Chelsea appoint Thomas Tuchel

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
And I don't see every manager in existence being compared to the Chelsea manager on the Shed End.
It’s because unlike Tuchel it’s taken 2.5 years for the media (and some of our own fans in fairness) to start recognising Ole has done a good job. In that time Lampard, Arteta and now Tuchel have been wanked over and used by certain “journalists” to criticise Ole. As such the place is a touch insecure!

cyberman

Fairly certain I argued (in a discussion that wasn't started by me) there was not much difference between the teams, a view the table (which in your words doesn't lie) firmly backed up.
Ole made 12 points up on Chelsea last year, can go 9 clear tomorrow. Is that close?
Heres the thing. City and Utd were handicapped by the start of the season. We had no pre season, had like a week and a half off before the players were called to internationals and suffered for the first 6 weeks. Its why both Manchestsr clubs were around 9th until November or something stupid.
Out of that run, both leapt up the table. Both clubs have dominated this league to a greater extent than the points difference shows imo. If we had the rest that Chelsea etc had I would bet my life both side would be looking at 90 point seasons. Hell City could touching 100. The table looks closer than the quality suggests.

Last edited:

cyberman

De gea
Awb
Pogba Bruno
Greenwood rashford
?
Shaw for AWB, Martial for Mason. Martial is fantastic at dropping a shoulder and has stupidly quick feet.
Us being a fantastic 6 a side aide is exactly why we get so many penalties! Great feet and can roll opposition.

el3mel

Lost a game of football, must mean he's shit regardless of the two finals he reached.

OverratedOpinion

It’s because unlike Tuchel it’s taken 2.5 years for the media (and some of our own fans in fairness) to start recognising Ole has done a good job. In that time Lampard, Arteta and now Tuchel have been wanked over and used by certain “journalists” to criticise Ole. As such the place is a touch insecure!
I love Ole but to be fair there was a degree of Ole mania when he first came in and we started battering teams after the tumescent Mourinho performances, this peaked with the PSG game in Paris. Tuchel has made a Champions League final and FA Cup Final whilst having the sheen of a new manager, not shocking he gets a lot of praise. I assure you if they don't win either of the trophies and do not start next season well he will be criticised to high hell. Sarri was even after winning stuff, Utd are not unique in this just that we get more media coverage in general.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Shaw for AWB, Martial for Mason. Martial is fantastic at dropping a shoulder and has stupidly quick feet.
Us being a fantastic 6 a side aide is exactly why we get so many penalties! Great feet and can roll opposition.
Greenwood hits the target with both feet ! He's a must

cyberman

Greenwood hits the target with both feet ! He's a must
Hasnt got it on the ball just yet. He would slow everything down imo.
Itll be like Herrera receiving balls in tight space that Pogba created from 3 years ago. Paul would attract all this pressure then lay it off and say there you go lesser player, do what I just had to do.
Id have left on a free as well

Crashoutcassius

He's made them solid but incredibly boring given the quality they have. Most fans would have wanted us to sign their whole front 4 in summer. Did very well in the CL from what I saw, especially in the semi Vs a poor Madrid but still real Madrid

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Hasnt got it on the ball just yet. He would slow everything down imo.
Itll be like Herrera receiving balls in tight space that Pogba created from 3 years ago. Paul would attract all this pressure then lay it off and say there you go lesser player, do what I just had to do.
Id have left on a free as well
Bruh we here to win not keep the ball so you get the best finisher from either foot either side hits the corners. That's Greenwood.

Stig

Tuchel is getting a lot of praise for getting to two finals and probably a top 4 spot. All of which he has done off the back of where Lampard got them. Has he done anymore than take advantage to the good position the previous manager got them to ?

acnumber9

We were still crap in the league under di matteo and finished outside the cl.
We were what ? 9th when tuchel took over now we in the top 4.
Avram Grant managed second place when he took Chelsea to a Champions League final.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Avram Grant managed second place when he took Chelsea to a Champions League final.
Avram grant had a star studded team that pushed one of your best ever teams all the way in the league and Europe.

FatTails

Some outrageous takes in this thread.
  1. A manger can be praised for their teams results/performances, and it doesn’t mean Ole is shit by comparison. What’s this fascination with the tedious, endless, comparison of players and managers on this forum?
  2. Chelsea have collected the second most points in the PL since Tuchel was appointed, with City being top since. One can dismiss a cup run (although we really shouldn’t), but that is impressive.
  3. He has reached the CL final by beating Atletico, Porto, and Real Madrid (who didn’t have much trouble vs Liverpool in the previous round). None of these games are easy IMO.
  4. Reached the FA cup final by knocking out the best team in the country, then beat them again last week in the league.
  5. Unbeaten against Spurs, United, Liverpool, Everton, and Man City. Sure, they lost some games against weaker opposition (West Brom and Arsenal), but their form is fantastic still.
  6. They’re underperforming their xG, but for those allergic to stats, it is quite obvious that they create good chances and have trouble finishing them.

Redfrog

Why is it hard to ignore? Grant and RDM reached the final under completely different context. The only similarity between them being they were all appointed mid-season.
There is a similarity with all Chelsea’s managers. They are usually good at the start and turn to sh*t within 18 months at most. No matter who is the manager, his pedigree or what he will do next. Tuchel may be a good one, he can even win you the league, you never know but he will eventually be sacked sooner rather then latter.
Not that you care as it worked well for you so far.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Very predictable result. The positive side is it'll be a big wakeup call for Saturday. If the team started believing their own BS after the Real and City results...., They'll have been brought right down to earth by defeat to a poor Arsenal team.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Tuchel is getting a lot of praise for getting to two finals and probably a top 4 spot. All of which he has done off the back of where Lampard got them. Has he done anymore than take advantage to the good position the previous manager got them to ?
Eh? Not really. He’s done a great job so far.

Very predictable result. The positive side is it'll be a big wakeup call for Saturday. If the team started believing their own BS after the Real and City results...., They'll have been brought right down to earth by defeat to a poor Arsenal team.
is it ok for Chelsea to lose fielding a weakened team after making 7 changes?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I love Ole but to be fair there was a degree of Ole mania when he first came in and we started battering teams after the tumescent Mourinho performances, this peaked with the PSG game in Paris. Tuchel has made a Champions League final and FA Cup Final whilst having the sheen of a new manager, not shocking he gets a lot of praise. I assure you if they don't win either of the trophies and do not start next season well he will be criticised to high hell. Sarri was even after winning stuff, Utd are not unique in this just that we get more media coverage in general.
Ole won 10 of his first 13 league games (one defeat). He accumulated more points from his first 9 games in charge than any other manager in PL history. And he did this with a squad that Mourinho, most journalists and almost everyone on here believed was deeply flawed.

Tuchel has won 6 out of 12 (2 defeats) with a squad that almost everyone thought was as good as any other in the league at the beginning of this season.

Tuchel’s had a decent start but whatever “mania” there was over Ole’s first half season in charge was much more justified. Especially when you consider the expectations when they took the job.

Last edited:

RUCK4444

How has he not proven anything in the league ? He's taken the side from 9th to 4th with the 2nd or 3rd most points in the league since he got there.
New manager bounce.

Ole went unbeaten for a crazy amount of time when he took over, does that mean he was proven in the league within his first three months? Apparently he’s still not proven now...

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
is it ok for Chelsea to lose fielding a weakened team after making 7 changes?
That's not what I would have done, see my posts yesterday. I expected us to lose if we rotated like that for this match.

From a motivational perspective though, it'll help us I think. Team started believing their own hype after recent results, crashing down to earth yesterday. Last year in the cup final we came in to the game expecting to beat Arsenal and got done. Team will be woken up after yesterday.

The truth is we got lucky v City on Saturday and unlucky yesterday. If Havertz keeps his head and slides it past or chips the keeper when through at 0-0 we win the game most likely. Then it's a poor mistake by Jorghi shortly after. Like in the Real game, if Benzema slots his shot that Mendy wonder saved, we struggle in that game. The margins are small.

We've got 4 games to win to make this a season no Chelsea fan could reasonably have expected at the start of the season. If you told me we need to beat Leicester twice, Villa and City to go get FA Cup, CL and be top 4 would have bitten your hand off before the season to take it. Now up to the team to go win those 4 games.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

We've got 4 games to win to make this a season no Chelsea fan could reasonably have expected at the start of the season.
Slightly disingenuous and rewriting history considering the investment last summer. Maybe 3-4 months in, but there is nothing miraculous about your season (whatever the outcome of the finals) whichever way you want to frame it

OverratedOpinion

Ole won 10 of his first 13 league games (one defeat). He accumulated more points from his first 9 games in charge than any other manager in PL history. And he did this with a squad that Mourinho, most journalists and almost everyone on here believed was deeply flawed.

Tuchel has won 6 out of 12 (2 defeats) with a squad that almost everyone thought was as good as any other in the league at the beginning of this season.

Tuchel’s had a decent start but whatever “mania” there was over Ole’s first half season in charge was much more justified. Especially when you consider the expectations when they took the job.
Ole had a great start and Tuchel has had a great start too considering the finals he has reached. Just feels a bit petty to try and compare the two and then assess the distribution of praise that they received.

Ace of Spades

They have become a solid but dull side overall, which is weird as I thought it would be the opposite. I imagined something like Liverpool before they got Van Dijk, where they were quite attacking but also leaky in defense.

Bob Rivers

Supports
Chelsea
Slightly disingenuous and rewriting history considering the investment last summer. Maybe 3-4 months in, but there is nothing miraculous about your season (whatever the outcome of the finals) whichever way you want to frame it
The investment last summer was big due to the transfer ban a year earlier which had prevented us from buying new players.

I don't know if Chelsea reaching the CL final this season is miraculous but United, for example, spent close to what City spent over the last decade or so and are currently competing in the EL, so it's all relative.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
If you say so. Didn't see any Leno heroics out there.
Havertz missed a sitter
Mount hit one at Leno and a more open chance straight at holding
Puli had a header he should have done better with
Zouma hit the bar
Giroud too
That's just off the top of my head.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
New manager bounce.

Ole went unbeaten for a crazy amount of time when he took over, does that mean he was proven in the league within his first three months? Apparently he’s still not proven now...
Most of this seems like sour grapes from you lot that ole doesn't get recognition for what he's done as opposed to Tuchel’s performances.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I think getting anywhere near a CL final beating Atletico and Real en route is pretty miraculous. Porto are also decent opposition who put Juve out.

Last year we got schooled by Bayern, my expectations were just "making the numbers up" for the CL at the start of this season. I expected us to get schooled by Atletico when draw was made.

First time in years I've like we're actually capable of beating teams in CL knockouts.

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
I think getting anywhere near a CL final beating Atletico and Real en route is pretty miraculous. Porto are also decent opposition who put Juve out.

Last year we got schooled by Bayern, my expectations were just "making the numbers up" for the CL at the start of this season. I expected us to get schooled by Atletico when draw was made.

First time in years I've like we're actually capable of beating teams in CL knockouts.
I completely agree from going nowhere to top 4 and a shot at 2 major trophies is really remarkable. Of course if Chelsea lose both finals it may become a forgettable season.

iHicksy

Did you watch Chelsea's last games with Lampard in charge? They have arguably the best squad depth and second best squad in the league in my opinion after City and they looked hopeless under Lampard. He was fine at energizing the young players initially but once they brought in new players he had no idea what to do with them. Tuchel has come in to a fantastic squad and made them extremely hard to break down with enough quality up top to win by 1 or 2.

TheReligion

Abusive
The investment last summer was big due to the transfer ban a year earlier which had prevented us from buying new players.

I don't know if Chelsea reaching the CL final this season is miraculous but United, for example, spent close to what City spent over the last decade or so and are currently competing in the EL, so it's all relative.
Not true really that.

Firstly the spend point is misleading given the players who have left the club along with the managers. Secondly United have been competing in the CL and under Ole have achieved back to back qualification for it.

The point was, and there's no need to be precious over it, you spent a fortune in the summer and were expected to have a better season than previously. Tuchel has got you back on track.

Wilt

Made seven changes, outplayed Arsenal, lost to an avoidable/freak goal.

No doubt Tuchel will use this as learning curve and move on. He’s a top a manager IMO.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
And money which was largely covered from the sale of our gamechanger.