Chris Hughton leaves Brighton

Yagami

Good post resistant
Shame. I've liked him since his toon days.

Will this be as astute as when Charlton decided Alan Curbishley had taken them as far as he could?

Or when Sunderland said the same about Peter Reid?
only time will tell. They might benefit like Southampton did when they replaced Adkins with Pochettino despite many of us thinking it was absurd at the time.

Nickosaur

It's the right decision. Brighton were safe around xmas, should never have been in a relegation fight. Instead our form dropped off a cliff, and in the end we only stayed up because 3 teams were even worse than us. How many of you watched much of Brighton in 2019? :lol: I don't blame you, but the performances have been dogshite. I was at the amex in February and we could all tell something wasn't quite right.

Chris Hughton is a Brighton legend for getting the club promoted and stabilising the club in its first season in the PL. You can tell from Bloom's statement that it was a really tough call. But letting him go was absolutely the right decision.

padzilla

Hipster
Steven Gerrard is being linked with the Brighton race. Presumably Brighton are impressed with how he finished a distant second in a two horse race in Scotland.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I think the reality for a team of Brighton's stature is that it'll be very difficult with or without Hughton. I know the quality of football was quite unacceptable for most Brighton fans in the second half of the season. It could potentially be a proposition of playing positive football and going down or playing the same awful dross and just staying up or still go down. It's a question of what the fans/team want more, shite football and safety or a having a pop and taking the risk for something more.

I personally think there's some quality players there. In the first half of the season Brighton looked comfortably mid/lower league (but safe).

I mentioned Dost as think what you describe is similar to Murray. A reliable source for goals but not much else, which is a reasonable summation of what Murray has provided.
I do think Bas Dost has a quite similar ouput as Murray, but I also think that those kind of players are much better when used against teams that are not interested in applying high pressure.

But then again, those players are highly dependent on what their team mates can create for them. It's pretty much better rely on mobile forwards, but those kind of players are usually rich club targets and won't stay much more than a couple of seasons in the club.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Steven Gerrard is being linked with the Brighton race. Presumably Brighton are impressed with how he finished a distant second in a two horse race in Scotland.
Rangers budget is significantly smaller than Celtic, though.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Not a mad decision. 10 in a row without winning and really should have been relegated as Carfiff had goals against them in 2-3 games in the final minutes that cost them points.

UpWithRivers

Perfect job for Ole Solskjaer. He has managed Cardiff not done well but then moved to Molde and he has done alright. Think he is ready for the step up.......

promisedlanchiao

Brighton having the cheek to sack him is literally the equivalent to city sacking pep now. Like just look at their squad, it’s absolutely terrible.

Hope they go down now, and maybe they won’t spawn a win against us at the amex next season for once without hughton.

Brophs

The One and Only
Reminds me of when Ipswich got rid of big Mick last year. That went well.
Maybe. I love Chris, hope he's the Ireland manager at some point and he's seemingly, a thoroughly decent bloke, but I think Brighton are a club with a lot of potential upside, not to mention a pretty decent budget by the standards of most PL strugglers. I think the patterns of Newcastle and Norwich, though there are mitigating factors, can't be entirely ignored. Nor can the obvious downward curve the club has been on for a large part of the season. I suppose the question is, would they have been able to do more had they allowed him to recruit in his own way.

Ludens the Red

I think you’re basically right - albeit the fact he keeps clubs up means he does have a next level, one that Warnock doesn’t have - in as much as clubs are entitled to want more. That said, some of the stories, this for example

suggest to me that Hughton was far from the only problem there. The rumours have been that all of their big signings were churned out by a black box somewhere. Which is perfectly fine if that’s your preferred model, but blaming a manager for not doing the job you expect of him, after giving him players he didn’t want, means that it’ll never solely be his fault, albeit it may well prove to be the right decision to make a change.
Always a risk when you sign players in that way. Dutch league is not the place to pinch players, unless they play for Ajax. The likelihood is their great stats are a result of playing in a poor league.

Skills

Snitch
:lol: such a typical caf response. Outrage that a club sacks a manager who didn't manage to relegate his club

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
Whenever a side who survive relegation make a change they are met with a lot of condescending nonsense from other fans (usually of big clubs) who rarely watched them play all season.

He's done a good job overall but there comes a point where a change is needed for all parties. Freshen the place up, new voice, different ideas. It might backfire or it could be a catalyst for better things.
No, no, no. Every club is a managers pet project. Once you have the job, you should have it for life until you royally cock it up. That's the way football should work according the caf's managerial philosophy

Enigma_87

You know who
He has done a great job for them to get them to PL and stay there. However probably reached his ceiling and both need to move on.

Their form since new year has been shocking.

Acole9

Outstanding
It does seem a bit strange, I imagine they've got a replacement already sorted.

beergod

I wonder if they use their analysts for picking the new manager too. :lol:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It's the right decision. Brighton were safe around xmas, should never have been in a relegation fight. Instead our form dropped off a cliff, and in the end we only stayed up because 3 teams were even worse than us. How many of you watched much of Brighton in 2019? :lol: I don't blame you, but the performances have been dogshite. I was at the amex in February and we could all tell something wasn't quite right.

Chris Hughton is a Brighton legend for getting the club promoted and stabilising the club in its first season in the PL. You can tell from Bloom's statement that it was a really tough call. But letting him go was absolutely the right decision.
Can’t agree, they will not get anyone to improve if the rumours about the transfer policy are true. The Moneyball theory doesn’t translate to football that well. It works in games where you have a sport of mostly set plays and clear periods of attack and defence. I’m football there are far to many variables to take into consideration. I would bet money on them getting destroyed next season.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I wonder if they use their analysts for picking the new manager too. :lol:
Probably, it’s a very effective way of analysis in some sports but not football. I’m football so many games are desided in the transition phase where simple hard work and determination matter.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I think you’re basically right - albeit the fact he keeps clubs up means he does have a next level, one that Warnock doesn’t have - in as much as clubs are entitled to want more. That said, some of the stories, this for example

suggest to me that Hughton was far from the only problem there. The rumours have been that all of their big signings were churned out by a black box somewhere. Which is perfectly fine if that’s your preferred model, but blaming a manager for not doing the job you expect of him, after giving him players he didn’t want, means that it’ll never solely be his fault, albeit it may well prove to be the right decision to make a change.
Well, we did exactly the same with Jose. So this is happening everywhere.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I can understand it.

Firstly Chris Hughton has done magnificent job at Brighton and overall is a good manager. However he does have his limitations.

The rot set in second half of the season and they got very lucky in the end Cardiff couldn't win at Fulham otherwise it would've gone to final day.

Now the dilemma for Tony Bloom is....due to his great service do you give him the benefit of the doubt for next season, spend another 50m and then you start with 1 win in 10 and have to sack him in October/November or do you do it now and at least give yourselves a good chance? I'm sure Brighton will get some good applicants for the job with their stadium.

It's similar to his time at Norwich. Had a solid first season and then they wasted ridiculous amounts on likes of Ricky Van Wolfswinkel. Even he got most of the season and only left in April 2014 when they were all but down.

Brighton were doing fine but ultimately their attacking signings haven't been good enough. Locadia and the Iranian guy cost 30m between them! Was also looking forward to watching Izquierdo this season but he's hardly played.

Edit: Can see Hughton ending up at West Brom, feels the right sort of role for him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They've scraped staying up - which is a good result, but they've done it with some dreary defending, and often not even having an outlet up front.

They can see what will happen next year, and hope someone can perform a miracle to take them to the next level.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
They were probably expecting to be challenging for top 6 and getting to a cup final this season so decided to act now, ready for a title challenge next season.

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
Seems harsh. Got them promoted. Kept them in the PL two seasons running. I do concede that his run this year is poor. But would have thought he had enough credit in the bank to have another season. He can be proud of his work at Brighton.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He was doing a lot more than that at Newcastle before they sacked him. He had them in a better position than their Messiah Benitez. Not only did they sack him, they sacked him for Alan Pardew, who had no greater pedigree at all.
Yeha but what's him being mixed race got to do with anything?

Nickosaur

Can’t agree, they will not get anyone to improve if the rumours about the transfer policy are true. The Moneyball theory doesn’t translate to football that well. It works in games where you have a sport of mostly set plays and clear periods of attack and defence. I’m football there are far to many variables to take into consideration. I would bet money on them getting destroyed next season.
Fair enough. I think the majority of Brighton fans agree with the decision bloom has made. It's still sad of course but Brighton have more chance of progressing as a club without hughton than with him. I'm more optimistic at a new appointment than if hughton had remained - there were rumours (so of course take with a pinch of salt) that he had begun to lose the dressing room. I began wondering that myself when I watched them earlier in the year. Fight was gone. It's the right decision and the right time for change.

Nickosaur

:lol: such a typical caf response. Outrage that a club sacks a manager who didn't manage to relegate his club
Yeah it's a little frustrating. Brighton ended up deep in a relegation battle they should not have been in. Keeping hughton would have been more of the same next season. Theres a chance to follow Southampton's lead - bring in a younger, more progressive manager. Of course it's a risk, but the risk was higher to keep things the same and stick with hughton imo.

This will be brightons third season in the PL. I don't think the aim should simply be 'avoid relegation' again.

Bojan11

Brighton needed to move on.

This isn’t a Curbishley type sacking. Charlton under Curbishley never looked like getting relegated.

Just look at the Brighton first half performance vs Newcastle. That’s how they played for 5 months. They would have gone down if they kept Hughton on next season. He’s taken the club as far as he can.

always_hoping

Thats a ridiculous decision by Brighton. A Premier league club because of the great work by Chris Hughton and thats the thanks he gets?

DavidDeSchmikes

3 wins in 23, no wins in their last 9 which only saw 3 goals scored, tumescent football at times. £31m combined on Locadia and Jahanbaksh.
Club record signing Jahanbakhsh didn't have a good season, and there weren't enough goals from the forwards (apart from Murray).

Regarding their transfer policy, this is taken from reddit
I don't think Hughton chose the players they signed that much, they were analytic signings for value. The failure is just a mixture of the types of players signed and how Hughton coaches them. He doesn't do rotation and had fixed players in the team regardless of performance in a very structured defensive system. It just wasn't effective this season. Change is right to align these sides.