Chess discussions

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
If "everyone" already believes that he's a cheater, who can't handle an interview, it's not going to change by dodging them. On the other hand he might change some minds if he actually showed sound analysis post match.
Why "everyone"? I didn't say that.
As for the bolded, my point cuts both ways. Anyone who thinks he doesn't cheat or has its mind changed based on a sound post match analysis is clueless as well. He has done that multiple times before, not that it makes a difference.
Either way, he just gave a normal interview after the Leinier draw which was far less entertaining, I'd rather have more Chess speaks for itself lines than boring Berlin variations.

Abraxas

The 2500 playing as a 2700 idea seems a bit fanciful to me. I think that reading is way too extreme to be likely. Simply because the chance he's cheating in all games, including all the games in the last few events is quite low. The games don't read that way and he's under scrutiny yet he can play with the top players.

I find it more likely his current rating is in the 2650 range give or take if he did indeed cheat OTB. This doesn't require him to be hooked up to Stockfish constantly for the past few years and it allows his recent play where cheating is less probable to be explainable.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Why "everyone"? I didn't say that.
As for the bolded, my point cuts both ways. Anyone who thinks he doesn't cheat or has its mind changed based on a sound post match analysis is clueless as well. He has done that multiple times before, not that it makes a difference.
Either way, he just gave a normal interview after the Leinier draw which was far less entertaining, I'd rather have more Chess speaks for itself lines than boring Berlin variations.
This isn't 4chan or Twitch chat though, we don't need drama we just need a respectful discussion post game for everyone watching, we don't tune in to the Chess championships for WWE story line drama.

NM

This isn't 4chan or Twitch chat though, we don't need drama we just need a respectful discussion post game for everyone watching, we don't tune in to the Chess championships for WWE story line drama.
Agree but sounds like some guys who dont' understand chess but love drama seem to be trying to say it's good for chess. Morons.

Zarlak

Agree but sounds like some guys who dont' understand chess but love drama seem to be trying to say it's good for chess. Morons.
The SLCC live stream is now just flooded with 12 year old Twitch chat kids who didn't know Hans Niemann existed until a month ago spamming 'daddy Hans greatest ever' over and over. I understand what the stiffs in Happy Gilmore were annoyed about now.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
So, statistically the fastest rising prodigy of all time is WDDLDLL since stricter anti cheat measures were implemented and sits 13th of 14 in the championship. Chess speaks for itself.
I'm as inclined as anyone to believe that Hans M Niemann - the M stands for "maybe he's occasionally better than Magnus" - has cheated not just online. But as funny as post streaming delay streak and getting crushed by some 2650 after beating Magnus with black looks, it also coincides with him being at the center of some drama that raised peak levels of global interest by chess standards.
So I think we will have to wait for it to continue at least another two or three tourneys, before it becomes significant.

But looking at how this unfolded he will probably crush some obscure open that can't afford extra tight security next and we'll be back to square one. :lol:

paulscholes18

So, statistically the fastest rising prodigy of all time is WDDLDLL since stricter anti cheat measures were implemented and sits 13th of 14 in the championship. Chess speaks for itself.
How that comment has come back to bite him, in the tournament he made it he finished bottom on 0 points.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
At this point I'm just waiting for Magnus to drop this quote at the end of the tournament.

Zarlak

At this point I'm just waiting for Magnus to drop this quote at the end of the tournament.
That would be funny. Another draw today and another garbage analysis 'I don't remember' 'I'm not familiar' 'I don't remember properly this line', statistically the fastest rising chess player of all time at work with 1700 elo analysis.

Kasper

Supports
After two good draws Hans wins today and is back at embracing his villain role, giving flawless interviews:drool:

Abraxas

He's only slightly underperforming his rating after that win.

Fabi has shown his class in this tournament after a poor couple of years.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
The Giri match with the fellas who name i can't remember was a lot of fun. So many sacrifices.

Kasper

Supports
No idea about the habits of American law speak but this lawsuit has parts that sound like written by a 15 year old playing mock trial in school.
Entertaining stuff.

prateik

I have no legal knowledge.. but I wouldnt be surprised if he had a case.. He was accused of cheating OTB with zero evidence.. His reputation has been tarnished.. All because he beat the great Magnus with black pieces.. how fecking dare he.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Wish Fischer chess was the main championship - way more interesting

Zarlak

I have no legal knowledge.. but I wouldnt be surprised if he had a case.. He was accused of cheating OTB with zero evidence.. His reputation has been tarnished.. All because he beat the great Magnus with black pieces.. how fecking dare he.
He doesn't have a case, he's going to get laughed out. To prove defamation you have to show things that just haven't happened here - like the statement being presented as fact when it never has been, only suspicions. Hikaru in his streams has always prefaced everything with can't say either way etc, you also have to show that the other person making the statement knew that it was false which is not the case. The whole lawsuit is a joke talking about how his career has been damaged. He's ranked 41 in the world, he didn't have a reputation before this to be tarnished and the big tournaments take like 14 people, he's not getting invited to the biggest tournaments on merit it's not like he has loss of earnings, if he worked his way up to 10th in the world and wasn't getting invited to elite tournaments because of this then he'd maybe have a semblance of a point.

Last edited:

NotThatSoph

Not related to chess, and at most tangentially to the drama, but it's funny, so. Article in Cyclingtips: CHESS OUTCAST HANS NIEMANN SAYS HE WAS A TOP CYCLIST. WAS HE REALLY?

Apparently Niemann has been telling a story about how he was a top cyclist as a kid. He did cycling while living in the Netherlands as a kid, continued for a bit after moving back to the US, and last year he told Chess Life magazine that he was rated third nationally in his age group. Cyclingtips has looked into this claim. There's not much to go on, because not a lot of records are kept for little kids and most of them don't race for results no matter their talent.

He competed in the Dutch 2012 national championships, coming 25th out of 35, one minute behind the winner in a 12:30 race. Back in the US in 2013, he did the Northern California Nevada Cycling Association district track championships, finishing last out of five riders in all six races. He did 24 races in total; zero wins and 8 podium finishes. In those 8 races, only two of them had more than three riders. It's hard to see how he could have possible be ranked third.

The weird thing is, this is when he was 9-10 years old, and it's not like he was directly bad. Why lie about this? It's a fun enough story on its own. To be fair, there is a possibility that there simply weren't other 10 year olds racing for results at the time, which would make it not a lie but still a very weird thing to say.

Last edited:

paulscholes18

After the firsts two rounds, Nakamura 1.5 Nepo 0.5, in the 2nd Nakmura just took a draw from a +4 winning position,

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Nepo is a bottle job.
Tend to agree. Experience suggests black is the play there, and he wasn't even down that much on time. Fischer random is just a much better watch.

Trequarista10

Not related to chess, and at most tangentially to the drama, but it's funny, so. Article in Cyclingtips: CHESS OUTCAST HANS NIEMANN SAYS HE WAS A TOP CYCLIST. WAS HE REALLY?

Apparently Niemann has been telling a story about how he was a top cyclist as a kid. He did cycling while living in the Netherlands as a kid, continued for a bit after moving back to the US, and last year he told Chess Life magazine that he was rated third nationally in his age group. Cyclingtips has looked into this claim. There's not much to go on, because not a lot of records are kept for little kids and most of them don't race for results no matter their talent.

He competed in the Dutch 2012 national championships, coming 25th out of 35, one minute behind the winner in a 12:30 race. Back in the US in 2013, he did the Northern California Nevada Cycling Association district track championships, finishing last out of five riders in all six races. He did 24 races in total; zero wins and 8 podium finishes. In those 8 races, only two of them had more than three riders. It's hard to see how he could have possible be ranked third.

The weird thing is, this is when he was 9-10 years old, and it's not like he was directly bad. Why lie about this? It's a fun enough story on its own. To be fair, there is a possibility that there simply weren't other 10 year olds racing for results at the time, which would make it not a lie but still a very weird thing to say.
I watched a couple podcasts he did and I picked up that he was a bullshitter. He couldn't answer straight forward questions like "can you describe what your preparation involves doing" without sounding kinda suspect, and without throwing in random stuff to try and make himself look good (like claiming to go to the gym an unfathomably large amount despite visual evidence suggesting he ain't been getting a whole lot of cardio).

He just strikes me as a damaged kid who yearns for respect, and lies to try and impress. Also search for his cringe attempt to ask out Anna Cramling on stream. Warning, it's David Brent levels of cringe.

Zarlak

Some good matches over the next few days in the SCC.

Round of 16Dec 68:00 AM17:00Magnus Carlsen vs. Gukesh D
Round of 16Dec 78:00 AM17:00Nihal Sarin vs. Anish Giri
Round of 16Dec 86:00 AM15:00Wesley So vs. Nodirbek Abdusattorov
Round of 16Dec 810:00 AM19:00Hikaru Nakamura vs. David Paravyan

paulscholes18

Some good matches over the next few days in the SCC.

Round of 16Dec 68:00 AM17:00Magnus Carlsen vs. Gukesh D
Round of 16Dec 78:00 AM17:00Nihal Sarin vs. Anish Giri
Round of 16Dec 86:00 AM15:00Wesley So vs. Nodirbek Abdusattorov
Round of 16Dec 810:00 AM19:00Hikaru Nakamura vs. David Paravyan
Is the right side UK time?