China coup?

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
This probably bollocks but twitter is full of hints that Xi is under house arrest. Anyone hearing about this ?

Abizzz

This thread is the first I've read about it. Anything known about the leaders of this should it be true?

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Im becoming more convinced its bollocks, expect the thread to be closed at some point, sorry for any false alarm

nimic

something nice
Scout
I'm prepared to get massive amounts of egg on my face, but there's no way Xi is getting couped any time soon. He's more powerful than anyone since Mao, maybe even more than him.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think he's taking China down a dangerous road but I'm sure he's got a few years yet for it to play out. Would be impressively ruthless if somebody does manage to get rid of him before his coronation at the party conference though.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The first rumors I saw when searching Twitter were from almost 24 hours ago, and I didn't see anything about it at all yesterday or this morning. I follow a bunch of foreign affairs/international security people, but it's mostly curated to avoid crazy people. I would have though we'd have heard something more substantial by now if rumors have been flying for almost a full day...

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Xi is powerless, he's just a mascot for the board of people in the communist high table.

He can't even pull a direction without the board approval, at least for the big major issue

He's doing what the board decides. Wih probably a vote of his own when it matters

TwoSheds

Xi is powerless, he's just a mascot for the board of people in the communist high table.

He can't even pull a direction without the board approval, at least for the big major issue

He's doing what the board decides. Wih probably a vote of his own when it matters
What is this based on? Don't think they'd be ripping up their rules to allow him to stay on as leader if he wasn't in charge. Obviously there must be a lot of powerful people in China but I think Xi is the biggest dog.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
What is this based on? Don't think they'd be ripping up their rules to allow him to stay on as leader if he wasn't in charge. Obviously there must be a lot of powerful people in China but I think Xi is the biggest dog.
He is de facto and de jure the biggest dog, but there are numerous lesser dog who can chew him out with their number. If you know how he's selected then you'll know there's a bigger power presiding over the selection of xi himself.

If he tows the line then all is fine. The chinese are one front united afterall. But supposedly he's gone cuckoo and for whatever reason starts to say, wanting China to be democratic or say starts a war against the party's interest he'll be ousted.

He still have people to answer too, maybe not one but collective members

China policy is a 100 years continual grand plan, it doesnt starts or ends with Xi. They all have a blueprint they need to follow, at least the broadstrokes.

It's just like Biden still have to answer to congress who can impeach him if the push comes to shove

TwoSheds

He is de facto and de jure the biggest dog, but there are numerous lesser dog who can chew him out with their number. If you know how he's selected then you'll know there's a bigger power presiding over the selection of xi himself.

If he tows the line then all is fine. The chinese are one front united afterall. But supposedly he's gone cuckoo and for whatever reason starts to say, wanting China to be democratic or say starts a war against the party's interest he'll be ousted.

He still have people to answer too, maybe not one but collective members

China policy is a 100 years continual grand plan, it doesnt starts or ends with Xi. They all have a blueprint they need to follow, at least the broadstrokes.

It's just like Biden still have to answer to congress who can impeach him if the push comes to shove
Officially I'm sure you're right. With the security apparatus in China though I wouldn't be so sure it's not a dictatorship.

Lebo

This is gaining momentum on Twitter. Is it true that China cancelled all flights in and out of Beijing?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
If true, it would have been frontpage news literally everywhere probably.

Carolina Red

Staff
Who’s our resident Coup expert? Was it @Maticmaker or @Marcosdeto
I do believe that was the former - he went long winded on arguing that 2020 was a coup or something like that.
The latter. He vividly recalls seeing people thrown out of helicopters which would make him roughly 75 years old.
He talked about that, but didn’t really go on about it like Maticmaker did about 2020