Chelsea appoint Thomas Tuchel

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He has a better CV at a higher level, for sure, and I don't mean to belittle his achievements. I just think the talent level isn't that dissimilar to those other 3 defenders. Tomori has already proven that by becoming one of Serie A's best defenders. Guehi and Chalobah will, in time, prove it too I think.
Can't lie I'm not convinced Trevoh is every game starter level (would love to be proved wrong) but that's also nothing to be ashamed off.

Every Fergie United winning squad had a player like him who's plays a crucial squad role during the season.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Can't lie I'm not convinced Trevoh is every game starter level (would love to be proved wrong) but that's also nothing to be ashamed off.

Every Fergie United winning squad had a player like him who's plays a crucial squad role during the season.
As part of a well functioning defensive unit, I think he can be a regular starter. He has barely put a foot wrong so far, and he has, surprisingly, played a lot of minutes. If he's good enough to start 25-30 games in a 60 game season, he's good enough to start 40-45 games in a season. Keep in mind that he's just taking his first steps at this level. How good will he be this time next season, if Tuchel keeps starting him?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The Villa game is one, I watched it all. They completely dominated the first half and should have 3-4 up but then Mings gifted you guys a goal.
Villa did well and we were lucky to be ahead at half time but to say they should have been 4 up is a the over exaggeration of the year.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
RLC was on loan at Fulham whilst picking up £150k a week?! His agent is brilliant, far play to him
Not sure when his last contract was signed, but under Sarri, before his bad achilles injury, RLC looked like he'd become a veritable world beater.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
RLC was on loan at Fulham whilst picking up £150k a week?! His agent is brilliant, far play to him
Come on, there's obviously more context to him being on loan at Fulham. He signed a 5 year contract in 2019 when he was flying high under Sarri, then suffered a horrible injury that put him out of football for 12 months. He went to Fulham as part of the recovery back to full fitness and match sharpness.

MUFC OK

Yeah Chalobah came out of nowhere. I didn't even really consider him a prospect for the first team when he was in the youth set up/on loan. Hes grabbed his chance with both hands. He's the biggest surprise, but I genuinely thought Loftus-Cheek was done at the club. His little mini renaissance has been a joy to witness.

Honestly with Kounde. I rate him but I'd place him in the same category of talent as Guehi and Tomori, even Chalobah to be honest. I'm glad we didn't get him.
This quote is going to age horribly. Kounde has the potential to be one of the top 5 CB's itw in my opinion. He is positionally outstanding, lightning quick, as good as anyone on the ball and has a jump that more than makes up for his lack of height. Have you watched him play much?

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
The Villa game is one, I watched it all. They completely dominated the first half and should have 3-4 up but then Mings gifted you guys a goal.
But of exaggeration but i get it. That was another game after the international break, most of Villa chances came because Saul had a shocker and gave the ball away. Once he went off and Jorginho came on those chances stopped.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This quote is going to age horribly. Kounde has the potential to be one of the top 5 CB's itw in my opinion. He is positionally outstanding, lightning quick, as good as anyone on the ball and has a jump that more than makes up for his lack of height. Have you watched him play much?
I mean I've watched him enough to form an educated opinion. As I said in a subsequent post to someone else, it wasn't meant to be a dig at Kounde, who as I say, I rate highly, but Tomori is already his equal (by which I mean in the same tier of defenders), being one of the best defenders in the Italian league, and I think the potential of Chalobah and Guehi is there to get to that level. The talent is there, they're just novices at this level at the moment. I don't think there is any need for Chelsea to sign Kounde, unless the club knows we're losing Rudiger and/or Silva in the summer.

MUFC OK

I mean I've watched him enough to form an educated opinion. As I said in a subsequent post to someone else, it wasn't meant to be a dig at Kounde, who as I say, I rate highly, but Tomori is already his equal (by which I mean in the same tier of defenders), being one of the best defenders in the Italian league, and I think the potential of Chalobah and Guehi is there to get to that level. The talent is there, they're just novices at this level at the moment. I don't think there is any need for Chelsea to sign Kounde, unless the club knows we're losing Rudiger and/or Silva in the summer.
I think he's the closest thing to a reincarnation of T. Silva - which is why you are interested in him. Rudiger I can't see leaving.

I'd love Kounde to play alongside Varane over Maguire. Maguire is a decent CB most of the time but I think Kounde is on another level already.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I saw the game, if they had finished their chances, they would have been 3 or 4 up but they couldn't. That was Saul's first game and he was taken off.
So they had 6 clear chances?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think he's the closest thing to a reincarnation of T. Silva - which is why you are interested in him. Rudiger I can't see leaving.

I'd love Kounde to play alongside Varane over Maguire. Maguire is a decent CB most of the time but I think Kounde is on another level already.
I think that's overrating him a bit, to be honest, but I hear you. He'll certainly be a top defender, wherever he ends up. I don't think we were interested in him for the Silva role. That's Christensen. He was meant to be the Azpi replacement as the RCB, which is exactly where Chalobah has slotted in so seamlessly. My stance in the summer was I didn't think there was any need to spend £60-70m on Kounde when we already had someone who could potentially reach that level, if he's trusted enough in important games to showcase it. So far it looks like Chalobah has answered that call emphatically.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I think that's overrating him a bit, to be honest, but I hear you. He'll certainly be a top defender, wherever he ends up. I don't think we were interested in him for the Silva role. That's Christensen. He was meant to be the Azpi replacement as the RCB, which is exactly where Chalobah has slotted in so seamlessly. My stance in the summer was I didn't think there was any need to spend £60-70m on Kounde when we already had someone who could potentially reach that level, if he's trusted enough in important games to showcase it. So far it looks like Chalobah has answered that call emphatically.
If you have a chance to get someone who has already proved themselves as top class though, it's a real risk to not sign them because you have a promising up and comer.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If you have a chance to get someone who has already proved themselves as top class though, it's a real risk to not sign them because you have a promising up and comer.
I guess my thinking was, we could always go back in for Kounde in the next window if Chalobah couldn't cope at this level.

There is the risk that he could go elsewhere of course, but then I didn't really see Kounde as an *absolutely must have* sort of talent, so if Chalobah flops hard and Kounde is snapped up by another club, it's not ideal but we'll just identify someone else.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
I guess my thinking was, we could always go back in for Kounde in the next window if Chalobah couldn't cope at this level.

There is the risk that he could go elsewhere of course, but then I didn't really see Kounde as an *absolutely must have* sort of talent, so if Chalobah flops hard and Kounde is snapped up by another club, it's not ideal but we'll just identify someone else.
We still want and need Kounde regardless of Chaloabh form, they can play in the same team. I don't get the obsession with our fanbase comparing them.
We need a defender, Rudiger looks likely to leave, Azpi is 32, Silva is 37.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
We still want and need Kounde regardless of Chaloabh form, they can play in the same team. I don't get the obsession with our fanbase comparing them.
Yeah, plus we try and keep 2 players for each position regardless.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
With all due respect mate, I've already said we could still go for him if the club knows Rudiger and/or Silva aren't going to be here next season, and anyway I was talking about my preference last summer.

They are being compared with good reason - Chaloabh likely wouldn't have had the chance to prove his talent if Kounde was signed.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
How do you feel about potentially losing Rudiger? You guys should be fine defensively anyway I reckon
Losing the best defender and fastest player would definitely hurt us.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Still only conceded 3 goals this season.

2 penalties.
1 deflected goal.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Quality players + top coach = great team

It’s really not a tough concept, but let’s just keep hoping that our way works out better despite all logic.

There is no way we are finishing above this Chelsea team, so one CL space up for grabs. No trophies.

He is quite literally showing us what needs to be done.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
We have probably been fortunate to keep a clean sheet in some games (Brentford, Villa etc) but yeah, overall it doesn't really matter who Tuchel rotates in and out. He's gotten good performances out of Chalobah and Sarr when the main defenders have needed rests.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
And that one goal in open play was against the champions. A defence like that wins you a title.
I'd like to think so, but City have also only conceded 3 goals and 2 of those were at Anfield, so we're not the only stingy defence in the title hunt.

Water Melon

Top manager doing a hell lot of work. Imagine where would the chavs be now, if Frank was still in charge. Chelsea are run differently and are more successful. We can compete with them money-wise but they are light years ahead of us management-wise.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Still only conceded 3 goals this season.

2 penalties.
1 deflected goal.
xGC is over 10 this season, though. So, there is a massive over-performance when it comes to CS and overall defence.

City have the most secure defence in the Premier League by far this season.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
xGC is over 10 this season, though. So, there is a massive over-performance when it comes to CS and overall defence.

Absolutely. I mentioned a bit further up how we'd been fortunate in some games. Brentford and Villa both had an high xG against us.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Their defense was a farce before Tuchel came and he hasn't bought a single defender.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea

So it should, they spent a fortune on it.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea

Get your head out of a spreadsheet and realize we have been doing this since he took over. You cannot call something that’s happened for months an over achievement. Stats are worthless if you don’t analyze them properly.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Their defense was a farce before Tuchel came and he hasn't bought a single defender.
It was actually attack that saw to Lampard in the end.

Post Mendy and Silva the defense was vastly improved even under him.