Chris Armas | New Staff Member

Stig

I don't understand the hate. They guy's job is as a football coach. If one of the greatest clubs in the world offers him a job why on earth would he turn it down ?

You can be disappointed that this is the level we fell to, but it isn't his fault, not at all.

BarryWinks

Yes, you have to be totally crazy to hate the man, which of us in our careers would turn down a dream job for fear of not being good enough. If anything it speaks to the caliber of people who hired him in the first place.

The video itself did not give any new insights, other than him suggesting slightly that the players might have subconsciously given up on the season due to RR being interim, the board deciding against reinforcement - probably due to the same reason, and united needing players with intensity and energy.

Not surprisingly as well he has good things to say about how people associated with the club treated him, which is always nice to see. Personally for me as a fan, It is important that we retain that honest, respectable manner that we deal with employees at the football club, great to see we haven't lost that.

OmarUnited4ever

I don't understand the hate. They guy's job is as a football coach. If one of the greatest clubs in the world offers him a job why on earth would he turn it down ?

You can be disappointed that this is the level we fell to, but it isn't his fault, not at all.
Agreed.

Right now, I only care about Ten Hag and I don't really care that much who he brings in, he could bring a nobody coach from anywhere and for it doesn't matter all all because it's all on the Head Coach/Manager, after all the buck stops with the Manager, I mean it's not like we care who are the coaches working with Pep or Ancelotti, they are successful regardless and if they fail then no one will excuse them and say they had shit coaches or assistants.

bringbackbebe

Indeed. How can we blame him for fall in our own standards? In fact, if it's anything, we should be thankful to him since he agreed to join us at a time when no one else did.

Eddy_JukeZ

Armas came across well in that interview.

The job was simply too big for him, but I do wish him success in the future and I watched him live plenty of times for the Chicago Fire.

Mwooyo

I mean I can see why the players nicknamed him ted lasso....also can see why he was not good enough. He still doesn't understand....its not about running. Its about running with a purpose. Players needed clear instructions on what to do, when to do it and how to handle different scenarios. It is no surprise to me that he couldnt get through to the players. Imagine getting coached by this dude who thinks its about running and you look at mancity or Liverpool...hell even Tottenham and just see how much info the players are given

Varun1

Not surprisingly as well he has good things to say about how people associated with the club treated him, which is always nice to see. Personally for me as a fan, It is important that we retain that honest, respectable manner that we deal with employees at the football club, great to see we haven't lost that.
Agree with this; when people say those distasteful things about Jones etc, am always thinking that this is not who we are.

pascell

We were also hamstrung by the implications of Brexit and work permits. So the pool of coaches that could be hired that knew Rangnick way of playing, was shallow and unfortunately, lacking in aspects.

Blood Mage

As others have said, the fact that this guy was able to get a job here was a symptom of how badly standards slipped under Woodward's reign. I really hope we've turned a corner now.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Agreed.

Right now, I only care about Ten Hag and I don't really care that much who he brings in, he could bring a nobody coach from anywhere and for it doesn't matter all all because it's all on the Head Coach/Manager, after all the buck stops with the Manager, I mean it's not like we care who are the coaches working with Pep or Ancelotti, they are successful regardless and if they fail then no one will excuse them and say they had shit coaches or assistants.
Not strictly true, ole who clearly isn’t able to coach built a team of novice coaches. Didn’t work.
Moyes ripped up Fergies team and put in Jimmy the park coach lumsden. Didn’t work.
Klopps assistant manager/coach was credited as being the brains behind the operation when he first went to Liverpool.
Coaches matter. If they’re rubbish, players switch off and don’t engage.

i thought at the time, bringing 2 nobodies from the US wasn’t going to end well. Obviously i dont hate him but he and his buddy weren’t good enough for this level, Ralph should have known that.

OmarUnited4ever

Not strictly true, ole who clearly isn’t able to coach built a team of novice coaches. Didn’t work.
Moyes ripped up Fergies team and put in Jimmy the park coach lumsden. Didn’t work.
Klopps assistant manager/coach was credited as being the brains behind the operation when he first went to Liverpool.
Coaches matter. If they’re rubbish, players switch off and don’t engage.

i thought at the time, bringing 2 nobodies from the US wasn’t going to end well. Obviously i dont hate him but he and his buddy weren’t good enough for this level, Ralph should have known that.
You are not wrong in what you are saying, my point is the Manager will be the one judged here in terms of success or failure, if he gets good results and succeeds, then we say good job, and if he doesn't, then we say he is a shit manager, it is that simple, at least for me.

As for Ralph, he made the choices he wanted, and now, most of the fanbase think he failed miserably.

Ten Hag is the manager now, he brought in his coaches/assistants, if he succeeds then that is great, but if he fails, we can't say he failed because he didn't bring in the best coaches, we say he failed because he (Ten Hag) isn't good enough.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
You are not wrong in what you are saying, my point is the Manager will be the one judged here in terms of success or failure, if he gets good results and succeeds, then we say good job, and if he doesn't, then we say he is a shit manager, it is that simple, at least for me.

As for Ralph, he made the choices he wanted, and now, most of the fanbase think he failed miserably.

Ten Hag is the manager now, he brought in his coaches/assistants, if he succeeds then that is great, but if he fails, we can't say he failed because he didn't bring in the best coaches, we say he failed because he (Ten Hag) isn't good enough.
Yeah the manager will always be the fall guy at the end, he has to oversee the coaches etc anyway. But if he brings in poor quality coaches, players won’t buy in for very long once they realise the coaching is poor and then it’s a one way ticket to sackville for the coach.

Ralph brought in poor coaches who he thought would reinforce his ideas but in reality the players turned off on them and in many cases the players regressed

the coaching team Erik built im very confident in, plus his own ability to coach is a big advantage over the previous managers

OmarUnited4ever

Yeah the manager will always be the fall guy at the end, he has to oversee the coaches etc anyway. But if he brings in poor quality coaches, players won’t buy in for very long once they realise the coaching is poor and then it’s a one way ticket to sackville for the coach.

Ralph brought in poor coaches who he thought would reinforce his ideas but in reality the players turned off on them and in many cases the players regressed

the coaching team Erik built im very confident in, plus his own ability to coach is a big advantage over the previous managers
Totally agree, especially with the bolded, I am very confident in Ten Hag and his coaching team, of course they need time as there is a lot of work and development required, but it is as you said, Ten Hag is a Coach/Trainer first and is heavily involved on the training pitch, and that is a huge for our club.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
People forget that Rangnick was brought in half way through a season to take over a squad that had fallen to pieces.

With the work permit issues and literally a 6 month contract, who else was he going to find on short notice?

Armas stepped up, he tried his best. It was frankly never going to work as the players knew they had no authority with such a short contract.

In a way i'm glad it didn't go brilliantly as we would have probably tried to keep Rangnick on - i'm much happier with ETH.

hobbers

He sounds staggeringly ignorant about football for a football coach.

CallyRed

Seeing new staff member in the thread title keeps confusing me. Please change to

Chris Armas | Old Staff Member

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I found all the Ted Lasso jokes very uncomfortable, it basically judging and mocking some one based on we’re the were born and have previously worked. that’s not ok in 2022.

MattofManchester

What's wrong with anyone he said here, other than people take issue that he's American?

He's again, added to the long list of people who've questioned the mentality of the players.

I worry for Ten Hag. It's all smiles now, but once he really has a go at them, they might turn on him. The same way they were all smiles for Ole, then it almost a revolt in the last season. And refused to perform for Rangnick.
And now so many players subtly shit-talking the previous managers by comparison. It's ridiculous.

I have faith in Ten Hag, but I want him to complete an excessive clearout of every player who was here during the Mourinho and Ole era. They have, for the most part, been part of the problem.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
What's wrong with anyone he said here, other than people take issue that he's American?

He's again, added to the long list of people who've questioned the mentality of the players.

I worry for Ten Hag. It's all smiles now, but once he really has a go at them, they might turn on him. The same way they were all smiles for Ole, then it almost a revolt in the last season. And refused to perform for Rangnick.
And now so many players subtly shit-talking the previous managers by comparison. It's ridiculous.

I have faith in Ten Hag, but I want him to complete an excessive clearout of every player who was here during the Mourinho and Ole era. They have, for the most part, been part of the problem.
If they work as a team this season it will due to ETH being good at what he does and empowered by upper management --- plus the guys who left must have been some of the instigators of the fracturing within the squad.

phelans shorts

I don’t have faith in Ten Hag, but I want him to complete an excessive clearout of every player who was here during the Mourinho and Ole era. They have, for the most part, been part of the problem.
So you’re looking at a minimum of what, 5 years? For that to be even remotely possible. What a ludicrous suggestion.