Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Can anyone tell me how Jones is any better on the ball than Smalling . Both of them just pass to the nearest man. But Smalling can actually defend!
Jones goes back to the keeper every practically every time. Smalling looks awkward because of his size, but he’s definitely competent and consistent.

I can’t believe after yesterday, in a game where Pogba bottles an easy chance to equalise, Sanchez, Jones and Rashford are woeful etc, people are still trying to slate Smalling after his flawless performance.

manunited1919

He's our best for purely defending. Unfortunately cannot carry the ball. He'd be ideal playing with a ball playing defender or in a 3 with someone like Blind to carry the ball out of defensive areas.
When I watched Juventus play against Tottenham, I enjoyed watching Chiellini, as he knows how to defend. I don’t give a damn if he carries the ball forward or not, as long as he has Kane in his pocket. Smalling also did a job on Kane, but nobody even acknowledges the job he has done. The best Smalling can hope for is for a momentary respite from the many here in the CAF (and the media) calling for his head. I just think that those who want Smalling gone are the same ones who just cannot stand Jose’s style and would like to have a coach such as Poch directing our team to play that same style of attacking football.

Mercurial

When I watched Juventus play against Tottenham, I enjoyed watching Chiellini, as he knows how to defend. I don’t give a damn if he carries the ball forward or not, as long as he has Kane in his pocket. Smalling also did a job on Kane, but nobody even acknowledges the job he has done. The best Smalling can hope for is for a momentary respite from the many here in the CAF (and the media) calling for his head. I just think that those who want Smalling gone are the same ones who just cannot stand Jose’s style and would like to have a coach such as Poch directing our team to play that same style of attacking football.
Smalling is growing on at least me. He stays fit wich by virtue of puts him at the top of the pecking order.

Andersons Dietician

I just think that those who want Smalling gone are the same ones who just cannot stand Jose’s style and would like to have a coach such as Poch directing our team to play that same style of attacking football.
See i’d Say it’s the other way around and Smalling is the excuse people who want Jose to stay use to point out why he is failing and why we can’t play a certain way. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

manunited1919

See i’d Say it’s the other way around and Smalling is the excuse people who want Jose to stay use to point out why he is failing and why we can’t play a certain way. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
Have Jose’s centerbacks been about ball carrying or about no nonsense defending? When I remember for example Carvalho and Lucio, they were all about no nonsense defending. I think Smalling fits that mold as well.

Andersons Dietician

Have Jose’s centerbacks been about ball carrying or about no nonsense defending? When I remember for example Carvalho and Lucio, they were all about no nonsense defending. I think Smalling fits that mold as well.
I’d argue that Carvalho was actually really good with the ball at his feet. He was just a really good defender. Not sure what that has to do with the generalisation tho of feeling like it’s the people that want Jose out/ or don’t appreciate his style that want Smalling sold.

I feel like Smalling has been used as an excuse by the pro Jose crowd quite often.

Andersons Dietician

I mean I explained it in the very first response. They say we can’t play the way many people talk about because we have Smalling who supposedly is the worst player they have ever seen on the ball ever. That Jose is working a miracle with players as bad as Smalling and we should be grateful for what Jose has done.

It goes both ways. I’m sure there are probably Jose out people that don’t appreciate Smalling as you said but it’s not one sided like you said.

manunited1919

I mean I explained it in the very first response. They say we can’t play the way many people talk about because we have Smalling who supposedly is the worst player they have ever seen on the ball ever. That Jose is working a miracle with players as bad as Smalling and we should be grateful for what Jose has done.

It goes both ways. I’m sure there are probably Jose out people that don’t appreciate Smalling as you said but it’s not one sided like you said.
So basically pro-Jose people make an excuse that Smalling is the reason Jose’s system hasn’t worked great, and Poch/Pep/Klopp lovers don’t want Jose’s style and Smalling is exhibit number one for them. So then Smalling is a scapegoat for both camps.

No wonder this thread is always on top whether we win or lose, and whenever there is a bad game by Jones, Bailey or Lindelof.

Distracted Steward

In a very, very limited scope there’s some truth there. You’d struggle immensely arguing Smalling bares any comparison with Carvalho beyond that.

Carvalho was one of the best centerbacks to ever play in the Premier League. His anticipation and decision making was world class. Mentally he was streets beyond anything Smalling could ever hope to be. Carvalho was masterful and an eye opener. Smalling has had a couple of good seasons, but reads the game so poorly he ends up resorting to grabbing the opponent with horrifying regularity.

Both are/were physical and aggressive centerbacks that played in the same league as Mourinho. That’s about it. Otherwise, they’re so different it’s debatable if they’re the same species.

Andersons Dietician

So basically pro-Jose people make an excuse that Smalling is the reason Jose’s system hasn’t worked great, and Poch/Pep/Klopp lovers don’t want Jose’s style and Smalling is exhibit number one for them. So then Smalling is a scapegoat for both camps.

No wonder this thread is always on top whether we win or lose, and whenever there is a bad game by Jones, Bailey or Lindelof.
Pretty much although I’m sure there are some people that maybe want Jose out that don’t appreciate Smalling but from what I’ve seen the people that don’t rate Smalling seem to be the pro Jose camp mostly.

I don’t really agree with the line I highlighted as it’s not just Jose’s style people don’t like, it’s the fact it isn’t working and isn’t getting the best out of the players we have and even then we don’t seem able to play the Jose way anyway.

Whatever happens for me Smalling is and has been our best defender. He was also probably our best defender under LVG when we played a more passing sort of manner with a higher line so for me he has shown he can play in both and I also think the heralded ball playing CB is vastly overated especially when our team as a whole has so many flaws in it that it wouldn’t really make a difference. If any one thing was to dramatically change this team it would be two fullbacks. Not a ball playing CB.

RedStarUnited

Carvalho and Lucio could play, and Smalling is in no way close to them. Smalling struggles making the simplest of passes, in isolation its "just a pass" but in the grand scheme of our build ups it hurts us a lot.

Ekeke

Carvalho and Lucio could play, and Smalling is in no way close to them. Smalling struggles making the simplest of passes, in isolation its "just a pass" but in the grand scheme of our build ups it hurts us a lot.
He really doesnt struggle to make the simplest of passes. Its just he doesnt try anything but that often at all.

manunited1919

Pretty much although I’m sure there are some people that maybe want Jose out that don’t appreciate Smalling but from what I’ve seen the people that don’t rate Smalling seem to be the pro Jose camp mostly.

I don’t really agree with the line I highlighted as it’s not just Jose’s style people don’t like, it’s the fact it isn’t working and isn’t getting the best out of the players we have and even then we don’t seem able to play the Jose way anyway.

Whatever happens for me Smalling is and has been our best defender. He was also probably our best defender under LVG when we played a more passing sort of manner with a higher line so for me he has shown he can play in both and I also think the heralded ball playing CB is vastly overated especially when our team as a whole has so many flaws in it that it wouldn’t really make a difference. If any one thing was to dramatically change this team it would be two fullbacks. Not a ball playing CB.
There are so many United fans that I am sure there are plenty that want Jose to stay that don’t appreciate Smalling, as well as those that want a Poch style coach who will see Smalling as not fitting that style (Southgate logic).

I am 100% in agreement with the need for 2 fullbacks, and it will make a huge difference in our football.

manunited1919

In a very, very limited scope there’s some truth there. You’d struggle immensely arguing Smalling bares any comparison with Carvalho beyond that.

Carvalho was one of the best centerbacks to ever play in the Premier League. His anticipation and decision making was world class. Mentally he was streets beyond anything Smalling could ever hope to be. Carvalho was masterful and an eye opener. Smalling has had a couple of good seasons, but reads the game so poorly he ends up resorting to grabbing the opponent with horrifying regularity.

Both are/were physical and aggressive centerbacks that played in the same league as Mourinho. That’s about it. Otherwise, they’re so different it’s debatable if they’re the same species.
Jones is the one who reads the game poorly, and ends up trying desperate tackles that sometimes work, and sometimes don’t. Smalling reads the game much better. He does resort to grabbing opponents regularly, but that’s mostly in set pieces and to gain better position when competing for headers. Most good defenders do that, as they know they can get away with it.

NoPace

Smalling has his limitations but he should be our #3 CB behind Bailly and whoever is signed to start, with Lindelof #4 and one of Rojo, Jones or Blind around as #5 and the other 2 sold.

As for England, I can see why he wouldn't start, but if England make the QF they're not going to be able to keep the ball anyways so I'd have brought him.

Loublaze

ATLien

Many CBs do this week in week out in the PL but obviously Smalling will be called out for it more because United is scrutinized more than any other club on earth. Rojo does it often and Cahill did it to Smalling in the FA cup final twice but I doubt he got called on it. Reading of the game has more to do with anticipation and awareness than shirt grabbing during set pieces IMO and Smalling has bested his fellow United CBs in blocks and interceptions this season according to Squawka. You never see Smalling lunging into desperate challenges like Jones and Rojo regularly do

Distracted Steward

Jones is the one who reads the game poorly, and ends up trying desperate tackles that sometimes work, and sometimes don’t. Smalling reads the game much better. He does resort to grabbing opponents regularly, but that’s mostly in set pieces and to gain better position when competing for headers. Most good defenders do that, as they know they can get away with it.
Keep your eye on him next year—if he’s still here as I suspect he’ll be. He’s night and day different deep versus higher up. Deep with it all in front of him he sees more and reads better. Further up these things drop off drastically for Mike. He loses track of people and fails to pick out runners with alarming regularity compared to how he is otherwise. For me Jones does better at this higher up than Smalling does. Jones seems to look around more.

Regardless, I could see either leave at this point. I don’t know why I’m splitting hairs when the first one Woodward could sell would be the one I’d like moved on.

Andersons Dietician

Keep your eye on him next year—if he’s still here as I suspect he’ll be. He’s night and day different deep versus higher up. Deep with it all in front of him he sees more and reads better. Further up these things drop off drastically for Mike. He loses track of people and fails to pick out runners with alarming regularity compared to how he is otherwise. For me Jones does better at this higher up than Smalling does. Jones seems to look around more.

Regardless, I could see either leave at this point. I don’t know why I’m splitting hairs when the first one Woodward could sell would be the one I’d like moved on.
I don’t really agree with what you’re saying at all as when we played with a high line under LVG he was great at matching runs and stopping the danger before it even happened. Even this year he has stopped many a run. Do you have examples? I’m sure there are probably 1 or 2 bound to be in a long season but for me he has always been the best one out of our CB’s at that. I even remember a game against Pool where he had to babysit Evans who was having a shocker and letting men run off him and Smalling was the one dealing with it. Even the at the weekend vs Hazard he matched a few of his runs or had dropped off when he saw him beat Jones to get in position to stop him.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I don’t really agree with what you’re saying at all as when we played with a high line under LVG he was great at matching runs and stopping the danger before it even happened. Even this year he has stopped many a run. Do you have examples? I’m sure there are probably 1 or 2 bound to be in a long season but for me he has always been the best one out of our CB’s at that. I even remember a game against Pool where he had to babysit Evans who was having a shocker and letting men run off him and Smalling was the one dealing with it. Even the at the weekend vs Hazard he matched a few of his runs or had dropped off when he saw him beat Jones to get in position to stop him.
Yeah. What he is saying isn't factual. I would like to know tho @Distracted Steward which single game you watched when that was the case, and you decided that is what you're going to run with forever. Im sure you have a legitimate reason for coming up with this view, but i'd argue against the number of games you have collected this data from honestly. And as said in the post i quoted, Smalling is doing the majority of work which involves stopping danger before it even happens, maybe that is why a lot of people aren't even recognising it. If he was positioning himself right, anticipating correctly and followed a run so early nothing dangerous happened, would you even notice? Based on your view of him, I doubt it.

Bailly, Jones and Rojo all have those last ditch tackles and all have been praised more than Smalling when in good form. To me it is a bit annoying

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He really doesnt struggle to make the simplest of passes. Its just he doesnt try anything but that often at all.
To be fair, even I (one of his biggest fans) get annoyed with his passing sometimes. It's not so much that he gives the ball away (he doesn't), but he almost never passes the ball in front of the player to allow them to move onto it. Almost every pass goes directly to the player or behind them, meaning every single person he passes to has to stop, wait for the ball to get to him and then start moving forward again. It's fine most of the time, but every match there will be a few times where he really slows our play down because the player who was in acres of space (normally our fullbacks) can't actually attack it because they've had to check their run.

It's the one thing I really wish he'd improve. Not so much his range of passing or his choice of who to pass it to, but to make the same pass with just a bit more quality to help the receiver get on the front foot where available.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches

We played a high line all through LVG's last season and that is considered one of Smalling's personal best.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
He just RT’d the united fixture list with a, ‘can’t wait’ comment. I can if you’re going to be staring Chris.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Bumping the thread just to slag off Smalling. Great contribution.
Why would anyone not want Smalling here when he's been our best defender for ages. Jones drops a howler every few games and is made of glass, Bailly has been horrible since his ankle injury, Lindelof plays like he's scared, Rojo doesnt even play.

All 3 United

Why would anyone not want Smalling here when he's been our best defender for ages. Jones drops a howler every few games and is made of glass, Bailly has been horrible since his ankle injury, Lindelof plays like he's scared, Rojo doesnt even play.
Erm. Maybe because all our cbs are crap!?!

All 3 United

Oh yes, let's ship off 5 centre backs and get 5 new ones in. That'll work out well won't it.
If we want to compete with city give or take bailly and Jones (yes he’s in the wc squad and will probably start) then that’s exactly what we should do.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
If we want to compete with city give or take bailly and Jones (yes he’s in the wc squad and will probably start) then that’s exactly what we should do.
You want to keep Jones and not Smalling :lol:

He spends more time on the treatment table than playing!

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

The replies to that tweet are pathetic. How anyone can watch us last season and think our other centre backs are better is beyond me.

All 3 United

You want to keep Jones and not Smalling :lol:

He spends more time on the treatment table than playing!
Smalling has had his fair share of injuries in the past.

I’m not saying that Gareth Southgate is a world class manager or anything but I’d imagine he knows better than most on here. Jones hasn’t just sneaked in just ahead of Smalling, if he starts, he’s basically 2 or 3 players ahead of Smalling!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

The replies to that tweet are pathetic. How anyone can watch us last season and think our other centre backs are better is beyond me.
People love to either overrate or colossally underrate our players.
Smalling was ludicrously hyped under Van Gaal, and is now scandalously underrated.
He's by far our best header, he's quick, he's excellent one to one. And he seems to have got through his injury troubles unlike the rest.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Erm. Maybe because all our cbs are crap!?!
All our cbs are crap, full backs are too, attackers aren't effective, Jose is past it, Pogba overrated... yet we're still 2nd..somehow.

Out of interest, how have you lasted 5,000 posts

All 3 United

All our cbs are crap, full backs are too, attackers aren't effective, Jose is past it, Pogba overrated... yet we're still 2nd..somehow.
Nope, Jose is the best manager available our attackers are in the main world class but we have to play defensively because our defenders are crap.... it’s not rocket science and every manager since saf has had to do the same.

All 3 United

If you dont want to support our club and all the players who play for it, why dont you block the club?

If you think you are a supporter you are mistaken.
Right. I’m not allowed not to rate a player. Bye!

Ekeke

Right. I’m not allowed not to rate a player. Bye!
You didnt say you don't rate a player. You bumped this thread to make a toxic comment about one of our players.

I don't rate Fellaini as anything other than an occasional goalthreat, but if I bump his thread to make a joke at his expense I'm going to look like an asshole who doesn't support the players who play for the club I'm supposed to support.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I don't know what Bailly has done to earn this cloak of invincibility. He's had a season to forget with a number of seriously poor games either side of the injury, but he's somehow untouchable, despite being able to barely header the ball. Smalling plays nearly every game, plays rather well for the most part, and most importantly he's been incredibly reliable, but he's first on the chopping block.

I think he could be improved on if we paid big money for a proven defender, but that shouldn't cast him out of the team either just push him down the pecking order, with the others making way. Right now he's above Bailly on both performance and reliability, and it's not even close. Even Lindelof had a better season, but no matter what, it's always Bailly+1.

Status
Not open for further replies.