Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

Skills

Snitch
That doesn't sound too bad. A few days rest and should be fine for the weekend. We'll need him against Villa.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Yep as others have said, lets hope it was just a precaution and hes fit for the weekend. We will be far weaker defensively if he is out.

ZDwyr

First saw that he was injured and was devastated. Then to see it was just an illness is a huge relief. Hopefully he'll be right to take on Villa, because Benteke (and Agbonlahor at times) can be a handful.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
First saw that he was injured and was devastated. Then to see it was just an illness is a huge relief. Hopefully he'll be right to take on Villa, because Benteke (and Agbonlahor at times) can be a handful.
Yep we definitely need him against those two, he is good at dealing with pacey tricky strikers.

Devil may care

I fell asleep for a bit during the first half, was he substituted early on? I'm glad he wasn't taken off instead of Jones and that he probably just ate some dodgy pasta rather than being injured again.

ZDwyr

Ugh. Definitely not good news at all. Luckily it is only Villa (no disrespect - we should beat them at home) but I have no faith in Rojo and Jones together.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I am hoping it is LVG on one of his little wind ups/tricks, and that Smalling will actually be in the starting XI.

On the other hand, we know how much LVG likes his left sided and right sided, maybe he was just looking for an excuse to drop one of Smalling/Jones so he could bring Rojo back in and have that LCB/RCB balance again...

Skills

Snitch
Sounded like he'd back into the team if he can train today. We'll need him big time though even if it is only Villa.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
I am hoping it is LVG on one of his little wind ups/tricks, and that Smalling will actually be in the starting XI.

On the other hand, we know how much LVG likes his left sided and right sided, maybe he was just looking for an excuse to drop one of Smalling/Jones so he could bring Rojo back in and have that LCB/RCB balance again...
He doesn't lie about players being ill or injured. Smalling got taken off at international duty, I don't doubt he's ill.

He doesn't need excuses to drop players, if he wants drop someone he'll have his reasons and do it. He's very adamant about being 100% match fit, if Smalling only just got better and missed a training or didn't perform well in one he won't play because we've still got Rojo and Jones. If he plays, he is fit enough.

He usually chooses his XI after the press conference, because they still have a training session after.

Jones and Rojo should suffice against Villa, although I'd like to see Smalling start myself.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Distribution from the back tends to be shocking in the absence of Smalling. Jones is great at stopping things but awful at starting them. I'd be tempted to start McNair alongside Rojo if Smalling's sick.

ZDwyr

Distribution from the back tends to be shocking in the absence of Smalling. Jones is great at stopping things but awful at starting them. I'd be tempted to start McNair alongside Rojo if Smalling's sick.
Don't think we can afford to pick an inexperienced player considering we have to get top four. McNair is more likely to make a mistake which could cost us points than Jones or Rojo.

Raw

Yeah, really need him back. Let's hope he doesn't have a nightmare of a game like he had at the Etihad.

marlowe78

Rojo and Jones looked a lot better on playing out from the back today but we're really hurting for size and command of the pitch when Smalling isn't there. Look forward to having him back next week.

Eugenius

Rojo and Jones looked a lot better on playing out from the back today but we're really hurting for size and command of the pitch when Smalling isn't there. Look forward to having him back next week.
This, pretty much. The amount of times Benteke got his body in the way of Jones and Rojo was a bit worrying. We had the same thing against Kevin Davies, iirc the Preston goal started with Rojo being outmuscled/eased off the ball by him.

ZDwyr

I hope he gets back in but it wouldn't surprise me if he misses. When Fellaini was subbed off I was worried every time Villa had a set piece. Without Smalling or Fellaini there we are so vulnerable.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Hes our best defender and its not close. How anyone can think jones is better in any way baffles me. I think people are still in love with huge and brave defenders that run around and slide tackle. Hence the potential label that jones still has even though hemakes the same mistakes.

Eugenius

Hes our best defender and its not close. How anyone can think jones is better in any way baffles me. I think people are still in love with huge and brave defenders that run around and slide tackle. Hence the potential label that jones still has even though hemakes the same mistakes.
I think it's widely accepted that he's our best CB, at least on here. Jones if anything is the most maligned of our defenders, taking over Evans' mantle from earlier on this season.

Skills

Snitch
Smalling's upside/potential has always been far more than Jones. Its one of the dumbest myths that have been peddled around for so long that Jones has more potential. They're both extremely athletic defenders, but Smalling just about happens to have around 4 inches of height on Jones and is probably even quicker.

He's also always been a cleaner tackler and he's always shown himself to be a more intelligent defender.

ravelston

Smalling's upside/potential has always been far more than Jones. Its one of the dumbest myths that have been peddled around for so long that Jones has more potential. They're both extremely athletic defenders, but Smalling just about happens to have around 4 inches of height on Jones and is probably even quicker.

He's also always been a cleaner tackler and he's always shown himself to be a more intelligent defender.
This. But also, playing with Smalling, Jones is by far our second best defender - not so much playing with Rojo or Evans.

SteveW

I agree the Smalling is comfortably our best CB. However I think Jones has been harshly treated on here over the last few weeks. He's a bit wild but he's generally been decent for us this season.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I agree the Smalling is comfortably our best CB. However I think Jones has been harshly treated on here over the last few weeks. He's a bit wild but he's generally been decent for us this season.
And every good CB pair needs at least one aggressive defender. So Jones being a bit wild should not be a huge problem.

Bwuk

Just found out he's a fellow Judo player. Granted I doubt he does train anymore, but I've decided ive changed my views on Smalling based off of this alone and he's now one of my favourite players

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
When your defender is king in both penalty boxes you can remain calm as Van Gaal was on the bench.

Raw

So happy for him when he got the goal after his nightmare at the Etihad.

Thought he was good today, bit all over the place at the start but grew back into it.