Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I didn't realise that. All the opposition fans I've spoken to about Smalling all rate him highly. Pretty much the only United defender they'd take.
Really? I've never come across that. Everyone I speak to about football, including fairweather United fans, they all think Smalling is guff. When I read mixed fan forums, whenever an England squad is picked, Smalling is nearly always the first to get slated and you get the usual cries for Ryan fecking Shawcross. Smalling and Jones have often been the topic of discussion on Sky Sports' Sunday Supplement and Soccer Saturday, and they get ripped to pieces.

When I'm not on the caf, I sometimes feel like I am the only person on earth who thinks Chris Smalling is a good footballer.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He doesnt score. Thats basically it. Gerrard and Lamps always going to look great in comparison. Scholes scored the odd worldy and chipped in most seasons. If you dont score you aint rated by rival fans as your basically not mentioned on MOTD!
That doesn't explain why Barry was preferred for a few years. I accept it's a factor but there's obviously something else.

Red_toad

Really? I've never come across that. Everyone I speak to about football, including fairweather United fans, they all think Smalling is guff. When I read mixed fan forums, whenever an England squad is picked, Smalling is nearly always the first to get slated and you get the usual cries for Ryan fecking Shawcross. Smalling and Jones have often been the topic of discussion on Sky Sports' Sunday Supplement and Soccer Saturday, and they get ripped to pieces.

When I'm not on the caf, I sometimes feel like I am the only person on earth who thinks Chris Smalling is a good footballer.
Tbh all our success has been down to luck, as all our players are guff on all other forums. Fans have very clouded judgement & United are the most hated club in the land.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Tbh all our success has been down to luck, as all our players are guff on all other forums. Fans have very clouded judgement & United are the most hated club in the land.
True. I don't really care what opposing fans think, but it is perhaps just a United thing. I remember the 07-09 team being branded as average and being a "one man team" as Ronaldo was banging them in. Rio, Vidic and Evra in their prime, Scholes, VDS, Rooney, Tevez, Nani, even Anderson was pretty great for a bit... Baffling how that was an average team. It was one of the best we've had.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I wouldn't get too excited about him yet. He will probably be injured again soon, just as he looks like he's making progress.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
I wouldn't get too excited about him yet. He will probably be injured again soon, just as he looks like he's making progress.
Like I said earlier in here, his injury record is really overstated.

His appearances for us by season:
10-11 - 33
11-12 - 30
12-13 - 22
13-14 - 38
14-15 - 22 so far.

This is all without ever being first choice for us.

ricky-romeo

Like I said earlier in here, his injury record is really overstated.

His appearances for us by season:
10-11 - 33
11-12 - 30
12-13 - 22
13-14 - 38
14-15 - 22 so far.

This is all without ever being first choice for us.
i think the problem is that he always seems to get injured after a nice run of 5-6 games and is out for the next 3-4 weeks. then the cycle starts again. obviously he will still make 30 appearances plus a season but when you look at rio or vidic during their prime, they rarely missed a game.

hopefully smalling can get over that problem and he will be top class.

m1y2

I really hope that LVG rates him , as he didn't seem convinced after some games - rather started left footer and Jones being his first option was quite worrying..

The guy has it all, I think he's maybe the fastest center back in the league, can't think of any faster in the world tbh, that gives him big advantage in 1v1 and in the game overall, he can recover very well. He's also very strong and aggressive enough. He's got good reading of the game always trying to intercept the ball than sitting back which is good sign for modern defender..

He is monster in the air, not only he's really big but his good spring due to his athleticity makes him almost unbeatable in the aerial duels. Shame he is quite inaccurate, always seems to know how to clear the ball but doesn't seem to head the ball i the back of the net on us taking corners. I don't think he's bad with the ball either he uses well his strength and speed to cover the ball when driving forward. Shame he looks too shy sometimes we could benefit from it more but I'm more than impressed when center backs does what he does carrying the ball out of defense.

His passing is also good, the long passing especially, he's got good awareness where his teammates are but he looks a bit clumsy when he executes these kicks and passes so that somebody can call him unskilful with the ball but I think he's alright. Yeah some brainfarts are here and there and he can mishit the ball from time to time but who doesn't make a mistake?

The most important think is that he should make some good understanding with the second center back and it will be awesome. He complements well either with Jones or Rojo as both are quite similar players in their playing style. He's also not old for center back and if he plays and plays he will remove some of the little mistakes from his game, but he's perfect material for center back.

I think even for his athleticism, strength and aerial ability you would want him in the team but he offers much more. The most important think is that he's like Vidic, he loves defending. I really fell in love with him. Hope he does well and stays fit to fulfill his potential Wenger can feck off, he's no Silvestre. He's much better.

m1y2

WOAH, settle down cowboy, you will lose all credibility!
Why? He's right, Anderson was pretty good for some time, when he wasn't injured which was 95% of the time. But him aside, I won't take any discussion on this topic as it is pretty pointless with some people on caf

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Manchester United defender Chris Smalling says he is happy at the club and is hoping to stay there beyond the expiration of his current contract.
Smalling’s deal expires at the end of next season and it has been reported that United are yet to open talks on an extension for the 25-year-old.

However, Smalling has been in fine form for his club of late, teaming up at the back with his fellow England international Phil Jones during important recent victories over Tottenham and Liverpool.

Asked about his contract situation at an England press conference on Sunday, Smalling said: "That is one that I have not really discussed with anyone.

"The manager is showing his faith in me and, if I am playing, I’m happy.

"We have got another eight games, so we will look to finish as strong as we can.”
Asked if he saw his long term future at United, Smalling said:
"Yes, I do. I am enjoying it, I have always enjoyed playing for United, especially at the minute.

"If I can contribute, as now, then I am happy to stay as long as they want me."

United boss Luis van Gaal appears to rate Smalling highly and the player says the manager has helped him to produce some fine displays this season.

When it was suggested that he was playing the best football of his life, Smalling said: “Yes, I think I am.

"The manager has shown a lot of faith in me. Especially over the last couple of months, I have stayed fit, the manager has chosen me, and I am enjoying my football.

"I think he is very honest. He says what you are doing very well and what you can improve. He has real belief in you."
And Smalling says he will be happy to wait until the summer before discussing any possible new deal.

Asked if any negotiations were currently ongoing, he said:
"Not that I am aware of, I don’t really take care of that.

"We will finish as strong as we can and, if I can contribute, then I will be very happy."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed_ManUtd

Shimo

It's almost scary to think that he doesn't know if any talks are taking place on his behalf - then again probably just trying to deflect.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/mar/29/chris-smalling-england-roy-hodgson-manchester-united

Against Tottenham, in what Smalling describes as probably his best performance for United, he nullified the man-of-the-moment, Harry Kane, and he was impressive against Daniel Sturridge in the Liverpool game. There was also the flashpoint with the Liverpool substitute, Mario Balotelli, when the pair crashed into the advertising hoardings. The Italy striker, who is not in Antonio Conte’s squad for Turin, had to be held back from Smalling by a couple of Liverpool fans.

“If you’re doing your job and not giving the striker much of a chance he’ll probably get angry and Balotelli is someone who can lose his temper very quickly,” Smalling says. “I’m happy to see them get frustrated. I thought that it could be round two on Tuesday but I’ve seen that he’s not in the squad. We’ll have to wait for that.

“I’ve not had too many different managers and Van Gaal is my first foreign coach. He’s really worked hard on the training field right from the double sessions in pre-season. We’ve had the tactics and quite a lot of meetings in terms about the vision that he wants. It is all clicking together.

“The manager stresses that he wants the centre-halves taking responsibility rather than the easy option and passing to the full-back when the room is too narrow and they can’t really do much with the ball. He says: ‘Why pass it to him when you’ve got no one marking you? Try to entice and, if the opportunity comes, pass it to someone in a better position.

Walters_19_MuFc

"I thought that it could be round two on Tuesday but I’ve seen that he’s not in the squad. We’ll have to wait for that". :lol:

Go on Smalling.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
"I thought that it could be round two on Tuesday but I’ve seen that he’s not in the squad. We’ll have to wait for that". :lol:

Go on Smalling.
Loved that bit. He's really starting to come out his shell which is great. Despite the dopiest eyes in world football he comes across as very switched on.

Walters_19_MuFc

Loved that bit. He's really starting to come out his shell which is great. Despite the dopiest eyes in world football he comes across as very switched on.
Ye exactly. Sounding a lot more confident, which has shown in his recent performances. Long may it continue.

Feedingseagulls

I remember back in the early part of the season I reckoned 5 at the back always needed Smalling in there to stand a chance of working. He had grasped the requirements and knitted it together.
His recent performances show an authoritive understanding of how LVG wants us to play imo. Then there are all his physical and technical attributes. If he is able to stay relatively injury free he must have a great chance to be the man around whom the defence is built.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
"The manager stresses that he wants the centre-halves taking responsibility rather than the easy option and passing to the full-back when the room is too narrow and they can’t really do much with the ball. He says: ‘Why pass it to him when you’ve got no one marking you? Try to entice and, if the opportunity comes, pass it to someone in a better position."

Perfect. It's great to see that LVG is really coaching them the correct thing. This is 1 of my biggest bug's in football, so many times the CB's just give it to a team mate who is already closed down, just because they are scared of passing it forward and losing the ball themselves.

In modern football where most teams play with only 1 striker, a CB is always free to make the forward pass. It's correct that they should take command.

Blue always red

“The manager stresses that he wants the centre-halves taking responsibility rather than the easy option and passing to the full-back when the room is too narrow and they can’t really do much with the ball" YES YES YES.

Ole90+3

“He says: ‘Why pass it to him when you’ve got no one marking you? Try to entice and, if the opportunity comes, pass it to someone in a better position.
I absolutely love this. This is something United haven't done for years. Actually, I can't remember a United side ever doing this consistently.

I have never understood players who pass the ball when they have acres of space to run into. It opens up the play. It forces the opponent to close down which a lot of the time leads to them losing shape.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Yeah that is the sort of thing I like to see.

One of my pet peeves is CBs mindlessly passing to the FB (or other CB) every single time, even when under no pressure.
It may explain why in recent weeks we have seen Smalling start to bring the ball forward from defense and run with it.

My other pet peeve is mindless headers to nobody (even when under no pressure). Hopefully that can be next on LVGs hit list.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Have great man love for Smalling. Give him a 5 year deal. And the captaincy for the hell of it.

Timdbro

“The manager stresses that he wants the centre-halves taking responsibility rather than the easy option and passing to the full-back when the room is too narrow and they can’t really do much with the ball" YES YES YES.
This is one of the things that goes to show the sort of basics LVG had to try to teach most of our squad, which is why I had lots of patience when results were going against us, and still would have until the end of this season. There are so many technical/tactical things that, for one reason or another, many of the players hadn't learned to do in matches.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
4th best CB in Europe this year according to Football-observatory: http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/pdf/wp105_eng.pdf
Interesting but who on earth compiles these stats? Navas, for example, is the third best attacking midfileder in Europe over a period in which he has scored none and had just one assist in the EPL. Meanwhile Clichy is ranked best fullback in a period where he's been out for a month and not seen a clean sheet until last time out. Results skewed by 2 assists v Sunderland perhaps way back on New Years day?

Those rankings are complete bollocks

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Had a good game until the injury, hopefully nothing serious....

Sam

He didn't look right from the moment I tuned in, looked to be walking/running strangely

Looks like concussion or illness, or possibly a vision problem. Typical really.

Donut

He didn't look right from the moment I tuned in, looked to be walking/running strangely

Looks like concussion or illness, or possibly a vision problem. Typical really.
Nah, a typical Smalling injury is a calf strain.

He can miss the Villa game, and be back the week after.

Sam

Nah, a typical Smalling injury is a calf strain.

He can miss the Villa game, and be back the week after.
I presumed he'd done his groin or calf.

But it definitely looks like some sort of head problem. The physios were checking his eyes when they came on.

Blue always red

No biggie, looked like he was struggling to keep his balance with all those PL strikers stuffed in his pocket. Will be playing against Villa.