2018 B: Won
2019 R: Won
2019 B: Won
2021 R: 0 pts behind
2021 B: 1.5 pts behind :eek::eek:
2022 R: Won
2022 B: Won

(Not held in 2020)

Simply miles ahead of the rest. The (joint) highest points total in 12 of 16 tournaments, and just half a point behind in two more.

Last edited:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
His opponent equalized the clock. He didn't want the arbiters to start (he should have taken the advantage IMO)
Yeah because he lost the plot and played the following 10 moves at tortoise speed. If he was going to deliberately equalise the clock he would've done it straight away.

Abraxas

Simply mental the consistency Magnus has. You're really not supposed to win the world Rapid and Blitz this often against such a large and strong field, even if you are the best on paper. To use a cringy American term, he must be one of the most clutch sportsman ever.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Abdusattorov is seemingly instoppable. He is on his way to reach the top of Chess world in classical and shorter formats.

paulscholes18

The final of the Airthings masters, Nakamura vs Carlsen, the GOAT vs the 5 time world champ is about to start

paulscholes18

What a blunder by Wesley So to gift Hikaru the American Cup, thought he was getting a free pawn instead got his Queen trapped

JPRouve

Scout
It's so strange to see Kramnik casually competing in a high level tournament on his phone.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Just got my highest ever rating in blitz

Last time I broke through a rating barrier I then dropped 100 points within 10 games. Going to just sit on it for a while.

Ultimate aim is to gain another 150 elo points I think and then pretty much retire.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Just got my highest ever rating in blitz

Last time I broke through a rating barrier I then dropped 100 points within 10 games. Going to just sit on it for a while.

Ultimate aim is to gain another 150 elo points I think and then pretty much retire.
Well done. Don't get tilted when you plummet

rcoobc

Well done. Don't get tilted when you plummet
Might just retire on my new high :lol:

To be fair, I've definitely improved. My end game is a lot better, my middle game is a bit better, and my openings are... well... Okay they're not amazing as I don't have a great memory but they've actually improved a bit too.

I think biggest area if improvement is I'm noticing opportunities to create winning situations a lot easier, and I'm noticing opportunities for the opponent to create opportunities quicker too. Not always as quick as I should, but sometimes if he doesn't capitalise straight away I can defend against it before he can enact it.

I do think I've got a bit lucky in the last few games though so will probably fall back down.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Thought this thread was bumped for the World Championships. Shows what an uninspiring event it has become now :lol:

rcoobc

Thought this thread was bumped for the World Championships. Shows what an uninspiring event it has become now :lol:
Even if Carlsen had participated, are the World Championships that exciting?

If the reigning world Champion had to go through the (rename it) challengers tournament it would be more interesting. It's like Brazil not having to compete in the next World Cup until the final.

altodevil

I'm all for Fischer chess now, when it comes to watching tournaments.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Carlsen refusing to participate is obviously the problem. Everyone knows/assumes that he'd beat either candidate, so it's a bit like watching the match for third place at a football world cup, only it's get played as a best 5 or something. But having said that, today's game was pretty spectacular. If you're interested in the chess and not just the names it has been a good match so far and today's result promises to make the following matches (more) entertaining as well. Let's just hope the psychological damage hasn't been to much today.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Based on some of his comments Ding doesn't seem to be in a particularly good headspace going into this. Gonna be tough for him to turn it around methinks.

NM

FIDE is becoming irrelevant. Chess.com is going to run the chess world, and the sad thing is I don't even know if that's better...

altodevil

FIDE is becoming irrelevant. Chess.com is going to run the chess world, and the sad thing is I don't even know if that's better...
It's not. It might be worse.

altodevil

Carlsen refusing to participate is obviously the problem. Everyone knows/assumes that he'd beat either candidate, so it's a bit like watching the match for third place at a football world cup, only it's get played as a best 5 or something. But having said that, today's game was pretty spectacular. If you're interested in the chess and not just the names it has been a good match so far and today's result promises to make the following matches (more) entertaining as well. Let's just hope the psychological damage hasn't been to much today.
I'm not sure I do - Carlsen has been far from perfect recently, and the challengers would obviously have much greater motivation when prepping.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I'm slightly amazed how quickly they make certain moves today, despite this being such a unbalanced position.

I'm not sure I do - Carlsen has been far from perfect recently, and the challengers would obviously have much greater motivation when prepping.
If Carlsen was playing this he'd have spent the last year completely differently, too. I don't know if he would or wouldn't be in top shape, but I don't think his recent results have any meaning in this hypothetical scenario.

edit:
just as I posted this Nepo blundered a tactic :lol:

altodevil

I'm slightly amazed how quickly they make certain moves today, despite this being such a unbalanced position.

If Carlsen was playing this he'd have spent the last year completely differently, too. I don't know if he would or wouldn't be in top shape, but I don't think his recent results have any meaning in this hypothetical scenario.

edit:
just as I posted this Nepo blundered a tactic :lol:
Yep that was brutal

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I'm beginning to think that Carlsen had a similar effect to Guardiola's Barca, where he made everything boring, not by playing "boring" chess himself, but by scaring his opponents into sucking the excitement out of the game(s). The games seem so much more interesting this time around.

JPRouve

Scout
I'm beginning to think that Carlsen had a similar effect to Guardiola's Barca, where he made everything boring, not by playing "boring" chess himself, but by scaring his opponents into sucking the excitement out of the game(s). The games seem so much more interesting this time around.
We found Anish Giri's caf account! :lol:

But seriously, yes. Carlsen is very entertaining online in short time controls especially when he plays against Hikaru otherwise he is too theoretically sound, even when he makes a mistakes he knows how to guarantee a draw, he is also so good at endgames that the rest of the game doesn't matter, he doesn't have to take risks or try to surprise his opponent.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I wonder how much Nepo's style affects Ding, who has to use all his time to find his moves (and kind of couldn't find any for a while) and then Nepo returns to the board and pretty much instantly plays an engine-level move after the quickest of confirmation calculations. It perhaps also goes to show his personal growth, since against Carlsen he kind of imploded, whereas now he's still got the confidence to play like this.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't think that it affects anyone. Everyone implodes against Carlsen because he doesn't go away, he plays the best moves over and over and then crushes you in pretty much any endgame scenario.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I don't think that it affects anyone. Everyone implodes against Carlsen because he doesn't go away, he plays the best moves over and over and then crushes you in pretty much any endgame scenario.
What I mean is that from what I remember Nepo blundered a game away against Carlsen and then also blundered horribly in the following games, whereas here he had a terrible blunder against Ding last game, but now he's following it up with an impressive performance, where he just completely outplayed Ding, without much thinking.