Chelsea appoint Thomas Tuchel

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He's undoubtedly done a great job, and shown what some coaching can do.

That said, I saw Chelsea a few times earlier in the year, and the technical prowess of their players was still very evident. They played out from defence far better than we do, and their midfield was generally pretty good.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Still in with a chance of winning La Liga, won it last year without Ronaldo and Bale (but only over ‘wank’ Barca and Atletico Madrid) and got to the semi finals of the CL this year by getting out of a group with Italian champions Inter Milan (I guess they’re ‘wank’ too, right?) and beating Liverpool (also ‘wank’).

Im afraid they’re not ‘wank’ however you try to spin it. And Tuchel has done a fantastic job thus far, however you try to spin that.
Yes, and La Liga isn't very strong right now. Honestly I think the PL has just extended their dominance and it's reflected by the fact that 3 out of the 4 teams in the European finals are English and a couple years ago all 4 were English.
Liverpool are having a torrid season, all season they have shown to be a level below the likes of Chelsea, United, City this season and everyone can see it. If you think Real beating Liverpool provides some credibility to your post then you're mistaken here. Moreover the Spanish football (much like Bundasliga) is ridiculously open. Guys like Tuchel and Ole have a field day against such teams, unless they are pragmatic (so Emery will probably be a trickier relative opponent to say, Sociedad who we put aside by half time). And the way Real set out, feck me they might as well had glow-sticks pointing to the space Werner can run into.

I'm not saying Real are some pub team (same goes for Barcelona and Inter) but they are now a tier below. So when I say "wank" I mean relative to the giant team they were 3 years ago. Chelsea should be expected to beat them, and they did. They have a much better and deeper squad and it showed, chucking on Pulisic and Ziyech off the bench just to see a fecking game out whilst Real have look at Rodrigo to change things :lol: Funny you should mention Inter by the way, didn't they crash out of the group stages last this season?

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
What's his league record like, have they been the best in the league since he took over?
I heard somewhere that they’ve got the second most points in the league (after City) since he took over but I’m not sure about this

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
With proper recruitment this summer, which Chelsea always do, they will challenge City for the title. Roman really never allows them to falter for long.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Yes, and La Liga isn't very strong right now. Honestly I think the PL has just extended their dominance and it's reflected by the fact that 3 out of the 4 teams in the European finals are English and a couple years ago all 4 were English.
Liverpool are having a torrid season, all season they have shown to be a level below the likes of Chelsea, United, City this season and everyone can see it. If you think Real beating Liverpool provides some credibility to your post then you're mistaken here. Moreover the Spanish football (much like Bundasliga) is ridiculously open. Guys like Tuchel and Ole have a field day against such teams, unless they are pragmatic (so Emery will probably be a trickier relative opponent to say, Sociedad who we put aside by half time). And the way Real set out, feck me they might as well had glow-sticks pointing to the space Werner can run into.

I'm not saying Real are some pub team (same goes for Barcelona and Inter) but they are now a tier below. So when I say "wank" I mean relative to the giant team they were 3 years ago. Chelsea should be expected to beat them, and they did. They have a much better and deeper squad and it showed, chucking on Pulisic and Ziyech off the bench just to see a fecking game out whilst Real have look at Rodrigo to change things :lol: Funny you should mention Inter by the way, didn't they crash out of the group stages last this season?
Chelsea were not expected to beat them though, that’s the point. And it’s funny that you’re bringing up Ole and United and suggesting they would have done the same thing when they couldn’t even make it out of the group stages.

Chelsea are in the final of the world’s biggest club knockout football competition, it’s a massive achievement for a guy who’s only been managing them for a little more than 3 months. That’s all that needs to be said really, there’s no need to qualify it by making claims about how it was actually easy and expected.

GlasgowCeltic

I’d be interested in knowing how you rate Utds EL run before I give any credence to this post

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I’d be interested in knowing how you rate Utds EL run before I give any credence to this post
I don't really care for EL, we had the relatively tougher draw compared to say Arsenal but I don't think any of the teams we faced were on our level anyway. To that end I thought we were poor to be tight vs AC Milan, but fine with convincingly putting Roma and Sociedad aside. We should expect nothing else than to be comfortable in the final too, and anything less is a disappointment for me. My measure of the quality of our players, and our manager, has increased a lot over the course of the season.
Chelsea were not expected to beat them though, that’s the point. And it’s funny that you’re bringing up Ole and United and suggesting they would have done the same thing when they couldn’t even make it out of the group stages.

Chelsea are in the final of the world’s biggest club knockout football competition, it’s a massive achievement for a guy who’s only been managing them for a little more than 3 months. That’s all that needs to be said really, there’s no need to qualify it by making claims about how it was actually easy and expected.
Says who? I expected Tuchel with the depth of the squad he has, to park Real aside. And if you followed my posts this is my gripe re. us and Ole, that we messed up in Istanbul. That said, Chelsea had a piss group, and if we had the group stage + knock out opponents Chelsea had, I reckon we'd have made it too.

You talking about Tuchel reaching the final like its a huge thing is true, I'm not saying it's not a good achievement. But, a lot of posts have gone over the top in Tuchel's praise. Di Matteo did the same, it didn't mean he was great. Of course Tuchel is a much better manager than Di Matteo but to get to a CL final whilst avoiding City, Bayern, PSG on the way isn't as impressive for me. I see PSG beat Bayern and I think "wow, that's a great achievement". But I don't think the same when I see Chelsea's attack blitz an open Real team who are broadly over the hill players or not youngsters not good enough.
Since Tuchel took over the points gained are as follows:

Man City, 16 games, 39 points
Chelsea, 16 games , 35 Points
Man United, 14 games 27 points.
Roughly in line with the expectation, then. Lets be clear this is a side that was expected to challenge for the title, that's what Tuchel inherited. They were just made to look far less than that by Lampard who was pretty clueless as a manager. It doesn't change the fact that Tuchel has inherited one of the best squads in Europe. Going back to my earlier post, I want to judge Tuchel from next season to see how his relative consistency fares when United have had a similar summer to what they had last year, when Liverpool get their reset and welcome VVD back etc. He might well continue his good start, in which case it's nothing but praise. But I'm not wow'ed by him as yet, especially after seeing some terribly blunt games.

Lee565

He could very well end up finishing 2nd and winning both the fa cup and the European cup at this rate

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He could very well end up finishing 2nd and winning both the fa cup and the European cup at this rate
There is being pessimistic and then there is this. Chelsea won't finish higher than third mate. United are not in trouble.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I don't really care for EL, we had the relatively tougher draw compared to say Arsenal but I don't think any of the teams we faced were on our level anyway. To that end I thought we were poor to be tight vs AC Milan, but fine with convincingly putting Roma and Sociedad aside. We should expect nothing else than to be comfortable in the final too, and anything less is a disappointment for me. My measure of the quality of our players, and our manager, has increased a lot over the course of the season.

Says who? I expected Tuchel with the depth of the squad he has, to park Real aside. And if you followed my posts this is my gripe re. us and Ole, that we messed up in Istanbul. That said, Chelsea had a piss group, and if we had the group stage + knock out opponents Chelsea had, I reckon we'd have made it too.

You talking about Tuchel reaching the final like its a huge thing is true, I'm not saying it's not a good achievement. But, a lot of posts have gone over the top in Tuchel's praise. Di Matteo did the same, it didn't mean he was great. Of course Tuchel is a much better manager than Di Matteo but to get to a CL final whilst avoiding City, Bayern, PSG on the way isn't as impressive for me. I see PSG beat Bayern and I think "wow, that's a great achievement". But I don't think the same when I see Chelsea's attack blitz an open Real team who are broadly over the hill players or not youngsters not good enough.

Roughly in line with the expectation, then. Lets be clear this is a side that was expected to challenge for the title, that's what Tuchel inherited. They were just made to look far less than that by Lampard who was pretty clueless as a manager. It doesn't change the fact that Tuchel has inherited one of the best squads in Europe. Going back to my earlier post, I want to judge Tuchel from next season to see how his relative consistency fares when United have had a similar summer to what they had last year, when Liverpool get their reset and welcome VVD back etc. He might well continue his good start, in which case it's nothing but praise. But I'm not wow'ed by him as yet, especially after seeing some terribly blunt games.
We don’t know what will happen in the future, we only have now. So if Tuchel wins both the FA Cup and the CL (still a big ‘if’, I know), will you finally be impressed?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We don’t know what will happen in the future, we only have now. So if Tuchel wins both the FA Cup and the CL (still a big ‘if’, I know), will you finally be impressed?
Of course I will be impressed. I'm just not as impressed by his CL run thus far. That's all I'm saying.

predator

Youth NITK
I've got a bad feeling about this one. I reckon he is going to make Chelsea a major force again.

I remember reading stories about opposition players saying when they played against chelsea, their players were using codewords for different routines, movements etc and was very confusing to play against.

I've also heard he uses size 1 footballs in training and makes the players wear different colour bibs in training...

And seeing how happy and praising he was to his players after the city match shows he may become a players favourite.

Hopefully it is just a honeymoon period but I sadly think otherwise.

Acole9

Outstanding
If they win Champions League and the FA Cup surely he has to be the manager of the season.

I don't think the football is that great to watch but he's doing a very good job.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Of course I will be impressed. I'm just not as impressed by his CL run thus far. That's all I'm saying.
Well that’s where we differ I guess. I’m very impressed by it. Chelsea have some good young players and a bit of depth, but no one on the Messi, Neymar, Mbappe, KDB, Benz or Lewa level. In fact, their only bona fide world class talent is probably Kante, who is an incredible player but not an elite level creator/goalscorer. Chelsea have none of those.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
If they win Champions League and the FA Cup surely he has to be the manager of the season.

I don't think the football is that great to watch but he's doing a very good job.
It’s often very boring to watch in fairness, but these are not his players. It will be interesting to see if he is given a chance to build his own team and how they play.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
It’s often very boring to watch in fairness, but these are not his players. It will be interesting to see if he is given a chance to build his own team and how they play.
rumour has it he will be heavily backed this summer

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I think the initial cautious football was largely due to the fact he took over a bunch of players where all the attackers bar Mount and CHO were at absolute rock bottom, none were scoring and none were performing.

Since those players have slowly been finding form we've done a lot better in the chances created department.

With Tuchel the excitement is more what he can do with this squad as opposed to getting his own players in. I strongly believe in this squad which is why i became Lampard out when it became clear he was undercoaching them.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Well that’s where we differ I guess. I’m very impressed by it. Chelsea have some good young players and a bit of depth, but no one on the Messi, Neymar, Mbappe, KDB, Benz or Lewa level. In fact, their only bona fide world class talent is probably Kante, who is an incredible player but not an elite level creator/goalscorer. Chelsea have none of those.
Thing is Real just have Benzema and that's it. Chelsea are sprinkled with quality in depth and a much more balanced side. But yeah, it's fine to disagree on what constitutes as impressive achievements. I don't think either of us is wrong.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
It might be really good for Tuchel that Roman and Marina are very decisive and very quick to act. It does not leave him time to get worked up about a decision that is going to be made. Also Chelsea never talk to the media about any decision. It gives less of an opportunity for him to oppose anything the club decides to do. The landscape at Chelsea might be good for him.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
rumour has it he will be heavily backed this summer
I do not doubt it, in RA, Chelsea have an owner who is more about the glory than trying to built up his asset like the Yank owners.

Also, they must be one of the most protected teams from Covid. First they sell Hazard and Morata for £150-£200m (depending on what you believe) then hit with a transfer ban so cannot use it but then have it to hand when everyone has been crippled by Covid. Then the next season they rank in the $$$$ by having a run to the CL final which is probably a minimum of £70m once you factor in TV money, with that probably pushing £100m if they win it owing to Super Cup and WCC money. That is before you get to them selling their loan players like Pasalic for €15m.

Only real issue I see with Chelsea is that they have a lot of the dead weight on big contracts. All these players are reportedly on over £100k a week, with one on £170k and I just cannot see buyers for them with their wages:

Kepa
Drinkwater
Bakayoko
Batshuayi
Barkley
RLC

So, they need to be paid for, either via subsidising their loans and/or rotting away at the training ground. That may reduce the spending power a bit.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Thing is Real just have Benzema and that's it. Chelsea are sprinkled with quality in depth and a much more balanced side. But yeah, it's fine to disagree on what constitutes as impressive achievements. I don't think either of us is wrong.
Fair enough. We can reserve judgment until the two finals are played at least.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I do not doubt it, in RA, Chelsea have an owner who is more about the glory than trying to built up his asset like the Yank owners.

Also, they must be one of the most protected teams from Covid. First they sell Hazard and Morata for £150-£200m (depending on what you believe) then hit with a transfer ban so cannot use it but then have it to hand when everyone has been crippled by Covid. Then the next season they rank in the $$$$ by having a run to the CL final which is probably a minimum of £70m once you factor in TV money, with that probably pushing £100m if they win it owing to Super Cup and WCC money. That is before you get to them selling their loan players like Pasalic for €15m.

Only real issue I see with Chelsea is that they have a lot of the dead weight on big contracts. All these players are reportedly on over £100k a week, with one on £170k and I just cannot see buyers for them with their wages:

Kepa
Drinkwater
Bakayoko
Batshuayi
Barkley
RLC

So, they need to be paid for, either via subsidising their loans and/or rotting away at the training ground. That may reduce the spending power a bit.
I can see Bakayoko being sold and Batshuayi. Depending on fee i think Villa may take Barkley permanent, although i dont mind him. RLC will come back i think. Drinkwater needs selling. Kepa stays

Victor Moses will probably go, Zappacosta, van ginkel, Baker, Sarr

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I can see Bakayoko being sold and Batshuayi. Depending on fee i think Villa may take Barkley permanent, although i dont mind him. RLC will come back i think. Drinkwater needs selling. Kepa stays

Victor Moses will probably go, Zappacosta, van ginkel, Baker, Sarr
Personally, I just do not see anyone matching those players wages let alone pay a fee for them. Only way that happens is if they take a massive wage cut, which seems unlikely.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Personally, I just do not see anyone matching those players wages let alone pay a fee for them. Only way that happens is if they take a massive wage cut, which seems unlikely.
Could end up with something like Chelsea paying a percentage, or doing paid loans until their contracts are up. The players are going to want to be playing too, so they're unlikely to want to sit on the sidelines for years.

Frank Sinatra Fan

Precisely this. You undeniably know that nerd Guardiola will over-think the final in a few weeks now on the back of this result and will try something he believes Tuchel and Chelsea won’t have prepared for but absolutely bamboozle his own players as well in the process.

You love to see it! :drool:
Guardiola has never done that in finals before.

RooneyLegend

It's going to be interesting to see how he plans to upgrade their attack next season because they aren't going to be in the title race with a team that scores 1.5 goals a game next season. That just sounds like alot of draws.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
It's going to be interesting to see how he plans to upgrade their attack next season because they aren't going to be in the title race with a team that scores 1.5 goals a game next season. That just sounds like alot of draws.
That is up from 1 goal a game!!

non profit football

Supports
Chelsea
Whatever happens until the end of the season, the bet on Tuchel was a resounding success, he managed to conquer the squad and have everyone gathered around him.
The results speak for themselves, in a short space of time and in difficult circumstances, there is ample room to improve things next season.

In addition, Chelsea will be a project with the capacity to attract even more possible targets in the market and to be able to sell better whoever decides to place on the market.

He will likely be rewarded with a better contract in the coming weeks.

MinGin

No matter how good Tuchel will be, can he adopt ALL Abra's new expensive toys into the first XI in the future and achieve some result at the same time? He will be sacked after he failed.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
No matter how good Tuchel will be, can he adopt ALL Abra's new expensive toys into the first XI in the future and achieve some result at the same time? He will be sacked after he failed.
5 out of our 6 players who we signed this summer (Mendy, Silva, Chillwell, Havertz, Werner) started against Real with only Ziyech on the bench. The person in Ziyech's place is Mount which is exactly what Roman wants as he didn't plow money into our academy for nothing.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I want Chelsea to win the CL - yet there is this weird feeling that they would have equalled the number of CL's we won under SAF in 20 years.

It's a shame the number is so low.

BlackShark_80

Tuchel already did this season, potentially winning both FA Cup and CL.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Just watched this again, and people mentioned Rodri's reaction to losing the ball, but keep an eye on Sterling. Azpi went from marking him to nicking the ball off Rodri and then runs into the wide open space. Mendy was stranded, but Sterling was right there with Azpi but he barely moved from the halfway line throughout the whole sequence ending with the goal.

Last edited:

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Just watched this again, and people mentioned Rodri's reaction to losing the ball, but keep an eye on Sterling. Azpi went from marking him to nicking the ball off Rodri and then runs into the wide open space. Mendy was stranded, but Sterling was right there with Azpi but he barely moved from the halfway line throughout the whole sequence ending with the goal.
I think pep was having a go at sterling in that moment for the shit run that gave Rodri no option in the first place too.