Chris Armas | New Staff Member

SinNombre

Carlos Queiroz is an atrocious manager and yet he was the best assistant Fergie ever had arguably and helped to oversee the club's most successful spell ever. So I'll reserve judgement on this, if Ralf trusts him that's good enough for me.
CQ was anything but atrocious. That's revisionist.

Iran qualified for the World Cup twice under his watch and punched above their weight in both tournaments.

Portugal were tumescent to watch but were the team that came closest to beating Spain in the 2010 WC.

He got sacked after a year at RM, but they were leading the league for the most part and really only collapsed at the end of the season and finished 4th.

lex talionis

I am not concerned. Clear as day that Ralf will be hands on and won’t just roll the balls out in training the way it appears Ole did.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

Iran qualified for the World Cup twice under his watch and punched above their weight in both tournaments.

Portugal were tumescent to watch but were the team that came closest to beating Spain in the 2010 WC.

He got sacked after a year at RM, but they were leading the league for the most part and really only collapsed at the end of the season and finished 4th.
Nah it's not revisionist, he was known for being an average at best manager but an exceptional coach.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
From my friend who's a NYRB fan:

He once mentioned that a team had a higher propensity for handballs and that they trained on aiming for the midsection in the box that week. I am not joking
:lol: :lol: :lol:

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

Also, Spain literally lost their opening match in the 2010 world cup.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Way to stereotype. Two can play at that game but we’re full of class too so not going to engage.
Exactly! Frankly, @NewYorkRed I don’t give a damn about the nasty stereotype. I mean, I could have been a contender, but what I think we have here is a failure to communicate. Honestly, I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it anymore. They just can’t handle the truth.

stoinz

How often does a head coach/manager take on an assistant role at another club?
This happens quite often. Jesse did that before from NY to Salzburg. He might do that again if there is a chance to become the manager? Depends what he wants though and being an assistant manager here is not that bad.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Who cares if he's American? everyone is American these days thanks to Starbucks and McDonalds.

And Linkin Park, and Sum41, and Blink182. Or maybe I'm just a boomer.

Last edited:

afatzp

A good coach , or just a good manager in normal people's daily life, should be able to assess his/her subordinates' performance, guide them to achieve their responsibilities, and lead the team to achieve goals. Bottom line is, we don't really need to care whom the manager recruit to do the jobs; at the end of the day, it's Rangnick who is responsible.

That's why I would not blame Carrick or Phelan or McKenna for the poor performance: If these assisting staff did not perform to his standard, then Ole should fire them; If they did not understand what type of game plan and tactics we would like to implement, then Ole should guide them. Maybe they all did World-class jobs and simply Ole was shit, who knows ? Who cares ? It should be always the head coach who takes the responsibilities to put together a team and make it perform. Period.

Bestietom

Maybe we should just give them a chance. A lot of people on here who think they could do a better job should apply.
It's ridiculous, we have a manager who knows the game inside out.
Let's get behind him and give him his 6 months, then criticise if needs be.

Ahmer Baig

Never seen a time more than now that coaches are so psycho analysed. Who can name me 3 of Pep's coaches without googling? Or 3 of Kloops coaches? Why are we over analysing this? Ralf feels he'll benefit United then I'm all for it, massive difference between coaching and managing, these are people Ralf trusts and feel can help him implement his style more effectively on the training ground. I'm good with that, all this talk of his TFC and NY Red Bulls managerial stint is irrelevant.
Best post of the day.

Andrew7582

that wasn't your previous point though, you said they had worked together at 2 previous clubs, making it seem they knew each other well. I am sure he knows him, I am sure he knew all the coaches in any of the Red Bull teams. Ragnick knows Marsch well, as Marsch was his assistant, I get that. But he won't have worked on the training pitch with Armas like he did with Marsch was my point, plus who was the other club Armas worked with Ragnick at. I get the New York connection.
Sorry for the late reply, I hit my post limit yesterday. You are correct that they only worked together at one club rather than two. I had read on twitter that they worked together at two previous clubs and didn't check the information, my mistake. With regards your other points, Armas was more than just one of the coaches, he was Marsch's number two. In addition to that, it was Ralf's job to ensure that his footballing philosophy was being imprinted on the club, so i'm sure he would have been visiting the training ground and observing the training methods.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Quite a few of us here are quick to judge whilst having nothing but anecdotal evidence of his fragilities as coach. Happy he has joined us because Ralf obviously sees his value.

croadyman

Quite a few of us here are quick to judge whilst having nothing but anecdotal evidence of his fragilities as coach. Happy he has joined us because Ralf obviously sees his value.
Yeah some people were made to be assistants not managers, hopefully he is in that category and simply found the job at Toronto FC too much.

Daengophile

It doesn't matter if Rangnick parachutes in Rambo and Arnie.

The style of play and results will be what counts.

There should be a ban on hotdogs though!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Oh look, another one. Welcome to Best Mates FC.

Bite, bithces!

forevrared

America loves giving former national team players coaching jobs, whether earned or not. Always thought Armas was the latter. Loads of other players who weren't as good as he was have gone on to be decent coaches, but Armas has never really been successful.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Not quite inspiring stuff, but being a coach is different to being a manager, so Ralf will know what he's doing

OmarUnited4ever

I couldn't care less how good or bad Chris Armas is, at the end of the day, the buck stops with Rangnick, the club has given him the option to bring in coaches he trusts, he is responsible for how the team performs in matches, he can't say "I failed because I had shit assistants".

MDFC Manager

Like Rangnick said in his first press conference, it's not possible to pull away good coaches from top teams mid season. We've to make do with whatever we get.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Like Rangnick said in his first press conference, it's not possible to pull away good coaches from top teams mid season. We've to make do with whatever we get.
Yeh. And RR is supposedly on 6-month appointment only. The new manager will bring in his own team.

Daengophile

I couldn't care less how good or bad Chris Armas is, at the end of the day, the buck stops with Rangnick, the club has given him the option to bring in coaches he trusts, he is responsible for how the team performs in matches, he can't say "I failed because I had shit assistants".
I think that's the long and short of it.

I would also guess that these guys have contracts that will not impose them on the next coach...

Real Name

Love the 'I'm not convinced' posts. Caf experts are not satisfied with Armas' profile.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Never seen a time more than now that coaches are so psycho analysed. Who can name me 3 of Pep's coaches without googling? Or 3 of Kloops coaches? Why are we over analysing this? Ralf feels he'll benefit United then I'm all for it, massive difference between coaching and managing, these are people Ralf trusts and feel can help him implement his style more effectively on the training ground. I'm good with that, all this talk of his TFC and NY Red Bulls managerial stint is irrelevant.
This is a result of hiring a manager that basically admitted he can't coach. We had a manager and assistant that did no coaching, putting the magnifying glass squarely on Carrick and McKenna...unfairly I might add.
The thruth is that that was an entirely unique situation and isn't likely to be repeated.