Television Chernobyl (HBO/Sky drama series)

dr.twinny

New docudrama miniseries about the Chernobyl disaster in the Ukraine that's due to air next month on both HBO and Sky. Trailer looks fecking epic with that soundtrack.

Внимание! Внимание! :nervous:

Member 115509

Like the look of this, Jared Harris and Adam Nagaitis are both in this, they were the stars of the show in The Terror, so hopefully that's a good sign.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
One of the most interesting events in modern history. I'll definitely be checking this out.

dr.twinny

Like the look of this, Jared Harris and Adam Nagaitis are both in this, they were the stars of the show in The Terror, so hopefully that's a good sign.
Yeah The Terror was really good, so I'm hoping this will be even better than that.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Posted the trailer in the "recommend me a TV show" thread, looks really good and it's HBO so fingers crossed.

Keefy18

Looking forward to this, will defo be watching it the coming week! :)

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Looking forward to this. It's got Jared Harris, famous for Resident Evil 2 as you all know, Emily Watson (Crusade in Jeans), Stella Skarsgard (Mama Mia) and many others. The cast listing is a little vague on who is playing the Stalker though, but I'm sure whoever they've got is decent.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
What are the dragons like?

Big Andy

Bloke
I'm really interested in this, as I've worked on nuclear facilities before, so it's something that I've got a bit of knowledge on.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Ablaze (by Piers Paul Read) is an excellent nonfiction book for anyone interested in the disaster.

marktan

Hagadblawwaa Monsteeerrr!

Good to see Lane Price doing well.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Thought the first episode was great. Something else to look forward to for the next month after GoT is done!

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Absolutely fantastic first episode. Great setting and tone. Great acting.

Close to my heart as well as my grandad was a ‘liquidator’ when the disaster struck. As were many men from Soviet Union to be fair.

spwd

What are the dragons like?

:lol:

Already got ep 1 but I think I'm gonna do the same and binge watch it like I did with The Terror.

Was thinking of watching Chernobyl but didn’t bother, will give it a look based on the reviews in here.

As for The Terror , I thought it was way way too slow and gave up on it, what actually happened in the end?
Don’t forget to spoiler it.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
First epi was amazing and the acting was top class.
Definitely concur, but the intro of that Communist bureaucrat who incorrectly describes the amount of radiation that the first responders would be receiving looks as though the whole dramatic element will even be increased. That actor is Stellan Skarsgård, someone who I have considered as an elite actor for decades, especially since Timecode, a movie with four different storylines all shot in one take & played simultaneously in a screen cut into four sections. It was impressive.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Ablaze (by Piers Paul Read) is an excellent nonfiction book for anyone interested in the disaster.
When was that written, soon after or later on? Both timeframes would definitely have different impacts on the book, even a nonfiction one.

Paxi

It’s bloody scary to think how close Europe was to becoming a nuclear wasteland.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It’s bloody scary to think how close Europe was to becoming a nuclear wasteland.
What is even scarier is that the Soviets most likely would not have disclosed the true nature & scope of the disaster if not for the Swedes having detected very high amounts of radiation in the atmosphere & none of their plants were the culprit. They initially asked the Soviets about any issues they were having, the Soviets denied any plant issues. The Soviets also buried a small story about a fire at a nuclear facility deep inside Pravda to satisfy disclosure. It was only when the Swedes threatened to go to the IAEA a few days after the disaster did the Soviets start to come clean.

If the winds didn’t take the radiation over Sweden but kept it mostly over Warsaw Pact countries, who knows when the truth would have come out. It would have been after 1991 when the facts would have started to come out en masse, but I think even the new Russian government would have tried to resist full disclosure due to embarrassment & fear of having to pay reparations.

The US military was aware of the disaster two days after it occurred due to Keyhole satellite imaging, but we didn’t want to be the first accusers lest we would have had to disclose operational ability of the KH-11 satellites, our elite spy satellites at the time. We did not want to divulge the fact that a KH-11 could determine the brand of a golf ball from outer space, but we would have had to if we submitted evidentiary documents to the IAEA, UN, etc.

Thankfully, the Swedes were the detectives who quickly solved the case & saved potentially hundreds of thousands of lives I. Europe.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
When was that written, soon after or later on? Both timeframes would definitely have different impacts on the book, even a nonfiction one.
1993, according to Wikipedia.

Paxi

I haven't finished the Sopranos yet. Is this any good?
Only one episode out so far but I haven’t seen any negative reviews about it all. From critics or from posters here.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The US military was aware of the disaster two days after it occurred due to Keyhole satellite imaging, but we didn’t want to be the first accusers lest we would have had to disclose operational ability of the KH-11 satellites, our elite spy satellites at the time. We did not want to divulge the fact that a KH-11 could determine the brand of a golf ball from outer space, but we would have had to if we submitted evidentiary documents to the IAEA, UN, etc.
So it could've been a Coventry type thing, where we knew something was coming but did not want to divulge our sources?