Chess discussions

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster

pillory

Hammer has been in the confessional.

The computers are less optimistic, but his attack certainly looks quite scary.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Un-believable.

Topalov should be thanking his lucky stars for the full point lead he has right now. He was losing against Magnus and then Magnus lost on time, and now this..

pillory

Apparently Hammer had a brainfart and replied to 73...Bb8, the move he was expecting, instead of Topalov's actual 73...Ke7.

pillory

Topalov is going to win again, isn't he? Grischuk will be a piece down very soon (with some compensation, though), and he is of course short on time as well.

pillory

Interesting development in Anand's game. The computers thought it was dead equal, then realised he had a big advantage once he played 21. g5.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Interesting development in Anand's game. The computers thought it was dead equal, then realised he had a big advantage once he played 21. g5.
Yeah noticed that too. Incredible.

Anand is really a legend. He's 45 (and from a completely different generation), but he's now back to number 3 in the world and still bossing all those "computer geniuses"!

And talking about "old", the other old guy isn't doing that bad now is he?

pillory

Looks like they both decided it was too risky. This means Carlsen will end up with a non-positive score for the first time since 2010 (and for the second time since 2008).

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
And in an unexpected turn of events Topalov lost, and Anand won again, and so the oldest guys in the field will fight it out tomorrow for 1st place. Anand has an uphill task though having to win with the black pieces.

DouLou

Been caught pooping
Is anyone here a fan of chess engine games? I've been an on and off chess player for a long time but I enjoy watching videos of chess engines. This is a really nice one with commentary where Stockfish plays a rook down for 20~ and winning.

pillory

Almost fell off my chair earlier today when I decided to have a look at Navara - Wojtaszek (Biel) and found this position:

Amazingly the white king is perfectly safe up there. The beautifully linear route was Kg1-f2-f3-f4-f5-f6-f7-f8-g8-h8 from move 20 to 30. Navara had been blitzing up to this point, so it's quite clear it was prep, and he went on to win the game.

pillory

Carlsen calls for a new WC format:

In advance of travelling to the US to prepare for the Sinquefield Cup, I felt it important to share with you something I have been thinking about a great deal: the World Championship cycle format.

I want to preface what I’m about to say with the notion that I have great respect and reverence for all the World Champions that have come before me, and for those that have contributed to the professionalization of chess. The Chennai match against V. Anand and our subsequent match in Sochi were both equally powerful and wonderful experiences. I was amazed by the intensity of the match format, as well as the massive interest from both the media and the public. I know people are working diligently to organize the 2014-2016 World Championship cycle, and I very much look forward to the match in November 2016 against the winner of the spring 2016 Candidates tournament.

Despite this, I have, for a long time believed - and voiced publicly - that there should be a new World Championship cycle system, which is both balanced and fair. Those of you who have followed top level chess closely for years will remember that I openly raised the issue of the privileges held by the World Champion on several occasions, prior to qualifying for the match in 2013.

In short, I strongly believe the chess world should evolve to a more just system. What does that look like? I have long thought that moving to an annual knock-out event, similar to the World Cup, would be more equitable. This change would in effect improve the odds of becoming World Champion for nearly every chess player, with the exception of the reigning World Champion, and potentially a few other top players who would no longer be favoured by the current format. Creating regional qualifying events combined with rating spots, the participation of all the top players in the world and the undisputed World Championship title at stake, I truly believe this would make the World Championship cycle more accessible to everyone.

In conclusion, I strongly recommend FIDE look into modernizing the World Championship cycle format.

https://www.facebook.com/magnuschess/posts/716100188495958

pillory

Hello again. The world rapid (and soon blitz) championship has started, and after day one Karjakin leads with 4.5/5, half a point ahead of Carlsen and a zillion other players. Sadly Nakamura, Caruana and So aren't there because they're busy with Millionaire Chess, which is quite moronic scheduling. It's not a proper short-time-control world championship if Nakamura isn't in it, and Caruana is 3rd in the rapid ratings. The good news is there are world-class players in action almost around the clock because of the time difference between Berlin and Las Vegas and Millionaire Chess' two rounds a day.

pillory

Did you catch the World Cup, btw? It was amazing until the final, which was also amazing in a trainwrecky sort of way.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Did you catch the World Cup, btw? It was amazing until the final, which was also amazing in a trainwrecky sort of way.
I definitely caught the world cup, but missed this post. :(

A bit late but, the final... :lol: I was following the results of the games at work and couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Anyway, too late for that now, the candidates! Not that much less crazy. Karjakin currently has a big advantage. Tomorrow's round will be decisive. Caruana needs to do something, otherwise he'll probably have to beat Karjakin with black on the last day.

And Anand... What a disappointment. Can we replay his games with black please?

With Anand out of the picture, I hope Caruana pulls it off now. Karjakin won't mount a real challenge for Carlsen.

pillory

Anand's chances are as you say very slim, but he could still have a big say on the last day because Karjakin would win a tiebreak against Caruana, but Caruana would win the tiebreak between the three of them. So if everyone draws tomorrow, Karjakin and Caruana won't know what result they need in their game until they see where Svidler-Anand is going. Of course, in that scenario it would be impossible for Anand to win the tournament, so it's hard to see him beating Svidler, especially considering his form with black.

On the other hand, if Anand beats the immovable object tomorrow while Karjakin and Caruana draw, the last round will be crazy. Breakdown:

Caruana wins if he:
- beats Karjakin
- draws Karjakin while Anand also draws.

Anand wins if he:
- beats Svidler and Karjakin doesn't lose

Karjakin wins if he:
- beats C and Anand doesn't win
- draws C and Anand loses

Which means they'd all need to go all out for the win.

Caruana has had a strange tournament. Feels like he's saved really bad positions or wasted really good ones in almost all of his games.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Anand's chances are as you say very slim, but he could still have a big say on the last day because Karjakin would win a tiebreak against Caruana, but Caruana would win the tiebreak between the three of them. So if everyone draws tomorrow, Karjakin and Caruana won't know what result they need in their game until they see where Svidler-Anand is going. Of course, in that scenario it would be impossible for Anand to win the tournament, so it's hard to see him beating Svidler, especially considering his form with black.

On the other hand, if Anand beats the immovable object tomorrow while Karjakin and Caruana draw, the last round will be crazy. Breakdown:

Caruana wins if he:
- beats Karjakin
- draws Karjakin while Anand also draws.

Anand wins if he:
- beats Svidler and Karjakin doesn't lose

Karjakin wins if he:
- beats C and Anand doesn't win
- draws C and Anand loses

Which means they'd all need to go all out for the win.

Caruana has had a strange tournament. Feels like he's saved really bad positions or wasted really good ones in almost all of his games.
:lol: That's actually the main reason why I thought Anand is out and Karjakin has a good chance now.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Yup, Nakamura lost to both Caruana and Karjakin.

Both Caruana and Karjakin are going for it today, but only Caruana managed to get a better position. Karjakin with a double edged position, he will need a blunder from Aronian to win, but he could very easily lose as well.

Anand vs Giri is turning into a nice game, with Giri with the advantage right now. Will Giri refuse the draw and settle for a win?

lonelyred

Anand v Giri has just ended in a draw.

Karjakin is a piece down (for two pawns and some drawing chances against Aronian), Caruana is a pawn up with good winning chances in the endgame against Svidler. Now, if both Caruana and Aronian win today, Karjakin will still better Caruana on tiebreak if he beats him with white tomorrow (better head to head). However, both Aronian and Anand will then have a chance to catch them (if they beat Nakamura and Svidler respectively in the last round). So there's a pretty realistic possibility of a four-way tie in the end (all four players on +2).

Or am I wrong?

Last edited:

lonelyred

So Karjakin needs to make a draw today if he wants to win the tournament - unless both Aronian and Anand waste their opportunities tomorrow - which can't be completely ruled out of course (as we know from various examples in the past).

pillory

So the arbiter says Karjakin would win the tiebreak with Caruana and Anand (if K and C draw today and tomorrow, and A beats Svidler), but Caruana would win that tiebreak according to what seems to be the actual rules.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster

So the arbiter says Karjakin would win the tiebreak with Caruana and Anand (if K and C draw today and tomorrow, and A beats Svidler), but Caruana would win that tiebreak according to what seems to be the actual rules.
So it's simple. Karjakin needs a draw with white tomorrow to win the tournament, Caruana will need to win with black to win the tournament, everybody else is out.

lonelyred

Oh dear, what happens now? 50-move draw even though Caruana is winning?
That doesn't matter - it looked like Svidler played final few moves just to make sure he's not checkmated within 50 anyway.

Edit: And now he just said so in the press conference: "At this point I stopped looking at the board and started looking at the score-sheet." :lol:

Last edited: