Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Havak

Pokemon master
I just hope he manages to play himself into some kind of form in the next game (or games) as he's going to have to start against Ajax.

GM K

Conversely, it's becoming apparent that his 6 months of good form under LVG had plenty to do with how much protection he got in that system. He's been an accident waiting to happen for too long now and I'd wager that Jose well and truly has his number. He might well start next season with us - largely due to the numbers of players we might end up turning over - but I reckon he'll be fourth choice at best and will get no more than one more season with us.
On point.

Simple test: Would he look out of place in or too good for any of the bottom 5 teams in the EPL?

I don't think so. I think he would look perfect in those teams.

Rossa

I've been a defender of his, but if he wants to have a future at United, he needs to step up and regain the form he had under LVG. If he cannot do so, he probably needs to move on. He's good in the air, fast and excellent one on one, but he does have other shortcomings. His best attributes are well suited to a mid table club who often park the bus, but to play for United you need consistency and ironing out your mistakes. Jones, Smalling and Blind have all made far too many mistakes this season.

Blaming Smalling for us not being able to retain possession is too simple, however, as our midfield wasn't able to string three passes together without losing it - hardly Smalling's fault.

Zoo

Was very disappointing how Kane beat him to score their second goal yesterday. Last season when Spurs came to Old Trafford Smalling completely dominated Kane.

Robbie Boy

I think he's been nothing short of a spectacular failure this season. I always felt he had potential and under SAF, he looked like he would fulfil it. Unfortunately, I feel he's pretty much done here as he just never turned into the player that he looked like he could be.

POF

The difference in Smalling when he's confident and when he's lacking in confidence is bigger than any other player in the squad. His confidence is at such a low ebb just now.

He and Jones need to build some confidence over the next 2 games. They will be vital for the final.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Worst CB on the ball I've ever seen play for us. 7 years at the club and the improvement is marginal.

Hammondo

Smalling was helped last season by the possession game in front of him and he was normally man to man under Van Gaal. He's good then because he can defend one-one-one running back towards goal and he's as fast as most forwards. Not sure he's as good marking zonally, which is poor given his age and experience. He'll be ok for one game I think, he's surely good enough as a fourth/fifth choice centre half, even at Man Utd. I'd go this way:

DDG

Valencia Smalling Blind Young

Ander Carrick Pogba

Lingard Rashford Martial

I think he'll go this way:

Romero

Valencia Smalling Blind Darmian

Fellaini Pogba

Lingard Herrera Mkhi

Rashford
I have never seen Herrera play in front of Pogba.

arthurka

He needs someone with him with authority and the midfield passing the ball back to him all game long sure doesn´t help. He is shocking with the ball at his feet, he has 30 caps for England and can´t kick a ball even if his life depends on it.
This season all his major flaws have been brought to light and with Jose on his back his confidence has hit an all time low, in and out of the team, injured and just being a mess.

Chris Smalling 27..

PROS
Pacey
Normally a strong header

CONS
Positional weaknesses
Got two left feet or right depends on whats what
Awareness
Injuries
Not commanding
Mentally weak

Mike on the other hand....

McLovin

Bites pillows thinking of John Terry
Worst CB on the ball I've ever seen play for us. 7 years at the club and the improvement is marginal.
It's probably been mentioned here countless times, but the thing which irritates me most is how he needs to completely open his body up before passing which just ends up slowing the play up. He even does a little arm movement. It's like a kid in school who's being taught how to pass. Worst part for me is that I cannot unsee this.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Jose looked furious after the Harry Kane goal.

Seemed to be slagging Smalling off
It's just a simple and poor error to make. You literally have 1 job in that situation, stay goal side of the attacker and get to the ball first.

Smalling doesn't react and just let's Kane run passed him. Once that's happened you've got very little chance of getting there first.

The ball in was perfectly on the money by Eriksen, but all Kane has to do is touch it and it's a goal. Frustrating how all our defence seemed so slow to react in that game.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Think it comes back to what Fergie used to want: having defenders who could handle defending without requiring midfield support.

Smalling looked okay when he basically barely had to defend.

That said, Jose has a reputation of improving defenders, so it is a little surprising how bad he's looked.

DanClancy

I'd get rid of him but think he'll end up staying, thinks its far more likely Blind will leave this summer. Smalling is just poor in possession, he panics far too often when under no pressure at all.

Jacko21

Think it comes back to what Fergie used to want: having defenders who could handle defending without requiring midfield support.

Smalling looked okay when he basically barely had to defend.

That said, Jose has a reputation of improving defenders, so it is a little surprising how bad he's looked.
Smalling just doesn't strike me as someone who is particularly receptive to orders/instructions - which for Mourinho and his approach, is imperative.

I don't necessarily think he (or Jones) will be sold unless a good offer is made, but you can bet your bottom dollar Mourinho is looking for a new partner for Bailly. Particularly with the injury to Rojo.

Alabaster Codify7

When you consider how average he looked before last season, it seems more and more that Smalling simply had a 1-season purple patch. Lots of CB's have this (Lovren springs to mind, before signing for Liverpool).

He's reverted his true form, an average Prem League quality (but not for a big team) CB.

A final thing, it really bugs me how soft and weak he is for a 6ft 5in brick outhouse.

Manny

Grammar Police
I really wouldn't play him in the final.

Seems a very nervous player. He was poor in the EFL final this year and is prone to absolute howlers. Also his distribution can invite pressure.

Id go with Jones and Blind.
He is. Prone to capitulation. See the own goal in the semi of FA cup, the stupid red in the final, the last game at Upton Park.

He stops thinking in big games or games where the opposition turn up the pressure.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
It's probably been mentioned here countless times, but the thing which irritates me most is how he needs to completely open his body up before passing which just ends up slowing the play up. He even does a little arm movement. It's like a kid in school who's being taught how to pass. Worst part for me is that I cannot unsee this.
I'm the same. It totally colours my opinion on him, I'm ashamed to say. :lol:

I'll admit to being harsher on his defensive mistakes based on the fact that he looks like such a clumsy footballer.

What would help is for him to go on that run of form he had last season. It was probably the only time in all his years at United where he's looked good enough.

djembatheking

Same here , me and my son just look at each other every time he does it , madness . His passing and kicking of the ball is awful and you would think that would be an essential quality for a footballer . Hard to believe he was our best centre half for a while under LVG while in beast mode .

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
His great season under LVG is somewhat exaggerated. He was ordinary in the second half of last season. And also produced a joke of a performance in our biggest game. The one away to Wolfsburg.

Peanut Butter

Disturbing the lack of transfer news stories regarding him. Or Jones. Will we even be able to sell them?
It's only May. We usually sell players out of the blue as well.

Jose knows who is and who isn't good enough for Utd, make no mistake about it.

Bwuk

Fat Dave who plays CB for my Sunday league team is much better than this clown.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Rarely do you see a player look so uncordinated with the ball at his feet. There is no natural ability or comfort there, it's like he has to run through a process of how to control the ball:

"Watch ball, Open body, open foot, meet ball, cushion".

"Look up".

"Shift body to face my passer, the way my chest is facing is the direction the ball shall go in, face colleague, push ball in direction of my chest".

It's madness he gets starts for us.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
He also should as the most experienced figure of that defense, lead, organize & calm the back four down. He seems to create unease more than anything.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Seriously found out this season when we invite pressure more than we did last season under LvG.

Jones should play ahead of him in the final.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Rarely do you see a player look so uncordinated with the ball at his feet. There is no natural ability or comfort there, it's like he has to run through a process of how to control the ball:

"Watch ball, Open body, open foot, meet ball, cushion".

"Look up".

"Shift body to face my passer, the way my chest is facing is the direction the ball shall go in, face colleague, push ball in direction of my chest".

It's madness he gets starts for us.
:lol: So accurate

Oldyella

Maybe he can shine at a club like Everton or at best Arsenal but it's time to go. Just like Evans, he is the liability and needs to find himself again. This is the worst I have seen him ever.
Thats a good shout. A player thats had good spells for us and been a part of decent performances but has just lost form and confidence and we cannot afford the time for him to find it. A move away to a club with less pressure may see him find form again like Evans has. Wouldnt be surprised if Jose lets both him and Jones go, brings in one CB and trusts Tuanzebe to fill the other spot.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
  1. Pass the ball to gk
  2. Turn your back to the gk
  3. Run forward
Never does he turn around and try to find a spot where the gk could actually pass to.

Status
Not open for further replies.