Chelsea Penalty Gate

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Yeah, sure.

So what do you do when players like Willian who knows full well he isn't the designated taker starts pestering the designated taker, whoever that may be.
Easy. You warn him( and all players) after the match that you will not tolerate that ever again.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
If Lampard has given Barkley pen duty, Willian and Jorginho should never second guess him before he takes it. The pressure is bad enough.
This seemed pretty shitty to me, fair enough people want to take the pen but don't get in your team mate's head about it

rotherham_red

Most of them have been brushing it under the carpet, no one is laying the blame at Lampard's door to the extent they did with Ole. No one is asking questions over whether he can control his players, anyone calling players traitors etc? That is what I meant by it. Of course it will be reported, because it obviously happened at a high profile game, but if this drags on for the rest of the week like the Pogba pen did, then it would be a reasonable comparison.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Easy. You warn him( and all players) after the match that you will not tolerate that ever again.
Good.

So we agree then, that the events of last night was out of Lampard's control.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Most of them have been brushing it under the carpet, no one is laying the blame at Lampard's door to the extent they did with Ole. No one is asking questions over whether he can control his players, anyone calling players traitors etc? That is what I meant by it. Of course it will be reported, because it obviously happened at a high profile game, but if this drags on for the rest of the week like the Pogba pen did, then it would be a reasonable comparison.
Oh wow. You are serious. We're less than 24 hours after the incident and this is literally all over every type of football media you can think of. With a four page thread on here, a website about Manchester United. Don't you think you're stretching a bit to talk about this being "brushed under the carpet"?

crossy1686

career ending
So, the question is, will we get a months worth of content out of this? I'll start.

It's obviously weak management and the clubs in disarray from the top to the bottom, the only conceivable solution to this problem is to sack the manager, he's clearly out of his depth if the players don't take any notice of who is the designated penalty taker...

fergiesarmy1

So, the question is, will we get a months worth of content out of this? I'll start.

It's obviously weak management and the clubs in disarray from the top to the bottom, the only conceivable solution to this problem is to sack the manager, he's clearly out of his depth if the players don't take any notice of who is the designated penalty taker...
Why is everyone mocking outrage that pogba and united is a bigger story than barkley and Chelsea? :confused:

Sylar

Willian did a fantastic job of psyching him out. As if he was a Valencia player. After Barkley says I got this, Willian just stands there, and seems to stretch and do his socks right in front of him. Even after Jorginho is pretty much saying you got this.

Great job by Willian.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Burn the whole club to the ground (their offices at least, not people)

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
This seemed pretty shitty to me, fair enough people want to take the pen but don't get in your team mate's head about it
Exactly that. In that 30 seconds you need concentration and not to lose time for fight with your teammate about penalty

Posh Red

Oh wow. You are serious. We're less than 24 hours after the incident and this is literally all over every type of football media you can think of. With a four page thread on here, a website about Manchester United. Don't you think you're stretching a bit to talk about this being "brushed under the carpet"?
Surely you can see the difference in how the two stories have been reported?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Willian did a fantastic job of psyching him out. As if he was a Valencia player. After Barkley says I got this, Willian just stands there, and seems to stretch and do his socks right in front of him. Even after Jorginho is pretty much saying you got this.

Great job by Willian.
Some teammate he is. The whole situation is funny, if Barkley is really the designated taker, the chances of Willian wanting to take it ahead of him are low (still possible of course)

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Good.

So we agree then, that the events of last night was out of Lampard's control.
Not exactly. He could( maybe he did) say that first day when he said to players who is no1, 2, 3 etc...
"And guys, one more thing. I will not allow fight for penalties during the game!!! Do you understand me??" :)

rotherham_red

How many of these 4 pages have been sarcastic responses from Utd fans instead of serious debate over it? I'll wait for your answer...

You're again, missing the point. It's obviously been covered, but they won't and haven't gone to the extent of raising concerns over Lampard's ability to control his players, they haven't criticised the players to the extent of questioning their professionalism, they haven't used this missed penalty as an excuse to gaslight about "underlying problems" at the club. All of which was present in the Pogba penalty incident. An incident, need I remind you, was nowhere near as bad as what transpired yesterday.

All I'm querying is, where's the consistency?

cyberman

After the Wolves game, articles appeared about players arguing over taking a pen, Rashford and Pogba is referenced in relation to last night. Is it me or are the media trying to slant that story?
Our players didn't argue and apparently we had two set penalty takers yet they're being pigeon holed into that way of thinking.
Last night was a million times worse than Wolves. Our only problem was that Paul missed.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
How many of these 4 pages have been sarcastic responses from Utd fans instead of serious debate over it? I'll wait for your answer...

You're again, missing the point. It's obviously been covered, but they won't and haven't gone to the extent of raising concerns over Lampard's ability to control his players, they haven't criticised the players to the extent of questioning their professionalism, they haven't used this missed penalty as an excuse to gaslight about "underlying problems" at the club. All of which was present in the Pogba penalty incident. An incident, need I remind you, was nowhere near as bad as what transpired yesterday.

All I'm querying is, where's the consistency?
I think occasion of the game might have played in that to be fair. United's game was a Monday night game, with Gary Neville, one of the most popular and respected pundits in the country being visibly upset and personally offended by the incident on prime time Skysport, a company whose sole purpose is to create and drive narratives.

Chelsea's game was hidden away on BT Sports 3 with second rate pundits.

Sylar

After our game, the issue was Gary Neville. He went into a tirade about how something is not right, but then said hes not gonna say anything, even though he said something and was the one who brought it up.
And then replays show Pogba goes to the spot, Rashford willingly gets the ball and gives it to Pogba. And then James says something to Rashford, and Neville is making up a convo that he said. (This despite Ole saying hes got two penalty takers designated).

Neville drove the narrative as a talking point, and it was a big issue cos Pogba missed and the game wasnt won.
Then when Rashford misses the next penalty, it compounded things and Neville says 'oh all the media attention must have played a part in Rashford missing'

Yesterday, well its a team (chelsea) not as big as us, with a figure (barkley) not as big Pogba, on a channel (BT) with less coverage, whilst also shared with Liverpools loss.
If willian grabs the ball next game, takes the penalty and then misses it, then you will see a bigger snowball on this.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
After our game, the issue was Gary Neville. He went into a tirade about how something is not right, but then said hes not gonna say anything, even though he said something and was the one who brought it up.
And then replays show Pogba goes to the spot, Rashford willingly gets the ball and gives it to Pogba. And then James says something to Rashford, and Neville is making up a convo that he said. (This despite Ole saying hes got two penalty takers designated).

Neville drove the narrative as a talking point, and it was a big issue cos Pogba missed and the game wasnt won.
Then when Rashford misses the next penalty, it compounded things and Neville says 'oh all the media attention must have played a part in Rashford missing'

Yesterday, well its a team (chelsea) not as big as us, with a figure (barkley) not as big Pogba, on a channel (BT) with less coverage, whilst also shared with Liverpools loss.
If willian grabs the ball next game, takes the penalty and then misses it, then you will see a bigger snowball on this.
Of course.

Ditto if BT (like Sky did with us) had footage from a previous game in which the same Chelsea players also discussed who took the pen. This didn’t happen but it’s still a massive talking point all over the sports media this morning.

The victim mentality from some United fans in this thread is very strange.

Djemba-Djemba

Of course.

Ditto if BT (like Sky did with us) had footage from a previous game in which the same Chelsea players also discussed who took the pen. This didn’t happen but it’s still a massive talking point all over the sports media this morning.

I assumed it was Utd fans taking the piss out of Gary Nevilles ridiculous overreaction to the Pogba miss rather than any victim mentality.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Where was the huge post match rant from the pundits? There are articles stating 'Lampard did the right thing' etc. I didn't see any headlines backing up Ole after his managerial credentials were questioned.
Lampard shut it down by saying Barkley was his nominated penalty taker. End of story.

Ole invited criticism of his approach by saying he has more than one penalty taker, hence the discussions on the pitch. Lots of people (me included) think this is not a good idea.

Dunno what you mean by “post match rant” but the BT presenters spent a lot of time on the incident. Obviously without an equivalent to Neville involved there was a little less heat to the discussion. Although - as I said - the other important difference was that this was the first time Chelsea have had an onfield debate over a penalty. Which was not the case for United. Hence Neville’s “rant”.

Sylar

Of course.

Its weird cos some will boast United are bigger than other clubs. But then find it weird that United get bigger coverage too. It comes with the territory.

I think I will however call out people who are hypocrites. I do think Neville is one (has his biases as most people do, but not regarding Barkley, etc). I reckon if Neville was covering the game his reaction would the same but blaming Willian for doing this.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Its weird cos some will boast United are bigger than other clubs. But then find it weird that United get bigger coverage too. It comes with the territory.

I think I will however call out people who are hypocrites. I do think Neville is one (has his biases as most people do, but not regarding Barkley, etc). I reckon if Neville was covering the game his reaction would the same but blaming Willian for doing this.
And he’d be right. Willian’s behaviour was dreadful.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Never knew Willian was a right proper twat. Always thought he’s a likeable fellow in football
You must have missed the juvenile primary school antics after the FA cup final in 2018.

Eric7C

Anyone who's arguing that Lampard and Ole have got the same treatment is either incapable of nuance or has an agenda. Much like Mr. Neville.

Denis' cuff

Anyone who's arguing that Lampard and Ole have got the same treatment is either incapable of nuance or has an agenda. Much like Mr. Neville.
Quite.

Neville: what a twat. Consistently. Thinks he’s a fecking genius with a total lack of awareness about his own credibility or credentials.

Minus cred x2.

romufc

Lampard came out and said Barkley is Chelsea's main penalty taker.

The thing is, why would you have a penalty taker that doesn't start games? I know liverpool do it as well when Milner is on the pitch he is the taker and even that, it is going to blow.

What will happen if Liverpool get a penalty in the 80th minute and Milner has been brought on at 75th min? Salah would want to take it as well.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Mount has started the season so well he's taken Barkleys starting place. If Barkley isn't on the pitch then the responsibility should fall to Jorginho. It's a little confusing then for the players on the pitch if the main taker is subbed on.

Old Ma Crow

If what Lampard said about Barkley being the main penalty taker is true, the why the confusion on the pitch? I smell better delivered BS than Ole’s response to the same question.

cyberman

The victim stuff is about people alluding to some sort of media conspiracy to make a big deal out of the Pogba miss and brush this one under the carpet.
It's not really a conspiracy to say the media choose to make a big deal of our regular penalty taker actually taking a penalty for us is it though?
It's not even the miss, it's the fact they tried to retcon the argument by saying Pogba missed x amount of pens compared to Rashford so Marcus should take them but wasn't even the point that was being made.
It was a piss poor effort to validate the nonsense.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Bit different with Utd when Pogba and Rashford are starting matches together and they're deciding on the spot who gets to take it. If Barkley and Jorginho started the match together most likely Barkley would have picked the ball up and no one would have said anything.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It's not really a conspiracy to say the media choose to make a big deal of our regular penalty taker actually taking a penalty for us is it though?
It's not even the miss, it's the fact they tried to retcon the argument by saying Pogba missed x amount of pens compared to Rashford so Marcus should take them but wasn't even the point that was being made.
It was a piss poor effort to validate the nonsense.
Of course it is. All the more so to make that complaint when the media are literally doing the exact same thing at Chelsea.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
If what Lampard said about Barkley being the main penalty taker is true, the why the confusion on the pitch? I smell better delivered BS than Ole’s response to the same question.
Because Lampard presumably gave one of the starting XI (my guess is Willian) penalty duties before the game started. When Barkley came on as sub he assumed that the responsibility switched to him because - as Lampard said - when he plays he takes their penalties. But Willian wasn’t having that.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Hey? We're constantly critisized for player power whereas United by comparison Rio Ferdinand can go on TV admitting that he downed tools for Moyes and face no backlash whatsoever.