Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Yeah he was great, pretty much dominated them. If Lindelof and Young didn't make some mistakes we wouldn't conceede, but there you go. I don't get why is he playing on the left though, Lindelof hardly looks anything better with the ball.

Zoo

That booking was a joke just like Lingard’s. Italian referees are awful they are all over the place with their decision making.

Bobski

Exceptionally aggressive performance tonight, looking to push up, dominate his challenge and win the ball at every opportunity, no doubt a part of the 3 CB ploy was to allow him that freedom to be that assertive. A few sloppier moments on the ball of course but he played well.

That challenge on Messi was fantastic defensive play, old school, come in hard, win the ball, leave a little on the player without fouling him. There were a few in the match thread bemoaning people appreciating the force in that play but physicality has always been part of the game, and it would be a more banal sport without it.

Andersons Dietician

Yeah he was great, pretty much dominated them. If Lindelof and Young didn't make some mistakes we wouldn't conceede, but there you go. I don't get why is he playing on the left though, Lindelof hardly looks anything better with the ball.
We played a 3, so he was more central and he did seem to swap quite a bit through out the game with Lindelof. Think Smalling had a license to go and win stuff so when he found himself out of position he was just slotting in or instructing Lindelof to switch.

He fairly managed that defence, was constantly talking and pointing and took a real leadership role. Was fantastic pushing up and cutting out those balls into Suarez and Messi but then you’d expect him to out power both of those easily.

If we get Toby I think he should partner Smalling, I'm not sold on Lindeolf.

Last edited:

Ashley R1+O

Solid again, had to babysit Shaw next to him which makes his job a lot harder. Hopefully by the end of his time here he can just have one good partner, a couple of stable experienced fullbacks and we can get a good season out of that. He's been the babysitter of horrible partners and messy defensive schemes in the last five seasons, must be wearing pretty thin.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
That yellow card and a few of those late freekicks were horrible decision from the ref. Few from many in that game. Thought he played as normal. Such a great defender. Sucks we never found him a decent partner.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He made Messi his bitch but any time he has the ball under pressure it’s either a sideways pass or a turnover.
The long list of him dominating good to world class players: Hazard, Kane, Higuain, Messi.

But some still think he's not a top 4 CB. They should be instant banned (at least from this thread).

Skills

Snitch
It's going to be hilarious when we buy a new CB, and then he ends up replacing Lindelof rather than Smalling.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
We played a 3, so he was more central and he did seem to swap quite a bit through out the game with Lindelof. Think Smalling had a license to go and win stuff so when he found himself out of position he was just slotting in or instructing Lindelof to switch.
Yeah, I know he played in the middle(not on the left as my post says), but I still think they should probably swap positions, I am not sure I like it. But yeah, I guess Lindelof can't play in the middle.

Patrick08

It's going to be hilarious when we buy a new CB, and then he ends up replacing Lindelof rather than Smalling.
What's wrong with lindelof? Nothing, he will apply himself more when he naturally grows bigger and stronger.

Mcking

The long list of him dominating good to world class players: Hazard, Kane, Higuain, Messi.

But some still think he's not a top 4 CB. They should be instant banned (at least from this thread).
Add Mbappe there. He just bossed a UCL quaters against the best team in Spain after bossing a UCL RO16 against the best team in France and regularly bossing every other team in England. Some say he is not good enough though, and I keep asking myself, good enough for what exactly? Saving the fecking world?

Andersons Dietician

Yeah, I know he played in the middle(not on the left as my post says), but I still think they should probably swap positions, I am not sure I like it. But yeah, I guess Lindelof can't play in the middle.
I think it’s probably a case that Smalling is just more aggressive and better at winning the ball.

Paul_Scholes18

Very good again. People will keep saying we need central defenders, but it is our strongest area. If we got Barcas defenders they would do much worse for us even if they might be a bit better on the ball.

As we did see today the big difference between us and Barcelona is the attack.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Add Mbappe there. He just bossed a UCL quaters against the best team in Spain after bossing a UCL RO16 against the best team in France and regularly bossing every other team in England. Some say he is not good enough though, and I keep asking myself, good enough for what exactly? Saving the fecking world?
Totally forgot about Mbappe.

Steerpike

"As a centre forward, you hate playing against that kind of player. You know he's going to hurt you" - Michael Owen, describing Chris Smalling. That's exactly why our defence needs him and looks so much better when he plays.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Very good performance. He did well against Messi and Suarez.

Ban

Another great game but 1st mistake and he'll be jumped upon and be criticized to no end.

Tapori

Whatever your views on Smalling, you have to admire specifically of how he dealt with Suarez all game leading to the fake hit that got Smalling booked for literally nothing.

That tackle though.

Canagel

Obviously limited on the ball again but won all his battles and was very aggressive. Not much to complain about.

Ekeke

Wayne Rooney :

“He has been incredible and for me he is right up there in world football in terms of centre halves,” Rooney told Manutd.com.

“He is in the top three centre-halves in the world – I think he is that good.

“He is a great player and he is developing to become more of a leader of the back four. It is great to see for both United and England, and hopefully that can continue for him and he can help us to be successful.”

AJ10

That's the thing with him, he'll do really well vs these players you've listed then totally Feck up vs lesser players but tonight he was fantastic, wish he bloodied that racists nose.

Ekeke

That's the thing with him, he'll do really well vs these players you've listed then totally Feck up vs lesser players but tonight he was fantastic, wish he bloodied that racists nose.
List 5 current CBs who never make a mistake

AJ10

Ah yes the great defender of smalling has arrived.

Every defender makes mistakes but not as many as smalling and that's why he gets criticised but i am sure you think your chris smalling is on the same level as Maldini since maldini made mistakes in his career. There's a big difference between making mistakes once in a while and doing it many times a season but in your eyes your chris smalling cannot be criticised for his mistakes since other defenders also make mistakes......Cooool :rolleyes:.

Great logic Mrs. Smalling.
Cheerio. :lol:

P.S. do tell Chris he played well tonight and @AJ10 said he should have given that racist a bloody nose not messi.

Paul_Scholes18

None really. PSG, Real Madrid and Bayern defenders mess up a lot of the time. Barca don't have too many solid defenders. Chiellini is good, but is getting old and make errors.

Van Dijk is better on the ball, but his defending is pretty similar to Smalling even if he is overhyped. Laporte also read the game better for sure, but might be helped by Peps system that makes them dominate most of the games.

Ekeke

Ah yes the great defender of smalling has arrived.

Every defender makes mistakes but not as many as smalling and that's why he gets criticised but i am sure you think your chris smalling is on the same level as Maldini since maldini made mistakes in his career. There's a big difference between making mistakes once in a while and doing it many times a season but in your eyes your chris smalling cannot be criticised for his mistakes since other defenders also make mistakes......Cooool :rolleyes:.

Great logic Mrs. Smalling.
Cheerio. :lol:

P.S. do tell Chris he played well tonight and @AJ10 said he should have given that racist a bloody nose not messi.
He doesnt make many mistakes and by far the least of our CBs.

People who dont understand how to defend think he makes a mistake but they are wrong, because believe it or not but a CB that Rooney said is top 3 in the world knows how to defend better than you do. I know that will be crushing for you to hear but its the truth.

m1tch

My only real criticism of him tonight is that he could have smashed through Suarez at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.