Chelsea u23 - United u23

Sid234

I dont get this obsession with rating academy/res teams based on team performances or results at their level. I dont think its a accurate assessment of quality of players coming through.

McTominay is a good example of a player that came through the reserves, spending a good part of a season playing up front as a striker since we lacked options and he was our tallest player. He did not stand out there but I think it definitely improved his game and if I remember correctly, we weren't a stand out team that season in the reserves. These squads are not always balanced and have a lot of changes week to week, I think as long we are developing players and enough of them move up the first team, we should be pleased.

NFM

I don't think there has been a time when United didn't follow the same principles with the youths. Its about personal development and getting prepared for first team opportunities. In the 60s I used to watch a lot of 'reserve' games in what was called the 'central league'. Boys against men some of the games. United usually were at or near the top of the league, but in those days it was Liverpool who always put out a much more physically developed team than United.
Occasionally United get a bunch of youth players who are so good individually and collectively they can win competitions without particular physical attributes or serious team tactical training, but its not often these days when certain clubs seem more interested in winning youth comps than player development. That is not to say that City or Chelsea don't have some very good young players, but they prioritise winning more. United and Liverpool seem to both want to win but know a balance is best for getting new first teamers, and both have had some recent good prospects emerge.
Last time United had a bunch of really good lads at the same time, was the last time they won the FA Youth Cup, not a coincidence. Unfortunately the two best lost their way, one because of injury and the 'genius' because he was slightly unhinged.

KevinJoh

So Reece James, Mount, Odoi and Abraham have not been developed for Chelseas first team despite playing over 200 games between them? I give up! You serious? Hudson Odoi has been valued at over 70 million alone by Munich. Can't remember Januzaj being offered the same.
No, I am saying they only got a chance cause Chelsea had ban on signings. As it is weird situation for them, and they never use their own academy players before, I have reason to believe that Mount, Abraham and James would hardly get a chance if they could sign a few players. We will never know I guess, so great for them.

Regarding fee for Hudson Odoi, yes, we had offers for Januzaj from PSG after he made debut and had good games in a row. Not 70, that money was not in the market at the moment, it was 40 if I remember correct (6 years ago it was good money). Of course, he did not continue with performances like that and everything fall apart.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Bit of “beef” between Mengi and Hannibal on social media about this game. Hannibal posted a picture of him being friendly with a Chelsea player which mengi replied to saying being too friendly is why we lost. Hannibal replied saying glad you said WE lost to which mengi said football is a TEAM sport.

It’s like a shit episode of Eastenders...or a good episode depending on your perspective. Neither are training with the first team though - Fish, Pellestri, Elanga and Laird all currently are.

Mickson

Bit of “beef” between Mengi and Hannibal on social media about this game. Hannibal posted a picture of him being friendly with a Chelsea player which mengi replied to saying being too friendly is why we lost. Hannibal replied saying glad you said WE lost to which mengi said football is a TEAM sport.

It’s like a shit episode of Eastenders...or a good episode depending on your perspective. Neither are training with the first team though - Fish, Pellestri, Elanga and Laird all currently are.
Meh. Such childish behavior, they act like they are 17! Grow up.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
To be honest, if Mengi had a problem with Hannibal's post, I don't think that's how to air it.

Trequarista10

Part of me thinks this is silly behaviour which shouldn't be done publicly on social media, they'll get an extra PR lesson this week.

Part of me thinks that social media is so prominent in the lives of the new generation that this will eventually become the norm. Critical comments on Instagram will be hailed as strong leadership.

voyasvirta

Let's not create a story from a nothing situation. No good comes from analyzing social media activities of 17-18 year old kids.