Chris Coleman to take over at Sunderland | TheReligion: "Think he'll do well. Quote me." | Sacked

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
“I have always stressed I would love to experience working in the Champions League,” said Coleman. “I am not going to get that from a club in the Premier League. It is just not going to happen, not now. To do that, I would probably have to travel.”

“There are very few managers that are in a position to say where they want to work. Jobs in the industry are few and far between,” he added.
The bottom of the Championship is an interesting plan in his quest for the CL.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This will end well.

(It wont end well)

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
What an odd job to leave Wales for. It will be interesting to see how he does back in club management.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Really worried where Wales go from here. I expected him to move on but to Sunderland of all places?!

redspoony

Gutted, but not surprised. He's taken us further than we ever thought possible and the future is looking pretty bright with talents like Woodburn and Ampadu coming through.

Who next? Giggsy, perchance?

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
What on Earth is he playing at?! Hold on till a Prem opportunity opens up at least pal. At least 1 job at a struggling club will open up by March.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
He's done a great job as Wales manager, I wouldn't mind him staying to be honest.
I don't think this will end well at Sunderland though, I'm still not convinced he's a great manager, despite the few good years with Wales.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Gutted, but not surprised. He's taken us further than we ever thought possible and the future is looking pretty bright with talents like Woodburn and Ampadu coming through.

Giggs has got a role doing something in Vietnam. No idea how much work that'd involve from him though so maybe he can still do club/international management.

dorchy

He did say he didn't want to manage in the premier league again..

Gopher Brown

He’s not a very good manager. He was propped up by some excellent players for Wales, and that team showed that a little belief can go a long way.

There is none of that at Sunderland.

redspoony

He's done a great job as Wales manager, I wouldn't mind him staying to be honest.
I don't think this will end well at Sunderland though, I'm still not convinced he's a great manager, despite the few good years with Wales.
No, I can't see it ending well. What he did with Wales though was build a platform with some very, shall we say, functional players to allow his best players to perform. I know Sunderland don't have a Bale or Ramsey, but he has shown he can organise a team and make them solid as hell. To do that on the international stage is impressive given the short spells spent with the players. Working with a team day in day out, he might be able to make a go of it.

That said, Sunderland is one hell of a poisoned chalice.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

I hope we don't go for giggs, even though you may have been joking, I just really hope we don't.
We've had a great time under cookie but I think something fresh could work well with the youngsters coming through, like you said.
it is a daunting thought who we are going to go for though.

Not convinced Coleman will do well at Sunderland, seems a strange decision.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Everton would be a good fit for Coleman. Surprised he's not put his name forward.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
No, I can't see it ending well. What he did with Wales though was build a platform with some very, shall we say, functional players to allow his best players to perform. I know Sunderland don't have a Bale or Ramsey, but he has shown he can organise a team and make them solid as hell. To do that on the international stage is impressive given the short spells spent with the players. Working with a team day in day out, he might be able to make a go of it.

That said, Sunderland is one hell of a poisoned chalice.
Yeah, I agree with all that about Wales, awesome stuff by him.
Everton's a good shout someone just mentioned

redspoony

I hope we don't go for giggs, even though you may have been joking, I just really hope we don't.
We've had a great time under cookie but I think something fresh could work well with the youngsters coming through, like you said.
it is a daunting thought who we are going to go for though.

Not convinced Coleman will do well at Sunderland, seems a strange decision.
Giggsy wouldn't pitch up for friendlies...

I really have no idea who we'll go for. I wouldn't be opposed to Giggs to be honest, but how much of that is rose-tinted spectacles, I don't know.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He’s not a very good manager. He was propped up by some excellent players for Wales, and that team showed that a little belief can go a long way.

There is none of that at Sunderland.
That's the rub isn't it; can he do it without a huge wave of national pride behind him? I've never been bowled over by his club management but perhaps he's learned some useful lessons from his time with Wales.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
Is this serious? Surely, like O'Neill at Northern Ireland, given what he has achieved he would have a lot of clout in terms of choosing a good club job. Sunderland are a mess of a club and have been for a while. Personally, if I had any kind of stock as a manager, I'd be avoiding the Sunderlands of the world as long as humanly possible. That's the kind of job a Billy Davies should take, because he is desperate to work. Coleman isn't.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Yeah, strange. No reason as to why he couldn't have made a push for the Everton job.

kotha

You would think some place like Everton.. Don't see the point of risking his reputation from the Wales job to blow it all over Sunderland.. However well he does there he won't get more than a mid placed club in Pl again.. Rather start at a mid placed club and then drop down leagues if it doesn't work out..

Brophs

The One and Only
He must be nuts. Their own doesn’t give a shit and success there will be surviving in the Championship.

stepic

How does Moyes end up at West Ham and Coleman at Sunderland?

Nothing makes sense

Hed Zitin

Can't think of too many better managers they could of got.

Why he's gone for it I'll never know. They don't have a pot to piss in. The owner wants out and he's got a crap squad.

Castia

Seems to be a bad choice in my opinion, best case scenario he keeps Sunderland up but even then he’s committed to 2 years minimum in the championship.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
His record at club level isn't really that great, had one or two good seasons with Fulham but was awful at Coventry and Sociedad.

Failure at Sunderland could just undo all the good stock he's gained with the Wales job.

Peanut Butter

Really worried where Wales go from here. I expected him to move on but to Sunderland of all places?!
Coleman massively over achieved and now he's come crashing back down to earth with a loud bump.

Denis79

Odd choise, He's done so well with the Welsh. Why Sunderland?..

Denis79

Money it seems. Can’t blame him too much since the Welsh FA aren’t minted but I think he should have waited for a better offer from a better run club.
I can understand if he wants a change, I'm on the same page as you, Why Sunderland!? Fecking Moyes got West Ham!

youngrell

Really pleased with the job he did for Wales, obviously. Last year was one of the best times I've had as a football supporter.

But, I'm not overly bothered with his departure. We've been quite boring and blunt since and the spark has gone a little. A fresh start isn't the end of the world, providing the FAW make the right call.

As for his decision to join Sunderland. Like everyone else I'm baffled to say the least. If he wasn't Welsh I could maybe begin to understand. Hope he does well, though.

I'd like to see Giggs, personally, but I hope he doesn't because incredibly he's even less loved by Wales fans than he currently is by United fans. He'd have to do a great job to even get their support.