Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
Really happy that he's finally showing promise, always felt he was the best out of him, Jones & Evans. Hopefully Jones can make a step up soon but I'm not as confident.

Gannicus

A terrific performance by Smalling again. But I'd like to see more composure from him when he has the ball. He looks a bit nervous and passed the ball backwards to McNair when he had decent options forward.

But in truth he didn't have a whole of defending to do today.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Is he our best outfield player this season? I think the only thing that's against him is that he hasn't played that much but he isn't that bad either, he is our 10th player by minutes played this season in PL and 8th in all competition, only few minutes short of Fellaini and Young in PL and about 3 or 4 games short of Mata and van Persie, which isn't a lot over 30+ games at all.

A one man back line.
We actually finished the game with him playing one man defence.

Sam

Literally the only player that deserves any credit for that match. He's coming on leaps and bounds.

ZDwyr

Late to comment as I have been busy all day. Just wanted to say that I thought he was probably our best player. Considering the players he had either side of him.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Yesterday was one of his worst performances in terms of ball playing, there was so many space for him to just dribble in, he rather chose to pass it sideways to McNair. Was quite disappointed as he improved this massively, this season. Other than that, my Motm as he looked assured all match defensively.

Skills

Snitch
Yesterday was one of his worst performances in terms of ball playing, there was so many space for him to just dribble in, he rather chose to pass it sideways to McNair. Was quite disappointed as he improved this massively, this season. Other than that, my Motm as he looked assured all match defensively.
Don't you think that's been the case for the last 3 games though? I don't think he's made any runs in the last few games, and I think that's because

a) There's no Carrick to drop into his CB position when he leaves
b) His partner is McNair rather than Jones/Rojo/Evans

So he's been more conservative on the ball.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Don't you think that's been the case for the last 3 games though? I don't think he's made any runs in the last few games, and I think that's because

I think that's a legit explanation for it, I really hope we sign Hummels, he'll even improve more I think.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male

Yeah, this is valid. Chris is the senior defender in the back so he is being conservative, covering - especially as we have seen that McNair has no reservations about bombing forwards, and it is more his natural game than Smalling's.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Our best CB
Not saying a lot though tbf...

I do like him...And I do love how he has tried to step up and be a leader and take responsibility...(While our senior defender is shite and spits on people)

Smalling will become very good/great if he didn't have to carry the defence....But at the moment, he's not good enough to do that. A few years with an experienced partner would do him the world of good

askabob

He has two neurons held together by a spirochete. Dumb as bricks that man.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Endless times.

He's having a bad game but has basically carried the defence on his own for the past 5-6 weeks.
Yep, he's been a rock these last 2 months.

Today he's playing on a bobbly pitch, with no midfield shielding him and under constant pressure.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
And look how bad our defence is!
Because he's the only one who knows actually how to defend? Even Ferdinand would struggle carrying a 19 year old and a winger who doesn't know what defending is.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This pitch is absolutely atrocious and it was only a matter of time before someone got injured on it, you can't really pin that all on him.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
That performance, ending in an injury, should give you a hint.

On his day he's fantastic but when it's not his day he can be really shocking. Plus he can't stay fit.
The injury is annoying but I still don't think he was that bad besides that 10 minute spell. And even then while it was a silly foul to give away for the goal, he wasn't completely at fault for the other chance as it was a terrible ball by Evans that put Smalling under pressure in the first place.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The injury is annoying but I still don't think he was that bad besides that 10 minute spell. And even then while it was a silly foul to give away for the goal, he wasn't completely at fault for the other chance as it was a terrible ball by Evans that put Smalling under pressure in the first place.
He just had a bad game. Loads more mistakes than those two you mention. It happens. Not everyone plays well every game but central defence is one position where it's a real risk to accomodate someone whose form is so extreme.

Ekeke

I thought he was clearly our best defender aside from giving away 1 freekick that they scored from. Other than Young and DDG, nobody else outperformed him