Chief of scouting

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Back in april it was announced that Lawlor and Bout, our chief scout and head of global scouting, had left Man Utd. Since then there has been rumours that we were looking for a new model, and we were linked to figures like Edwards (former Liverpool) and Lee Dykes (at Brentford).

Six months later there appears to be few updates? A few years ago I would have been confident that the club was working on something. But I’m really not convinced that is the case.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Apparently we're interested in Matt Hobbs at Wolves for the role. Steve Brown is head of recruitment but described more as a manager type.

Skills

Snitch
I hope we keep it under wraps. Back office roles shouldn't be in the media - especially our fans are weird obsessives, who jump to stupidly wrong conclusions.

Its not as if anyone here will be in any position to judge the credentials/influence and exact responsibility of someone in that kind of role.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I hope we keep it under wraps. Back office roles shouldn't be in the media - especially our fans are weird obsessives, who jump to stupidly wrong conclusions.
I like this angle.

But at the same time, we have looked so silly recently. Somehow we ended up «letting go» of Lawlor and Bout in april. Few months prior to the transfer window opening. Without having a plan for how to replace them. Just dont fill you with confidence.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
if the role basically consists of watching strange men and deciding if you should, then i think i’m the most qualified.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Apparently we're interested in Matt Hobbs at Wolves for the role. Steve Brown is head of recruitment but described more as a manager type.
Surely just promote our lead scout in Portugal/hire Jorge Mendez then?

if the role basically consists of watching strange men and deciding if you should, then i think i’m the most qualified.
:lol:

Skills

Snitch
I like this angle.

But at the same time, we have looked so silly recently. Somehow we ended up «letting go» of Lawlor and Bout in april. Few months prior to the transfer window opening. Without having a plan for how to replace them. Just dont fill you with confidence.
Yeah we have but at the same time, we could've had an amazing scouting department but if the club senior hierarchy is set on making boneheaded decisions - what can they do?

To me it's poor form to be shitting on people in these back office roles, who don't have a media voice so can't defend themselves and then just assume they're doing a shit job because the clubs performing poorly.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Back in april it was announced that Lawlor and Bout, our chief scout and head of global scouting, had left Man Utd. Since then there has been rumours that we were looking for a new model, and we were linked to figures like Edwards (former Liverpool) and Lee Dykes (at Brentford).

Six months later there appears to be few updates? A few years ago I would have been confident that the club was working on something. But I’m really not convinced that is the case.
Lawlor and Bout have been replaced by Simon Wells and Jose Mayorga. I'm assuming Wells has taken on the role of Lawlor and Jose Mayorga the role of Marcel Bout in a head of recruitment capacity. Mayorga if I'm not mistaken is a Argentine national who was the club's head of scouting in South America before he replaced the out-going scouts in April.

So the set-up at the moment is led by Wells and Mayorga from a recruitment/scouting level before the Technical Chief scout Mick Court and his team get involved with Mayorga and Wells to ratify the final short list via their video analysis department.

@Bastian

Steve Brown who is the head of recruitment operations, doesn't get involved with the actual scouting of players but is there to make sure the logistics side of the operation runs smoothly where scouts on the ground are able to get to assigned destinations comfortably. So the ticketing and travel for the scouts on the ground is his job. Brown is basically the guy who is the scouting coordinator.

We also have Dominic Jordan in a head of data science role, who I assume will have a team of data scientists working with him to help back up the performance and scouting departments at the club. The information regarding him and his team is quite vague at the moment, but it was reported about him being involved in the recruitment process in the summer window.

The club might add to the recruitment department in the coming months but at the moment the above information is accurate from what I've gleaned.

Last edited:

croadyman

We need to get scouting team right so we don't miss out on the next top talent to emerge