Chris Armas | New Staff Member

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Damn, that's a name form the past. One of my favorite US National Team players from early 00's. Good lord his TFC team was bad, but Marsh always spoke well of him (for whatever that is worth now).

NewYorkRed

Massive pride watching a fellow New Yorker join the staff, wishing him nothing but the absolute best !

I’m obviously biased but like others have said, many good coaches turn out to be bad managers, so his managerial CV really doesn’t say much about his ability as a coach. If RR has faith in him to get his ideas across to the players, then I’m sure we’ll be fine.

Gavinb33

A lot on Twitter are complaining about this appointment due to his run as NYB and Toronto manager.

I'd point out for reference maybe only Mclaren (and he had issues) from Fergusons coaching staff had what I'd call a successful career as manager, all the rest of them flopped as manager, there is a staggering difference in being a coach and being a manager

Andrew7582

He obviously follows the same tactical outlook as him, learnt under the Red Bull umbrella, I think that's about it in regards to working with each other. To say they've worked in close contact is clutching at straws
Well given that Marsch knows Rangnick well and Armas was Marsch’s assistant coach during his time in charge of the New York Red Bulls, and given that ''Rangnick has been the key man across the Red Bull family of clubs'', it's really not much of a stretch to think that Rangnick and Armas have spent time together before. I don't think it's clutching at straws at all.

Agreed. There are plenty of great coaches that cannot handle the management aspect of things. This happens in American football all the time - top coordinators get a head coaching gig and fail. They go back to coordinating and are successful again. Coaches move up until they can't handle it, then drop back to where they excel. Or they get out of the business.
Those who can, manage, those who can't, coach.
Agreed.

poleglass red

Well given that Marsch knows Rangnick well and Armas was Marsch’s assistant coach during his time in charge of the New York Red Bulls, and given that ''Rangnick has been the key man across the Red Bull family of clubs'', it's really not much of a stretch to think that Rangnick and Armas have spent time together before. I don't think it's clutching at straws at all.

Agreed.
that wasn't your previous point though, you said they had worked together at 2 previous clubs, making it seem they knew each other well. I am sure he knows him, I am sure he knew all the coaches in any of the Red Bull teams. Ragnick knows Marsch well, as Marsch was his assistant, I get that. But he won't have worked on the training pitch with Armas like he did with Marsch was my point, plus who was the other club Armas worked with Ragnick at. I get the New York connection.

SAFMUTD

Rangnick said that his top options were all on jobs on big clubs, so it's no surprise we are getting coaches from lower leagues. I don't care if Armas was successful as a manager or not, if picked by Rangnick I'm sure he'll have the knowledge and skills to help him implement the style he wants.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
this chap was absolutely clueless when managing TFC in mls, really bad. I appreciate he is coming as a coach and not a manager, but still, I actually thought we'd be bringing in Jesse Marsch and this was a smokescreen. Will have to trust Mr Ragnick on this one, he knows what he is doing, hopefully.
A bad manager would still be overqualified for a simple coach.

As long as we have the right Gaffer with a clear instructions coaches would be trivial as they'd be only following his blue print and sets the cone accordingly.

romufc

A coach who has previously failed? Smells like the old Regime.. Jobs for friends.

WHITE TEXT

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
A coach who has previously failed? Smells like the old Regime.. Jobs for friends.

WHITE TEXT
Something is just so weird about some comments and appointments by our new manager. I cant quite put my hand on it. It feels like a pal doing a pal another favour, for some reason. I won't be surprised if we see something down the line.

The Red Thinker

This man may have been terrible for the NYRB near the end, and horrible with Toronto... but he may still be a great coach. Management is about managing people. Rangnick knows that and can do it. He needs someone who can do the drills and push players. Armas may be good at that. Managing egos? Might be shite but that's okay. NONE of Fergie's assistants went on to be effective managers at a high level. Quieroz managed Portugal and still sucked. It's fine. Trust Ralf.

Teja

Wow. That pep talk in the beginning did not fill me with confidence, but then again I know nothing about coaching.
Cringeworthy.

I hope he leaves the motivation to Rangnick or Phelan or whoever.

Matst1

Sports Psychologist, Sascha Lense in now too, in a coaching role, not medical

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
For me the most intriguing aspect of the Red Bull clubs has been the synergy between their recruitment and playing systems and the tiers of the clubs and how they can feed into each other. It’s very smart and streamlined. Are we going to be the next step for the Leipzig/Salzburg players who hit form or are we going to go to the source and start snapping up bargains from under their noses?

It was encouraging to see us work much better off the ball. We’ve been the worst club in the league for work rate up to when carrick took over. The players aren’t lazy, they just looked confused and demotivated by the end of ole. Keep pushing them. Use the squad. There’s so many options. Exciting times ahead.

Blood Mage

Carlos Queiroz is an atrocious manager and yet he was the best assistant Fergie ever had arguably and helped to oversee the club's most successful spell ever. So I'll reserve judgement on this, if Ralf trusts him that's good enough for me.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Never seen a time more than now that coaches are so psycho analysed. Who can name me 3 of Pep's coaches without googling? Or 3 of Kloops coaches? Why are we over analysing this? Ralf feels he'll benefit United then I'm all for it, massive difference between coaching and managing, these are people Ralf trusts and feel can help him implement his style more effectively on the training ground. I'm good with that, all this talk of his TFC and NY Red Bulls managerial stint is irrelevant.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
As long as he can coach. His failure as a manager is irrelevant.
Yep, and if RR believes enough in bringing him in I’m good.

…..you can tell the lack of footballing iq for people slating on him for his previous managerial spells. He’s not being brought in as manager. There’s a difference, as you have alluded to.

United in sin

A Norwegian manager who failed spectacularly at my local team somehow ended up winning the Eastern Conference last night. If he's one of the best managers over there then that proves that MLS isn't a particularly good league.
Who's mentioned him being among the best managers in MLS? He's mostly been part of a coaching team and his first two stints as manager haven't gone well.

Quite a few former big name player- turned-coaches and established big name managers have failed in MLS. Frank De Boer managed my local club Atlanta United for two seasons and flopped. Gabriel Hienze took over and flopped as well.

The club is fairing better now without them. Years before Carlos Queiroz signed for united and helped change our fortunes in Europe he failed in the MLS after managing Porto and the Portuguese national team. Ruud Gullit is another one. Brazil's 1994 world cup winning coach Carlos Alberto Parreira flopped massively as well.

Last edited:

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston

Great stuff, was just about to post this myself.

Seems like a perfect profile fit that RR would like to have around. Another progressive mind that’ll help get the message and instructions along to the players:drool: