Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

Its funny how Smalling and Jones have their reputation as CBs who just defend but can't play or pass the ball and are to blame for us not passing forward. Meanwhile Lindelof has a reputation for his passing. Some people I've seen even suggest Bailly is our best or one of our best passers.

But the truth is Jones and Smalling pass forward the most and Lindelof passes back the most

manunited1919

Chris Smalling reminds me of Donald Trump. They have so much in common.

1. How they got key positions in the biggest institutions of the world will always be a mystery.
2. They're both not fit for the position.
3. They both have a bunch of misguided deluded followers who think they're the best thing ever.
4. No matter what they do, you can't say a bad word about them without their followers jumping down your throat.
5. They're a laughing stock to the rest of the free world.
6. They're an embarrassment to their respective organisations.
6. They wouldn't get a top position in any other major organisation (well Trump might, I guess).
7. Doesn't look like we'll ever be shot of them any time soon.
8. They both make me want to hurt somebody!

I could go on.
You are absolutely right, he does remind us all of Donald Trump, but not for the reasons you suggest. The true reason they are similar is that they both are hated with intensity by some people with loud voices.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
If all this was a run of a few games you could argue its the team, it's the opposition we play etc, but when its a consistent trend over multiple years? He is a great 1v1 defender, but the way we have to play to accommodate his shortcomings? It kills our ability to control games.
It is a believable argument because of the stats in there, but it is oversimplifying things to the point it completely ignores the need for a midfield capable of controlling games. It sounds like we have a perfect squad and Smalling is the one holding it back, when in fact we'd have been in big trouble if we didn't depend on Smalling saving us defensively these last years.

Schneiderlin, Bastian, Rooney, Di Maria in midfield. Before that even worse. Matic, Herrera and Pogba have helped a bit but we've seen games where Smalling has not played and we've had the exact same problems we do with Chris in the team. Our midfield is capable on form and it simply isn't a huge problem against weaker teams, but against the tougher teams it is and that is what the statistics prove, and has little to do with Chris. Two Lindelofs in a tough game where our midfield struggle to move and get the ball would not be sustainable.

It is a believable argument because of the stats in there, but it is oversimplifying things to the point it completely ignores the need for a midfield capable of controlling games. It sounds like we have a perfect squad and Smalling is the one holding it back, when in fact we'd have been in big trouble if we didn't depend on Smalling saving us defensively these last years.

Schneiderlin, Bastian, Rooney, Di Maria in midfield. Before that even worse. Matic, Herrera and Pogba have helped a bit but we've seen games where Smalling has not played and we've had the exact same problems we do with Chris in the team. Our midfield is capable on form and it simply isn't a huge problem against weaker teams, but against the tougher teams it is and that is what the statistics prove, and has little to do with Chris. Two Lindelofs in a tough game where our midfield struggle to move and get the ball would not be sustainable.
All those things are valid in isolation, but when it's over multiple years with different midfields, defensive pairings etc. all coming and going but the trend still continues, you can draw some conclusions. Nobody is saying he is the only problem, or even the biggest problem, but you can't deny there is something wrong there. When you actually watch us play it becomes quite obvious how he limits the team. Everything needs to be that bit more laboured and risk averse to accommodate him.

Ekeke

All those things are valid in isolation, but when it's over multiple years with different midfields, defensive pairings etc. all coming and going but the trend still continues, you can draw some conclusions. Nobody is saying he is the only problem, or even the biggest problem, but you can't deny there is something wrong there. When you actually watch us play it becomes quite obvious how he limits the team. Everything needs to be that bit more laboured and risk averse to accommodate him.
:lol:

You're just attributing everything you don't like in our play to the player who you believe has the least technical ability.

SteveW

Chris Smalling reminds me of Donald Trump. They have so much in common.

1. How they got key positions in the biggest institutions of the world will always be a mystery.
2. They're both not fit for the position.
3. They both have a bunch of misguided deluded followers who think they're the best thing ever.
4. No matter what they do, you can't say a bad word about them without their followers jumping down your throat.
5. They're a laughing stock to the rest of the free world.
6. They're an embarrassment to their respective organisations.
6. They wouldn't get a top position in any other major organisation (well Trump might, I guess).
7. Doesn't look like we'll ever be shot of them any time soon.
8. They both make me want to hurt somebody!

I could go on.
Awful pointless post.

Also why do some people feel the need to project their Trump angst absolutely everywhere? It's a fecking football forum, go cry about Trump to someone who gives a shit

:lol:

You're just attributing everything you don't like in our play to the player who you believe has the least technical ability.
No i'm not. Just stating the fact that we play better without him in the team and have done for years. I have my thoughts on why that is, which you're free to disagree with, but the fact still remains.

Born2Lose

Like Jones, he's a cockup waiting to happen. Had to give up on being angry and just start laughing when he almost scored a second own goal.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
When he’s good he’s great. And he’s mainly been good/great this season.

However, when he’s not good he tends to be hopeless. It’s clearly a mental thing. He has these games where he literally can’t get anything right. Fecks up something minor and and it snowballs from there. Not a lack of talent. Just a lack of confidence/coolness under pressure.

Hard to know if this will ever completely go away. Although the fact he’s been so good for so much of this season gives me some hope.

Ekeke

No i'm not. Just stating the fact that we play better without him in the team and have done for years. I have my thoughts on why that is, which you're free to disagree with, but the fact still remains.
Its not a fact. Its in spite of the facts. We play without him exactly the same way. He's been in the team when we have played best and achieved most.

The facts say he plays the ball forward more than most of our other CBs.

The facts do not say your opinion. You do. Your opinion is based on your agenda and bias, not facts.

Loublaze

ATLien
How is it a 'fact' when Smalling has started and played in most of United's best performances over the last 6 seasons?

That includes a few goals in memorable comeback wins, a few memorable goals against city and starting every cup final triumph.

Not a single one of our other CBs can hold their hands up and say they've contributed more than Smalling in the post Fergie era.

Canagel

He's better than Lindeloef and Jones but some of you forgot the standard and level of CB that played here:

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
When he’s good he’s great. And he’s mainly been good/great this season.

However, when he’s not good he tends to be hopeless. It’s clearly a mental thing. He has these games where he literally can’t get anything right. Fecks up something minor and and it snowballs from there. Not a lack of talent. Just a lack of confidence/coolness under pressure.

Hard to know if this will ever completely go away. Although the fact he’s been so good for so much of this season gives me some hope.
He's 29, been playing for us for years so I don't think that's something that will change with him unfortunately.

SteveW

He's better than Lindeloef and Jones but some of you forgot the standard and level of CB that played here:

The best PL defender of my life time is the expected standard?

Ekeke

Vidic didnt do any of that :D And Rio came in doing that but cut most of it out over his time here. He lost the ball a couple of times in midfield in his first few seasons and seemed to lose confidence in it.

Talking about the bringing the ball into midfield, something that I remember being heavily talked about when we signed him. The long balls and passing from our backline he would still do

SteveW

Vidic didnt do any of that :D And Rio came in doing that but cut most of it out over his time here. He lost the ball a couple of times in midfield in his first few seasons and seemed to lose confidence in it.

Talking about the bringing the ball into midfield, something that I remember being heavily talked about when we signed him. The long balls and passing from our backline he would still do
He was phenomenal but just hoofed it up the pitch for his last few seasons. Can remember us ever having an incredible ball playing CB to be honest. Probably because it's not actually necessary

How is it a 'fact' when Smalling has started and played in most of United's best performances over the last 6 seasons?

That includes a few goals in memorable comeback wins, a few memorable goals against city and starting every cup final triumph.

Not a single one of our other CBs can hold their hands up and say they've contributed more than Smalling in the post Fergie era.
I think i'm starting to understand why we disagree.

Post-Fergie not much about this club has been to the required standard. Smalling is just one of many examples of mediocrity that's become accepted as normal. Do you think we became a worse team when Ferdinand, Vidic, Stam or Pallister were selected?

Let's compare to the current standard in the league with Van Dijk's stats from last year. He hasn't missed a game yet this year to compare against but we can probably all agree he's taken it up a notch further:

With (26 games)
For: 69 goals scored / 2.65 goals per game
Against: 22 goals conceded / 0.85 goals conceded per game
GD: +47
Points per game: 2.27

Without (12 games)
For: 15 / 1.25
Against: 16 / 1.33
GD: -1
Points per game: 1.33

Those are the kind of stats a team with a top centre back puts up.

Bobski

Smalling being compared to Trump, WTF people.

Smalling has a great game or spell and the praise has to be chiselled out and qualified. A poor game is confirmation that he has always been shit. It was ever thus.

The stats under Ole wouldn't be in any way influenced by the runs of games he was not picked for being piss easy would they?

A-man

The best PL defender of my life time is the expected standard?
It’s ridiculous to set that as the lowest standard.

Of course it is always fun to speculate who of the old stars would make it in today’s more competitive PL and the modern modern football, but apart from that it is mostly tragic with fans looking back at old days saying how much better everything was at that time.

Loublaze

ATLien
I think he's better than Lindelof to be honest.
I agree. Lindelof is in fine form but he's not as good as people claim he is. He has shown a lot of improvement and has avoided serious injuries but I want to see how far he can keep this up. Bailly was considered the savior at the back in his first season but he's now seen as a lost cause and is getting the same treatment Lindelof got (it was even worse for him) in his first season when he looked a nothing player. Smalling has been the only constant at the back, him and De Gea.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Not many are available with that type of standard. :lol:

Smalling is better than Lindelof imo. If people moan about Smalling being bad with the ball, I must say Lindelof should get similar treatment. The nickname of iceman really overrated him. And after re-watch Rio’s skills again, I’m more convinced that Lindelof is being overrated by lot of United fans. We need a better ball playing centre back than Lindelof, let Smalling stay in lineup at least defensively he’s not average.

Loublaze

ATLien
Not many are available with that type of standard. :lol:

Smalling is better than Lindelof imo. If people moan about Smalling being bad with the ball, I must say Lindelof should get similar treatment. The nickname of iceman really overrated him. And after re-watch Rio’s skills again, I’m more convinced that Lindelof is being overrated by lot of United fans. We need a better ball playing centre back than Lindelof, let Smalling stay in lineup at least defensively he’s not average.
Finally we agree on something!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Smallings short comings are well documented here, so I won't dwell on them, but what I don't understand is this reputation he has that he's good in the air.
OK he might consistently win the header, but 95% of the time he just heads a lofted ball back to the opposition. Great defenders do not do this.

Watch the greats, they win the header and still manage to find a teammate, and this creates counter attacking opportunities, Smalling rarely does this, and it's so frustrating to see him win headers and give the ball back to the opponent, it's like he jumps and closes his eyes just as he wins the header.

Winning a header is not good enough for a top team, you need to be able to find a teammate consistently with your clearances, otherwise what's the bloody point. We are Man Utd, not fecking Everton, just clearing a ball is not good enough.

Lastly notice how Smallings headers are mostly lofted clearances, he rarely heads it to a teammates feet, or into their paths.

Anyway just thought I'd give my 2 cents on what I believe to be a myth that Smalling is great in the air.
Clearance is about putting the ball away from danger position. It’s not about an accuracy to find team mate, that’s called passing not clearance. It’s not his fault if our players don’t position themselves well enough or also lose challenge for the ball.

Ekeke

Messi:

Smalling is, however, undaunted by the prospect of facing the 31-year-old and, having already come up against Kylian Mbappe and Cristiano Ronaldo this season, he's relishing another tough test at Old Trafford.

"It's something to relish I think," he said.

"This season, we have been lucky enough to face [Cristiano] Ronaldo, [Kylian] Mbappe and they are all challenges that I definitely relish and I think players at this club relish.

"I say bring it on."

And United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer - while heaping praise on Messi - echoed the defender's sentiments, whilst pointing out that the Catalan giants possess plenty of other talented players who could cause them problems.

The Norwegian added: "What kind of plan can you have to stop one of the best players in the world?

"As Chris says, we are looking forward to it, we relish the opportunity but this season, we have played against Juventus with Ronaldo, PSG with Mbappe, we've had Chelsea and [Eden] Hazard.
Good attitude going into the game/s. Hopefully a good performance to go with it

Messi:

Good attitude going into the game/s. Hopefully a good performance to go with it
Considering both Ronaldo and Mbappe scored against us I'm not sure I share his enthusiasm for a facing a player even better still. Of course he's never played Barcelona before so maybe he just wants to be able to tell his kids about the time he got skinned by Messi.

Mcking

Considering both Ronaldo and Mbappe scored against us I'm not sure I share his enthusiasm for a facing a player even better still. Of course he's never played Barcelona before so maybe he just wants to be able to tell his kids about the time he got skinned by Messi.
Mbappe didn't score when Smalling played.

Ekeke

What else happened in your imagination?

Mcking

Which is why i said 'us' and not 'him'. Don't worry i didn't insult your beloved defender.
Maybe he is probably just enthused at the prospect of shutting out Messi, few weeks after dominating Mbappe in a top UCL knockout game?

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Superb as always. He's been our best CB for about 4 years now. Always feel the odd mistake or poor performance from Smalling is blown well out of proportion.

Status
Not open for further replies.