Music Childish Gambino (Donald Glover)

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Redbone and Me & Your Mamma are really great, the rest are a bit middling, but excusable considering it's a new genre for him. Never really was a fan of his rapping, but always been impressed with his versatility. He's a bit of a wunderkind.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
This guy is a genius. His show Atlanta and that Redbone song show his brilliance.

That 'so into you' cover was shit though.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I've tried to like the Tamia version but I just love the Fabolous/Ashanti version more, maybe because I heard it first.
I do like the fabulous/ashanti version also.

Have you heard the fabulous/tamia version?

Too many versions!

Eriku

I recently decided that I had to give this guy a fair shot, and that I would listen to an album all the way through. Had a pop at "Because the Internet". Had to listen to it twice in a row, mind straight up blown. With really good headphones on, you can tell that there's some reaaaal subtle shit with the bass and the general ambient noise.

Dude's got a midas touch, how the feck does one guy have so many talents?

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
I prefer his acting to his music but his music has improved so much since Camp so I'm excited to see where he goes next.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
No idea why I never bothered listening to this guy before, perhaps because of a subconscious idea that actor turned rapper wouldn't be any good, but he popped up on Google Play Music so I gave "Because The Internet" a listen and absolutely love it.

Added his other stuff to my list to check out later.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
No idea why I never bothered listening to this guy before, perhaps because of a subconscious idea that actor turned rapper wouldn't be any good, but he popped up on Google Play Music so I gave "Because The Internet" a listen and absolutely love it.

Added his other stuff to my list to check out later.
His newest album (Awaken, my love!) is fantastic, more of an R&B and Soul one, definitely worth a listen!

Incredibly talented man, is Donald. Atlanta is probably the best comedy of the last few years too.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Got tickets to see him in Toronto in Sept. :D

Mockney

Dropped this in the middle of hosting SNL

Where he also dropped a new track

Whilst just generally being funny

He's currently the genius Kanye West thinks he is.

Sweet Square

Not to derail the thread but 808 & heartbreak is one of the best albums of past 20 odd years(Not to forget his other classic albums) and influenced a whole range of people, just because Kanye has unfortunately had a mental break down in public doesn't mean all his music is suddenly rubbish.
He is stupidly talented.
And like he's not annoying at out which you would have thought is a pretty impossible thing to do.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He'll be lucky to end with a discog half as good as Kanye's. And I'm a big Bino fan.

Mockney

Not to derail the thread but 808 & heartbreak is one of the best albums of past 20 odd years(Not to forget his other classic albums) and influenced a whole range of people, just because Kanye has unfortunately had a mental break down in public doesn't mean all his music is suddenly rubbish.
He's a GOAT tier Hip Hop producer (and producer in general) undoubtedly, possibly the GOAT, but also one that uses 10-20 guest producers on his tracks. He's great, but he's also no Quincy Jones. He's a middling rapper and a rubbish fashion designer to boot. Part of his breakdown is due to his utter conviction he's some uniquely important "genius", never being told he's not a uniquely important genius, and believing that this "genius" applies to all aspects of his life and work, and demands to be listened to.

Glover on the other hand can genuinely be called a unique polymathic talent, operating at a ridiculously high level across multiple forms.

Obviously he's not specifically the producer Kanye is (nor been doing it for nearly as long - plus he uses Producers as well) but currently (at least since Atlanta & Awaken My Love came out) he's begun proving he’s the all round creative powerhouse Kanye seems to think he is, says he is, but has never really demonstrated he is. Outside of making some truly horrible shoes.

IMHO, of course.

He'll be lucky to end with a discog half as good as Kanye's. And I'm a big Bino fan.
He'll end it with a lot more writing, directing and acting credits though. And probably make significantly nicer shoes if he ever tries.

It's probably unfair to bring Kanye into this tbf. But it seemed current and relevant. Especially as the new track is kinda Kanye-ish. And certainly the kind of thing Kanye should be doing if he's as important an artist as he thinks he is. And music is a side gig to Glover!

Also this...

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

That This is America song and video are amazing, that first bit with the gun shot then change of tempo is quite shocking His performance in the vid is stellar as well.

I’ve kinda always been aware of who he is but i’d Never really sat down watched anything he had done or listened to anything but I think it was with the song Redbone that really got me. Love it. It’s so good.

Eriku

Man. It might not be high art, but that This is America video and song has some layers to it. When I first heard it doing chores around the house, I couldn’t help but wiggle my booty a bit... checking out the video after and seeing the video totally changed the connotations of the song for me.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Watched it. Video was good, song was trash. People online saying how it's a masterpiece and that he's a genius. Just goes to show how low the bar is these days.

SteveTheRed

Watched it. Video was good, song was trash. People online saying how it's a masterpiece and that he's a genius. Just goes to show how low the bar is these days.
The song is average at best, but the video is brilliant social commentary art.

gza the genius

The song on its own isn't anything special lyrically but I think it sounds great. I also think it was probably written with the video in mind. The song itself is vague and probably could mean just about anything but when paired with the video it's clear what he was trying to do.

Mockney

People aren’t saying he’s a genius just for this. It’s combined with the fact he’s also been an acclaimed TV writer since his college days (he won a Writers Guild Award while on 30 Rock, which he joined while still at NYU) starred in another acclaimed, award winning sitcom (Community) created, wrote, directed and starred in his own acclaimed award winning show (Atlanta) and did stand up, and made hip hop albums, a funk album and now contemporary soul/trap stuff, and is about to play Simba in the new Lion King and Lando in a new Star Wars.

AND has made this video.

So I don’t think the bar is particularly low, really. If he’s not there yet, he’s well on his way. He probably needs to sustain it for a while longer, but if he’s not eligible, I can’t really think of who is?

Last edited:

marktan

I think it's a great video personally. A real social commentary that makes you think, incorporating historical events, gun violence juxtaposed with popular dance, shock, pretentious money lyrics in a ridiculing manner (in my interpretation), all the stuff going on in the background / use of props. I think it's one of those that you understand a bit better if you read about it from someone who's analysed it properly.

Though it's not something that I'd classify as a masterpiece or revolutionary, but it's about as interesting as you could make a video that's 4 minutes long and I'd be all for more videos of its ilk.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
People aren’t saying he’s a genius just for this. It’s combined with the fact he’s also been an acclaimed TV writer since his college days (he won a Writers Guild Award while on 30 Rock, which he joined while still at NYU) starred in another acclaimed, award winning sitcom (Community) created, wrote, directed and starred in his own acclaimed award winning show (Atlanta) and did stand up, and made hip hop albums, a funk album and now contemporary soul/trap stuff, and is about to play Simba in the new Lion King and Lando in a new Star Wars.

AND has made this video.

So I don’t think the bar is particularly low, really. If he’s not there yet, he’s well on his way. He probably needs to sustain it for a while longer, but if he’s not eligible, I can’t really think of who is?

And less than 48 hours after the wokest video in a long time, it's already a meme.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Which is the point of the song.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
It's a great video, but I do think this shows that there's a real lack of awareness around 'art' within music videos, unless it involves an artist that is expected to deliver such themes within their work.

Donald Glover has reached a level where people almost can't criticise him, because he's so talented, and on the one hand it's great - but on the other hand you get lots of snarky comments such as "Gambino is the genius Kanye thinks he is" (even though i'm sure Gambino would probably call Kanye a genius, considering he's called him a prophet & a huge inspiration in the past)
Also - he gets placed on this pedalstal as if he's the first to do it, or what he's doing is so much better than what the others are doing -and it's just not true.

The This is America video comes at an apt time in American Social History where, with the help of social media & representation in media, minorities are expressing their thoughts and pushing boundaries with each project they put out.

Long may it continue personally.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
With that being said, my biggest takeaways from the video;

1 - he looks exactly like Fela Kuti, coupled with the african dances - it actually reminds me of africa, even the uniform the kids are wearing
2 - the church massacre
3 - guns are treated better than the bodies of those he kills
4 - the kids are watching, while being ignorant to what's around them
5 - jim crow pose
6 - cops bring the most chaos in the back
7 - there is no escape
8 - suicide/mental health (someone killed themselves at some point)
9 - abandoned cars (traffic light arrests/killings maybe?)
10 - mass incarceration
11 - get out
12 - black people dance and sing through it all, despite this.

Eriku

It's a great video, but I do think this shows that there's a real lack of awareness around 'art' within music videos, unless it involves an artist that is expected to deliver such themes within their work.

Donald Glover has reached a level where people almost can't criticise him, because he's so talented, and on the one hand it's great - but on the other hand you get lots of snarky comments such as "Gambino is the genius Kanye thinks he is" (even though i'm sure Gambino would probably call Kanye a genius, considering he's called him a prophet & a huge inspiration in the past)
Also - he gets placed on this pedalstal as if he's the first to do it, or what he's doing is so much better than what the others are doing -and it's just not true.

The This is America video comes at an apt time in American Social History where, with the help of social media & representation in media, minorities are expressing their thoughts and pushing boundaries with each project they put out.

Care to mention examples of music videos that have come out in recent years that artfully communicates a message? Genuinely curious, as I’m not really plugged in with regards to music videos these days.

Mockney

Or one by someone whose also concurrently writing, producing and starring in an equally important TV series, whilst casually dabbling in blockbusters on the side?

This is my thing with Glover. He's doing all fecking sorts of shit, and has been for ages now. It's not that he's some cool nouveau thing with a sexy video (though I'm sure he is to many - and tbf, it's only since Atlanta & Awaken that he's really stepped into this tier) If you've ever listened to a Community commentary track, you'd know Dan Harmon has been gushing about him for years.

Here he was last year, basically saying he was already funnier than the stuff they were writing for him, when he was on the show 5 or 6 years go.

Tbf, the Kanye stuff was an unfortunate consequence of timing. Had Kanye not had (another) epic breakdown in the same week, it wouldn't have even come up. As a writer, I consider Glover that before I consider him a musician anyway. Though for my own money, as someone perpetually rankled by Kanye "greatest artist of all time" West and his self promotion, I'd personally never miss an opportunity to get a dig in. ;) And I'm a big fan of his beats. POWER is one of the best beats of this Century fwiw... It's also 80% an old Afromerica tune just sped up slightly (POW! Take that Kanye!)... Okay I'll stop now :nervous:

Last edited:

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Care to mention examples of music videos that have come out in recent years that artfully communicates a message? Genuinely curious, as I’m not really plugged in with regards to music videos these days.
off the top of my head;
The entire Beyoncé - lemonade doc
Pretty much everything from Kendrick’s TPAB
Denzel curry - parents
Solange - cranes in the sky & don’t touch my hair
Everything Janelle Monáe has released recently
Jay z - Marcy me & the story of OJ
Danny Brown - ain’t it funny
NERD - 1000

There’s plenty more.

Music videos have been great in recent years, Glover’s is in the top tier for sure but the over pouring reaction suggests that not enough people are paying attention to what else is out there.

Or one by someone whose also concurrently writing, producing and starring in an equally important TV series, whilst casually dabbling in blockbusters on the side?

This is my thing with Glover. He's doing all fecking sorts of shit, and has been for ages now. It's not that he's some cool nouveau thing with a sexy video (though I'm sure he is to many - and tbf, it's only since Atlanta & Awaken that he's really stepped into this tier) If you've ever listened to a Community commentary track, you'd know Dan Harmon has been gushing about him for years.

Here he was last year, basically saying he was already funnier than the stuff they were writing for him, when he was on the show 5 or 6 years go.

Tbf, the Kanye stuff was an unfortunate consequence of timing. Had Kanye not had (another) epic breakdown in the same week, it wouldn't have even come up. As a writer, I consider Glover that before I consider him a musician anyway. Though for my own money, as someone perpetually rankled by Kanye "greatest artist of all time" West and his self promotion, I'd personally never miss an opportunity to get a dig in. ;) And I'm a big fan of his beats. POWER is one of the best beats of this Century fwiw... It's also 80% an old Afromerica tune just sped up slightly (POW! Take that Kanye!)... Okay I'll stop now :nervous:
He’s absolutely one of the most versatile creatives out there, and very talented at everything he touches. I never said anything else on the contrary.
The problem with versatility is that you very rarely master any one skill
In the case of Gambino I think he’s more skilled in TV than music, we’re all gushing about the music video but very few are gushing about the actual song.

I’m not in the mood to defend Kanye tbh, as a person he’s absolutely lost.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Some of the dance moves he was hitting are eerily similar to the ones from this video: