Chong, Gomes & Greenwood - Who will have the best career?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
These 3 look like they have the biggest chance to compete for a place next season. So let's have a fun discussion. Which one do you think will have the best career at United? Which is the most talented? Discuss.

Perhaps a thread to look back on in a few years like the Rooney vs Ronaldo ones.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I know you say it’s ‘fun’, and I know it’s only Redcafe and not the national news - but I don’t think it’s a healthy slant to take on a thread on all three of them. I mean, a thread to discuss them, cool, but to set off a 3 way battle and comparison will just deteriorate to ‘Gomes camp’ vs ‘Greenwood camp’ etc. That said, any topic will soon descend to that anyway.

We have had Nani bs Valencia, Rooney vs Ronaldo, Rashford vs Martial on here over the years. Same team and all that.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I know you say it’s ‘fun’, and I know it’s only Redcafe and not the national news - but I don’t think it’s a healthy slant to take on a thread on all three of them. I mean, a thread to discuss them, cool, but to set off a 3 way battle and comparison will just deteriorate to ‘Gomes camp’ vs ‘Greenwood camp’ etc. That said, any topic will soon descend to that anyway.

We have had Nani bs Valencia, Rooney vs Ronaldo, Rashford vs Martial on here over the years. Same team and all that.
So who are you going for then?

macheda14

Well I'm definitely in the team MyOnlySolskjaer camp vs team Rozay

Panther

Greenwood looks like the most talented as of now. I think Gomes would suit La Liga the most, so I think he could succeed to a very high level there.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
All are talented. Greenwood is pure tangible quality though. He’s cut from Chanel fabric. Gomes too, although he has a few more obstacles I think. Chong is a dark horse. He turns the volume up as soon as he’s on the pitch, and the most ‘traditional United player’ of the 3 I think.

I reckon all 3 will have a career here, but Greenwood is most ready now.

UnitedObsession99

Greenwood looks ready now and certain for big things.

Gomes also looks ready, but i don't get the feeling the club are confident of that probably due to his height. I feet he'll leave and smash it in Spain.

Chong does not look ready, but needs games to bed in. He has the highest energy and exuberance and needs to up his composure. Each senior game is making a clear difference though. I worry he'll be highly prone to fouls and injuries. He needs the Ronaldo bulk up programme

Crashoutcassius

I think at present Greenwood likes slightly overrated by the fanbase (in terms of his immediate impact), Chong looks underrated in terms of long term potential (think there is a rushed manner about him but a technically much stronger player than he has indicated so far). Gomes could be the one that just doesn't get the chances, it is a lot of responsibility to play 10 and he will struggle to get minutes for us.

Ideally we could one day field McTom Pogba Lingard Rashford Gomes Chong Garner Tuanzebe and Greenwood regularly and often together to make us one of the most homegrown sides in prem history. Stuff like that is very exciting I think.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Greenwood - Premier League Top Tier
Angel Gomes - Premier League Bottom Tier
Tahith Chong - Not good enough for the Premier League. Average French/Dutch League player

khoazany

All will have similar career...

Of leading us to 7 PL and 3 CL titles on the next 10 years.

laughtersassassin

Gomes is outstanding. Already could replace Mata for us easy. If we don't give him chances here he will succeed elsewhere.

ManchesterYoda

When I first saw Chong I thought he looked like a combination of George Best and Ruud Gullit. Nothing to do with his ability, just the way he looked and moved. I've no idea, hopefully all 3 become United Legends, that'll do me :drool:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Knee jerk prediction time:
  • Greenwood will stay here his whole career and go on in our record books
  • Angel Gomes will play at a top team but not in the prem
  • Chong will have a very successful career in Germany and go on to Dortmund or something
Would love if they all stayed here, and I think they will for a bit, but I just think it's unlikely that we'll have 3 youth attackers from the same team make it as starters, shortly after Rashford has also broken through as a starter. As promising as they all are, it's rare that even 1 becomes a top player that stays a long time and I think Greenwood will. Dream scenario is a future 11 of:
Henderson
??? - Tuanzebe - ??? - ???
McTominay - ???
Greenwood - Gomes - Chong
Rashford​
With obviously some of the others filled in by players we have brought in like Wan Bissaka, Shaw fulfilling his potential, Pogba staying long term, Lindelof progressing into a top class CB, etc

SirAF

Ageist
Why do you all underestimate Chong? What am i missing?
He just doesn’t look that tidy on the ball as the two others. He might become the best of the lot for all we know, but right now I’d rank both Gomes and especially Greenwood ahead of him.

Kag

Greenwood looks like he’ll transition into senior football with ease. That view isn’t jingoism; it’s just evidential.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The thing as well is you have to factor in can they do it 50 games a season.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
I think Gomes ball control is gonna take him very far. It's between him and Mason. After Rashford, I don't wanna overhype any young forward again.

dutchred

Knee jerk prediction time:
  • Greenwood will stay here his whole career and go on in our record books
  • Angel Gomes will play at a top team but not in the prem
  • Chong will have a very successful career in Germany and go on to Dortmund or something
Would love if they all stayed here, and I think they will for a bit, but I just think it's unlikely that we'll have 3 youth attackers from the same team make it as starters, shortly after Rashford has also broken through as a starter. As promising as they all are, it's rare that even 1 becomes a top player that stays a long time and I think Greenwood will. Dream scenario is a future 11 of:
Henderson
??? - Tuanzebe - ??? - ???
McTominay - ???
Greenwood - Gomes - Chong
Rashford​
With obviously some of the others filled in by players we have brought in like Wan Bissaka, Shaw fulfilling his potential, Pogba staying long term, Lindelof progressing into a top class CB, etc
Laird at right back
Williams at left back
Garner alongside Mac

K13

They will all develop at different rates. Bobby Charlton was not ready until he was 19 and didn't do too badly.

Butt was ready before Scholes & Beckham and I think Gomes will also be a late developer just because his skillset is mainly creative which can take longer to develop. I think he will be around the squad if Ole wants to keep an eye on him or if not a short loan move to somewhere like Bournemouth which would be ideal. In my opinion not a regular at the moment. If he develops inline with his talent then hopefully we will see more of him in the future and he could have the longest career.

I am not sure about Chong but he plays with great character and determination and sometimes that is better than all the skill in the world. If he went out on loan I think he would develop far quicker with regular game time.

Greenwood looks ready but still an unknown. He will have setbacks and loss of form and how he copes with that will be key to his development.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Laird at right back
Williams at left back
Garner alongside Mac
Mines based on players who have already somewhat broken through with roles at a premier league level... Laird will be capped by Wan Bissaka, so would need to go LB if he does develop highly (and ahead of Shaw if he does that). Garner is highly rated but I think that's one of the positions that is the hardest to actually transition into the top level. Will reserve judgement til he's actually ready for the step up, like the likes of Greenwood, Gomes, Chong, Tuanzebe and McTominay seem to be (and Henderson set to start at premier league level).