Chris Coleman to take over at Sunderland | TheReligion: "Think he'll do well. Quote me." | Sacked

Josep Dowling

Incredibly overrated manager. Without Bale that team would have been no where near qualifying for Euro 2016.

Making your team hard to beat and passing the ball to Bale is hardly a tactic.

He will get found out at Sunderland and be sacked.

Classical Mechanic

Incredibly overrated manager. Without Bale that team would have been no where near qualifying for Euro 2016.

To be fair, he has taken a job where he would have to be completely abysmal to not improve their fortunes.

Pacificgi

Very strange decision by Coleman. I didnt rate him before the Wales job but hes done a great job. Worst thing is ill now want sunderland to do well

If you ever watched Wales the tactics were far more than 'passing the ball to Bale'

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
So is he punishing himself for not getting to the World Cup by way of managing Sunderland?

Why would anyone go there of their own free will?

paulscholes18

Guess he feels hes taken Wales as far as they can go, not sure why someone would want to take over a sinking ship

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
So is he punishing himself for not getting to the World Cup by way of managing Sunderland?

Decent financial package and a challenge.
If he gets the backing he might do a good job. He's a decent manager

el3mel

Wow choosing Sunderland as his new job, this guy needs to have a full check on his brain.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Shocking new image of Chris Coleman

Robbie Boy

Yeah he was seen as a joke of a manager before the Welsh gig, so y'know, I don't really think he's up to much. Done a good job with Wales alright, but hasn't had a glittering managerial career at club level to-date. I don't think many PL teams would have taken a gamble with him, tbh.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Decent financial package and a challenge.
If he gets the backing he might do a good job. He's a decent manager
Surely something better than Sunderland would have come along for him?

The move to Sunderland comes with a lot of risk, because if he gets it wrong - I mean badly wrong - his stock will plummet and he won't be in line for anything like the gig he could've got off the back of leaving the Welsh job.

And.... he's living in Sunderland. Bet his family were delighted when he told them the news!

Needham

The circumstarnces in which he he took on The wales job were sensitivitous and required a man emotionally fortitudinal which he proven then to be. Sunderland be the ULTIMATE project club and if he doesn't get the backing he'll be alright. If not he'll see the north east for seven months then try somewhere else.

Acole9

Outstanding
Yeah he was seen as a joke of a manager before the Welsh gig, so y'know, I don't really think he's up to much. Done a good job with Wales alright, but hasn't had a glittering managerial career at club level to-date. I don't think many PL teams would have taken a gamble with him, tbh.
Exactly, it's funny how quick people forget that. The only job he actually did well in was Fulham. The rest were a disaster.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
He didn't do too bad at Fulham too. But I am not so sure about Sunderland. That club is just poisoned. No manager can stay there and build something.

dogwithabone

I don’t recall anyone saying Keane was bonkers for taking the Sunderland job when they were marooned at the bottom of the championship and they were in an even more perilous position then than they are now.

He got them up in that same season and that was his first managerial job. Coleman is vastly more experienced and it is a decent move for him. He will keep Sunderland up this season and then you’d imagine he will be handed a war chest in championship terms to get them going next season.

Thecarrickfan_2016

I don't understand why did he leave a team on the rise in Wales to go to a team who lack confidence and can't score for toffee in Sunderland, I'd like Ryan Giggs to be Wales manager.

Morpheus 7

Imagine taking over Sunderland, they are such a rubbish club. I think it was a bad call by him, could've got something better.The rubbish fans are always leaving at half time because they are losing, the players look like have been thrown together and play like complete strangers. Hate that club, glad they were relegated, it was long overdue. Hope they never get back up, stadium of light? I can think of another word to replace light with. Bad move Coleman

Mettaur

Supports
Liverpool
Moyes gets to manage a Premier League club despite being a disaster in his last 3 jobs.
Coleman who has done decently with the national team gets a team bottom of the Championship.

Conclusion: Moyes has a great agent.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Moyes gets to manage a Premier League club despite being a disaster in his last 3 jobs.
Coleman who has done decently with the national team gets a team bottom of the Championship.

Conclusion: Moyes has a great agent.
Moyes has a proven track record of winning trophy.

onemanarmy

I don't understand why did he leave a team on the rise in Wales to go to a team who lack confidence and can't score for toffee in Sunderland, I'd like Ryan Giggs to be Wales manager.
I'm still convinced the result at the Europeans was a one-off. It's a very mediocre team. With Bale out for couple of games, they failed to qualify for the WC in a pretty easy group.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Watched them last night. They weren't the worst team I've seen at VP (in before everyone says the team playing in claret and blue :D) but they just seem broken mentally.

After they got a goal back there were still 15 minutes left but they barely got over the halfway line after that.

Think Ellis Short staying on has messed things up. They need fresh leadership and direction at the top. Same would've happened to us if Lerner hadn't sold up after relegation.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
From a miraculous semi final at the Euros with a bunch of journeymen to getting relegated from the Championship less than two years later. What a story.

Hope they finish bottom of the league. Poznan your way out of this mess Sunderland fans.

haram

From a miraculous semi final at the Euros with a bunch of journeymen to getting relegated from the Championship less than two years later. What a story.

Hope they finish bottom of the league. Poznan your way out of this mess Sunderland fans.
They aren't relegated yet though?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
They aren't relegated yet though?
Of course not but they are effectively 5 points from safety (with the poor GD) plus a lot of the teams above have a game in hand. With their abysmal home record it would take something quite special to save them.