Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morpheus 7

Is Mike going to get better, maybe that's the real question? I personally want rid of both the chuckle brothers. Smalling is a terrible leader, passes the responsibility on every time. Creates a nervousness in the backline, he shouldn't be starting for us. Back up fine but not majority of games. The central defender's we brought in have struggled to build a partnership with him. It's always been about a pairing in that position for me, they need to be on the save wave length otherwise mistakes creep in.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Selling our most consistent centre back from last season before Jones and Rojo would be silly imo.
We are not selling him. Rojo is first. Then maybe Jones. Smalling no chance this summer
This. I like him, but he can be improved upon. He's been our best centre back for a number of years, despite his limitations. Rojo and Jones surely have to go before him. Both are perennially injured, and not particularly good when they do play.

Smalling would make a better rotation option than Jones or Rojo, considering that he's fit most of the time unlike the latter two.

Litch

As poor as he might be at times, there is a list of players here that are worse. Also must admit must be hard playing CB here as you rarely play with the same partner twice....

Ekeke

Exactly. You see there how deep Matic, Mata and Fellaini are coming to get the ball because our defence can't play it forward.
You mean because Matic does that regardless of who we have in defense? Including when Lindelof played and hes more comfortable on the ball.

That clip showed that Smalling played a short pass. It did not show that 3 players needed to be where they were.

Ekeke

Imagine being the best player in your position at a huge club, giving 100% and covering for other players mistakes. Having far more asked of you than is reasonable for 1 player.

And then a load of your clubs fans talking shit about you and blaming you for everything under the sun.

Most of us probably think footballers are lucky. For Chris Smalling I'm not sure thats true.

Johan07

Exactly. You see there how deep Matic, Mata and Fellaini are coming to get the ball because our defence can't play it forward.
Are you serious about this? Smalling plays it to first station. Its Mourinho 101. He is supposed to do exactly this. And the DMs are supposed to pick up the ball from the CBs. It has nothing to do with playmaking abilities of our CBs. You could put Xavi and Iniesta as CBs for us and Mourinho would tell them to give the ball to first station ASAP and focus on protecting spaces behind in case of a turnover.

Do you really think that this is due to ineptitude on Smallings part (which might exist, thats another thing)? Or might it just be what he is instructed to do? Which is why he keeps playing btw....

Reactions: sizzling sausages

stevoc

If we sold Smalling before Jones or Rojo i would genuinely start to question the competence of the manager and the board running this club.

James Peril

Selling our most reliable CB before useless gits like Jones and Rojo, would be ridiculous.
Imagine if all fans were as irrational as you... Bailly has been awesome for us, form ruined by tedious injuries, he will turn good. At times last season he was a rock, no reason he won’t turn out like that next season.

gza the genius

Imagine if all fans were as irrational as you... Bailly has been awesome for us, form ruined by tedious injuries, he will turn good. At times last season he was a rock, no reason he won’t turn out like that next season.
Okay so even if that were true, you'd still advocate selling our second best (still the most reliable in terms of injuries) center back?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Irrational?

Bailly has been awesome for us at times. Then been absolutely terrible a few weeks later. It's not just injuries that have done it, even when he's had a run of games he's invariably been very inconsistent. The first three or so months of his first season is still the best he's played for us, and his form was already trailing off then before he started picking up injuries. I do have high hopes for him in the future, but so far he has been the absolute opposite of reliable. Obviously the injuries haven't helped that.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
have i missed something? Are we selling him?
They're rumours he's off to Wolves. Skeptical myself and a bit disappointed if he's going before Jones and Rojo.

If this is true, it's probably because he's gathering interest whereas Jones isn't.

Red_Ramirez

I'd be surprised and disappointed if he leaves

He was BY FAR our best centre back last season.

arnie_ni

They're rumours he's off to Wolves. Skeptical myself and a bit disappointed if he's going before Jones and Rojo.

If this is true, it's probably because he's gathering interest whereas Jones isn't.
Twitter rumours or what? Theres nothing in this thread that i can see unless they were deleted?

Think itd be idiotic to sell him. Reckon jose had him as the 3rd or 4th name on the teamsheet all last season.

No way he sells him. If we buy a cb its to partner smalling, not replace him imo

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

How can anyone believe that? :lol:

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Twitter rumours or what? Theres nothing in this thread that i can see unless they were deleted?
Some guy on Reddit who called Moutinho to Wolves before it happened.

3KDré

I'd sell Smalling, Jones and Rojo if we gave more time to Tuanzebe, Lindelof and hopefully Alderweireld.

SillyUsername

Is Mike going to get better, maybe that's the real question?
He hasn't been Mike in over 2 years. When LVG called him Mike, it got into Smalling's head and he started to genuinely believe that he was in fact Mike and forgot everything that was holding Chris back. Trouble is, when the vultures started circulating for LVG, Smalling began to question everything.

Chris began to rear his ugly head again in the FA cup semi final with a calamitous own goal. Chris was then determined to rid himself of Mike once and for all in the final when he tried, and failed, to get sent off in the first half, so he made sure he got it right in extra time.

MadMike

I don't think Wolves have £80m to spend on a CB so I doubt this is happening

arthurka

Hahaha we are not selling our only CB that can play 30+ games a season to a certain level. Rojo and Jones need to be moved first. He is our only CB who can actually head a ball .

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Are you serious about this? Smalling plays it to first station. Its Mourinho 101. He is supposed to do exactly this. And the DMs are supposed to pick up the ball from the CBs. It has nothing to do with playmaking abilities of our CBs. You could put Xavi and Iniesta as CBs for us and Mourinho would tell them to give the ball to first station ASAP and focus on protecting spaces behind in case of a turnover.

Do you really think that this is due to ineptitude on Smallings part (which might exist, thats another thing)? Or might it just be what he is instructed to do? Which is why he keeps playing btw....
He's instructed to do it because Mourinho isn't an idiot that would try to turn Smalling into a good passer.

When Rojo, Lindeloff and Bailly play they regularly try to find the forwards with their passing.

You comment about Xavi and Iniesta is clear ignorance as Mourinho has built the play with centre backs whenever he has them available. He is not someone that is so dogmatic to try to force passing from the back or vice versa. He adapts to the personnel available

Gopher Brown

Bearing in mind we haven’t signed anyone yet, who do those advocating for Smalling to leave suggest should be our first choice CB partnership next year? Remembering that Jones and Bailly have obvious injury problems, and Rojo might also be off.

Ekeke

When Rojo, Lindeloff and Bailly play they regularly try to find the forwards with their passing.
No, we did exactly the same thing without Smalling playing and with Lindelof in the team. Matic came deep to pickup the ball because Matic wants to come deep and pick up the ball and get lots of touches. It wouldnt matter if we had Maldini and Baresi in the backline.

Loublaze

ATLien
amen brother. i subscribed just so i can read all the ridiculous comments from the Smalling fanboys in the next coming days. Going to be like a high school funeral, can't wait.

:lol::lol::lol:
Did you laugh your ass off every time he started games last season or did you cry? First name on the team sheet!

Last edited:

flappyjay

He's instructed to do it because Mourinho isn't an idiot that would try to turn Smalling into a good passer.

You comment about Xavi and Iniesta is clear ignorance as Mourinho has built the play with centre backs whenever he has them available. He is not someone that is so dogmatic to try to force passing from the back or vice versa. He adapts to the personnel available
Where does this idea come from that he is a good passer. 8 times out of 10 he is hoofing it

Status
Not open for further replies.