Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

But my point is that Southgate seems to prefer players who are more comfortable with the ball at their feet. I never said Smalling couldn't read the game well or intercept the ball, and I never said he was anything other than "good" in the air, not "great" or "amazing".
Right, its just that you only noted his ability in the air. Thats what I didnt like, because its almost as if someone saw a picture of Smalling saw he was 6'4 and assumed he was good at clearing the ball in the air and not much else. That idea would be false.

But yes Southgate is looking for better ball players and worse defenders.

Ekeke

Because every player on the pitch is asked to drop deep and defend and we have the best keeper in the world. It’s like you’ve never seen us play!
I have and see our players out of position defensively all the time and our CBs or keeper having to bail out our fullbacks, DM and wingers on a regular basis. Maybe you should watch us play and actually watch the team shape and who is where when teams attack us.

Ekeke

Two of those have tried to upgrade and he never fully established himself under the other.

It doesn't have to be either he's rubbish and we should get rid, or he's the best defender in the league. Hes somewhere in between and has cemented his place in the team through consistency. It doesn't mean we shouldn't keep trying to find someone better.
We will continue to try to find better players, but its not easy to get someone who defends as well as Smalling but is good on the ball. So the idea that we sell him or replace him in the lineup first out of our CBs, which is what plenty of people suggest, doesn't make any sense.

There is a spot up for grabs next to our best defender, Smalling. This luxury ball playing CB that people want has a perfect space there, where Smalling can actually take some of the pressures off that player being a top class defender and focusing more on his ball playing because Smalling is used to covering other people's defensive weaknesses.

And then when we've settled in that player next to Smalling, then it makes sense to try and find someone to compete with Smalling for his spot.
But we don't even have the partner for him yet, let alone a replacement. And replacing the most important member of your defence first is a really dumb idea.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Only just found out he's not included in the World Cup squad for England, feel sorry for him. Maybe he still goes to Russia replacing an injured CB.

Bobski

Only just found out he's not included in the World Cup squad for England, feel sorry for him. Maybe he still goes to Russia replacing an injured CB.
Highly unlikely. It is a stylistic choice. If they were just picking the best English CB's regardless of style of play then he has a good shout to go, but given the stye/philosophy Southgate is attempting to create it is far more likely he just goes with a young player whom he feels can be developed.

Like having a target-man striker who is one of the best goalscorers/threats in the league but has no place in the squad because you want to play a passing game.

BigdaftGorby

Cahill, a man in serious decline kept Smalling out of the World Cup squad.
That’s all you need to know.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Highly unlikely. It is a stylistic choice. If they were just picking the best English CB's regardless of style of play then he has a good shout to go, but given the stye/philosophy Southgate is attempting to create it is far more likely he just goes with a young player whom he feels can be developed.

Like having a target-man striker who is one of the best goalscorers/threats in the league but has no place in the squad because you want to play a passing game.
Fair enough, though since he was just mentioned in the post above, where does Cahill fit in regarding Southgate’s style/philosophy?

Bobski

Fair enough, though since he was just mentioned in the post above, where does Cahill fit in regarding Southgate’s style/philosophy?
Cahill is better on the ball than Smalling, or at least does not look as awkward. You could make an argument that name checking Smalling publicly on a weakness forced Southgate into a corner, if he did end up picking him then he looks weak, lacking conviction.

I don't think Southgate is going to this WC with only this tourney in mind, as a guy who has worked through the system, and age groups, I have suspicions he has been tasked to implement a style that all those different teams can work towards. Doubt they can talk about it without the press caning them for a lack of present day ambition, but if it is true it is something that England have needed for a very long time.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
I have and see our players out of position defensively all the time and our CBs or keeper having to bail out our fullbacks, DM and wingers on a regular basis. Maybe you should watch us play and actually watch the team shape and who is where when teams attack us.
I think you will find it’s the CBs and admittedly full backs that are most often out of position. Lindelof is the worst at this but Smalling isn’t much better.

If you don’t think we sit deep, I’d suggest you watch City, there defence pushes out to the half way line when playing dross.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think Smalling has a lot to feel hard done by here. The stick he gets on here is strange, as he's got the best physical attributes of all our defenders. Great in the air (except against Kompany!), good on one to ones, pacey.

He might not particularly marvellous on the ball, but do you need 2 centre backs who are ball playing wizards? I wouldn't call Jones, Cahill or Maguire anything like that. Stones has more on the ball, but less in other areas.

In a time of there being no "Great" English centre backs, he should certainly be in the squad at least. I'd probably have him starting in fairness. Distribution isn't the top needed quality in a centre back in our team. If it was Brazil or someone, who have defenders more comfortable on the ball than our midfielders, maybe it would be!

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I think you will find it’s the CBs and admittedly full backs that are most often out of position. Lindelof is the worst at this but Smalling isn’t much better.

If you don’t think we sit deep, I’d suggest you watch City, there defence pushes out to the half way line when playing dross.
City also have a sweeper keeper who is just as comfortable with the ball at his feet as any outfield player.
DDG is pretty much rooted to his line, he’s comfortable with his feet but he’s no sweeper keeper - and that’s fine because he’s still the best in the world.
Plus our fullbacks are absolute dross.

I just think people need some perspective, we can’t expect to have a high back line when our keeper isn’t going to push up with them, and our fullbacks are a pair of retired wingers.

Andersons Dietician

City also have a sweeper keeper who is just as comfortable with the ball at his feet as any outfield player.
DDG is pretty much rooted to his line, he’s comfortable with his feet but he’s no sweeper keeper - and that’s fine because he’s still the best in the world.
Plus our fullbacks are absolute dross.

I just think people need some perspective, we can’t expect to have a high back line when our keeper isn’t going to push up with them, and our fullbacks are a pair of retired wingers.
We played a highline with LVG and for most of that it was Smalling and Blind even Jones when he was fit. DeGea agreed does now seem really reluctant to come off his line but he used to do it quite often.

Ekeke

I've already looked at it week after week. Young, Valencia and Matic are out of position plenty of the time. Occasionally it'll be Jones and over the course of the season it's been Smalling a minimal amount of times. Despite rarely being out of position, he's stolen in to intercept passes more than any of our other players - so he's taken chances where he might get caught out, but has done so the least because he's been successful pinching the ball. Bailly has done the same.

Nobody has said our CBs arent playing the ball around deeper than City. Why do you say something random like that?

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
I've already looked at it week after week. Young, Valencia and Matic are out of position plenty of the time. Occasionally it'll be Jones and over the course of the season it's been Smalling a minimal amount of times. Despite rarely being out of position, he's stolen in to intercept passes more than any of our other players - so he's taken chances where he might get caught out, but has done so the least because he's been successful pinching the ball. Bailly has done the same.

Nobody has said our CBs arent playing the ball around deeper than City. Why do you say something random like that?
I was referencing the fact that you stated we don’t sit deep in every match. My point is compared to city and even against the lower teams we do. IMO we are far too deep and I believe this is partly(not completely) due to the fact that the midfielders have to drop deep to pick up the ball as our defenders have limited ability to bring the ball out of defence.

Ekeke

I was referencing the fact that you stated we don’t sit deep in every match. My point is compared to city and even against the lower teams we do. IMO we are far too deep and I believe this is partly(not completely) due to the fact that the midfielders have to drop deep to pick up the ball as our defenders have limited ability to bring the ball out of defence.
No you werent referencing that because I never said that. If I did, you'd be able to quote me.

I have said using City as an example is ridiculous because Mourinho will always do things differently to them. And if we're so much worse at playing out from the back then there will be plenty of other, more similar teams to the ones Mourinho would build that are much better examples.

The midfielders dont need to drop deep to get the ball. Matic does it because he wants to get on the ball as much as possible.

Our CBs are easily capable of playing the ball around and using the fullbacks to progress play. Smalling and Jones are unlikely to play a cutting pass that gets a midfielder in behind the opponents around them but they dont need to. And CBs who do that consistantly without getting it wrong and losing the ball often arew few and far between. Rojo is an example of someone who is able to do it sometimes but regularly loses the ball with his attempts to play passes that are more risky than are needed.

JMack1234

In defence of Southgate.

He has an idea and he's sticking to it. He wants defenders who are good with the ball and if there is one thing Smalling is really not good at it's his work with the ball. To me he looks awkward whenever he was the ball for any period of time in a game.

Ekeke

In defence of Southgate.

He has an idea and he's sticking to it. He wants defenders who are good with the ball and if there is one thing Smalling is really not good at it's his work with the ball. To me he looks awkward whenever he was the ball for any period of time in a game.
Even if thats plan A, it makes no sense not to have the best out and out defender in the squad.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I agree with both sides. Southgate is the first English manager in a while who seems to have a clear idea what he wants. He should stick to that. Plan B's, however, are underrated. If they're in anyway successful at this tournament, I can't believe that Smalling's attributes won't at some stage be needed.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I agree with both sides. Southgate is the first English manager in a while who seems to have a clear idea what he wants. He should stick to that. Plan B's, however, are underrated. If they're in anyway successful at this tournament, I can't believe that Smalling's attributes won't at some stage be needed.
Why are we applauding a person that stick to an idea that many think it's dumb? And it's not like he has a track record to prove his idea had bring him any success.

Zoo

Well done Chris. How refreshing to have a CB who can actually do the nuts and bolts of defending.

Minimalist

Aye, you can really understand how people pick Jones over him can't you?

Fcuking morons.

Idxomer

For a while I thought Jones was better than him, but this 2nd half of the season he proved that he's so much better.

It's criminal that he's not going to the WC instead of him.

Raw

Shat on him a few times but he's been our best CB and today he was practically flawless.

Disgrace that he isn't going to the World Cup.

Loublaze

ATLien
Man of the match for us. Even his biggest haters can't fault him today. Handled Hazard every time he came up against him. Jones though!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
LOL Southgate picking Jones over Smalling is a pretty laughable thing isn't it.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Only defender who wasn't afraid to tackle Hazard, and nick the ball from him. Others aren't capable of taking the ball from him even while fouling him. For some reason he is still our most criticised defender, despite being miles better than all of our defenders combined this season. For me he is easily our outfield player of the season.

Bobski

Great game, dominated Giroud in the air and was also the only defender who had the foot speed to cope with Hazard on thr ground. Not many have that combination.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
In that plan of his he's still picking Cahill over Smalling. I think Smalling has been the best defender in the league this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.