Chelsea easy FA cup draws

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I was sort of half joking in the other thread but this is really something else...

06/07

3rd Round- Chelsea 6-1 Macclesfield (league 2)
4th round- Chelsea 3-0 Nottingham Forest (league 1)
5th round- Chelsea 4-0 Norwich (Championship)
6th round- Chelsea 3-3 Spurs (prem)

07/08

3rd- Chelsea 1-0 QPR (championship)
4th- Wigan 1-2 Chelsea (prem)
5th- Chelsea 3-1 Huddersfield (league one)
6th- Barnsley 1-0 Chelsea (championship)

08/09

3rd Chelsea 1-1 Southend (league one)
4th Chelsea 3-1 Ipswich (championship)
5th - Watford 1-3 Chelsea (championship)
6th Coventry 0-2 Chelsea (championship)

09/10

3rd Chelsea 5-0 Watford (championship)
4th PNE 0-2 Chelsea (championship)
5th Chelsea 4-1 Chelsea (championship)
6th Chelsea 2-0 Stoke (prem)

10/11

3rd Chelsea 7-0 Ipswich (championship)
4th Everton 1-1 Chelsea (prem)

11/12

3rd Chelsea 4-0 Pompey (championship)
4th QPR 0-1 Chelsea (prem)
5th Chelsea 1-1 Birmingham (championship)
6th Chelsea 5-2 Leicester (championship)

12/13

3rd Saints 1-5 Chelsea (prem)
4th Brentford 2-2 Chelsea (league one)
5th Boro 0-2 Chelsea (championship)
6th Man. United 2-2 Chelsea (prem)

13/14

3rd Derby 0-2 Chelsea (championship)
4th Chelsea 1-0 Stoke (prem)
5th Man. City 2-0 Chelsea (prem)

14/15

3rd Chelsea 3-0 Watford (champ)
4th Chelsea 2-4 Bradford (league one)

15/16

3rd Chelsea 2-0 Scunthorpe (league one)
4th Milton Keynes 1-5 Chelsea 5 (champ)
5th Chelsea 5-1 Man. City (prem)
6th Everton 2-0 Chelsea (prem)

16/17

3rd- Chelsea 4-1 Posh (league one)
4th- Chelsea 4-0 Brentford (champ)
5th Wolves 0-2 Chelsea (champ)
6th Chelsea 1-0 Man. United (prem)

17/18

Norwich 0-0 chelsea (champ)
Chelsea 3-0 Newcastle (prem)
Chelsea 4-0 Hull (champ)
Leicester 1-2 (prem)

18/19

3rd- Chelsea 2-0 Forest (champ)
4th v Sheff Weds/Luton (champ/league one)
TBC.....

From all that it's played P 34 and they've been at home first match on 26 occasions. Of that they've played a premier league team on 7 occasions.

In fairness last season was their hardest one on paper, 2 prem teams in first four rounds.

Still in recent seasons I can remember Man. United getting Liverpool at home and Man. City away in the actual third round so very brutal draws so Chelsea just seem to me a team that continually get kind early FA cup draws so they can build momentum while other big hitters knock themselves out.

King Eric 7

I like how they played themselves in 09/10. Now THAT is just cheating.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I swear I made this thread about 8 years ago

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I like how they played themselves in 09/10. Now THAT is just cheating.
Sorry, it was Cardiff. Was in zombie mode at that point at having to type the same team names over and over, Watford at home in the 3rd round in two different years is laughable.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Bloody hell it's a bit of a joke now isn't it?

Here's their draws up to the semi finals each year.

05/06
3rd Round: Huddersfield
4th Round: Everton
5th Round: Colchester
6th Round: Newcastle

06/07
3rd Round: Macclesfield
4th Round: Nottingham Forest
5th Round: Norwich
6th Round: Spurs

07/08
3rd Round: QPR
4th Round: Wigan - Away
5th Round: Huddersfield
6th Round: Barnsley - Away

08/09
3rd Round: Southend
4th Round: Ipswich

5th Round: Watford - Away
6th Round: Coventry - Away

09/10
3rd Round: Watford
4th Round: Preston - Away
5th Round: Cardiff
6th Round: Stoke

10/11
3rd Round: Ipswich
4th Round: Everton

11/12
3rd Round: Portsmouth

Games in Blue are Games played at Stamford Bridge.
Teams in Bold were not in the Premier League.

To Summarize the 23 Draws:

1. 18 were drawn at Stamford Bridge.
  2. 17 were against Non-Premier League Teams.
  3. 1 Away game against Premier League opposition before the neutral stages.
  4. Every single 3rd round draw has been at home, against non-Premier League opposition.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It's obviously not rigged, but it's damn lucky. Made all the more annoying by the fact we seem to get absolutely shafted at least twice a year.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
How many times have we played teams that knocked out other big teams due to them not taking the cup seriously? There is an element of luck in the draw but if other teams took The Cup as seriously as we do it wouldn't look like that "jammy".

Take 09/10 for example, yes we had Watford in the 3rd round, but Liverpool and United had teams lower in the football pyramid and got dumped out (at home) by both. Stoke in the quarters we got because they knocked out Arsenal and City while a final against Pompey occured because Spurs choked at Wembley against them. Our run that year was only "easy" because the supposedly easy teams dumped out our main rivals before getting to us.

It's not our fault we're the only big team (other than Arsenal circa 14-17) to take this cup seriously in the modern era.

2 man midfield

How many times have we played teams that knocked out other big teams due to them not taking the cup seriously? There is an element of luck in the draw but if other teams took The Cup as seriously as we do it wouldn't look like that "jammy".

Take 09/10 for example, yes we had Watford in the 3rd round, but Liverpool and United had teams lower in the football pyramid and got dumped out (at home) by both. Stoke in the quarters we got because they knocked out Arsenal and City while a final against Pompey occured because Spurs choked at Wembley against them. Our run that year was only "easy" because the supposedly easy teams dumped out our main rivals before getting to us.

It's not our fault we're the only big team (other than Arsenal circa 14-17) to take this cup seriously in the modern era.
Fair point.

That takes care of one season, what about the rest?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Fair point.

That takes care of one season, what about the rest?
I can't be bothered to do deep research on the rest but i would imagine a mix of some lucky but other times (like that example above) being aided by our rivals messing up, off the cuff there was the Everton final in 2009 because United and Liverpool were both KO'd by them, for example.

2 man midfield

I can't be bothered to do deep research on the rest but i would imagine a mix of some lucky but other times (like that example above) being aided by our rivals messing up, off the cuff there was the Everton final in 2009 because United and Liverpool were both KO'd by them, for example.
I'm only dicking around with that last bit, I think you made a fair point.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

TBF my point more was the games you had in the first 3-4 rounds of the competition. Obviously when you get to semi finals/final you're going to play big hitters most likely and Chelsea have certainly played them in those rounds.

Not sure how many big teams are getting knocked out by the 3rd round.

Where are all these hard draws for Chelsea in the 3rd round, away to Man. City/ Man. United? The other big clubs get them. Heck I remember that groundhog spell of 10-15 years ago when between 2002-08 we (Villa) drew Man. United 4 times in the 3rd round! It does make a long cup run that little bit harder.

Sterling Archer

Surprised so many care. Last year you lot were saying it's a nothing cup and that you'd rather see Liverpool lose the Champions League than beat Chelsea in the final. So what's it matter that their path to the final is easy or not.

Siorac

TBF my point more was the games you had in the first 3-4 rounds of the competition. Obviously when you get to semi finals/final you're going to play big hitters most likely and Chelsea have certainly played them in those rounds.

Where are all these hard draws for Chelsea in the 3rd round, away to Man. City/ Man. United? The other big clubs get them. Heck I remember that groundhog spell of 10-15 years ago when between 2002-08 we (Villa) drew Man. United 4 times in the 3rd round! It does make a long cup run that little bit harder.
Heh, yeah, I remember those years. The new year always started with United beating Villa, usually at Villa Park. It was one of those things you just took for granted, part of the tapestry of life.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
09/10

Musta been some game that.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Heh, yeah, I remember those years. The new year always started with United beating Villa, usually at Villa Park. It was one of those things you just took for granted, part of the tapestry of life.
Frustrating thing is in those times we actually had a decent team that with a kinder draw could get to quarters/semi finals, completely different to our modern version that just loses in 3rd round every year now.

Nadir was 2006/07, played Man. United three times in three weeks over xmas/New Year period and predictably lost all three games. The cup game we actually played really well at OT but our two main keepers were injured so we had to loan in Gabor Kiraly (pyjamas) and he chucked in a shot last minute from OGS. :lol:

Siorac

Frustrating thing is in those times we actually had a decent team that with a kinder draw could get to quarters/semi finals, completely different to our modern version that just loses in 3rd round every year now.

Nadir was 2006/07, played Man. United three times in three weeks over xmas/New Year period and predictably lost all three games. The cup game we actually played really well at OT but our two main keepers were injured so we had to loan in Gabor Kiraly (pyjamas) and he chucked in a shot last minute from OGS. :lol:
Give the man a break, he was still reeling from Scholes' insane volley a few days back. PTSD.

Larsson scored his first United goal in that Cup game btw. A nice one, too.

Demas

Supports
Chelsea

In the third round there are 44 non-PL teams, compared to 20 PL teams, so the probability of drawing a non-PL team is close to 70% (more than 2 to 1 chance). It's not abnormal to draw non-PL teams several times in this round based on probabilities.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
TBF my point more was the games you had in the first 3-4 rounds of the competition.
Statistically you've got about a 1 in 5 chance of drawing one of the other 5 top teams in rounds 3 or 4. If you're regularly getting tough draws in those rounds then you're just unlucky.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
We don't always win in these easy draws, such as 18th Feb 2019..

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I feel as though we always play them in the cup.

Are we an easy draw? :(

croadyman

I was sort of half joking in the other thread but this is really something else...

06/07

3rd Round- Chelsea 6-1 Macclesfield (league 2)
4th round- Chelsea 3-0 Nottingham Forest (league 1)
5th round- Chelsea 4-0 Norwich (Championship)
6th round- Chelsea 3-3 Spurs (prem)

07/08

3rd- Chelsea 1-0 QPR (championship)
4th- Wigan 1-2 Chelsea (prem)
5th- Chelsea 3-1 Huddersfield (league one)
6th- Barnsley 1-0 Chelsea (championship)

08/09

3rd Chelsea 1-1 Southend (league one)
4th Chelsea 3-1 Ipswich (championship)
5th - Watford 1-3 Chelsea (championship)
6th Coventry 0-2 Chelsea (championship)

09/10

10/11

3rd Chelsea 7-0 Ipswich (championship)
4th Everton 1-1 Chelsea (prem)

11/12

3rd Chelsea 4-0 Pompey (championship)
4th QPR 0-1 Chelsea (prem)
5th Chelsea 1-1 Birmingham (championship)
6th Chelsea 5-2 Leicester (championship)

12/13

3rd Saints 1-5 Chelsea (prem)
4th Brentford 2-2 Chelsea (league one)
5th Boro 0-2 Chelsea (championship)
6th Man. United 2-2 Chelsea (prem)

13/14

3rd Derby 0-2 Chelsea (championship)
4th Chelsea 1-0 Stoke (prem)
5th Man. City 2-0 Chelsea (prem)

14/15

3rd Chelsea 3-0 Watford (champ)
4th Chelsea 2-4 Bradford (league one)

15/16

3rd Chelsea 2-0 Scunthorpe (league one)
4th Milton Keynes 1-5 Chelsea 5 (champ)
5th Chelsea 5-1 Man. City (prem)
6th Everton 2-0 Chelsea (prem)

16/17

3rd- Chelsea 4-1 Posh (league one)
4th- Chelsea 4-0 Brentford (champ)
5th Wolves 0-2 Chelsea (champ)
6th Chelsea 1-0 Man. United (prem)

17/18

Norwich 0-0 chelsea (champ)
Chelsea 3-0 Newcastle (prem)
Chelsea 4-0 Hull (champ)
Leicester 1-2 (prem)

18/19

3rd- Chelsea 2-0 Forest (champ)
4th v Sheff Weds/Luton (champ/league one)
TBC.....

From all that it's played P 34 and they've been at home first match on 26 occasions. Of that they've played a premier league team on 7 occasions.

In fairness last season was their hardest one on paper, 2 prem teams in first four rounds.

Still in recent seasons I can remember Man. United getting Liverpool at home and Man. City away in the actual third round so very brutal draws so Chelsea just seem to me a team that continually get kind early FA cup draws so they can build momentum while other big hitters knock themselves out.
Yeah in 2012 we had City & Liverpool away in the third and fourth round

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I'd very happily swap our FA Cup draw luck with our CL draw luck - this latest one marks the 5th time in a row where we've drawn the most difficult opponent possible in the RO16. The last 5 times we've advanced out of our CL group we've gotten PSG, PSG, Barcelona, Bayern, and now Atletico Madrid.

Perhaps Roman should adjust his payoffs?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
This, it's getting ridiculous. Champions league groups look like EL. Them finishing 4th. The luck is there for a while, will eventually run out.
It's worth pointing out that our two EL cups have helped here, since UEFA made the EL winner a pot 1 team. That's helped us get more favourable draws despite mediocre league performances to be sure.

lsd

The Oracle
The way Chelsea have been playing I can see them beating City