Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Not taking Smalling to the WC is just a gimmick. And a very silly one too

ash_86

Don’t even get me started on this mate. Old parrot nose will massively feck up by not taking him as part of the squad.

Let’s hypothetically say that England are winning one nil in the World Cup final (I know I know :D). There’s ten minutes to go and you want to bring on another cb to shore things up. Smalling is the perfect option for those scenarios. Not taking him would be ludicrous imo.
Totally agree. He expects defenders to play out from back as if it's working :houllier:.

Minimalist

Surely the reason you would play out from the back frequently is because you have a top quality midfield?

England don't fcuking have that.

Really doesn't make sense that logic.

ti vu

Surely the reason you would play out from the back frequently is because you have a top quality midfield?

England don't fcuking have that.

Really doesn't make sense that logic.
Not just midfield, but the entire back, Gk beside

But well, England have all these cool players from PL big clubs so we're good...

U99ted

Defence not to blame. 1 goal shouldn't be enough to get 3 points from Manchester United.

Ashley R1+O

Future is bright. Smalling + Bailly/Lindelof next season and beyond. His age will carry Bailly and Lindelof through and even give TFM/Tuanzebe some buffer years to mature and supplement the defensive unit. Two fullback additions next year and we are good to go. Can't wait.

King Eric 7

Well done Smalling. Our CB of the season. Another decent performance when all around him were utter garbage.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
A physical tussle against Murray is what Smalling is made for tbf

Oldyella

Did as well as could be expected with the rest of the defence playing like they were.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Fan of his but the 90 degree shuffle thing he does before passing is hilarious.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Compare him to someone like Vertonghen or Van Dijk and he is miles behind. Central defenders have to be somewhat capable of playing out from the back. Smalling is incapable of this, he has to line up the ball when he kicks it and always has to look at the ball when he distributes it.
You think Van Djik is leaving Smalling miles behind as a defender? Then it really isn't a lot to discuss. He was better than Van Djik when he was at Celtic, and he still is. What has he done, except earning himself a move to Liverpool? He hasn't even proved anything there yet.
You either overrate those guys and their abilities on the ball, or you underrate Smalling. Like you can't win the big trophies now unless you have Van Djik instead of Smalling in defence, that'll make the difference:houllier:

Frank Grimes

You think Van Djik is leaving Smalling miles behind as a defender? Then it really isn't a lot to discuss. He was better than Van Djik when he was at Celtic, and he still is. What has he done, except earning himself a move to Liverpool? He hasn't even proved anything there yet.
You either overrate those guys and their abilities on the ball, or you underrate Smalling. Like you can't win the big trophies now unless you have Van Djik instead of Smalling in defence, that'll make the difference:houllier:
VVD is a vastly superior defender than Smalling. Smalling has probably got a hotter missus though tbf.

binary bot
He's fine defensively. His deficiencies on the ball are accentuated by our criminally limited full backs.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
VVD is a vastly superior defender than Smalling. Smalling has probably got a hotter missus though tbf.
I have followed them both since they were young and i strongly disagree. On all things except vision, passing and general on the ball ability, Smalling is either a lot or a bit better. Both about as good in the air.

It's not a lot between them because I agree composure with the ball is important, but the importance of creative passing is also overstated, they are defenders. Van Djik has still issues with concentration, organising, marking. Smalling is a bit better 1vs1 too.

Frank Grimes

I have followed them both since they were young and i strongly disagree. On all things except vision, passing and general on the ball ability, Smalling is either a lot or a bit better. Both about as good in the air.

It's not a lot between them because I agree composure with the ball is important, but the importance of creative passing is also overstated, they are defenders. Van Djik has still issues with concentration, organising, marking. Smalling is a bit better 1vs1 too.
Disagree, VVD is a much better, not even close imo. Raging when Liverpool got VVD, get a decent partner beside him and a decent keeper they will be city's biggest threat in the coming years.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Disagree, VVD is a much better, not even close imo. Raging when Liverpool got VVD, get a decent partner beside him and a decent keeper they will be city's biggest threat in the coming years.
Allright. I'll throw you a curveball. Would Smalling-Van Djik be good enough as our CB's in a CL hunt?

Red_toad

As improved since his mid season disaster form. Still a very average player who will never be good enough to win the big prizes with.
He already has won the big prizes. For a 'very average player' he got an awful lot of medals. Nice to see your opinion is more accurate than actual facts.

Swift Football

Fan of his but the 90 degree shuffle thing he does before passing is hilarious.
Yeah I find it funny too. It is as if he cannot make a simple pass if he does not turn 90 degree. Just turn the leg, no need to turn the whole body.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Don't be ridiculous- VVD is streets ahead of Smalling.

Smalling is like a very good lower division defender.

Canagel

Why can't he tackle without grappling and tussling with players? The real top class defenders anticipate the danger before it arrives and are in the right place at the right time to snuff it out. Smalling is always reacting and very last ditch. And if he doesn't win the initial challenge he needs to stop getting touch tight and take a step back instead of conceding the foul. The very best defenders don't get themselves involved in battles like Smalling does. They defend the space and not the man. Young is also guilty of this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.