Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loublaze

ATLien
Missing out on the world cup will ensure he keeps his place in the starting 11 when the season begins. Good for Chris!

manunited1919

We dont need a "ballplaying CB" as long as Mourinho is manager. We will play with an extremely low and tight back-four again this year. We will not be playing "between the lines" from the CB-position. The DMs will be responsible for circulating the play in the second phase. As Mourinho always plays. I dont get why people think that getting new players will change the way that Mourinho always has played. I really dont get it.

We will again invite a lot of crosses and shots from outside and truth to be told; playing like that Smalling is one of the best defenders in the PL. In Mourinhos system.

Smalling would of course never get near a Guardiola-team. On the other hand Laporte or Stones would not get near a Mourinho-team either.

And to be clear: I dont like the way Mourinho sets up his teams. I would like another manager long term. But now he is the manager and as long as he stays he needs to be allowed play the way that has brought him success. Which means that Smalling plays. And especially if Fred gets playing time. Fred at 169 cm will severely diminish our defensive block in the air. No way that Mourinho leaves Smalling out of the team then.
Excellent post!

haram

If you look at the CB’s Mourinho has signed and used at every club, you would notice the players are comfortable on the ball...

Johan07

You mean like when Mourinho spent an entire summer trying to buy him when he was still managing Chelsea?
Luke Shaw says hi. You could say the same for him. Look how that has turned out...

No, I was obviously being a bit hyperbolic to make my point. No one knows how Stones would have turned out if Mourinho got his hands on him earlier in his career. For someone that watched all of this years WC on Russian TV with Mourinho as pundit I will say this though: He didnt love Stones and Kyle Walker as centerbacks playing the way they do... Its just how he is.

Johan07

I have not made that argument. However, Mourinho have had CBs able to deal with high pressing teams without just clearing/hoofing the bal, but being able to play a constructive pass forward once in a while. They did certainly not try to create triangles, but they were able to find a player (often the centre forward) on the other half of the pitch and do it with precision. Terry and Carvalho did not always pass the ball to Mikel/Makelele. He has always appreciated players able to bring the ball forward quickly.

Being able to play a pass more than 10 meters in lenght direction will not entail risk of losing balance.
Yeah, I actually agree and I didnt mean to overinterpret your post. I was talking about the basics of Mourinhos system.

Its completely true that Mourinhos CBs are allowed and maybe even encouraged to play in the CF, No9 or whatever you want to call Lukaku. As long as the CMS are on the "right" side of the first pressing line. Its one of Mourinhos axioms that IMO; to try to find the No9 as early as possible. Its different than building play via midfield though.

That said I would place as much blame on Lukakus feet as on our CBs, DMs or whoever for this not working, especially the first half of last season. The ball bounced off Lukaku as he was an old 80s pinball game and I dont believe that was just because of lack of quality passing forward.

He did step his hold-up play up tremendously in the second part of the season and it looked good in the WC as well. I think that improving that even more is essential for Mourinhos gameplan to work. More than who we have as CBs.

Johan07

Yes it’s up there with combining coke and pop rocks leads to death. It’s becoming really boring. Of course there are times he does tug a shirt but show me one defender that doesn’t. They all do it. He’s no where near as bad as people make out. I’m actually struggiling to recall any serious pulls from last season. Sure there is probably 1 or 2. Anyone able to point me in the direction of where he was punished for shirt pulling over the last year maybe 3 even.

I can picture one where he was absolutely done by someone and he tugged him back but it was only a free kick and a yellow. Can’t recall what game it was.
Yeah, I agree with this. Its become one of those tiresome narratives up there with "Fellainis elbows" and "Rojos rash tackling". When both of the latter ones also has cut down on that part of their games.

What Smalling is doing is nothing compared to Colombias wrestling approach or whatever Lovren is upto as soon he sets foot on a pitch. Smalling is getting way too much crap for this.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Yeah, I actually agree and I didnt mean to overinterpret your post. I was talking about the basics of Mourinhos system.

Its completely true that Mourinhos CBs are allowed and maybe even encouraged to play in the CF, No9 or whatever you want to call Lukaku. As long as the CMS are on the "right" side of the first pressing line. Its one of Mourinhos axioms that IMO; to try to find the No9 as early as possible. Its different than building play via midfield though.

That said I would place as much blame on Lukakus feet as on our CBs, DMs or whoever for this not working, especially the first half of last season. The ball bounced off Lukaku as he was an old 80s pinball game and I dont believe that was just because of lack of quality passing forward.

He did step his hold-up play up tremendously in the second part of the season and it looked good in the WC as well. I think that improving that even more is essential for Mourinhos gameplan to work. More than who we have as CBs.
I understand. Dont worry about it.

Lukakus hold up play is horrible. Facing his own goal he is less than average. So maybe we need players who is able to play a more difficult pass; a lower ball in behind the oppositions defence?

I think Lukaku is great facing the oppositions goal. Furthermore, many teams press high, and there is a lot of space in behind their defence. The Spurs defenders looked confident when they could challenge Lukaku for the long ball when he was facing his own goal, just giving him enough contact to make a poor first touch even worse. Let us see how they cope if they have to chase him for good passes in behind.

And I do not think Smallig, Jones or Rojo will be able to play those passes. Toby and Maguire? Certainly Toby would.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I understand. Dont worry about it.

Lukakus hold up play is horrible. Facing his own goal he is less than average. So maybe we need players who is able to play a more difficult pass; a lower ball in behind the oppositions defence?

I think Lukaku is great facing the oppositions goal. Furthermore, many teams press high, and there is a lot of space in behind their defence. The Spurs defenders looked confident when they could challenge Lukaku for the long ball when he was facing his own goal, just giving him enough contact to make a poor first touch even worse. Let us see how they cope if they have to chase him for good passes in behind.

And I do not think Smallig, Jones or Rojo will be able to play those passes. Toby and Maguire? Certainly Toby would.
Lukaku isn’t a long ball player, at all. Never has been, and that isn’t what has made him excel.
Also the idea that he can’t play with his back to goal is false too, if anything that allows him to use his strength to overpower any defender, it allows him to control the ball and roll the defender quite easily. He especially used to do this often for Everton, unfortunately we didn’t play to those strengths last season.

The long pass over the top is possibly an option too, but frankly he operates best when he receives the ball to feet when he’s on the last shoulder of the defence. Whether back to goal, or running in behind on the receiving end of a quick pass.
That’s what we saw at the World Cup; him, hazard, KDB & Meunier playing triangular through balls to feet.

So this idea that getting someone like Toby to spray passes to Lukaku isn’t what’s going to happen, Toby didn’t even do that for him at the WC.
Sure, Toby would whip pretty crosses to hazard and start play from there - but we have Pogba in midfield, so why would we just bypass him as part of our build up play?

Twice he's sold his teammates short now. First Bailly's header and now Tuanzebe's runner. Forget the ball playing skills, as a defender he just has no concept of what is happening around him. As the senior defender in our back line he should have been aware and commanding both of them.

MAME DIOUF 32

If referees behave the same way as they did during the World Cup around set pieces, Smalling becomes a total liability overnight.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
If referees behave the same way as they did during the World Cup around set pieces, Smalling becomes a total liability overnight.
I've seen a few people say this and I don't get it.

Of the penalties that were given, there was one soft one latter in the tournament, but otherwise the rest were all ridiculously over-the-top fouls, far worse than Smalling ever does. And there were many, many others that were also significantly worse than his grabbing which the referee and VAR didn't care about.

Now if that one soft one goes on to become the norm, he might have a problem. But as of now that seemed to be a definite outlier, and taking the rest of the World Cup as a whole he won't have anything to worry about. Let alone become 'a total liability'.

Bobski

Smalling has conceded one penalty for shirt pulling in his entire Utd career, away to Newcastle, as far as I can remember. As ever the issue is absurdly overblown. Are players incapable of adapting to changes in how the game is officiated? If he starts to get pens given against him why could he not stop doing it, as is it there has been little motivation for him to do so.

Every CB pulls and grapples at set pieces, but it is Smalling and people hate him, partly for his aesthetics, partly because of the contempt that familiarity brings.

SteveW

Smalling has conceded one penalty for shirt pulling in his entire Utd career, away to Newcastle, as far as I can remember. As ever the issue is absurdly overblown. Are players incapable of adapting to changes in how the game is officiated? If he starts to get pens given against him why could he not stop doing it, as is it there has been little motivation for him to do so.

Every CB pulls and grapples at set pieces, but it is Smalling and people hate him, partly for his aesthetics, partly because of the contempt that familiarity brings.
This. Of course he would be able to adapt if officiating changes. This is obvious. So obvious that it shouldn't even need to be said. The most basic level of obviousness imaginable. Yet you still needed to say it.
It's amazing what player dislike can do to a person's cognitive ability. It's almost worrying.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

True. Here's Paolo Montero

Would people say no to a young Montero? because based on what he did on his career, he'd get red-carded every game in nowadays rule.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
True. Here's Paolo Montero

Would people say no to a young Montero? because based on what he did on his career, he'd get red-carded every game in nowadays rule.
That was pretty crazy. I wouldn't want that guy in the team. Smalling isn't like that or anything, he is a very clean defender, he's just though physically.

Another myth about Smalling is that he isn't very vocal or communicate well, which is obviously horseshit. His infamous pussy voice is heard all over the pitch, even through the telly

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
That was pretty crazy. I wouldn't want that guy in the team. Smalling isn't like that or anything, he is a very clean defender, he's just though physically.

Another myth about Smalling is that he isn't very vocal or communicate well, which is obviously horseshit. His infamous pussy voice is heard all over the pitch, even through the telly
You don't want a young Paolo Montero? I wish Smalling has his aggressiveness.

ti vu

And we heard Jones is on the way back to the rescue. :lol:

Every fecking season this injury curse with our defenders... :(

DownRiver

I am physically sick every time I watch this.

Let's not forget his key mistakes and own goals. He needs to leave.

Bwuk

I am physically sick every time I watch this.

Let's not forget his key mistakes and own goals. He needs to leave.
Exactly. You see there how deep Matic, Mata and Fellaini are coming to get the ball because our defence can't play it forward.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Decent defender but you kid yourself of you don't think he hurts us in possession.

Member 5225

Tears of joy if he moves.

No other tier 1 club of world football would want him. Unbelievabley overrated!

C'est Moi Cantona

Smalling has never been good enough for us, and I'll happily see him go, but we have bigger issues this summer, so it's rather alarming that all the talk atm is about CB's.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Our Gk is shit in passing. I'm sick of seeing missed-kick after missed-kick, easily giving away possession to opponent. Maybe we should get rid of him, too. *sarcasm*

Alabaster Codify7

Smalling would be a fantastic back-up CB option. Selling him before Jones is madness, absolute madness. If we replace him with say, Mina, we're downgrading. Maguire would be a like for like, to be honest, so no upgrade.

If we bought Alderweireld and Maguire, then we might be talking a genuine upgrade on our CB options.

redpatron

Tears of joy if he moves.

No other tier 1 club of world football would want him. Unbelievabley overrated!
amen brother. i subscribed just so i can read all the ridiculous comments from the Smalling fanboys in the next coming days. Going to be like a high school funeral, can't wait.

Missing out on the world cup will ensure he keeps his place in the starting 11 when the season begins. Good for Chris!
:lol::lol::lol:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Smalling would be a fantastic back-up CB option. Selling him before Jones is madness, absolute madness. If we replace him with say, Mina, we're downgrading. Maguire would be a like for like, to be honest, so no upgrade.

If we bought Alderweireld and Maguire, then we might be talking a genuine upgrade on our CB options.
Maguire is definitely an upgrade on Smalling, mainly because he can actually play football. Smalling is a pure defender, but lord knows he can't do anything with the ball. It hurts us. I don't have a problem keeping him as a backup.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Selling our most consistent centre back from last season before Jones and Rojo would be silly imo.

jmaggio

For me, Smalling is an example of a decent defender, with decent positioning and tackling ability, hindered by an absolutely awful on the ball ability. Unfortunately these days you have to be confident on the ball to be a top level defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.