. And he's beaten Pep which is great but City aren't unbeatable. We've done it and worn the t-shirt a few times but Ole won't get anywhere near the level of praise.
Those "but"'s :lol: :lol:

Amazing stuff

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Obviously this could very well be typical propaganda but it's been reported that Tuchel is very happy with the clearly defined power structure in place at Chelsea - the hierarchy aren't going to interfere with him, and there are now clear roles in place to liaise with the board (e.g. what Cech is doing). Obviously this isn't to suggest that he's likely to be here for a decade or anything, but I do think the notion that he's purely here for the short term might be misguided.
Dortmund also has very clear roles, that did not stop him from clashing with their board. But I agree with you, as long as there are no similar situations happening at Chelsea I don't see him leaving soon.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Dortmund also has very clear roles, that did not stop him from clashing with their board. But I agree with you, as long as there are no similar situations happening at Chelsea I don't see him leaving soon.
Yeah I think that's fair but I also think Chelsea have tried in recent years to establish lines of vertical communication that didn't necessarily exist previously - it's probably unlikely that they'd not consult him in personnel decisions at this point given they've obviously done so with the last few managers. Also think it should be pointed out that Tuchel has talked candidly about his own mistakes and the need to grow and get better - again possibly a lot of optimism on my part I'll grant!

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
What do you mean? There are some posts blowing Tuchel when the oppositions he's faced, bar City, have been wank.
Sorry. Just thought the "he beat City BUT City isn't unbeatable" was pretty funny. But I'm drunk now, need to stop posting.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Sorry. Just thought the "he beat City BUT City isn't unbeatable" was pretty funny. But I'm drunk now, need to stop posting.
Ha, you get what I mean though. Us, Leeds and Chelsea did it recently enough but there seems to be some representation like City is unbeatable. They actually suit managers like Ole and Tuchel to have a more than fair shot of getting all 3 pts.

That's not to say they are easy fixtures of course and credit where its due. I just think the praise of Tuchel is overplayed right now because he's in a good moment.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah I think that's fair but I also think Chelsea have tried in recent years to establish lines of vertical communication that didn't necessarily exist previously - it's probably unlikely that they'd not consult him in personnel decisions at this point given they've obviously done so with the last few managers. Also think it should be pointed out that Tuchel has talked candidly about his own mistakes and the need to grow and get better - again possibly a lot of optimism on my part I'll grant!
Yep the self awareness and willingness to try and grow as a character is defiently encouraging and refreshing when compared to Conte who could have deliberately ran over Roman's cat on camera and still would have found a way to portray himself as the wronged one.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
There's a lot made out of Tuchel because he's 1) beaten Pep twice and 2) in the CL final. But his CL final run isn't that impressive when you consider how epically shite Atletico and Real are. And he's beaten Pep which is great but City aren't unbeatable. We've done it and worn the t-shirt a few times but Ole won't get anywhere near the level of praise.
He deserves way more credit than this. I told people that I thought Chelsea could make it to the final from their half of the CL draw and got ridiculed. That shows the level of his achievement.

We can’t turn it around now and say ‘well it wasn’t actually all that impressive’ and ‘Real aren’t that good’, cos no one was saying that when they beat Liverpool, who have been poor this season but still, Real got a lot of praise and all I saw was people talking about how Zidane was absolutely incapable of losing a CL knockout tie and other such craziness.

Frank Sinatra Fan

Ha, you get what I mean though. Us, Leeds and Chelsea did it recently enough but there seems to be some representation like City is unbeatable. They actually suit managers like Ole and Tuchel to have a more than fair shot of getting all 3 pts.

That's not to say they are easy fixtures of course and credit where its due. I just think the praise of Tuchel is overplayed right now because he's in a good moment.
There is no team "unbeatable", players are human. Factors such as luck, bad day for you, great day for the opposition and so on influence a lot. But City had an incredible series of 28 consecutive victories in all competitions in this season, which ended with a 2-0 loss to United. Afterwards, in April, they played their B-team more often and I hope those results against Leeds and Chelsea proved once and for all that it's a lie that City's B-team could win the PL, much less the CL.

But beating City deserves great praise anyway, saying "they beat City, but City isn't an unbeatable" is a bullshit argument, as if only him beating a team of Guardiola's Barcelona level would prove how well he has been doing so far (and even Guardiola's Barcelona wasn't unbeatable, no team can be).

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Yep the self awareness and willingness to try and grow as a character is defiently encouraging and refreshing when compared to Conte who could have deliberately ran over Roman's cat on camera and still would have found a way to portray himself as the wronged one.
Worth mentioning that Tuchel's conflicts with the management always had specific reasons unlikely to occur in Chelsea:

Mainz: Wanted to leave but wasn't allow.

Dortmund: Wanted them to buy immediate improvements (some very weird ones, like Schurrle) instead of long term prospects (like Sancho) and not lose players because he wanted to compete for titles (already does so). The Dortmund officiaks were right in tgis case as time has proven. Also the bus bomb incident.

Paris: First, we didn't get to see the 'real' Tuchel there because he had to make many compromises for not only one but two star players with at least at times questionable work rates. Second, the squad was assembled with a budget that primarily was reserves for Mbappe and Neymar and they had to 'make due' on a lot of different positions and look for cheap solutions. It's unlikely that he'll encounter similar difficulties at Chelsea which has a much more balanced team and currently has depth in every position. A large proportion of PSG players partly even starters at certain points in time, wouldn't even make the match day squad of Chelsea (Kehrer, Choupo-Moting, Draxler, Bernat, ...) .

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Difference is he's been on the right side of history in retrospect whereas Conte hasn't been. Conte pushed for us to sign Alex Sandro for €70m, was pissed we signed Rudiger instead of Bonucci, and also wanted to sign the corpses of Nainggolain, Alexis Sanchez, and Fernando Llorente.

Basically every Chelsea fan should be grateful the board vetoed all of those moves. Tuchel on the other hand has clearly been vindicated in all his prior conflicts with the board - Icardi is useless, Thiago Silva is still an asset this season, PSG's squad is poorly constructed, Dortmund shouldn't have agreed to play the day after their bus got bombed, etc.

It's not about being right though, ultimately he's an employee, and he has to keep a good working relationship with his bosses. His history proves he has trouble doing that

Maybe chelsea will be different, but i would not be surprised if this goes the way of his previous two jobs, is what i'm saying

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Nah, not everytime. The players he demanded at Dortmund according to reports were comically awful. They wouldn't have gotten Dembele and Sancho if Tuchel had been in charge, apparently, but players in the mould of Schürrle. He's not especially great at identifying good value for money transfers or emphasizing the long term perspective over the short term one.

But that's less of an issue now at Chelsea because the team is stacked with talent in every position.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Tuchel is a good manager, and Chelsea have some really good players (there's a reason many tipped them to finish 2nd/3rd,and it wasn't Lampard)

It's a good match-up.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
However, there's no doubting he'll start to get in Pep's head.
Precisely this. You undeniably know that nerd Guardiola will over-think the final in a few weeks now on the back of this result and will try something he believes Tuchel and Chelsea won’t have prepared for but absolutely bamboozle his own players as well in the process.

You love to see it! :drool:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It's not about being right though, ultimately he's an employee, and he has to keep a good working relationship with his bosses. His history proves he has trouble doing that

Maybe chelsea will be different, but i would not be surprised if this goes the way of his previous two jobs, is what i'm saying
Yeah think that's very reasonable.

Nah, not everytime. The players he demanded at Dortmund according to reports were comically awful. They wouldn't have gotten Dembele and Sancho if Tuchel had been in charge, apparently, but players in the mould of Schürrle. He's not especially great at identifying good value for money transfers or emphasizing the long term perspective over the short term one.

But that's less of an issue now at Chelsea because the team is stacked with talent in every position.
Yeah that's a fair critique but also encouraging that that won't really be part of his remit at Chelsea as you say.

dal

If Chelsea win they’ll be one behind us but I still prefer if they do.

Will hit PSG and citeh hard.

Redlyn

So between Chelsea and City someone is getting a double this season. He could get a huge double after just few month in charge. Same trophy he tried and tried and failed to get with psg. Would be amazing for him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He deserves way more credit than this. I told people that I thought Chelsea could make it to the final from their half of the CL draw and got ridiculed. That shows the level of his achievement.

We can’t turn it around now and say ‘well it wasn’t actually all that impressive’ and ‘Real aren’t that good’, cos no one was saying that when they beat Liverpool, who have been poor this season but still, Real got a lot of praise and all I saw was people talking about how Zidane was absolutely incapable of losing a CL knockout tie and other such craziness.
Given I wasn't one of these people you mention, I'm not turning anything around. As I said, Real are wank and Chelseas squad is very capable of reaching the final, especially given the sides they faced thus far.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Precisely this. You undeniably know that nerd Guardiola will over-think the final in a few weeks now on the back of this result and will try something he believes Tuchel and Chelsea won’t have prepared for but absolutely bamboozle his own players as well in the process.

You love to see it! :drool:
The formation City played yesterday already looked like this kind of overthinking. Guardiola tried something different then in the FA Cup, and lost again. Arguably the players in both matches were not Guardiolas first choice who will play in the final, but the same can be said (to a lesser extent) for Chelsea's team, especially yesterday.

The real question regarding the match yesterday for me is: Did Guardiola believe he could really beat Chelsea with this setup? If he did, than this will worry him a lot. Or did he as some have suggested do something completely different on purpose, so that Chelsea can not use this match to prepare for the CL final? If that's the case, he has less to worry about tactically and might not see the need to overthink.

But nevertheless Chelsea did beat a City team that tried two different systems and can have the confidence that it does not matter much, what Guardiola's idea is - they now know they can beat his side regardless. While City knows they do not yet have a successful setup against Chelsea...

cyberman

What's his league record like, have they been the best in the league since he took over?
They have 2 points more than us. Which is weird since he was in charge when our Sheff Utd etc results happened. Youd expect a little better.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
What's his league record like, have they been the best in the league since he took over?
Quite a few stupid draws, so no, City are still top of the league in the period since Tuchel has been here.

I think they've gained something like 5 points more than Chelsea and 7-8 points more than United.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Good but not amazing. Chelsea have had draws against: Wolves, Soton, Leeds, Brighton and Utd since he came in and inexplicably lost 5-2 to WBA. However, from where he picked them up, you do need to give quite a bit of credit as they looked like they were falling apart.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Chelsea’s boom bust strategy works well. Although there is a reason they have never been the dominant force in England. Still, the timing of so many managerial sackings has been on point. They’ve plenty of trophies to show for it.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Good but not amazing. Chelsea have had draws against: Wolves, Soton, Leeds, Brighton and Utd since he came in and inexplicably lost 5-2 to WBA. However, from where he picked them up, you do need to give quite a bit of credit as they looked like they were falling apart.
It's obvious that he focused on fixing the defence when he came in. Not conceding goals is great to ensure you stay in cups, but it will give you quite a lot of draws when your team also does not score goals. This will be Tuchel's biggest challenge for next year - getting the forwards up to speed, while not sacrifing the defensive stability.

He even said when he started at Chelsea that he is there to win titles - this season he wanted to challenge for CL and FA Cup. Looks like he did the right decision as he reached both finals and is still on track to CL qualification in the league, while not as good as City, but that does not matter to Tuchel this season as long as Chelsea qualifies for CL.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
PSG, Bayern or City. With the squad Chelsea have, that should be their relative level. They were just fortunate to be on the other side, so it's now just a 90 minute takes all against City.
Well we have to play Man City in the final so il ignore them, PSG!? they aren't even first in the French league, were lucky to beat Bayern and fell apart VS City after the first half in the first leg. Not sure why you rate PSG so highly. Bayern a bit unlucky vs PSG but without Lewandowski they struggled to score, the same couldn't of happened against us. So i dont really agree with your point. Plus we beaten Man City twice this season ok not at full strength but neither were we yesterday.

Porto on paper were the weakest team we had to play in our CL run and gave us our two hardest games.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Given I wasn't one of these people you mention, I'm not turning anything around. As I said, Real are wank and Chelseas squad is very capable of reaching the final, especially given the sides they faced thus far.
They’re not ‘wank’ though are they? Just ageing. With a lot of experience. You can’t call a side that won the tournament 3 years running ‘wank’.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
They’re not ‘wank’ though are they? Just ageing. With a lot of experience. You can’t call a side that won the tournament 3 years running ‘wank’.
I can, because they are far from the same outfit that won the CL 3 years running. The team has been progressively on a decline in each of the last 3 seasons and are now pretty wank. PSG, City, Chelsea with their squads would likely eat them for dinner. I reckon if we had made it out the group stages we'd be able to put them aside too, in a similar conviction to Chelsea. It was quite clear since last season for me that they have dropped a tier, and definitely confirmed it when Shakhtar beat them back to back in this campaign :lol:.

This is far from the Real side that won the CL 3 years ago. Modric and Kroos don't really have anything infront of them to feed so they end up recycling the ball endlessly, Benzema is the only outlet for them, Hazard is non existent, Vinicius is not at the level required to depend on, Ramos himself is getting on, Marcelo looks half the player, oh and no Ronnie or Bale to carry them.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Well we have to play Man City in the final so il ignore them, PSG!? they aren't even first in the French league, were lucky to beat Bayern and fell apart VS City after the first half in the first leg. Not sure why you rate PSG so highly. Bayern a bit unlucky vs PSG but without Lewandowski they struggled to score, the same couldn't of happened against us. So i dont really agree with your point. Plus we beaten Man City twice this season ok not at full strength but neither were we yesterday.

Porto on paper were the weakest team we had to play in our CL run and gave us our two hardest games.
Lets be clear, I didn't rate PSG "so highly" in the context of them being front runners ahead of Bayern or City to win the CL. Bayern as you say were unfortunate to lose Lewa and Gnabry.

However PSG are a far sterner test (assuming a fit Mbappe+Neymar) than anything Chelsea have faced on the other side of the draw. Chelsea played all teams that suit Tuchel to the absolute maximum. Not a single one of Porto, Real or Atletico have technical fast players that can run in behind and hurt a team. It's all infront of the defence, which makes it the same test each round, and one that's not too difficult to overcome.

I think PSG would have provided a sterner test for Chelsea, and I'm not saying Chelsea would lose by the way - just that if Chelsea were to beat them then I'd be more impressed. Certainly more impressed than them beating over the hill La Liga sides and Porto.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I can, because they are far from the same outfit that won the CL 3 years running. The team has been progressively on a decline in each of the last 3 seasons and are now pretty wank. PSG, City, Chelsea with their squads would likely eat them for dinner. I reckon if we had made it out the group stages we'd be able to put them aside too, in a similar conviction to Chelsea. It was quite clear since last season for me that they have dropped a tier, and definitely confirmed it when Shakhtar beat them back to back in this campaign :lol:.

This is far from the Real side that won the CL 3 years ago. Modric and Kroos don't really have anything infront of them to feed so they end up recycling the ball endlessly, Benzema is the only outlet for them, Hazard is non existent, Vinicius is not at the level required to depend on, Ramos himself is getting on, Marcelo looks half the player, oh and no Ronnie or Bale to carry them.
Still in with a chance of winning La Liga, won it last year without Ronaldo and Bale (but only over ‘wank’ Barca and Atletico Madrid) and got to the semi finals of the CL this year by getting out of a group with Italian champions Inter Milan (I guess they’re ‘wank’ too, right?) and beating Liverpool (also ‘wank’).

Im afraid they’re not ‘wank’ however you try to spin it. And Tuchel has done a fantastic job thus far, however you try to spin that.