Choose any club or country - Build a team you just like

ROFLUTION

Feck defending.. Just bring out this Depor-side and play the ball in circles around every team in the world.

Bench: Bebeto - Luque - Turu Flores - Victor - Manuel Pablo

Zlatattack

Southampton FC

Shilton
Clyne VvD Fonte Shaw
Schneiderlin Wanyama
Mane Le Tissier Bale
Shearer

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Northern Ireland all-time select

GK - Harry Gregg (MUFC)
2 world class keepers to select from in Gregg and Pat Jennings but Greggs 1958 World Cup performance swings it for me

RB - Jimmy Nicholl (Rangers)
Solid, dependable but still fullback was one of our weakest areas over the years imho

CB - Terry Neill (Arsenal)
Reliable, clever CB who spent a decade at Arsenal before going on to become a manager

CB - Jonny Evans (Leicester)
Who else? Injuries have hampered him but still our best CB. Has proven himself at international level by stopping the likes of Torres and Ibrahimovic

LB - Mal Donaghy
Defence first player not known for attacking. But that’s fine considering who is ahead of him

DM - Jackie Blanchflower (MUFC)
Classy player whose career was cut short by injuries sustained in the Munich air crash

CM - Danny Blanchflower (Spurs)
Who else alongside his brother but this Spurs legend?

CM - Martin O’Neill (Notts Forest)
Industrious, goalscorer who could carry the ball brilliantly. Made his mark in European campaigns with Forest

LW - George Best (MUFC)
Enough said

RW - Keith Gillespie (Newcastle)
Pace, goal threat. May have played a bigger part at MUFC where it not for the foreigner rule at the time

FW - Peter McParland (Aston Villa)
At 1958 World Cup was a standout performer scoring 1 less than Pele. Two v Germany, two v Czech and 1 v Argentina

Subs
Pat Jennings, Norman Whiteside, Sammy McIlroy, Aaron Hughes, Alex McDonald, David Healy

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
[url=http://sharemytactics.com/119097/][/URL]

Sporting CP

Only to add this was based on players I watched not necessarly the best or historical ones who didn't watched playing.

Honorable mentions: Tomislav Ivkovic (GK) Abel Ferreira (RB) Fabio Coentrão (LB) Beto (CB) Naybet (CB) Paulo Sousa (DMC) Moutinho (MC) Pedro Barbosa (AMC) Cristiano Ronaldo (LW) Simao Sabrosa (RW) Mario Jardel (CF)

48 hours

If Wimbledon had carried on....

4-4-2 Diamond

GK - Hart
Defence - Bardsley, Rojo, Morgan, Cook
Midfield - Noble, Shelvey, Xhaka, Wilshere
Forwards - Arnautovic, Vardy

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

Wales AT XI, 433. If you can tell me how to embed the formation pic, that would help.

Thanks for starting this thread as it was good to look through our players (for a very small country, we've had some pretty good players tbh). Also, while looking at some players, I also found out some stuff I didn't know - the Football League "Top 100" and exactly why Jimmy Murphy wasn't on the plane in 58 (see end). So while they may not (all) be modern household names, of their times they were and really interesting to read up on them.
  • Manager - Jimmy Murphy with Gary Speed as player Asst
  • Goalie - Neville 'Binman' Southall. Goalie for the great mid 80s Everton team and still the best British goalie I've seen (and not because he was Welsh). One of a small number of goalies in the Football Leagues "100 legends"
  • Left Back - Gareth Bale. I know he could play upfront but we've had a few decent left wingers and Bale was also a very good LB .... think Spurs vs Milan and Bale skinning Maicon all game on his way to a hattrick. Amazing engine especially in his young days so can get up/down left flank
  • Left CH - Kevin Ratcliffe. Captain and leader of the Everton 80s team, comfortable with ball at feet. Also played LB at times during career so can drift if/when Bale pushes up
  • Right CH - John Charles. One of the greatest players in British history ..... a combination of Roy of the Rovers, Jaap Stam on steroids and Hot-shot Hamish but never carded in his career ..... voted Juventus' greatest all-time overseas player..... included in the Football Leagues "100 Legends". Yes, he could play up front but monster of a defender and fits with Ratcliffe (could still score from freekicks/corners)
  • Right back - Alf Sherwood. Known as the King of the sliding tackle and an 'all-in' FB. Stanley Matthews said he was "the most difficult opponent he ever played against" including when Sherwood captained Wales to a famous 2-1 win over England (Matthews, Roger Byrne, Billy Wright, Tom Finney, Nat Lofthouse et al)
  • Left midfield - Ryan Giggs. Again, yes he could play left wing but we've got more than one contender there and Giggs running down the inside left channel will give another attacking threat/option (think his runs Vs Spurs as a kid or 'that goal' vs Arsenal :drool:)
  • Centre midfield - Gary Speed (RIP). Massively underrated when people talk about midfielders in the PL era. 20 years for Leeds (Champions medal), Everton, Newcastle and Bolton... almost 100 goals from midfield, never saw him have a bad game. Respected by fans and players alike
  • Right midfield/inside right - Ivor Allchurch, the Golden Boy of Welsh soccer. A pacy attacker with a famous swerving run. Well over 270 career goals including scoring in both legs of the WC 58 qualifiers where we got to the WC for the only time and two goals in the tournament proper. Another member of the Football League "Top 100" players, a Swansea legend, top scorer with his statue at the ground
  • Left wing - Cliff Jones. A key member of Spurs' famous double winners. One of the top scoring wingers of British football (an almost 1 in 2 record for Spurs) and at the time, considered the best LW in the world with Juve offering a then world record fee which Bill Nicholson rejected. Yet another member of the Football League "Top 100" players
  • Right wing/outside right - Billy Meredith aka The Welsh Wizard or (per Uniteds website), Uniteds first superstar. Another member of the Football Leagues "Top 100" players. Winner of every domestic trophy including F A Cups with both Man City and Man United for whom he played over 700 games for, over 30 years. Helped us win our first league title and our oldest ever player. A founder member of the Players Union, with the FA demanding all players quit the union and when United didn't, we were temporarily suspended leading to us being called The Outcasts F C. Also accused of match fixing by the FA who then suspended him for a season (!). Attacking, fluid, maverick, despised by the FA, suspended, sounds like Eric?
  • Centre forward - Ian Rush. Still the best British goalscorer I've ever seen (despite main club). Another member of the Football Leagues "Top 100" players and well deserved. Almost 400 career goals of which 346 were for Liverpool at a top level and an almost 1 in 2 record - tap ins, headers, volleys ... deadly. Loads of medals/awards including a Golden Boot and holds most UK goalscoring records still
I hadn't come across the Football League Top 100 before but it's an interesting read .... the last 15 or so entrants are some of the creme de la crème of the last 30 years. If you've got a place in it (and a lot of this team do) you're probably deserving.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_League_100_Legends

How Jimmy Murphy missed United's European game and ''Munich'.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp..../wales-1958-world-cup-quarter-final-euro-2016

http://sharemytactics.com/119082/

https://www.buildlineup.com/shared/5be0a752138c092e24ac6db1

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Real Sociedad
Arconada
López Rekarte Gorriz Iñigo Martínez Aranzabal
Xabi Alonso :drool:
Karpin :) Bakero López Ufarte
Kovacevic Nihat

Bench: Bravo,Kodro, De Pedro, Griezmann, Vela

Coach: Toshack​

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
Theo Snelders

Stuart Kennedy
Alex McLeish
Willie Miller
David Robertson

Gordon Strachan
Neil Simpson
JimBett
Arthur Graham

Joe Harper
Steve Archibald

Subs: Leighton, McKimmie, Buchan, Cooper, Weir, Nicholas, Gillhaus.

IrishMcD

Ahuh, two of them make my AT United XI. It's just that all 3 midfielders (for me) are top and would be a great mix.

All three have a mix of attacking ability and steel. Keane has more of the latter, Brady more of the former and Giles a perfect balance of both.
Yeah, and when you think of the likes of Ronnie Whelan to come off the bench, it would have been some ridiculously brilliant midfield. Our own "Barcelona trio" in green

the_irish123

Barca without the "Guardiola team" players (3-3-1-3)

Zubizarreta

Thuram De Boer Koeman

Guardiola Davids Laudrup

Ronaldinho

Rivaldo Ronaldo Romario

They were all in their primes too. Tell me a better team than that and I'll be shocked.

Janson

Croatia national football team:

GK- Dražen Ladić

CB- Robert Kovač
CB- Igor Tudor
CB- Josip Šimunić

RM- Ivan Rakitić
CM- Zvonimir Boban
CM- Luka Modrić
LM- Aljoša Asanović
AM- Robert Prosinečki

ST- Eduardo
CF- Davor Šuker

Croatia finest in 3-5-2 formation with goalkeeper who I would personlly trust against any striker ever, he really was that good. Defence made of 3 great defenders, players who were not just strong in duel, but great with ball at the feet. Midfield seems like football cheat, with so many brilliant players but there they are, so can say that creative part of the play is covered. 2 lethal strikers who can score both from creative team play or from brilliant individual play.
Boban, Modrić and Prosinečki would be deadly together.

Janson

As an individual player there is no question for me Ballack was the better player. Even though he is a high rated player, i believe he is very underrated. This is probably the case because he failed to win the big ones (multiple times).

If you ask who was more influential for Bayern it is Effenberg without a doubt. Ballack in general was very unlucky, being the only true world class player (alongside Kahn) in his german generation. Also he was part of the worst Bayern team, and german football in general, in decades (that's why he left for Chelsea).

But individually, in his prime, i do believe that Ballack was one of the best offensive central midfielders of all time. He just had everything. The body language, the intelligence, the abilities and the mentality.
I think Ballack was underrated for Chelsea too. He was always scapegoated by their fans. You could see how some of the things he does were missing once he left.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

Classic Portugal

With this lineup we would have fun.

Last edited:
Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Ajax/Holland

GK : Edwin Van Der Sar - excellent

LB : Ruud Krol - Total Football personified
CH : Ronald Koeman - passing plus strength
CH : Jaap Stam - strength plus passing
RB : Wim Suurbier - great wingback

DM : Frank Rijkaard - GOAT
CM : Johan Neeskens - brilliant
AM : Johann Cruyff - genius

LW : Piet Keizer - before Cruyff there was Keizer
CF : Marco Van Basten - almost GOAT
RW : Ruud Gullit - excellent

Basically a collection of some of the greatest players in every position. When Van der Sar is possibly your weakest player, you know it's some team.

Subs
Ronald De Boer
Danny Blind
Edgar Davids
Clarence Seedorf
Sjaak Swart
Jari Litmanen
Ruud
Dennis Bergkamp

..... and that's leaving some excellent players out.

http://sharemytactics.com/119256/

(again @Ecstatic ... any idea why link to team doesn't work?)

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Ajax/Holland

GK : Edwin Van Der Sar - excellent

LB : Ruud Krol - Total Football personified
CH : Ronald Koeman - passing plus strength
CH : Jaap Stam - strength plus passing
RB : Wim Suurbier - great wingback

DM : Frank Rijkaard - GOAT
CM : Johan Neeskens - brilliant
AM : Johann Cruyff - genius

LW : Piet Keizer - before Cruyff there was Keizer
CF : Marco Van Basten - almost GOAT
RW : Ruud Gullit - excellent

Basically a collection of some of the greatest players in every position. When Van der Sar is possibly your weakest player, you know it's some team.

Subs
Ronald De Boer
Danny Blind
Edgar Davids
Clarence Seedorf
Sjaak Swart
Jari Litmanen
Ruud
Dennis Bergkamp

..... and that's leaving some excellent players out.

http://sharemytactics.com/119256/

(again @Ecstatic ... any idea why link to team doesn't work?)

When you submit, copy the link below 'post on a discussion forum'!