Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I like smalling but I absolutely hate him as the middle CB. He is surely only used there for his height - provides us no stability on the ball whatsoever. He should be at at RCB.
It's not just his height. He's also our best pure defender, as he showed again tonight. Let the two guys on each side of him do most of the playing out of the back.

I think Smalling is going to be the big winner if we do play 3-5-2 quite often throughout this season. It takes the pressure off his biggest weakness (his passing ability under pressure), both by giving him more options and also making it harder for the opposition to press him. Even tonight against this Real Madrid team he looked more comfortable on the ball than he normally does.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
2 minutes in, Bale almost scored from a ball that travelled 40 yards. Ball watching, low footballing IQ
I flicked on from 13 mins but saw him cover up defender mistakes well. Our conceded goals had nothing to do with him, he was there to have a couple of last ditch tackles that would have easily led to goals, Bale one and Asencio I think was the other.

When you're playing the best in the world, your centre halves will make errors. It's about minimising them, which he did. He also covered other messes too, and was generally a strong player to have in the back line.

ZDwyr

Thought his second-half was a lot better. Probably wasn't helped that our midfield got dominated pretty badly in the first though.

Paul_Scholes18

These qualities will never trump being a good defender first.

And also his passing accuracy is very high, Jones passes the ball sideways & backwards more than he does, but he makes the odd maurauding run.
Rojo lumps it forward the most out of our CB's, and Bailly is most comfortable with the ball.
However, Smalling had 2 assists last year, more than any of our CB's, one of which was a sublime through ball to Mhiki I think it was.

I would agree if he was more composed he would be ideal, but I think this is made more out of because he looks like a goof, and is lanky & awkward.
Yes people like to blame Smalling more than he deserve. He is not great at the ball, but not as bad as many claim.

Very good today. Still think we should start with Bailly and Jones. Central defense is clearly our strongest position now. I find it strange though we have bought a central defender while not got a winger though which is something we much need.

Home&Away

It's not just his height. He's also our best pure defender, as he showed again tonight. Let the two guys on each side of him do most of the playing out of the back.

I think Smalling is going to be the big winner if we do play 3-5-2 quite often throughout this season. It takes the pressure off his biggest weakness (his passing ability under pressure), both by giving him more options and also making it harder for the opposition to press him. Even tonight against this Real Madrid team he looked more comfortable on the ball than he normally does.
I understand what you are saying but in my opinion a single ball playing CB in the centre can do as much of a job than 2 ball playing defenders by either side of a robust defender.

Have you see how many times we pass the ball around in defence - we need a player to bring the ball forward. Saying that; I don't think we need two.

Smalling showed in the season with Blind that he works better with a ball playing defender as you said.

You look at chelsea, Italy any team playing 3 at the back & they have a ball playing CB right in the centre; it negates the need to have 2 ball playing CB's by having one in the centre covered by 2 defenders who defend as they would do in a back four.

I said this today in the blind thread - a bit of a non story but him being played at LCB instead of central CB is making both our defense and offense lopsided. If he played centrally; lindelof/Bailey & smalling could play around him as they do in a back four all the whilst blind brings the ball forward. He can join with matic in DM from a central position; allowing both our wing backs and midfielders ability to push up.

How can he or any other ball playing CB do that if he is the only one being played at LCB?

Bailey - ball playing CB- smalling
Is better than
Ball playing CB - smalling - ball playing CB

In a central position the ball playing CB gets guarded and is in a central position to shift the ball to the right or left.

It's not that the 352 is rubbish; apart from the lack of transfers - José is way to defensive with an already defensive formation.

Paul_Scholes18

I think the more people have been saying it on here, I think people are starting to believe he is rubbish or whatever. Always been a top defender, just doesn't quite have the touch of Zidane.
Jepp. Under SAF he didn't often play as we had Vidic, Ferdinand, Evans and Jones the last year he was there. Usually did play well when he did.

Under Moyes he was one of our better defenders often when played as central defender, but he got blamed a lot for us being crap that season. People would blame everything that season. As a right back he was very poor though and he should not play that role.

Then under LVG he played really well apart from a sending off against City that people tend to focus on. Due to our attack being quite shit and not getting goals people would also blame the defense often which never made sense to me.

Last season he was injured a lot early on and didn't really hit top form much. Hopefully he can find his best form this season.

OldTrevil

I watched the second half of the game and he defended very well.

Rossa

He's at his best when he is playing aggressively like he did yesterday. He is good at intercepting and his aerial ability is great. Also, he's still rapid as he didn't give Vasquez nor Bale an inch on a couple of runs. Weird why Smalling didn't mark Bale instead of Lindelof who struggled a few times.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Bailey - ball playing CB- smalling
Is better than
Ball playing CB - smalling - ball playing CB
Is it?

I don't agree that it is. When a back 3 is used effectively, there is usually more of an onus on the two flanking CB's to step up in to the midfield and be ball-players, whilst the central CB stays deeper and is ready to anticipate an interception or a counter attack. Having two players who can step up and pass the ball incisively is better for the team than just having one. Keep Smalling back, who can use his pace to try to stop counter attacks, and let the flanking CBs push further up and be at hand to be involved in possession.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Still scratching my receding hair, of why people still label Smalling as 'mentally weak' player. He's in the last two of the biggest games United had (Europa Final and Super Cup), and has always proved as one of the best CB.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Still scratching my receding hair, of why people still label Smalling as 'mentally weak' player. He's in the last two of the biggest games United had (Europa Final and Super Cup), and has always proved as one of the best CB.
Funny isn't it?

It's probably because he has a resting facial expression that looks like he's terrified all the time. Also because his technique is so bad, the way he moves when he has the ball he looks like he can't wait to get rid of it. :lol:

Member 5225

He's average at best. Those who don't agree have rose tinted glasses on.

If he didn't play for us, would you pray to sign him? Not a chance.

peridigm

Not many choices when everyone else but Blind was suspended. Bailly was suspended for the final as well.

Ashley R1+O

Genuinely confused why he was copping so much shit during the summer, if we play a two he will play next to Eric.

Genuinely confused why he was copping so much shit during the summer, if we play a two he will play next to Eric.
Well it's mainly due to his ability on the ball, when we concede possession against the likes of Madrid there's a strong argument that he's our best pure defender. Unfortunately for him though, in 90% of games we are the team that boss possession and then he hampers us.

Fracture90

Negativity on his account for Madrid game is completely unfounded and uncalled for, he was doing good in that game.

One complaint regarding his overall game outside of usual "poor ball handling and passing" is how despite his size and athleticism he isn't dominant in the air.

Kapardin

He panics like a little girl whenever the ball comes near him. He is also not very good at actual defending, bar the legendary half season under LvG.

His biggest strength however, is that he's a goal scoring CB. Gets himself in the right places to bag a few. 5 goals a season CB, I just wish he was better in other aspects of his game.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Because Jose had had a go at him for not playing through injury, even though he quite literally got injured while playing through an injury. Some people really are that simple. He's easily our best defender.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
He panics like a little girl whenever the ball comes near him. He is also not very good at actual defending, bar the legendary half season under LvG.

His biggest strength however, is that he's a goal scoring CB. Gets himself in the right places to bag a few. 5 goals a season CB, I just wish he was better in other aspects of his game.
How is he not very good at actual defending?
What nonsense is this

Kapardin

How is he not very good at actual defending?
What nonsense is this
I am not going into football semantics of what consitutes defending, but the fact is that he has been mediocre to average for the most part with some good games here and there. That's being overall, not good enough.

Regardless of what we think, he's gonna be here for the season. So if he puts in more consistent performances like he did against Ajax and Madrid, I will be quite happy to be proven wrong. But until then, I will maintain my opinion of him.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I am not going into football semantics of what consitutes defending, but the fact is that he has been mediocre to average for the most part with some good games here and there. That's being overall, not good enough.

Regardless of what we think, he's gonna be here for the season. So if he puts in more consistent performances like he did against Ajax and Madrid, I will be quite happy to be proven wrong. But until then, I will maintain my opinion of him.
You're absolutely entitled to your opinion, I never said you weren't.

I'm entitled to think its nonsense.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He really needs to learn to be a bit subtle with the shirt pulling on set pieces. He's starting to develop a reputation for it and it won't be long before we'll concede a penalty out of it.

Ashley R1+O

Well it's mainly due to his ability on the ball,
Which is a genuinely confusing argument for a defender to start with, due to the fact that as you correctly put it that he is one of our better (if not best) pure defenders. I think Bailly might be a better pound for pound all-round defender. His ability on the ball means absolutely zero if he can defend adequately.

Ah there it is. Rock on brother.

Litch

Has a brainfart or three in him, but on his day he can put in decent perfomances.

Wouldn't sell him. Wouldn't sell any of them. At least this Summer.
Agree. I still don't know our best partner for Bailly and just when you think you know, someone gets injured or does something really stupid.....

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
When Rojo returns, what is he, like 4th choice CB now?
It would depend on form, fitness and suspension, I would assume.

In an ideal world, Jones would remain fit long term, but that doesn't seem likely. Rojo will be coming back from one of the worst injuries a footballer can have and it would be unrealistic to expect him to come back and be immediately back on top form (though he might!). Bailly is excellent, but has a streak of being a bit of a loony, and he is prone to having the odd stinker of a game. Nobody seems to have any idea if Lindelof is actually any good.

In theory, Bailly and Rojo should probably be #1, but lots of circumstances mean that every CB slot is to play for IMO. I predict Smalling will have a sizeable role to play this season, but if Rojo returns strongly, Lindelof proves he is significantly better than he was in pre-season and Jones proves he can remain fit for longer periods, then that might spell the end (or a much reduced role in future) for Smalling.

I hope it proves to be a good problem to have.

Robbie Boy

It would depend on form, fitness and suspension, I would assume.

In an ideal world, Jones would remain fit long term, but that doesn't seem likely. Rojo will be coming back from one of the worst injuries a footballer can have and it would be unrealistic to expect him to come back and be immediately back on top form (though he might!). Bailly is excellent, but has a streak of being a bit of a loony, and he is prone to having the odd stinker of a game. Nobody seems to have any idea if Lindelof is actually any good.

In theory, Bailly and Rojo should probably be #1, but lots of circumstances mean that every CB slot is to play for IMO. I predict Smalling will have a sizeable role to play this season, but if Rojo returns strongly, Lindelof proves he is significantly better than he was in pre-season and Jones proves he can remain fit for longer periods, then that might spell the end (or a much reduced role in future) for Smalling.

I hope it proves to be a good problem to have.
Yup, a-lot will obviously depend on how long it takes Rojo to return to full fitness and if Jones can stay fit. For me, Bailly looks the only automatic starter and Lindelof will obviously take time to settle. With everyone fit and firing, it looks like Smalling will be fourth choice but of course injuries and other circumstances can change that.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Yup, a-lot will obviously depend on how long it takes Rojo to return to full fitness and if Jones can stay fit. For me, Bailly looks the only automatic starter and Lindelof will obviously take time to settle. With everyone fit and firing, it looks like Smalling will be fourth choice but of course injuries and other circumstances can change that.
A lot of depth there, at least. We seem to have had a centre back injury crisis every season since about 2009. Surely it can't happen again this season with 6 centre backs, if you also include Daley Blind.

If all 6 of those get injured/suspended simultaneously, then it will be the most United of things that could possibly happen :lol::nervous:

Man Utd 3:0 Basel

Kostur

海尔的老板
Lindelof, DDG and Blind all had a go at him, he's shying away from making himself available for the pass when other team mates are under pressure, annoying as feck.

Dir Wangem

I still maintain that he's our best defender in the classical sense of the word(minus strong leadership, obviously). It's such a damn shame that he's allergic to the ball. He made 4 completely brain-dead passes today.

I think he should just start giving the ball to the opponent so that he immediately can focus on winning the ball back instead. This "passing" thing seems to be beyond him anyways.

NinjaFletch

Thought it was slightly odd when the captains armband went to Young instead of him today. His decline in status in the squad since Mourinho has arrived has been dramatic and I would not be at all surprised to see him sold next season.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Lindelof, DDG and Blind all had a go at him, he's shying away from making himself available for the pass when other team mates are under pressure, annoying as feck.
He had a good game tbf but it't annoying how he had to adjust he whole body to play a simple pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.