Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

haram

Jose has improved all 3 of the CB's that were here already.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Dominant performance from him. Good game from Lindelof too.

Dir Wangem

Yet another great game.

Still, this was a fairly standard Smalling performance. People in here just lose their minds when he makes a big mistake, which only really happens occassionally and it's rarely game-changing. It's inevitable, and it will happen soon. In the meantime, I'm enjoying his performances.

Bobski

Good solid player who also fills the valuable role of being an easy scapegoat.

BehemothTerror

MOTM for me. Calm and composed at all times and one of the few defenders not skying his clearances straight up into the air today. The CB battle is shaping up nicely. Still think Jones/Bailey deserves to be first choice for the moment though Smalling has done himself great in his appearances this season so should probably be 3rd choice and closest to the first 11 :)

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Yet another great game.

Still, this was a fairly standard Smalling performance. People in here just lose their minds when he makes a big mistake, which only really happens occassionally and it's rarely game-changing. It's inevitable, and it will happen soon. In the meantime, I'm enjoying his performances.
Really not true.

He's not the greatest defender, but all our defenders have their own weaknesses and strengths.

LoneStar

Very solid performance from him. His aerial presence is really something else. We have a nice combination of defenders in our squad. Him and Lindelof played well today.

el3mel

He has been very good so far this season whenever he was called to play.

willhse456

Smalling is a really important player for us when Pogba and Fellaini aren't playing. Adds a lot of aerial power to the team, especially important when we're away from home. MOTM for me.

Paul_Scholes18

His defending was spot on although I would have liked someone with better passing for games like this given that we struggled to break them down. Glad to see Smalling finding good form though.

We have such a strong defense. Shame we don't have the same quality in depth up front.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
He's one of the best around at dealing with arieal stuff, seriously, he has his weaknesses, which have been discussed at length, but as a pure box defender dealing with crosses we're not getting much better than him.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's such a good 1v1 defender, I just wish he was more comfortable on the ball as he looks awkward a lot of the time.

He got some real unfair criticism earlier in the season though, he's head and shoulders over Lindelof right now.

SambaBoy

Very good game from him. I'd keep him around, always a good option to have and is generally reliable.

James Peril

Great game, against a terrible team. The easiest thing to defend against is lofted crosses into the box, without an address. Smalling is ace at it.

Jeffthered

All good Chris Smalling.... as is frequently the case. He was excellent against Liverpool, who have a very decent attacking unit, and did another good job last night. He is a Man Utd man, experienced. He leads by looking after his own game. Mourinho knows his limitations, and knows his strengths. I'm glad we have him.

Walters_19_MuFc

Since he's came in, we've looked just as, if not, more solid than we were with Bailly.

I feel a lot more comfortable at the back with Smalling. He's also a beast in the air.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Since he's came in, we've looked just as, if not, more solid than we were with Bailly.

I feel a lot more comfortable at the back with Smalling. He's also a beast in the air.
I dont think defensively we have a better defender than him, only our offensive transition weakens when he plays. He has gotten back to his normal/reliable form, but I still miss SmallDini.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
We wouldn't conceede first goal either with him on the right side.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Does he know that you're allowed to play the ball in front of a teammate?

I cannot fathom how bad he is with the ball. Much worse than he even used to be.

Zoo

I don’t know why they need to swap sides, Lindelof is more comfortable on the ball.

ti vu

He has a 4.7 match day rating, but he was in truth very good today. Not his fault that Lindelöf was absolutely atrocious.
I don't do rating for this same reason. Can't understand how people see and rate players' performance.

My wild guess is people were upset about Smalling chance at the end (don't expect much from him with his foot).

Overall, he is holding our defense together alone after Jones came off, while similar can be said about Matic. Not great performance as the circumstance didn't allow, but can't be faulted, as he (and Matic) both trying to pull their weights and worked their as cover for other players.

Status
Not open for further replies.