Choose any club or country - Build a team you just like

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Shame on you for not picking Weah or Leonardo or Rai.:nono:
Long time ago, hope you're fine :)

The spirit of this thread was not to built an All-time, otherwise Rai and Safet Susic would have had a role for sure.

Weah and Ronaldinho are Ballon d'or; but very very inconsistent for my taste.

My team previously proposed initially is very balanced and robust but if I had to build a much more exciting team to watch, then I would have built this team:

Last edited:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Celta de Vigo

Cañizares
Otero Cáceres Djorovic Juanfran
Mazinho
Karpin Mostovoi G.López
Gudelj

Bench: Cavallero, Makelele,M.Salgado, Revivo, Berizzo.

It´s a crime not to include Pahiño, but I didn´t see him playing. I send Salgado and Makelele to the bench, since both had his best years in Madrid. Berizzo could be there too instead Djorovic but I prefered the serbian

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Deportivo:

Songo´o
M.Pablo Naybet Donato Bonissel
Victor Mauro Silva Aldana Fran
Valerón
Bebeto

Bench: Molina, Makaay, Djalminha,Tristán, Pandiani . A bench full with top strikers. I could also include Djukic but leaving later to Valencia make me appreciate him a bit less.

Aldana and Bonissel are strange choices. Aldana came from Madrid in the beginning of Super Depor.
He had had a cruciate ligament injury and was theoretically finished, but revived in Depor.
Romero used to be the left back, or Capdevila, but many of us still remember Bonnissel, a great full back who had a great connection with the best Fran. Unfortunately he was a very controversial guy, who had problems in the dressing room and who even hit a journalist and broke the nose of a fan.

Last edited:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Canizares
Angloma Rami* Ayala Carboni
Baraja Banega
Silva Aimar Mata
Romario​

Subs: Villa, Nani, Albelda, Mendieta, C.Lopez
* just because he shagged Pamela
That team would have been great in other circumstances. Romario really didn´t give a feck in Valencia, a shame. I thought he was going to spend a few more years in Europe.
I did not know about Rami :D

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
MHSC:

Martini
Baills......Blanc--Julio Cesar...Bonnissel
.............Mézy---Estrada
...Belhanda-Cantona-Valderrama
.................R.Milla

::sonny::

Rossi

Cafu Baresi Nesta Maldini

Riijkaard Pirlo Gullit

Shevchenko Van Basten Kaka

the_irish123

South American teams -

Flamengo :

Julio Cesar
Leandro Juan Gamarra Junior
M.Assuncao
Zico Djalminha Ronaldinho
Romario Adriano

IrishMcD

Shay Given

Denis Irwin
Paul McGrath
David O'Leary
Steve Staunton

Roy Keane
Liam Brady
Johnny Giles

Kevin Sheedy
Robbie Keane
Damien Duff

Subs:
Packie Bonnar
Mick McCarthy
Steve Finnan
Kevin Moran
Ronnie Whelan
Ray Houghtan
John Aldridge
Frank Stapleton

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Deportivo:

Songo´o
M.Pablo Naybet Donato Bonissel
Victor Mauro Silva Aldana Fran
Valerón
Bebeto

Bench: Molina, Makaay, Djalminha,Tristán, Pandiani . A bench full with top strikers. I could also include Djukic but leaving later to Valencia make me appreciate him a bit less.

Aldana and Bonissel are strange choices. Aldana came from Madrid in the beginning of Super Depor.
He had had a cruciate ligament injury and was theoretically finished, but revived in Depor.
Romero used to be the left back, or Capdevila, but many of us still remember Bonnissel, a great full back who had a great connection with the best Fran. Unfortunately he was a very controversial guy, who had problems in the dressing room and who even hit a journalist and broke the nose of a fan.
Oh dear lord I loved Depor back in the day :drool:. I'd always want to see Djalminha in the starting XI but it's hard to squeeze both him and Valeron in.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
One day, I have spent some time to try to guess who is the best between Ballack and Effenberg.

I guess your answer but what's the difference between these 2 players? They seem similar in terms of style of play: Ballack more offensive maybe and Effenberg more aggressive, I don't know

I think we should get more threads about German football
As an individual player there is no question for me Ballack was the better player. Even though he is a high rated player, i believe he is very underrated. This is probably the case because he failed to win the big ones (multiple times).

If you ask who was more influential for Bayern it is Effenberg without a doubt. Ballack in general was very unlucky, being the only true world class player (alongside Kahn) in his german generation. Also he was part of the worst Bayern team, and german football in general, in decades (that's why he left for Chelsea).

But individually, in his prime, i do believe that Ballack was one of the best offensive central midfielders of all time. He just had everything. The body language, the intelligence, the abilities and the mentality.

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Kahn
Lahm Beckenbauer Mertesacker Breitner
Schneider Gundogan Schweinsteiger Reus
Scholl
Seeler​

Demyanenko_square_jaw

As an individual player there is no question for me Ballack was the better player. Even though he is a high rated player, i believe he is very underrated. This is probably the case because he failed to win the big ones (multiple times).

If you ask who was more influential for Bayern it is Effenberg without a doubt. Ballack in general was very unlucky, being the only true world class player (alongside Kahn) in his german generation. Also he was part of the worst Bayern team, and german football in general, in decades (that's why he left for Chelsea).

But individually, in his prime, i do believe that Ballack was one of the best offensive central midfielders of all time. He just had everything. The body language, the intelligence, the abilities and the mentality.
He was a dirty player too, all elbows and cynical fouls. I particularly remember a friendly against Russia where he charged about putting in dangerous tackles all game. Marat Izmailov was never the same player after having to go off only about 10 minutes into it because of him.

Davicho

United

-------------------------De Gea---------------------
Rafael---Ferdinand------Vidic--------Evra
-------------------------Carrick---------------------
-------------Scholes-----------Pogba-----------
Ronaldo----------Van Persie--------Martial

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

Thanks

Chipper

Adulterer.
------------Romero
Brown--Bruce--Johnsen--O'Shea
Beckham-Fletcher-McClair-Park
------Chicharito-Solskjaer

Not one of them is my favourite player in each position, but I have a positive attitude towards every one of them. I like them.

Schweigaard

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool post-2000.

---------Alisson
Gerrard - Hyypia - Van Dijk - Robertson
----------Alonso - Mascherano-------
---Salah-----Coutinho--------Suarez
-------------Torres

Subs: Reina, Owen, Mane, Riise, Babbel, Carra

As ridiculous as it seems, I think Gerrard would be incredible as a modern right back. We haven't really had any world class RBs, and if he plays there that makes room for Coutinho as well. The only thing I'm unsure of is who should partner Van Dijk. Hyypia gives us strength and goal potential, but Carra would possibly be better at covering for Van Dijk in duels, like Gomez is doing so well now. Suarez, Torres, and Salah would have to play very fluidly, mixing positions often. Not sure how Torres would cope with that.

Reactions: Invictus

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
REAL MADRID - 4/4/2 - DEVASTATING COUNTER-ATTACKING

Key considerations:

- Players at their prime
- Eto'o played 3 games for Madrid, ie less than 5 games
- Pace, pace & pace
- no #10
- Long passing skills : Xabi Alonso & Hierro... Edit: Stielike instead of sanchis below would make more sense in this regard.
- I don't know if @carvajal is better than Salgado

REAL MADRID - 3-5-2 - SILENT KILLER

REAL MADRID - ART & PLAYMAKING

OMG

I have ignored players like:

- Kaka
- Michel
- netzer
- Stielike
- butragueno
- RVN
- Suker
- Luis Enrique
- modric
- kroos

Last edited:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
.....................Van Der sar..........
..........koeman..stam...f de Bohr
..........seedorf....rijkard....davids
...........gullit.....bergkamp..robben
.....................van Basten...............
They would probably fallout and argue but meh on the occasions they didn't you would have a team that was fun to watch

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Real Madrid - 4/4/2 - DEVASTATING COUNTER-ATTACKING

Key considerations:

- Players at their prime
- Eto'o played 3 games for Madrid, ie less than 5 games
- Pace, pace & pace
- no #10
- Long passing skills : Xabi Alonso & Hierro... Edit: Stielike instead of sanchis below would make more sense in this regard.
- I don't know if @carvajal is better than Salgado

Real Madrid - 3-5-2 - SILENT KILLER

Real Madrid - ART & PLAYMAKING

OMG

I have ignored players like:

- Kaka
- Michel
- netzer
- Stielike
- butragueno
- RVN
- Suker
- Luis Enrique
- modric
- kroos
Great selections Ecstatic.I would choose the art and playmaking.Redondo is my weakness.Although based in his performance probably I wouldn't have chosen Didi but Di Stefano playing in the middle.
Salgado was more leader and better tactically but I think slower.
He was good when going to the attack, although before the full backs did not play like they do now.
I would need to see them in the same era

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Great selections Ecstatic.I would choose the art and playmaking.Redondo is my weakness.Although based in his performance probably I wouldn't have chosen Didi but Di Stefano playing in the middle.
Salgado was more leader and better tactically but I think slower.
He was good when going to the attack, although before the full backs did not play like they do now.
I would need to see them in the same era
Thanks. Le'ts update then with new players but it's crazy the high number of world-class players who played for Real Madrid :eek: And when you loot at my Real Madrid teams, you would notice I have not mentioned butragueno, Figo, Guti, Hagi, Michel, Netzer, Conceiiao, Cambiasso, mijatovic, suker, amancio, ricardo carvalho, vazquez...

The definition of a playmaking team below!

Last edited:

Negan

Juventus

Buffon
Thuram Chiellini Bonucci Sandro
Vidal Pirlo Pogba
Dybala Del Piero Ronaldo

Real Madrid

Casillas
Carvajal Ramos Pepe Carlos
Beckham Modric Zidane Figo
Ronaldo Ronaldo

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Barcelona Alternate XI with a mix of old and recent favorites.

The number of popular or favorite starting XI combinations you can make with this club is quite remarkable, especially in attack and midfield. R-R-R or Ro-Ro, Maradona, Stoichkov, Luisito, Laudrup — or even hipster picks like Litmanen, Krankl, Hagi. :)

And one for Inter...

Meazza Fenômeno Mazzola
Matthäus Tardelli Suárez
Facchetti Bergomi Zanetti
Picchi
Pagliuca
No room for Burgnich, Baggio, Pirlo, Sammer, Cambiasso, Brehme and co. unfortunately...

Inter Yer Nan

Atletico Madrid of the last 30 years

Oblak

Juanfran Godin Miranda Filipe Luis

Cameniro Schuster Simeone Futre

Griezmann Falcao

Some tough one's here. Goalies have been great De Gea, Molina, Couirtois and Oblak. De Gea is the best but he left at the age of 20 and they've had Oblak in his peak. Midfield I was very tempted to put Baraja or Valeron in but they were in the relegated team and I associate both more of being Valencia and Depor players since they only had two seasons. Schuster I guess is more associated with Barca but had three seasons at Atletico and they did better (than what the team did with Baraja and Valeron) with Schuster being a huge player. Hard to leave Saul, Gabi or Koke out also. Three personal favorites but I tried to use mainly players that no longer play in those positions since Atletico have had a lot of attacking and midfield talent.

Up front there's a luxury to chose from; Aguero, Torres, Costa, Kiko, Forlan can all feel unlucky.

That would be a team. Midfield has just about the right level of bastardry but also some elegance in passing and trickery on the wings. We know how great that back 5 is and Griezmann and peak Falcao would have a field day in any era.

Bwuk

Spurs

Lloris
Walker - Alderweireld - King - Vertonghen
Modric - Dembele
Eriksen - VdV - Bale
Kane​

paulscholes18

Juve
Buffon
Thuram Cannavaro Chiellini Zambrotta
Pirlo Davids
Zidane Nedved
Ronaldo Del Piero

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Up front there's a luxury to chose from; Aguero, Torres, Costa, Kiko, Forlan can all feel unlucky.
That's a stunning collection of forwards for the post-modern era. From memory, Hasselbaink also had an excellent season there, and Bobo Vieri ended up as Pichichi in his lone season at the club!

damageinc.

Supports
the unknown
Inter:

Zenga
Zanetti Burgnich Samuel Facchetti
Matthaus L.Suarez Corso
Meazza Ronaldo Mazzola

Bench 11:
J.Cesar, Maicon, Lucio, Bergomi, Brehme, Oriali, Cambiasso, Jair, Sneijder, Eto'o, Milito

Inter Yer Nan

Valencia

Canizares

Angloma Ayala Djukic Carboni

Mendieta Baraja Albelda Vicente

Aimar

David Villa

Deportivo La Coruna

Molina

Manuel Pablo Naybet Djukic Capdevilla

Mauro Silva Costinha

Makaay Valeron Rivaldo

Bebeto

Modern Spain pre euro 2008

Molina

Salgado Abelardo Nadal Sergi

Baraja Hierro

Valeron

Luis Enrique Cameniro

Raul

Inter Yer Nan

That's a stunning collection of forwards for the post-modern era. From memory, Hasselbaink also had an excellent season there, and Bobo Vieri ended up as Pichichi in his lone season at the club!

Yeah, Hasselbaink and Vieri scored for fun too. Jesus Gil basically didn't allow for stability otherwise Atletico would have won far more when he was around.

Hazard Warning

Supports
Chelsea
Parma!

GK Buffon

RB Thuram CB Lucarelli CB Cannavaro LB Benarrivo

CM Nakata CM D. Baggio CM Veron

RF Zola LF Stoichkov CF Crespo

What a team

Deportivo:

GK Acuna

RB Pablo CB Naybet LB Capdevila

CM Mauro Silva CM Fran CM Valeron

CF Tristan CF Makaay CF Bebeto CF Rivaldo

Fran staying on the left, Valeron bombing forward and Silva playing midfield on his own :drool: 4 upfront because why not haha

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I hope we will see very diverse clubs or countries.
Wales AT XI, 433. If you can tell me how to embed the formation pic, that would help.

Thanks for starting this thread as it was good to look through our players (for a very small country, we've had some pretty good players tbh). Also, while looking at some players, I also found out some stuff I didn't know - the Football League "Top 100" and exactly why Jimmy Murphy wasn't on the plane in 58 (see end). So while they may not (all) be modern household names, of their times they were and really interesting to read up on them.
  • Manager - Jimmy Murphy with Gary Speed as player Asst
  • Goalie - Neville 'Binman' Southall. Goalie for the great mid 80s Everton team and still the best British goalie I've seen (and not because he was Welsh). One of a small number of goalies in the Football Leagues "100 legends"
  • Left Back - Gareth Bale. I know he could play upfront but we've had a few decent left wingers and Bale was also a very good LB .... think Spurs vs Milan and Bale skinning Maicon all game on his way to a hattrick. Amazing engine especially in his young days so can get up/down left flank
  • Left CH - Kevin Ratcliffe. Captain and leader of the Everton 80s team, comfortable with ball at feet. Also played LB at times during career so can drift if/when Bale pushes up
  • Right CH - John Charles. One of the greatest players in British history ..... a combination of Roy of the Rovers, Jaap Stam on steroids and Hot-shot Hamish but never carded in his career ..... voted Juventus' greatest all-time overseas player..... included in the Football Leagues "100 Legends". Yes, he could play up front but monster of a defender and fits with Ratcliffe (could still score from freekicks/corners)
  • Right back - Alf Sherwood. Known as the King of the sliding tackle and an 'all-in' FB. Stanley Matthews said he was "the most difficult opponent he ever played against" including when Sherwood captained Wales to a famous 2-1 win over England (Matthews, Roger Byrne, Billy Wright, Tom Finney, Nat Lofthouse et al)
  • Left midfield - Ryan Giggs. Again, yes he could play left wing but we've got more than one contender there and Giggs running down the inside left channel will give another attacking threat/option (think his runs Vs Spurs as a kid or 'that goal' vs Arsenal :drool:)
  • Centre midfield - Gary Speed (RIP). Massively underrated when people talk about midfielders in the PL era. 20 years for Leeds (Champions medal), Everton, Newcastle and Bolton... almost 100 goals from midfield, never saw him have a bad game. Respected by fans and players alike
  • Right midfield/inside right - Ivor Allchurch, the Golden Boy of Welsh soccer. A pacy attacker with a famous swerving run. Well over 270 career goals including scoring in both legs of the WC 58 qualifiers where we got to the WC for the only time and two goals in the tournament proper. Another member of the Football League "Top 100" players, a Swansea legend, top scorer with his statue at the ground
  • Left wing - Cliff Jones. A key member of Spurs' famous double winners. One of the top scoring wingers of British football (an almost 1 in 2 record for Spurs) and at the time, considered the best LW in the world with Juve offering a then world record fee which Bill Nicholson rejected. Yet another member of the Football League "Top 100" players
  • Right wing/outside right - Billy Meredith aka The Welsh Wizard or (per Uniteds website), Uniteds first superstar. Another member of the Football Leagues "Top 100" players. Winner of every domestic trophy including F A Cups with both Man City and Man United for whom he played over 700 games for, over 30 years. Helped us win our first league title and our oldest ever player. A founder member of the Players Union, with the FA demanding all players quit the union and when United didn't, we were temporarily suspended leading to us being called The Outcasts F C. Also accused of match fixing by the FA who then suspended him for a season (!). Attacking, fluid, maverick, despised by the FA, suspended, sounds like Eric?
  • Centre forward - Ian Rush. Still the best British goalscorer I've ever seen (despite main club). Another member of the Football Leagues "Top 100" players and well deserved. Almost 400 career goals of which 346 were for Liverpool at a top level and an almost 1 in 2 record - tap ins, headers, volleys ... deadly. Loads of medals/awards including a Golden Boot and holds most UK goalscoring records still
I hadn't come across the Football League Top 100 before but it's an interesting read .... the last 15 or so entrants are some of the creme de la crème of the last 30 years. If you've got a place in it (and a lot of this team do) you're probably deserving.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_League_100_Legends

How Jimmy Murphy missed United's European game and ''Munich'.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp..../wales-1958-world-cup-quarter-final-euro-2016

http://sharemytactics.com/119082/

https://www.buildlineup.com/shared/5be0a752138c092e24ac6db1

Last edited:

Web of Bissaka

Real Madrid
- Love seeing Ozil and Guti playmaking -- making those beautiful passes. Plenty of assists there for Ronaldo-Ronaldo to make a meal of because why not.
Casillas
Salgado Ramos Varane R. Carlos
Makelele
Beckham Guti
Ozil
Ronaldo Ronaldo
Barcelona
-
not balanced.
Valdez
Alves Marquez Pavon Umtiti
Xavi Deco
Messi
David Villa Eto Ronaldinho
AC Milan
- Two generation of Maldini together, love to see that. Then their best side plus the two top prospects generations after.
Donnarumma
Cafu Nesta Maldini Maldini
Pirlo
Pato Kaka Seedorf
Shevchenko Inzaghi
Liverpool
- "Like" in this case is overstretching it. More like curious how this team lineup would work and how strong it would be. Looks too imbalance though. I like to see Coutinho play more centrally and develop his game (not at Liv before) as a #10 at the hole, rather than the inside winger or whatever his usual role is.
Dudek
Carragher Hyypia van Dijk Agger
Gerrard Xabi Alonso
Babel Coutinho Sterling
Owen
England
Pickford
GNev Rio Campbell Shaw
Gerrard Carrick
Beckham Scholes
Rooney
Owen
Manchester United
- Current squad..wait..
De Gea
Dalot Bailly Lindelof Shaw
Herrera
Pereira Pogba
Rashford Sanchez Martial

Subs: Lingard, Fred, Mctominay, Matic, Young, Smalling, Romero​

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Real Sociedad
Arconada
López Rekarte Gorriz Iñigo Martínez Aranzabal
Xabi Alonso
Karpin Bakero López Ufarte
Kovacevic Nihat

Bench: Bravo,Kodro, De Pedro, Griezmann, Vela

Coach: Toshack​

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
City:

Sane Aguero Sterling
Silva ----De Bruyne
Fernandinho
Clichy Kompany Laporte Walker
Schmeichel

Web of Bissaka

Chelsea "Favourite players"
Drogba
Hazard
Matic Kante Essien
Makelele
[Irrelevant point] Desailly Zouma Azpilicueta
Cech​
Chelsea "Physical Mayhem"
Drogba Costa
Essien
Matic Kante
Mikel
Felipe Luis Cahill Terry Ivanovic
Courtouis
Chelsea "Technical Magic"
Hazard Zola J. Cole
Lampard Fabregas
Jorginho
[Irrelevant point] Desailly Carvalho Azpilicueta
Cech​
Chelsea "Pace to Burn"
Robben Hazard Willian
Essien
Kante Ramires
A. Cole Gallas David Luiz Ferreira
Courtouis
Chelsea "Rip 'Em Apart"
Drogba
Hazard Lampard Robben
Kante Essien
[Irrelevant point] Terry Desailly Azpilicueta
Courtouis
Chelsea "Full Throttle Engine"
Hazard Costa Willian
Kante Essien
Makelele
A. Cole Gallas Terry Azpilicueta
Courtouis
---

*:drool:Love to build United versions like this ones.

ROFLUTION

Chose Schalke 04.

Incredible the amount of talents they have made, especially going forward. A bit weak at the back maybe, but you'll just have to outscore the opponent I guess. Could've included Sane but I'd keep him as an impact sub.
No Raul?? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: