Chelsea appoint Thomas Tuchel

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Im going to say - so far - how many teams besides *cough*WBA*cough* have actually looked threatening against us?

I can say with confidence, I am back at Mourinho mark 1 for defensive assurance. He really has done an incredibly job with our defense, along with Anthony Barry.
I am far from watching every Chelsea game, but from what I have seen I would say: None convincingly, just some moments where you think "this could be it". No wonder someone like Pep panics when he has to play Chelsea

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Nice anecdote, this:

Rough translation:
After arriving in France, the Tuchel family quickly moved into a beautiful house in the 92nd department, and hired a Filipino cleaning lady. So far, nothing out of the ordinary, you might say. This lady works a lot for the German family and often overtime without problem.

Logically enough, a bond is created over time and Thomas Tuchel and his wife learn with amazement that this woman is doing the three 8s, primarily to finance a major heart operation on one of his children. Without even asking the slightest question, Thomas takes his pen and signs a cheque to cover all the medical costs. A noble gesture that does not stop there. While the lady's child is recovering and can look forward to the rest of his life with optimism, Thomas feels his place on the Parisian bench is increasingly threatened.Among their last discussions, Thomas and his cleaning lady talk about their dreams. If TT's dreams have already been fulfilled and are mainly concerned with football, the lady's is more modest: to be able to return to the Philippines one day and build a house where she would spend her old age with her family, who miss her time there. Water has passed under the bridge since then. TT went to England, but before he left, he remembered to give a set of keys to his now former cleaning lady. She is now the proud owner of a sumptuous villa in the Philippines.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
How did he become so good? Was he this good at PSG? Even though he has been around for a while he and his coaching style have become an overnight success at Chelsea.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
How did he become so good? Was he this good at PSG? Even though he has been around for a while he and his coaching style have become an overnight success at Chelsea.
Chelsea have hard working players. He didn't have that luxury in his psg days. Ziyech pulisic not able to hold their position says it all.

Players willing to put hard work to implement his tactical system. Didn't shy away to change players at half time if not worked. Saul recent example.

Not afraid to put youngsters if they did well in training. I think Chelsea got lucky to stumble upon tuchel for coach after lampard sacking.So far so good but you never know what will happen at Chelsea though.

He openly said he and his coaching team discussed squad profile and chose three at the back system while on the way to london before he signed contract with Chelsea.

Last edited:

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Great coach, great personality. He deserves this success, well earned.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He improved himself step by step over time. Already started as an astute tactic mind, but had to learn how to deal with people. Now he really looks like the complete package.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
It didn’t happen over night. He was great at Mainz ten years ago.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I really like him :( bit gutted its going as well as I thought it would.

Can he hurry up and fall out with Roman?
To be honest, even I'm surprised by how quickly he made an impact and how smooth the journey has been so far. It's only been 8 months of course, so there is still time for the 'he's a difficult person to work with' labels to become true, but from the sounds of it, he seems like he learnt a lot from the experience at PSG and at Chelsea he found a club with the right balance.

Last edited:

Castia

Really good manager.

I thought he would flop in all honesty but he’s proven me wrong Chelsea have a top class manager.

Mike Smalling

Excellent manager and seems to be a great personality as well. He always comes across really well in interviews. I think he could be there for a while unfortunately.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
To be honest, even I'm surprised by how quickly he made an impact and how smooth the journey has been so far. It's only been 8 months of course, so there is still time for the 'he's a difficult person to work with' labels to become true, but from the sounds of it, he seems like he learnt a lot from the experience at PSG and at Chelsea he found a club with the right balance.
What's very encouraging is that he's spoken openly about how he wants to grow and learn how to work with superiors better. Also I feel like he's been completely vindicated in terms of his conflicts with Leonardo - they should have re-signed Thiago Silva, Danilo Pereira is a thoroughly mediocre player, etc.

tomaldinho1

Not to downplay his success, as he's clearly excellent tactically & seems a genuinely nice guy but I think it’s more a case of there being clear movement at the moment, as is always the case of football as it continually evolves, where you have a set of coaches (no coincidence many are Hennes graduates) with expertise with coaching variations of high pressing attacking teams that is proving extremely effective. As soon as you see one of these coaches get a seat where they are backed financially, they do well. It is very team focused as a tactic however so I can't imagine PSG's recruitment style was very helpful for Tuchel (and will be a challenge for Poch), they've almost become the galactico style model now with a lot of older players who I doubt are going to buy into 90mins of high intensity pressing - not to mention all the egos in that dressing room.

Klopp, Flick, Tuchel, Nagelsmann are doing it at the highest level (Pep's been high pressing since La Masia) and it works across all levels: Bielsa with Leeds, Hasenhuttl keeping So'ton up despite having almost zero net spend, Rose getting through with Mochengladbach in the CL. In fact you'd do well to name a coach who doesn't coach an organised pressing system who has won anything major bar maybe Conte? The sad thing is on this forum, you'll see people call them 'hipster' managers essentially because the poster doesn't understand (or doesn't want to understand) their tactical setup being so different what we traditionally saw ~5 years ago in the PL which is odd since they are hoovering up pretty much every trophy for the last few years.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
What's very encouraging is that he's spoken openly about how he wants to grow and learn how to work with superiors better. Also I feel like he's been completely vindicated in terms of his conflicts with Leonardo - they should have re-signed Thiago Silva, Danilo Pereira is a thoroughly mediocre player, etc.
That is a crucial difference between him and Conte/Mourinho (another being he seems to have some self awareness). Unlike those two he largely tends to be on the right side of disputes once it's looked at in hindsight.

I'm also glad he promoted Chalobah once the Kounde deal started looking shaky, as much as I love Trevoh I'm not as convinced by him as other are but I am 100% glad he's using the squad spot as opposed to a random squad signing.

MattofManchester

He comes across as someone who's always looking to improve himself and move forward, while remaining humble. He might find himself a place in history if he keeps the upward trend.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He does come across as very introspective. He admitted very early on that he got involved in too many fights with the hierarchy and that maybe he should pick his battles better in the future. At Chelsea he's found a young team that is on the cusp of blossoming and a hierarchy dynamic that suits him much better than whatever was going on in Paris.

Last edited:

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
He did extremely well at Mainz as underdogs - for a couple of years too till he wanted to do the next step, He also did very well at BVB too initially (first season) but things didn't click that well with the club + the attack of the bus and fallout afterwards gave him the persona non grata status in Dortmund despite winning the cup with them. He clearly did well enough to get the job at PSG. Also, IMO, he did well enough in Paris. Bit unlucky at times with injuries but PSG have/had imho incompetent sporting directors during his tenure with first Henrique and now Leonardo so given the incredibly unbalanced squad and no real backing from the superiors I'd say he achieved quite a bit there - nothing spectacular but close enough to "almost" win the CL against a rampage-running Bayern team.

I fully expected him to have a very positive impact on the Chelsea squad since he does best with a young n' hungry (+obviously elite level talented) squad with little to no superstar-divas and a very clear cut power structure within the club but I guess nobody, even he himself would have thought of such an immediate and thorough impact he and his team made.

Red Star One

He did extremely well at Mainz as underdogs - for a couple of years too till he wanted to do the next step, He also did very well at BVB too initially (first season) but things didn't click that well with the club + the attack of the bus and fallout afterwards gave him the persona non grata status in Dortmund despite winning the cup with them. He clearly did well enough to get the job at PSG. Also, IMO, he did well enough in Paris. Bit unlucky at times with injuries but PSG have/had imho incompetent sporting directors during his tenure with first Henrique and now Leonardo so given the incredibly unbalanced squad and no real backing from the superiors I'd say he achieved quite a bit there - nothing spectacular but close enough to "almost" win the CL against a rampage-running Bayern team.

I fully expected him to have a very positive impact on the Chelsea squad since he does best with a young n' hungry (+obviously elite level talented) squad with little to no superstar-divas and a very clear cut power structure within the club but I guess nobody, even he himself would have thought of such an immediate and thorough impact he and his team made.
Good post, I am a bit surprised to see his Mainz days being quoted so little - I don’t want to turn it into Ole vs Tuchel discussion but perhaps the underappreciation of Tuchel’s tenure in Germany and how tactically sound he was with a very poor Mainz team (and what they achieved!) are the reason some have long underrated him while overrating manager without impeccable understanding of modern football tactics. His biggest issue was always mentality, keeping his nerve and being fully respected by the players - now that won a few cups across the continent and managed to learn from his mistakes as well as develop some kind of charisma and confidence, Tuchel is among top3 managers in the world at the moment. Lucky bestards Chelsea

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Lucky bestards Chelsea
To be brutally honest, Luck is the best word. Lampard has a terrible run of fixtures....PSG staff start to implode after getting to the CL finals. It all just happened at the exact right time.

arthurka

To be brutally honest, Luck is the best word. Lampard has a terrible run of fixtures....PSG staff start to implode after getting to the CL finals. It all just happened at the exact right time.
Agree and Tuchel is one of those guys I cannot even dislike a bit even though I really really want to. He has worked so hard for many years to get to this place and now he is getting the recognition and luck he deserves. Hope Roman fecks this up.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah the timing was lucky, for sure.

mu4c_20le

That's exactly what Souness said. Well that and Kante coming on to bring that energy and belief.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
That's exactly what Souness said. Well that and Kante coming on to bring that energy and belief.
And such interviews seem to get him a lot of respect from those pundits because he does not give overly complicated hipster statements, but simply refers to absolute basics if necessary.

And rightfully so, Tuchel seems to be always spot on about what is going well and what not, be it tactics, someone being lazy or whatever.

Polar

Seems like a great manager. I like his personality. He has a very good and exiting squad to his disposal right now, so a season without a trophy and top two (PL) is unacceptable. Tuchel really has to prove himself this season - that he belongs to the top tier of managers (Kloop and Pep).

The same goes for Ole by the way.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Not to downplay his success, as he's clearly excellent tactically & seems a genuinely nice guy but I think it’s more a case of there being clear movement at the moment, as is always the case of football as it continually evolves, where you have a set of coaches (no coincidence many are Hennes graduates) with expertise with coaching variations of high pressing attacking teams that is proving extremely effective. As soon as you see one of these coaches get a seat where they are backed financially, they do well. It is very team focused as a tactic however so I can't imagine PSG's recruitment style was very helpful for Tuchel (and will be a challenge for Poch), they've almost become the galactico style model now with a lot of older players who I doubt are going to buy into 90mins of high intensity pressing - not to mention all the egos in that dressing room.

Klopp, Flick, Tuchel, Nagelsmann are doing it at the highest level (Pep's been high pressing since La Masia) and it works across all levels: Bielsa with Leeds, Hasenhuttl keeping So'ton up despite having almost zero net spend, Rose getting through with Mochengladbach in the CL. In fact you'd do well to name a coach who doesn't coach an organised pressing system who has won anything major bar maybe Conte? The sad thing is on this forum, you'll see people call them 'hipster' managers essentially because the poster doesn't understand (or doesn't want to understand) their tactical setup being so different what we traditionally saw ~5 years ago in the PL which is odd since they are hoovering up pretty much every trophy for the last few years.
Very true and fully on point :)

Bit disappointing for us that the EPL has understood this because for years our only hope to compete with English clubs was the superior tactical coaching. Hard to see how other clubs bar maybe PSG, Barca and Madrid can compete with the financially far superior English elite now.

MDFC Manager

An element of luck yes, but Chelsea are brutally decisive when it comes to pulling the trigger. Most clubs think and ponder

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
An element of luck yes, but Chelsea are brutally decisive when it comes to pulling the trigger. Most clubs think and ponder
Absolutely, The resolve to send a club favorite away is something many teams would have waited too long and lost the opportunity.

Jibbs

Chelsea have hard working players. He didn't have that luxury in his psg days. Ziyech pulisic not able to hold their position says it all.

Players willing to put hard work to implement his tactical system. Didn't shy away to change players at half time if not worked. Saul recent example.

Not afraid to put youngsters if they did well in training. I think Chelsea got lucky to stumble upon tuchel for coach after lampard sacking.So far so good but you never know what will happen at Chelsea though.

He openly said he and his coaching team discussed squad profile and chose three at the back system while on the way to london before he signed contract with Chelsea.
They were not lucky, they were decisive, unlike United where ex players stick with the club like leeches and influence the decisions from behind the scenes. Lampard is arguably a bigger legend for Chelsea than Ole is to United, but they did not think twice before sacking him as a world class manager became available. No BS, no drama.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
They were not lucky, they were decisive, unlike United where ex players stick with the club like leeches and influence the decisions from behind the scenes. Lampard is arguably a bigger legend for Chelsea than Ole is to United, but they did not think twice before sacking him as a world class manager became available. No BS, no drama.
I mean the timing was lucky for sure, @Zaphod2319 has a point. But it was also decisive. Both things can be true :)

Tapori

A proper Team.
Tuchel is very dangerous if he keeps this up. The team intelligence especially when the players get pressed is astonishingly high; nearly always the best decisions made across the pitch by his players.

I would put them as League favourites if his squad stays healthy.

mu4c_20le

They were definitely lucky to take a chance on a supposed mad man when no one else was willing

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
How can people call this guy a good coach when he barely has had any goals scored against his team? We dont know what hes like when hes down often. People need to fix their mentality and judge people after their in recovery mode.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
How can people call this guy a good coach when he barely has had any goals scored against his team? We dont know what hes like when hes down often. People need to fix their mentality and judge people after their in recovery mode.
There is some truth to your statement and it will be interesting to see what happens when Chelsea really has to chase a game. On the other hand it is quite impressive that they just don't get into that situation.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Because coaching a team to barely concede any goals whilst sitting top of the league and being reigning champions of Europe is good?

P.S. is your apostrophe key broken? I wouldn't have noticed but my spellchecker is going nuts when quoting you.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Because coaching a team to barely concede any goals whilst sitting top of the league and being reigning champions of Europe is good?

P.S. is your apostrophe key broken? I wouldn't have noticed but my spellchecker is going nuts when quoting you.
I sacrifice the apostrophe so I can be more efficient in getting out half serious posts that are of WUM nature.