Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
After his excellent breakout season, could we see Chris Smalling progress even further as a CB? He has managed to truly hone in on his biggest strengths as a player: physically matching most forwards in the league and acting as near enough the only defensive head when it came to dealing with aerial crosses.

Admittedly not without faults; this sense of his true strength and pace has - at times - made his defending innately lazy, hitting a plateau and relying too much on his recovery pace or overexerting in a physical duel because he thinks he can easily get the better of an opponent that way. I think Mourinho will fix this aspect from his game, hopefully he starts with the dreaded Skrtel-shoves and rely far less on Smalling to play on the ball, which will no doubt improve his ability as a defender.

#CaptainChrisPlusOne

Ephrem

He is already a beast of a CB and doesnt makes as much mistakes as the most praised and experienced ones like Pique. He should mentor Tuanzbe and Williams and Johnes should afraid of those two kids .

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I like him but given our other central defensive options, his apparent lack of leadership and ball-playing skills are a big problem for us that need to be remedied with a new signing IMO.

m1y2

I think there's no way he could not improve under someone like Mourinho.. the question is who will be his partner?

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
You misspelled Mike in the thread title

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Breakout half a season.

He was Average to Poor after the Wolfsberg away game. Still can't pass nor does he seem to know how to position himself to receive one.

worldinmotion66

Worryingly nervous in possession but he's our best pure defender for sure. Should be better in a Mourinho system with a quicker transition from back to front as there will be much less pressure.

Viva Chris Smalling
Viva Chris Smalling
Slipped out on the piss
Blamed the dodgy fish
Viva Chris Smalling

kr0nix

Smalling isn't a top tier center half, but he's still our best defender despite the significant weaknesses in his game. He tends to rely on his physical gifts to win possession, which is fair enough, but a lack of confidence in possession and on his weaker foot, plus a propensity to grab shirts goes against him. He's also not enough of a threat at corner kicks despite getting good opportunities on many occasions.
He's a far cry from Vidic and Rio, but still good enough to be considered one of the best in the premier league. If only he had half of Blind's technique and tactical nous, he'd be some player...

Devil may care

In his post match interview when talking about Bailly he mentioned how well he'd done even without Smalling there yet, and then quickly gave Blind some credit, but I think it will be as most expected, Bailly and Smalling will be our main CB partnership this season.

Loublaze

ATLien
In his post match interview when talking about Bailly he mentioned how well he'd done even without Smalling there yet, and then quickly gave Blind some credit, but I think it will be as most expected, Bailly and Smalling will be our main CB partnership this season.
I saw that. He didn't even have to mention Smalling and it speaks volumes that he was on his mind

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Yep, seemed clear to me from that that he rates Smalling as our first choice.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Do you think that Smalling will play against B'mouth ?

He didn't played a single minute in pre season if I'm correct so maybe we go for Bailly and Blind are they are both fit ?

Skills

Snitch
Do you think that Smalling will play against B'mouth ?

He didn't played a single minute in pre season if I'm correct so maybe we go for Bailly and Blind are they are both fit ?
Hes banned for it anyway I think. Sent off in the FA Cup final

kps88

Wonder what happens once he's back. Do we drop Blind or Bailey? Or does Smalling remain on the bench? I know I'll sound like LVG here, but I've really come to appreciate having a left footed CB comfortable at passing the ball forward in Blind.

flappyjay

Wonder what happens once he's back. Do we drop Blind or Bailey? Or does Smalling remain on the bench? I know I'll sound like LVG here, but I've really come to appreciate having a left footed CB comfortable at passing the ball forward in Blind.
Its a difficult one for Mourinho but I think Blind will be selected against teams that park the bus and we might see Mike and Eric against the more physical sides

buckooo1978

What was his injury?

If he hasn't kicked a ball since the Euros I think he will need a few weeks before returning to the first team

luke511

If anyone's doubting whether Smalling should be brought back into the team or not need to give this a watch. Him and Bailly, along with Blind, are gonna be immense for us this season.

wiz4231

If anyone's doubting whether Smalling should be brought back into the team or not need to give this a watch. Him and Bailly, along with Blind, are gonna be immense for us this season.

Don't bother trying to convince the caf, they've made their minds up for now until 1 of the fecks up then they'll be here wanting him back in the squad and claiming he's the best out and out defender in the world.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Don't bother trying to convince the caf, they've made their minds up for now until 1 of the fecks up then they'll be here wanting him back in the squad and claiming he's the best out and out defender in the world.
Sounds about right :lol:

Walters_19_MuFc

Most articles expect him to start, but I can't imagine Mourinho will put him straight back in, especially as Blind and Bailly have looked pretty good so far. We should eventually ease him back in, though.

Man Utd 2:0 Southampton

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Good to see him back today. Blind and Bailly have been great, but I still think we're a bit suspect as an entire backline with aerial balls. Pogba, Fellaini and even Zlatan compensate for that from set-pieces, but in terms of general crosses I'm glad we'll have Smalling back in there soon.

Rossa

Getting leaner to compete with the other physical freaks we have at the back for fastest defender.
I think Bailly may actually be faster, but not sure. Valencia and Shaw are speed freaks. Truly the most athletic defensive lineup I've seen. Not one of them will be beaten by pace. Smalling has shown a clean pair of heels to the likes of Willian and Ribery.

Don't think he has lost his place, but he needs to earn it,which is good because Blind has been good.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The only thing that worries me is he and Bailly both look much more comfortable on the right hand side.

Blind plays the left CB really well, so smalling might need to adapt.

Sylar

I wouldnt start him whilst Baily and Blind are playing like this. He needs to earn his place back when given a chance.

Jacob

People have short memories. Smalling is a beast. My only concern is that both him and Bailly are aggressive and ball-oriented. We need one CB that can think strategically and cover up behind the other centre half that likes to stray and intercept.

surf

The centre of defence looked a bit vulnerable today and Mike is the strongest defender we've got so bringing him in would solidify things. Not sure which of the two he would come in for, but expect Mourinho to do it sooner rather than later.

Loublaze

ATLien
He's definitely coming back in when fully fit. Blind has impressed Mourinho but I don't think he sees him as a permanent starter. Smalling is tall and great in the air. Two things Mourinho loves in his DMs and CBs (fullbacks as well)

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
People have short memories. Smalling is a beast. My only concern is that both him and Bailly are aggressive and ball-oriented. We need one CB that can think strategically and cover up behind the other centre half that likes to stray and intercept.
Thats the thing though. Baillly and Blind look a very good partnership, while Smalling is similar to Bailly without being anywhere as good on the ball. Bailly and Smalling together could yet turn into a good partnership, but he will need to fight to het in the side ahead of these two.

Status
Not open for further replies.