Chelsea Penalty Gate

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Is it me or did the goalkeeper make himself look as small as possible? :lol:

Suedesi

You can't legislate for what players do in the heat of the game.

Personally I don't know if I believe Lampard when he says Barkley is designated taker. Call me a cynic, but it felt to me as he was trying to kill the controversy dead.
I share the same view. If Barkley was the undisputed designated penalty taker, you wouldn't have had 3-4 players converging on the spot kick trying to take it.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
This thread seems to have been ambushed by United fans and some issue with Pogba at Wolves and Gary Neville.

While the Barclay, Willian, Jorgino and lest we forget Abraham thing is of interest nobody seems to have picked up on the way the penalty was given. The ref completely missed it and play continued. Then there was a VAR decision and the game was stopped when the ball went out. The VAR people didn't make the decision and told the ref to go over to the side of the pitch and watch it himself on a TV that sprung up out of the ground on the opposite side of the pitch from the two dugouts. He watched it and all the Chelsea fans were obviously shouting "PEN" and he then gave it. To be honest it was a dubious decision and the ball hit the player at high speed. I thought Chelsea were lucky to get the penalty.

Oh yeh, Barclay was a tw*t and so were the other who distracted him.

In addition, Frank Lampard should immediately be exonerated of any blame whatsoever.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I share the same view. If Barkley was the undisputed designated penalty taker, you wouldn't have had 3-4 players converging on the spot kick trying to take it.
Yet he has taken several penalties while on the pitch and several over Jorginho while both on the pitch. He is clearly the taker.

By your logic if Jorginho was the taker then Barkley wouldn't be getting involved just like how Willian acted a prick to Jorginho.

Barkley is the taker when on the pitch, hence he has always taken them.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
This thread has a loaded subtext.

Although I rather jokingly said Lampard should be exonerated it was only because, bottom line, he has to take the blame.

If Barclay was the official penalty taker the other players should have left him alone. They should have known to leave him alone and Lampard should have this drilled into them. It should also be drilled into them that when he is on the pitch, even when he has come on as sub, he takes the penalties. If on the other hand Barclay isn't the penalty taker, Lampard has lost the dressing room.

The subtext being that Ole was at fault for the Wolves debacle.

Suedesi

How many of these 4 pages have been sarcastic responses from Utd fans instead of serious debate over it? I'll wait for your answer...

You're again, missing the point. It's obviously been covered, but they won't and haven't gone to the extent of raising concerns over Lampard's ability to control his players, they haven't criticised the players to the extent of questioning their professionalism, they haven't used this missed penalty as an excuse to gaslight about "underlying problems" at the club. All of which was present in the Pogba penalty incident. An incident, need I remind you, was nowhere near as bad as what transpired yesterday.

All I'm querying is, where's the consistency?
Now all we need is for Jorginho to miss the next penalty

R'hllor

They called out OGS as weak management, if you really want to spin things, you can say the same for Lampard. If it was clear that Barkley is taking pens whenever he is on the pitch, then Willian and who else at that moment showed disrespect and not giving feck what Lampard decided.

Suedesi

Yet he has taken several penalties while on the pitch and several over Jorginho while both on the pitch. He is clearly the taker.

By your logic if Jorginho was the taker then Barkley wouldn't be getting involved just like how Willian acted a prick to Jorginho.

Barkley is the taker when on the pitch, hence he has always taken them.
Jorginho took penalties all season, last season. This season Chelsea's had one penalty on the charity shield, which Jorginho converted. Yet, you claim Barkley has taken several penalties on the pitch? What are you talking about, the friendlies against Timbuktu?

Amerifan

I think on the replay there it looked like Willian was the only one being an arse. Jorginho gave him a fist pump and Abraham looked like he was giving advice on where to put it.
That’s the way it looked to me, too. The other guys weren’t questioning Barkley taking it. It looked like Willian was the only guy not to get the memo.

John Blund

It's all Ole's fault. If he'd just picked some a player that could score for us, then we wouldn't have this discussion on who's Chelseas preferred penalty taker.
Woodward must go!

The worst part is that Chelsea probably deserved a result in this game. Like us, in every game, we've missed a penalty this season.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

This, and Oli Kay's initial tweet in this exchange are what I mean by "brushing it under the carpet" @Pogue Mahone @Dancfc @WeePat
Not sure why a journalist discussing the issue on twitter constitutes brushing anything under the carpet?

He’s also correct in everything he says in that tweet.

redcafe_reader

The Mark Ogden's tweet didn't make sense logically. If Ole didn't decide between 2 players, then there is no "taking the pen from the guy.." since both are our penalty takers. Pogba can't take the penalty from Rashford if Rashford is not the only penalty taker.

Anyway, not having some self-righteous "legend" making it a big deal obviously helps Chelsea and Lampard.

romufc

You just knew he was going to miss when Willian and co were getting in his ear :lol: That's a proper example of creating a commotion over a penalty, bet you won't hear a peep out of Gary Neville about it though.
Maybe because Neville was not the pundit for that game.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
This thread has a loaded subtext.

Although I rather jokingly said Lampard should be exonerated it was only because, bottom line, he has to take the blame.

If Barclay was the official penalty taker the other players should have left him alone. They should have known to leave him alone and Lampard should have this drilled into them. It should also be drilled into them that when he is on the pitch, even when he has come on as sub, he takes the penalties. If on the other hand Barclay isn't the penalty taker, Lampard has lost the dressing room.

The subtext being that Ole was at fault for the Wolves debacle.
Ultimately the buck stops with both managers, in both scenarios.

The only difference is whether you think it’s more of a problem to have a manager willing to let two players decide between themselves, on the spur of the moment, or a manager who is so unclear with his instructions that the players on the pitch don’t know what he wants.

I think the latter is a bigger issue but the first approach isn’t ideal either. My preference would be to have one undisputed penalty taker and every player absolutely crystal clear about this (allowing for a bit of flexibility with hat-trick opportunities). Which seems to be the scenario at pretty much every other club. Feck knows why United and Chelsea are different but IMHO it reflects the inexperience of the two managers.

Suedesi

Gary Neville is a confrontational runt. His agenda driven punditry has been a net negative for the club. Amazes me why he's so widely respected in the UK.

rotherham_red

Not sure why a journalist discussing the issue on twitter constitutes brushing anything under the carpet?

He’s also correct in everything he says in that tweet.
Ok, I see where you lie on the issue.

If you can't tell how the wider UK press have glossed over Lampard's role in this, and openly questioned Ole, when both situations were almost entirely the same (outside of Pogba and Rashford not even having any argument, and Willian, Jorginho and Barkley having at the very least a forthright conversation); and indeed, even thinking Ogden was right in his surmation(!), then there really is no point in continuing this conversation.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
I think Frank was just covering for his player in his post match comments because Barkley made a fool out of himself by demanding the ball and missing the penalty which cost the team a valuable point. This season so far Barkley started three games out of seven for the club, so how can he be Chelsea's designated penalty taker, if half the time he's not even on the pitch?

My view is, if you demand to be the one to take the penalty with your team a goal down and the time running out and then you fail to convert, you deserve all the shit you're going to get as a result.

Dante

Average bang

It's interesting how former professionals consistently criticise the practice of on-field debates over penalties.

Phil Babb makes an insightful point at 2:54. Every time a teammate questions the person about to take the penalty, you chip away at their confidence.

At 7:27, Sidwell makes a sideways criticism of Lampard.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

It's interesting how former professionals consistently criticise the practice of on-field debates over penalties.

Phil Babb makes an insightful point at 2:54. Every time a teammate questions the person about to take the penalty, you chip away at their confidence.

At 7:27, Sidwell makes a sideways criticism of Lampard.
Now we have a 9 minute segment on Sky Sports News dedicated specifically to the Chelsea penalty incident.

Bloody media. Brushing it under the carpet. So unfair on Manchester United.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
When I was 34 I was asked to play a match for a local side on a Sunday. This was an adult league but the team was made up of players that had been together since under 14. I was assistant Manager with them for a few seasons.

Anyway i was asked to fill in one day as they had a few lads missing.
We were awarded a penalty about 25 mins in. I trotted up from CB and took the ball off the striker. Im taking this I said. Big argument.
I won. Absolutely smashed the peno..... high high into the sky.
They didn't pass to me for the rest of the game. I was hooked at about 65mins for the skinny crap fella.
Never asked back. :nono:

Let the assigned player take it

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
When I was 34 I was asked to play a match for a local side on a Sunday. This was an adult league but the team was made up of players that had been together since under 14. I was assistant Manager with them for a few seasons.

We were awarded a penalty about 25 mins in. I trotted up from CB and took the ball off the striker. Im taking this I said. Big argument.
They didn't pass to me for the rest of the game. I was hooked at about 65mins for the skinny crap fella.

:lol:

You deserve that for trying to be Billy big bollocks

LVGSdive

Did David Moyes try signing you after that?

Amarsdd

Now we have a 9 minute segment on Sky Sports News dedicated specifically to the Chelsea penalty incident.

Bloody media. Brushing it under the carpet. So unfair on Manchester United.
I think you are missing the point. The main point of annoyance for everyone is that the coverage of our penalty miss was used to directly criticize Rashford for not being authoritative, Pogba for being selfish and Ole for being weak and having no control over his players. In that video or other coverage of the Chelsea penalty was about the event itself and not the criticism of the individuals involved (Barkley, Willian, Jorginho and Lampard) even if that lost them the game. The biggest criticism you saw on that video was "Barkley was confident, maybe overconfident". Personally, I do not care about how much they cover that or criticize that, its just the hypocrisy which is annoying.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
It wasn't even a penalty.

Never in the field of football has so much guff been written by so many over so little.

Suedesi

Interestingly, Jorginho took the next penalty with Barkley on the field, blowing Fat Frank's theory that Barkley is the designated pen taker out of the water.

El Zoido

Interestingly, Jorginho took the next penalty with Barkley on the field, blowing Fat Frank's theory that Barkley is the designated pen taker out of the water.
It was always bs, we all knew it. It’s pathetic how the media reacted to our penalty confusion compared to the reaction to Chelsea’s.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It was always bs, we all knew it. It’s pathetic how the media reacted to our penalty confusion compared to the reaction to Chelsea’s.
Chelsea didn't have a club legend in the post match coverage slagging the players and club off. That combined with the fact (that seems to be conveniently forgotten on here whenever this sort of comparison happens) that Man United are a far bigger club who get far more coverage on everything explains the difference in coverage.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Thank Gary Neville for that

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Isn't Jorginho a fantastic penalty taker? Scored majority he's taken for Napoli and Chelsea so seems odd to me he's not the undisputable number one when he's on the pitch.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Isn't Jorginho a fantastic penalty taker? Scored majority he's taken for Napoli and Chelsea so seems odd to me he's not the undisputable number one when he's on the pitch.
He's got one of the best records in Europe and is Chelsea's best leader on the pitch so it makes perfect sense. It seems increasingly clear at this point that Barkley went rogue, the players reacted with a mixture of skepticism and confusion, and Lampard tried to protect Barkley after the fact.

Patchbeard

He's got one of the best records in Europe and is Chelsea's best leader on the pitch so it makes perfect sense. It seems increasingly clear at this point that Barkley went rogue, the players reacted with a mixture of skepticism and confusion, and Lampard tried to protect Barkley after the fact.
From researching pre-season as I'm a fantasy football nerd...Barkley took your pens and by all accounts looked played pretty well (as did Mount), so the general assumption was that he might be a good FF punt due to him also being on pens. Surprised as a Chelsea fan you didn't know this...

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
From researching pre-season as I'm a fantasy football nerd...Barkley took your pens and by all accounts looked played pretty well (as did Mount), so the general assumption was that he might be a good FF punt due to him also being on pens. Surprised as a Chelsea fan you didn't know this...
He took two pens during preseason whilst personnel were in flux. His career record now stands at 3 penalties made from five, with his previous successful penalty happening in February 2016. At this point he should be nowhere near spot kicks.

Furthermore, this is now the second preseason where he's looked decent, yet he's been awful for his entire (meaningful) Chelsea career. Here's hoping he's binned in January once RLC is back.