Chelsea appoint Thomas Tuchel

crossy1686

career ending
Most of this seems like sour grapes from you lot that ole doesn't get recognition for what he's done as opposed to Tuchel’s performances.
Ole won't get any recognition due to the shit he got when appointed and it will always be down to how much United have spent just so he could win something. In regards to Tuchel though, he seems to be getting more out of Chelsea than Lampard did but I've never really rated him, and I can't see him being at Chelsea past the end of next season. The guy falls out with everyone at some point.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
That's irrelevent and not the point I was making. Just highlighting that dominating this current Arsenal side is nothing special, it's just par for the course.
True, although I remember when we were the side dominating possession in games & getting sucker punched, it's tough to take. Anyway, didn't meant go hijack the Tuchel thread, he's doing well, & Chelsea will be right up there next season, just needs that top finisher.

RUCK4444

Most of this seems like sour grapes from you lot that ole doesn't get recognition for what he's done as opposed to Tuchel’s performances.
In what way?

The media and fans alike are creaming themselves over Tuchel whilst he’s had a mediocre showing in the league, not bad not great, a mixed bag if you like. All because of a CL final, imo.

Whereas Ole has more pressure than anybody, has backward sections of all fanbases claim he’s a PE teacher and constantly had question marks over him even in good periods.

I’d say Ole has been treated like a feckin novice idiot, hence the apology from the likes of the Telegraph or whoever.

It’s certainly been one narrative for one and a totally different one for the other.

I put it down to fan snobbery and thinking the grass is always greener.

I’m not saying Tuchel won’t do well for you, just that it’s being a tad exaggerated when you look at your league form.
There’s absolutely no reason why he shouldn’t have gotten your squad into a top four position. He’s taken over a much better positioned side from Lampard compared to what Ole picked up from Mourinho.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Tuchel has a 2.06 PPG in the league. Second best behind Pep. Coaching Lampard's squad without a pre season. That's an interesting definition of mediocre..

cyberman

Tuchel has a 2.06 PPG in the league. Second best behind Pep. Coaching Lampard's squad without a pre season. That's an interesting definition of mediocre..
No point in bringing up fractions of points when they get the new manager bounce.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
In what way?

The media and fans alike are creaming themselves over Tuchel whilst he’s had a mediocre showing in the league, not bad not great, a mixed bag if you like. All because of a CL final, imo.

Whereas Ole has more pressure than anybody, has backward sections of all fanbases claim he’s a PE teacher and constantly had question marks over him even in good periods.

I’d say Ole has been treated like a feckin novice idiot, hence the apology from the likes of the Telegraph or whoever.

It’s certainly been one narrative for one and a totally different one for the other.

I put it down to fan snobbery and thinking the grass is always greener.

I’m not saying Tuchel won’t do well for you, just that it’s being a tad exaggerated when you look at your league form.
There’s absolutely no reason why he shouldn’t have gotten your squad into a top four position. He’s taken over a much better positioned side from Lampard compared to what Ole picked up from Mourinho.
Lmfao asks me in what way then goes on a rant on how oles been hard done by. You've proven my point. Your gripe with tuchel is ole didn't get enough praise in your eyes. Which is retarded.

mu4c_20le

Preseasons are overrated, and are mostly for building fitness.

cyberman

If "new manager bounce" is so easy why didn't Hiddink 2.0 or Rafa get one?
Disnt they? Your entire model relies on new manager bounces ffs! Can hardly argue against it form a Chelsea point of view. Short term manager are all about the initial surge.
i mean how far ahead are they of West Ham etc?. Point 2 more? Is that impressive? Feck knows.

non profit football

Supports
Chelsea
There are games in which the team goes to sleep on the pitch, it´s no coincidence that we have to see childish mistakes like Jorginho's that cost us 3 points, who is also a player who frequently makes them.
I go to war with Gilmour, but never with Jorginho, Tuchel insists.

The team is too young but there are too many responsibilities for the German, he took a long time to change the team and the game, it was a horrible and desperate hour and a half to see.

In addition to losing at home with the new Burnley.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Disnt they? Your entire model relies on new manager bounces ffs! Can hardly argue against it form a Chelsea point of view. Short term manager are all about the initial surge.
i mean how far ahead are they of West Ham etc?. Point 2 more? Is that impressive? Feck knows.
No they didn't, Rafa improved the shape and matches stopped resembling basketball but the results were largely the same, Hiddink 2.0 turned damaging defeats into tumescent draws so I guess you may call that somewhat of a bounce but it certainly didn't have close to the affect it did for you when you sacked the same manager three years on.

I guess we have different ideas on what a new manager bounce is.

For me a "bounce" is when the manager doesn't really change much apart from not being the guy who's just been sacked which in turn seems to give players an extra spring in their step for a few games (Craig Shakespeare at Leicester would be the ultimate example to that).

When Tuchel came in the individual performances of players didn't improve a massive deal immediately but he had the nous Lampard didn't to work around it and still get the results regardless, the complete opposite of an (in my eyes) stereotypical new manager bounce. The only time we had it in every sense of it's word was with Di Matteo, the other times we either didn't (Hiddink 2.0, Rafa) or the "bounce" was because they are/were simply very good managers (Hiddink 1.0, Tuchel). The Avram one was a strange one, I don't have any difinitive proof but my theory was Ten Cate was the manager in all but name (or at the very least the one doing the tactics).

RUCK4444

Lmfao asks me in what way then goes on a rant on how oles been hard done by. You've proven my point. Your gripe with tuchel is ole didn't get enough praise in your eyes. Which is retarded.
Wtf? Ole got next to no praise, in fact nothing but question marks during his entire tenure, which is in stark contrast to Tuchel since arriving at Chelsea and getting a few results.

How is that proving your point? You brought up Ole, I just followed that with a comparison.

I don’t see papers apologising for getting it wrong about Tuchel pal.

You are obviously hyping him to the extreme in your own eyes (Tuchel) which is fine. My point is, as others have said, your 3 month spell under him in the league doesn’t exactly guarantee a league win for you next season and the praise is a tad OTT for what 6 wins in 12 was it?

cyberman

No they didn't, Rafa improved the shape and matches stopped resembling basketball but the results were largely the same, Hiddink 2.0 turned damaging defeats into tumescent draws so I guess you may call that somewhat of a bounce but it certainly didn't have close to the affect it did for you when you sacked the same manager three years on.

I guess we have different ideas on what a new manager bounce is.

For me a "bounce" is when the manager doesn't really change much apart from not being the guy who's just been sacked which in turn seems to give players an extra spring in their step for a few games (Craig Shakespeare at Leicester would be the ultimate example to that).

When Tuchel came in the individual performances of players didn't improve a massive deal immediately but he had the nous Lampard didn't to work around it and still get the results regardless, the complete opposite of an (in my eyes) stereotypical new manager bounce. The only time we had it in every sense of it's word was with Di Matteo, the other times we either didn't (Hiddink 2.0, Rafa) or the "bounce" was because they are/were simply very good managers (Hiddink 1.0, Tuchel). The Avram one was a strange one, I don't have any difinitive proof but my theory was Ten Cate was the manager in all but name (or at the very least the one doing the tactics).
But i read its 6 wins in last 12 games. That high ppg is literally from the initial reaction of Tuchel joining hence the bounce.
He deserves all the praise for your CL and FA cup runs but it doesnt make sense to me when people try and force league success onto him as well. Months later your still battling a top 4 race thats been of piss poor quality. You should be qualified already imo.

Lyng

Yeah the improvement in play is pretty obvious to anyone who isn't a blind Lampard fan.
Chelsea Will be a part of the battle for the premier League trophy next season, no doubt.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
But i read its 6 wins in last 12 games. That high ppg is literally from the initial reaction of Tuchel joining hence the bounce.
He deserves all the praise for your CL and FA cup runs but it doesnt make sense to me when people try and force league success onto him as well. Months later your still battling a top 4 race thats been of piss poor quality. You should be qualified already imo.
I mean I understand where you're coming from but I don't think you can neatly disassociate success in cup runs vs. the league, considering we're at the end of an extremely grueling season and playing more frequently than the opposition.

Yes we've dropped points in the league to teams we shouldn't have, but I'd wager that we wouldn't have if we weren't fatigued from playing twice as often as the opposition. The Brighton game stands out especially - in between Brighton's prior fixture and the match against us, we'd played 2 difficult cup ties.

Looking at whatTuchel has done holistically it's impossible to say he's done anything other than a brilliant job.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Wtf? Ole got next to no praise, in fact nothing but question marks during his entire tenure, which is in stark contrast to Tuchel since arriving at Chelsea and getting a few results.

How is that proving your point? You brought up Ole, I just followed that with a comparison.

I don’t see papers apologising for getting it wrong about Tuchel pal.

You are obviously hyping him to the extreme in your own eyes (Tuchel) which is fine. My point is, as others have said, your 3 month spell under him in the league doesn’t exactly guarantee a league win for you next season and the praise is a tad OTT for what 6 wins in 12 was it?
You're doing it again. I don't give a shit about ole. No one does. Tuchels performance has nothing to do with ole and how you feel he was hard done by.
Oh and no he didnt get praised. The media were a disgrace when he got the job and Frank got sacked.

cyberman

I mean I understand where you're coming from but I don't think you can neatly disassociate success in cup runs vs. the league, considering we're at the end of an extremely grueling season and playing more frequently than the opposition.

Yes we've dropped points in the league to teams we shouldn't have, but I'd wager that we wouldn't have if we weren't fatigued from playing twice as often as the opposition. The Brighton game stands out especially - in between Brighton's prior fixture and the match against us, we'd played 2 difficult cup ties.

Looking at whatTuchel has done holistically it's impossible to say he's done anything other than a brilliant job.
But thats English football. Tuchel has the squad to rotate and if he cant do that to a high standard of success then thats on him surely? How youre into a situation of needing to win v Leicester or its last day madness isnt an impressive feat. Especially when your rivals are West Ham and a Liverpool side who imploded.
Theres an honestly realistic scenario where you could only finish 3 or 4 points ahead of Arsenal when the seasons over, especailly if you dont beat Leicester. Thats how much pressure you have on 1 game.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Taking the same sample (first 17 league games), Ole had 2.24ppg after taking over "with no pre-season and with Mou's squad". We'll see how he does in the long run, but it's fairly sensible to believe this could be a new manager's bounce, with an overall good squad reacting positively to some competent coaching.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Tuchel has done a decent job since he arrived, certainly a better bet than Lampard, think they're 2nd on points since he arrived, sign a decent CF to convert all the chances they make and they'll be a real handful next season.

all games since he arrived they're clear 2nd to City on points, last 10 4 teams joint on 21, City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal though City and United have played a game less, he's doing well and with a full preseason this year they'll get better.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/pre...e/wettbewerb/GB1?saison_id=2020&min=26&max=36

RUCK4444

You're doing it again. I don't give a shit about ole. No one does. Tuchels performance has nothing to do with ole and how you feel he was hard done by.
Oh and no he didnt get praised. The media were a disgrace when he got the job and Frank got sacked.
You said and I quote ‘I think the attitude towards Tuchel here is driven by how people here think Ole has been treated’ or something to that effect.

I can’t be arsed searching your nonsense posts to be fair but it’s there. You brought up Ole as a comparison.

Ignoring Ole entirely... Tuchel has proven feck all. That’s the only point people were making, you got touchy about it, nobody else. Bore off to a Chelsea forum if you want to see posters w@nk over Tuchel, if one exists.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Taking the same sample (first 17 league games), Ole had 2.24ppg after taking over "with no pre-season and with Mou's squad". We'll see how he does in the long run, but it's fairly sensible to believe this could be a new manager's bounce, with an overall good squad reacting positively to some competent coaching.
Whether he can maintain it is a fair question, though given Tuchel's past performances I'd be optimistic on that front as a Chelsea fan. But that doesn't mean his current league performance is "mediocre".

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
You said and I quote ‘I think the attitude towards Tuchel here is driven by how people here think Ole has been treated’ or something to that effect.

I can’t be arsed searching your nonsense posts to be fair but it’s there. You brought up Ole as a comparison.

Ignoring Ole entirely... Tuchel has proven feck all. That’s the only point people were making, you got touchy about it, nobody else. Bore off to a Chelsea forum if you want to see posters w@nk over Tuchel, if one exists.
Hes proven feck all by taking the side from 9th to 4th picking up the 2nd most posts on the way getting to 2 finals. Hmm. Yeah OK. Keep crying about ole

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
But thats English football. Tuchel has the squad to rotate and if he cant do that to a high standard of success then thats on him surely? How youre into a situation of needing to win v Leicester or its last day madness isnt an impressive feat. Especially when your rivals are West Ham and a Liverpool side who imploded.
Theres an honestly realistic scenario where you could only finish 3 or 4 points ahead of Arsenal when the seasons over, especailly if you dont beat Leicester. Thats how much pressure you have on 1 game.
...and he has the 2nd best points per game ever in the division? You're reading far too much into a fluky result and ignoring the fact that it's hugely impressive we're even in the position we're in considering he took over when we were 9th.

RUCK4444

Hes proven feck all by taking the side from 9th to 4th picking up the 2nd most posts on the way getting to 2 finals. Hmm. Yeah OK. Keep crying about ole
6 wins in 12 was it? Special mate, I’m sure.

I’m not crying about Ole, couldn’t be happier with him, comfortably second after a shocking transfer window from our owners, the same summer you bought Germany.

RUCK4444

Quite strange to cherry pick a sample size to try and strengthen your argument.
I’m not, the poster I replied to was, to which I’ve replied with this.

I’ve also said he’s not done badly, but nothing to shout from the hilltops about in the league. But he won’t let it go. :lol:

The_Midfielder

If they score first.. they will win.. but if they go behind.. looks like they don't have the firepower to come back

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If they score first.. they will win.. but if they go behind.. looks like they don't have the firepower to come back
There has been two examples of that. West Brom and Arsenal. There has been one example of winning after conceding first. Man City. We don't tend to go behind often,.so the sample.size is really small but if you feel comfortable with that assertion based on those examples, then fair enough.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
No one can honestly think he hasnt done a good job. Im sorry, but if that is the case, then you need to give your head a wobble.

Next season we will be much closer to City IMO and with a clinical striker, could just as likely win the league. I fully expect it to be City, Chelsea and Utd battling for the title. I really do. If City dont bring in a top striker, I'm thinking they may not have it so easy

I dont think Klopp will spend huge sums

passing-wind

No one can honestly think he hasnt done a good job. Im sorry, but if that is the case, then you need to give your head a wobble.

Next season we will be much closer to City IMO and with a clinical striker, could just as likely win the league. I fully expect it to be City, Chelsea and Utd battling for the title. I really do. If City dont bring in a top striker, I'm thinking they may not have it so easy

I dont think Klopp will spend huge sums
I put countless posts up that if ever Solskjaer was sacked for underperforming Tuchel should be the replacement. I know we knocked PSG out during Ole's interim period but assessing the performance at Old Trafford you could see how well Tuchel imposed instruction tactically which is all to evident with Chelsea at present.

What's even more significant is I feel this is a somewhat average Chelsea first 11. No real world class players pending maybe Kante, highly touted young players who haven't been in English football for very long then there's those such as Mount, James, Chilwell who Lampard invested time into.

I reckon the only untested aspect is if Tuchel can build a team when given the financial resources.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
HIs impact is more on motivation than on the tactical side. There's little time to make major tactical changes during the season, the training sessions are planned for players to improve details and keep their fitness levels. Tactical training needs time and continuity, not very productive during the season.

MU655

They need a prolific goalscorer. If they get that, I could see them challenging for the title next season.

He'sRaldo

HIs impact is more on motivation than on the tactical side. There's little time to make major tactical changes during the season, the training sessions are planned for players to improve details and keep their fitness levels. Tactical training needs time and continuity, not very productive during the season.
Not according to this, posted by @Zaphod2319 :

“Transfer periods can be real mood-breakers between moods and clubs and I don’t want to have this ever again," Tuchel explained ahead of tonight's game against Arsenal.

"The circumstances [of taking charge mid-season] had something of a simplicity. It was very tough to leave my family for this period of time but it meant a huge simplicity to my life here as a coach. It’s been only, only about coaching this team.

"No second thoughts about bringing someone in or letting someone go, it was crystal clear to step in and do what is needed and do what we do best: coaching."

He continued: “I have zero ambition to ruin this atmosphere. I want it for myself, not for anybody else. Do we have some ideas on how to improve the squad? Yes, we do. Will we fight about it? No, we won’t. We will discuss things.

"First of all, we will finish the season because it’s not time to reflect now. I embrace the simplicity and hope we can continue to live like this on the job because it’s fun, very exciting, very pure.

"There are big challenges and big games constantly coming. This is what we love."

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
If you have never watched his press conferences, it is easy to see why the press love him. He is very open and honest.

Edit to add....as opposed to managers like Jose, who try to manipulate the media.

Last edited:

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Not according to this, posted by @Zaphod2319 :
Not sayin he's not coaching, but tactical training has much less impact during the season, the training is barely enough to improve details and maintain fitness levels.
I'm sure he's doing some exercises and making them approach some situations differently, but he's not a miracle maker.

Pre-season is important for that: there's a lot of physical and extended tactical training, so players can get routines and patterns from the manager ideas. You can do that during season, but it's not very productive. Any manager who took a club without a pre-season will complain about this.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If you have never watched his press conferences, it is easy to see why the press love him. He is very open and honest.

Edit to add....as opposed to managers like Jose, who try to manipulate the media.

Quite sure most managers come across likeable compared to Jose