6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

ryansgirl

Chris Smalling went out to face Arsenal with a cloud over his head as well as questions of the United team in general, and he demonstrated why he belongs to United. I am so glad LVG kept faith in him.

We don't need fancy passers in our defenders although some past ones notably Rio were great ball playing defenders. Chris stuck to his job and faced down the naysayers. Good luck to the lad. I especially liked the way he kept up the talk as United need more communication on the pitch.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Definitely our best CB, IMO. It doesn't bother me that he's not great with the ball, his defending is very good and that should be what he's judged on.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
What I find odd about the caf is the implication seems to be that City was more of a typical Smalling performance than Arsenal.

That is craziness. His Arsenal performance was pretty much how he plays for us when he plays at centre half.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What I find odd about the caf is the implication seems to be that City was more of a typical Smalling performance than Arsenal.

That is craziness. His Arsenal performance was pretty much how he plays for us when he plays at centre half.
Exactly. Apart from that game, (which was more poor decision making than actual poor defending) I can't remember a bad game he's had at CB in a while.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
Please please please keep performing like that Smalling! I am usually a big Smalling critic but he is slowly winning me over, against Chelsea and Arsenal he's been very good.

He was brilliant against Arsenal, was always alert and marshalled the defence well like he should being a senior CB. He is also very rapid which is a very good quality to have as Attackers hate playing against fast centre backs. He knows he can cement his position in the team now and if he keeps playing like that then good on him.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I do think that the Arsenal game was ideal for him. I think he's a lot better when he has less time to think. He was just being asked to defend, which is his strength. When he has time I feel that's when's more likely to make a mistake. We were under pressure at the back for a large chunk of the game, so there was very little time to become complacent.

I'm seeing the same trait in Blackett too. He's a dawdler when he has time on the ball, and it's got him into trouble a few times already this season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I do think that the Arsenal game was ideal for him. I think he's a lot better when he has less time to think. He was just being asked to defend, which is his strength. When he has time I feel that's when's more likely to make a mistake. We were under pressure at the back for a large chunk of the game, so there was very little time to become complacent.

I'm seeing the same trait in Blackett too. He's a dawdler when he has time on the ball, and it's got him into trouble a few times already this season.
These mistakes you speak of, how many have you even seen him make in 4 years here?

arthurka

Watched the game again and Smalling didnt put a foot wrong.. Great sign after a terrible game vs City..

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Does anyone else find that opposition or neutral fans' opinion of him is that he is terrible? Find it strange myself as if you were to base your opinion of him solely on defending then he is solid.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Does anyone else find that opposition or neutral fans' opinion of him is that he is terrible? Find it strange myself as if you were to base your opinion of him solely on defending then he is solid.
Yes, but I think that's mainly because they either have seen him play at RB, or just see highlights and remember all the bad points rather than the good.

I think if you watch Utd regularly, you know on Smalling's best form he is a monster. It just depends whether he remembers his brain or not too the match :lol:

Red_toad

He's an awful footballer as in he cannot kick it to save his life, his technique is appalling, his passing is disgustingly bad and he panics in possession, that's what I mean by he's an awful footballer. I'd wager if it was me versus him in a game of crossbar challenge I'd win because he's that bad at the basic idea of kicking a football. I am utterly shite though.

What he is though, is an athlete that can get himself out of situations by being really, really quick. If you're quicker than your opponents then you've got a much better chance to get to the ball before them and therefore not look quite so bad at the game as you actually are. If you've got a knack for spotting danger too which I suppose he does then you can be a decent defender.

Not many central defenders are actually good footballers, same with goalkeepers. They don't have to be as long as they can get something in the way to stop an attacker.
One of the most bias posts I've ever read on here!
Complete load of tosh!

ravelston

Basically a good, smart defender. Fewest cards among our CBs for his time at United. (One red in his career - admittedly badly timed.) When he came to United his passing was excellent - no reason why he couldn't get back to that standard with some consistent game time. Hopefully he has now established himself and will continue to grow in the position.

Loublaze

ATLien

To add to this, there was nothing wrong with his actual performance against City. He made a stupid mistake and a bad tackle, otherwise he was solid.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
He is playing with confidence, which comes from a manager having some faith in him and playing him in his preferred position. Pleased for him.

ATXRedDevil

he's had an excellent half. Confident on the ball, pushing forward to help the attack at the right times and getting in good positions in the box. Of course, he hasn't been challenged defensively which is likely why his overall performance looks so good this far

Sam

Now this is the Chris Smalling I remember from his first season here. Absolute monster.

Rojo might as well pull up a chair, make himself a cup of tea, and just relax for the second half. Chris has got this.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Forget scoring, this is the best I've seen him play in a long long time. He's actually confident carrying the ball out and starting attacks.

You might think defending is the only thing that matters, but when your CB is setting the tone of the game from the back like this, it helps so much.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Attacking the space more than Herrera and Mata.

If this was NBA he would be Charles Barkley in his golden era. Unstoppable.

FujiVice

Must have had a come to Jesus meeting after that City game. Really was the lowest point of his career. Looked great since then, oddly.

Devil may care

Hasn't had anything to do defensively but has driven the ball out of the back really well and distributed it with confidence, real air of authority about him right now.

Skills

Snitch
Must have had a come to Jesus meeting after that City game. Really was the lowest point of his career. Looked great since then, oddly.
He was excellent against Chelsea as well. The city was the exception not the rule - it was his first sending off for us in 4 years.

Ekeke

Our best CB last season, our best CB this season.

Nothing strange. People are just too quick to write him off when he has 1 bad game