Chong Loan watch | Club Brugge

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Chong is becoming a prolific goal scorer?
He was always prolific for the reserves, just couldn't quite do it in the mens team due to nerves/pressure.

I think he will come back and be a different man after this experience, then we will see if he can raise his game to united level

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Chong has always come across as the type of lad that will do as well as his mentality allows him to, if we get him into the rid mindset he could have a very good career with us. He's very good technically, and definitely has the potential to become a big physical presence. Hopefully he's being looked after resistance wise in Germany and adds a few pounds of solid muscle, and becomes a little bit more explosive.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
As it stands with Rashford not having any competition on the left, and Greenwood/James being the options on the right, i personally think Chong should have stayed. Surely he would have got good minutes?

Now he's with Bremen he'll do well there i think. Hopefully 1 season will be enough and we get him back asap
I think the general atmosphere around the club may have proved somewhat unhelpful. He looked like he was struggling with United first team pressures.

Now he's playing first team football and excelling elsewhere, it's great experience.

Hopefully he comes back a player confident of his ability to play first team football.

Mihai

As it stands with Rashford not having any competition on the left, and Greenwood/James being the options on the right, i personally think Chong should have stayed. Surely he would have got good minutes?

Now he's with Bremen he'll do well there i think. Hopefully 1 season will be enough and we get him back asap
If you don't consider the friendlies/competitive games difference, I think he already got as many minutes as he would've gotten here in 1 year. I don't think there's any doubt of this loan being a good move for him and us.

Judas

Open to offers
No idea why people are arguing he should have stayed. This loan is looking likely to do exactly what you send players out on loan for. It's invaluable experience and game time. Early days but it seems very promising for his development.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It is like some have already decided he will never be good enough. Why don't we wait to see how he develops.

Maybe so, but hope he shines for WB so that we can actually get a decent fee, or at least make it a difficult call to sell or keep. Those 2, along with the Sancho interest, should emphasize the jeopardy he is in when it comes to a spot on the United roster.
If the lad is good enough he will play.

This is a good loan, and if he gets a good number of games under his belt this season, and performs - he’s in the driving seat. All three lack experience, and he’s the one most likely to be able to get that experience this season.

Personally, I don’t think he’s good enough, and don’t think he will make it at United. I’ve not seen the other two, so can’t compare to them. Would of course love to be proven wrong.

Suvvernmanc

I think the general atmosphere around the club may have proved somewhat unhelpful. He looked like he was struggling with United first team pressures.

Now he's playing first team football and excelling elsewhere, it's great experience.

Hopefully he comes back a player confident of his ability to play first team football.
I agree that a loan will help. Absolutely. I personally rate him higher than most i think. I think he will come back fairly soon. I have a good feeling about him

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
He is starting today and the first 45 min he was sadly quite bad. He is playing, like he is playing a friendly for the U23. Especially defensively you have to expect more in a Top 5 League.

Mark Pawelek

He is starting today and the first 45 min he was sadly quite bad. He is playing, like he is playing a friendly for the U23. Especially defensively you have to expect more in a Top 5 League.
2nd league start for him against Frankfurt. Played attacking centre midfield. Only made 13 passes (5 failed). Had 5 bad touches and gave away 5 fouls. Lucky he didn't get a yellow. Subbed off after 62 minutes. All in all a bad-5 day for him!

NYAS

Apart from this game how good has he been on a scale of 1-10?

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Apart from this game how good has he been on a scale of 1-10?
maybe a 6?

You can clearly see, that he never has played in a Top League so far and is playing more like for a U23 Team.

But today he was a very good substitute after we were losing 0:1. Won us the handball penalty for the 1:1 with his cross and was very active. We are struggling to create chances and he tried his best today to create something.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
and made a foul to gift Stuttgart the penalty for the 0:1...

Pavl3n

I watched a little bit of the game just now (it's half time as I write) and he looks eager and willing to do the running and wants to be positive.
I must say the whole team looks poor. Not passing the ball when they need to, dwelling on the ball to much, giving away the ball cheaply.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He is flopping badly at Bremen, simply not good enough.
His contract expires next summer, we only gave him a 2 year deal. At the time it looked like we were giving him a last chance to make an impression but it's hard to see him getting another extension if things don't improve. I still maintain that he'll go on to have a good career, I saw too much in him to think he'll wilt away. He'll be a late bloomer.

If he doesn’t perform there, I honestly don’t see him playing for United again. We are much stronger than before.

I’ve not seen anything in him to suggest that he should be a squad player at United. Not every player has to be great, but don’t think this lad is good enough.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
He is flopping badly at Bremen, simply not good enough.
Is he? He had an assist against Mainz and Hannover latest, started against Leverkusen. He's 21, there's lots of development still to be done.

I think he's doing reasonably well. Flopping would mean he's not getting gametime, which he clearly is.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
His contract expires next summer, we only gave him a 2 year deal. At the time it looked like we were giving him a last chance to make an impression but it's hard to see him getting another extension if things don't improve. I still maintain that he'll go on to have a good career, I saw too much in him to think he'll wilt away. He'll be a late bloomer.
Yes, apologies, I should know better than to say stuff like "simply not good enough". You just never know (least of all do I..), he could have a decent career, or hell, he could be the Dutch Gnabry and this is his West Brom moment.
But right now it sure looks like one of those youngsters who think they are further ahead than they actually are, due to having some hype in their youth of a big club, and who in reality might struggle to have a career in a top league. He's not good enough for Bremen as it stands.

Idxomer

He has no future at United, the club buying 2 young players in his position is a big indication.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Yes, apologies, I should know better than to say stuff like "simply not good enough". You just never know (least of all do I..), he could have a decent career, or hell, he could be the Dutch Gnabry and this is his West Brom moment.
But right now it sure looks like one of those youngsters who think they are further ahead than they actually are, due to having some hype in their youth of a big club, and who in reality might struggle to have a career in a top league. He's not good enough for Bremen as it stands.
Oh yeah, no question. I wasn't saying he's doing well at Bremen or anything, I just think (hope?) he'll go on to show much more later on in his career. It's very unlikely he'll be doing that at United or Bremen though.

Ace of Spades

Cut the loan and send him somewhere he gets to play, does not matter the level. He needs games, sitting on the bench won't help him improve. Can't get better by sitting on the bench. I would like to keep him though, he has talent and could just be one of those that take a while to get going.

Acole9

Outstanding
Never rated him. I don't know what his key traits are. I know I'm gonna get some shit for this and I couldn't give a feck to be honest but this forum gives James such a hard time. Is Chong actually better than him? I don't think he is.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Kicker released and article titled "The Problem with Chong at SV Werder".

They quote Clemens Fritz (former captain, now part of the club's management) with:

[he has] "room for improvement, it must be said clearly"
"must keep on learning to do the right thing"
with regards to Chong's defensive game, when he arrived: "a lot of potential for improvement"

on the other hand:
"He is someone who engages himself incredbly with the situation, football and himself and his development - maybe a bit too much."
and they knew he wouldn't settle in Bundesliga overnight

And coach Kohfeldt with:
"the decision making in attack wasn't always optimal", which the reporter interprets as a domplomatic and mild verdict

https://www.kicker.de/das-problem-mit-chong-beim-sv-werder-794420/artikel

Gator Nate

They've had 15 games so far. Chong has started 4 and subbed 9, logging 383 minutes. He's made the most sub appearances by far, but only ranks 14th in minutes played. And they've only had four players start every game. His stats are all over the place planting him firmly in the "semi-reliable substitute player" category you'd expect to see in a squad that's sitting 13th in the table.

Finishing out the season, it's incumbent on him to become a starter in this squad. The opportunity is certainly there.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
His days will be numbered if Diallo and/or Pallestri cut the mustard.

He's arguably the last choice wide player in the United squad.

Red Star One

Never rated him. I don't know what his key traits are. I know I'm gonna get some shit for this and I couldn't give a feck to be honest but this forum gives James such a hard time. Is Chong actually better than him? I don't think he is.
James is two years older, so perhaps he is slightly better, but many here (me included) believe Chong has a higher ceiling than Dan. Both are light years from being a starter for us and both are still quite far from being a reliable impact sub.

Dve

The talent is unquestionable there, but I wonder if he has the mental strength to make it at the top level. I hope I´m wrong, but every time he was given a chance last season, he never seemed able to deal with the pressure and play up to his best. Likewise, he looked very promising for Werder Bremen in preseason, but in counting games, he has not been able to reproduce those performances.

SAFMUTD

Shame I had high expectations for him, TMF and Gomes. Two of them are gone and I don't think Chong will play for us again. Another proff to show even when youngsters seem geems in the academy its really hard for them to make it here.