Chelsea introduces supporter presence at board meetings

No Love

Will Ferrell claims to be a Chelsea fan, right? Get him in there. He’s so hot right now.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Seeing how they did not want manager or player input over the Super League decision, these looks like a P.R. gimmick to me.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Will the picked supporters be Roman‘s or Putin‘s family members?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
They won't have any power or influence on any meaningful decisions though will they? They will just be there.
Also what's the criteria for being there in the first place? Will they be allowed to talk, voice some opinions (if so, who's opinions?) or are they just sitting there.

Seems like a PR move, but better than nothing I suppose. But the bar is so low.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
They won't have any power or influence on any meaningful decisions though will they? They will just be there.
Also what's the criteria for being there in the first place? Will they be allowed to talk, voice some opinions (if so, who's opinions?) or are they just sitting there.

Seems like a PR move, but better than nothing I suppose. But the bar is so low.
It's absolutely a PR move of course. Will be a interesting day for the three fans but that's about it.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Well done Chelsea, its a start.

I want to see DT & Troopz in the Arsenal board meetings.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
They won't have any power or influence on any meaningful decisions though will they?
Hopefully not. Football fans in general can't be trusted to not let their heart rule their head.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Wonder if this will be part of the new charter and this is Chelsea getting out in front of the news?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Yet more evidence that the big clubs are scared of where the Crouch review will go. Clearly hoping to head off regulation by making voluntary moves to involve supporters. Too little, too late. Legislation and regulation are coming.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
It's absolutely a PR move of course. Will be a interesting day for the three fans but that's about it.
Would be interesting to see more details, but i'm failing to see the point right now.

Hopefully not. Football fans in general can't be trusted to not let their heart rule their head.
This is my issue with 50+1 potentially being introduced in the PL.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
PR is the point.

Chelsea fans are almost all happy with Roman of course but hated the Super League move. This is just a small thing bit I'd imagine there will be a few more.
At least your board are proactive, and on the surface at least - appear to be well run.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
It's almost impossible to compare because of the different goals of the respective owners.

I'd say Woodward and Co have a tougher job than their Chelsea counterparts.
They 100% have a tougher job, but they also repeatedly make it harder on themselves :lol:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I will use my turn to discuss implementing hotdogs delivery to seats.

TrustInOle

Wonder if this will be part of the new charter and this is Chelsea getting out in front of the news?
One would hope so, but the definition of "supporter presence" would need to be looked at, would be easy to slip a PR man in there to help bring the fans over the their side in future decision making. I might just be a cynic though. :lol:

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
One would hope so, but the definition of "supporter presence" would need to be looked at, would be easy to slip a PR man in there to help bring the fans over the their side in future decision making. I might just be a cynic though. :lol:
The election of these reps will it seems be down to the various supporters groups.

From the press release it seems that they, the 3 advisers, will bring the supporters perspective to initiatives etc but won’t be in on discussions re wages, player transfers etc.

Its easy to be cynical but at least it’s a start and let’s face it sets a template let’s see who else joins in or maybe goes a step further

cyberman

Its stupidly transparent how they dropped out of the ESL at the last minute and now this that its to save face. Must mean something is coming down the line from the government.

JSArsenal

But don't a lot of fans want their DoF and top executives to have a connection and care about the club? At the very least be football people rather than business executives who know nothing about the game.

Wouldn't those people therefore have an emotional connection to football because they are football fans? Why would they be trusted to not let their heart rule their head and be professional versus John Doe on the street?

Because they're "professionals" paid to do a job? People are people. I can guarantee that Wenger made decisions based on sentiment rather than logic at times, every manager does.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

You can't let fans make decisions. At the end of the day it's the Manager who decides who he wants in his team. Yes he may not get it due to financial constraints but he is the professional who has gone thru a training program and has obtained a license and has the experience to do it. He gives his input to the CEO or whoever is in the Board.
It's strictly a PR move and a good PR move.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
You can't let fans make decisions. At the end of the day it's the Manager who decides who he wants in his team. Yes he may not get it due to financial constraints but he is the professional who has gone thru a training program and has obtained a license and has the experience to do it. He gives his input to the CEO or whoever is in the Board.
It's strictly a PR move and a good PR move.
They won't be involved transfer related meetings.

The supporter advisors will not have any voting rights and will not participate in any meetings relating to players, staff, the Academy and related matters.

dal

Without the fans there is no football.

There is no reason why the chairman of a board of fans won’t be intelligent enough to understand the game and understand tactics and potential transfers.

I’ve seen arbitrary comments in here like fans can’t make decisions. Ridiculous.

Top clubs have millions of intelligent fans, one can be elected and be on the board, I mean I actually believe it has to be done and they should be able to have one vote on transfers.

Football has been taken away from fans this isn’t dramatic I feel it’s incredibly reasonable. We make the facking game.

AaronRedDevil

Couldn't do that with united fans. They'd be jumping across the table to hit woodward or someone. :lol:

Classical Mechanic

Remember when United was a PLC and there were fans at shareholder meetings? The board listened to what the fans said and did whatever they wanted anyway.

Foxbatt

Without the fans there is no football.

There is no reason why the chairman of a board of fans won’t be intelligent enough to understand the game and understand tactics and potential transfers.

I’ve seen arbitrary comments in here like fans can’t make decisions. Ridiculous.

Top clubs have millions of intelligent fans, one can be elected and be on the board, I mean I actually believe it has to be done and they should be able to have one vote on transfers.

Football has been taken away from fans this isn’t dramatic I feel it’s incredibly reasonable. We make the facking game.
What should the transfer be voted on? This is ridiculous. As for Chairman's understanding football, none of the ones at least in the PL know anything about it.
Good Chairmans let someone else run the club.
When Zidane was offered to Blackburn, wasn't it their Chairman who said why do we need him when we have Tim Sherwood?

mav_9me

While it's obviously a PR move, hopefully that gives them a platform to raise issues concerning fans directly such as travelling or ticketing or stuff like that.