5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Probably complete rubbish but there's a rumour he had a fall out with Jones and thats why neither were in the squad today.

Paul_Scholes18

Probably complete rubbish but there's a rumour he had a fall out with Jones and thats why neither were in the squad today.
Maybe they did cause injury problems to each others in training ;). Don't really see why they would fall out and get dropped over that.
Neither strikes me as the type to start fighting with each other either.

I think it is clear that Jones got injury problems as always. Smalling probably had a knock.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
That sounds odd. Where did you find this rumour?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Doubt it's true, but it would be incredible if this is what it takes to finally get rid of them.

Sylar

He's not as good on the ball as most at the back
The problem is Bailly can't stay fit to get into a rhythm, rojo is rash, Jones hurts himself
So smalling always finds his way back.

Without him we did well defensively which might surprise a lot that regularly post in this thread. But our ball movement at the back is much better without him

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He's not as good on the ball as most at the back
The problem is Bailly can't stay fit to get into a rhythm, rojo is rash, Jones hurts himself
So smalling always finds his way back.

Without him we did well defensively which might surprise a lot that regularly post in this thread. But our ball movement at the back is much better without him
If you are talking about that first half where Matic took control of midfield combined with Herrera, Pogba and Mata actually making themselves available for passes, well that has obviously happened before with Smalling in there too. I hope you don't think the reason they made it work simply was because Smalling wasn't there to feck up passes? That is obviously an exaggeration if thats the case and his passing doesn't really effect our game as much as the scapegoaters make out. However, I do agree that Lindelof and Bailly defended decently, but Shaw and Young also had good defensive contributions, which isn't always the case. I don't think Chelsea offered a lot of attacking threat throughout the game and was happy with the draw.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Thought our main reason for lack of creativity is Smalling playing at the back? Who would have thought that one player, a defender, doesn't make that much difference in team's possession and attacking stats.

He can be one of our problems at times, but we probably have about 6 or 7 players we need to replace first.

Sylar

Thought our main reason for lack of creativity is Smalling playing at the back? Who would have thought that one player, a defender, doesn't make that much difference in team's possession and attacking stats.

He can be one of our problems at times, but we probably have about 6 or 7 players we need to replace first.
Were at a point where we shouldn't look at order of replacing
If somebody is out there we need to bring in him

Scriblerus

I don't rate Smalling as badly as many on here, but I am concerned about the introduction of VAR next season, and his habit of cuddling up to whoever he is marking at corners. He's one of the most blatant offenders around, and we could see him conceding a string of penalties if he can't change his ways (of course he won't be he only one if the laws are properly enforced in the future).

A-man

I don't rate Smalling as badly as many on here, but I am concerned about the introduction of VAR next season, and his habit of cuddling up to whoever he is marking at corners. He's one of the most blatant offenders around, and we could see him conceding a string of penalties if he can't change his ways (of course he won't be he only one if the laws are properly enforced in the future).
I think he'll adapt and it'll be fine. But of course "clean" defenders will benefit from VAR and wrestling defenders might be punished.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Embarrassing
And he's supposed to be our best defender

We are a fecking joke of a club

Ekeke

Embarrassing

We've seen it in previous games, Smalling is challenging for aerials on Ashley Young's side because he's useless in the air. It sounds a sensible tactic, but if Pogba switches off and lets his man run which he did here, we dont have that extra cover in the middle to make up for it making it an even more punishing mistake by Pogba and McTominay trying to press into a challenge he couldnt win.

Smalling has done it several times and hasnt been dropped, so clearly this is part of our tactics. Whether you like it or not. If it was just a personal mistake to do that he wouldn't be doing it continually and starting.

Pogba not tracking his man from a throw in and McTominay making a challenge, not winning it and taking himself out of position to effect the play is probably not part of the tactics.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Smaling is there because he's tall and he is covering for his fullback's (Ashley Young) lack of height. It's probably something they worked on training, he didn't suddenly decide to cover Young's player.

It's McTominay's fault for being turned easily, and Pogba usualy just jogs there pretending he doesn't see his player running behind.

Ekeke

That's Sunday league stuff - funniest is that he points out the danger, it's like he thinks he's the LB
He's clearly in the position that he's been told to be in and organizing the set piece. He's telling McTominay what to do, but Pogba leaves his man and McTominay challenges without coming away with the ball. It obviously all goes tits up and makes all of them look bad.

But this is something we've seen a bunch since Ole took over. I have no idea if this was something he did at Molde, but it seems pretty clear this is one of the things Ole has tried to implement since he came in because Smalling has started doing this since then and didnt happen under Mourinho.

Ekeke

If you think what's going on in front of him is the danger, I understand why you rate him so highly.
He's facing straight at the ball and the man who eventually receives the ball. He's pointing out for that area to be covered by Pogba and McTominay. They mess it up and you might not like this new tactic, but it isnt a random event. Its how we're defending throw ins on Young's side, it led to a goal a few weeks ago too

He's facing straight at the ball and the man who eventually receives the ball. He's pointing out for that area to be covered by Pogba and McTominay. They mess it up and you might not like this new tactic, but it isnt a random event. Its how we're defending throw ins on Young's side, it led to a goal a few weeks ago too
He's up by the player next to Young and positioning to go up against him, completely neglecting what might happen if Dalot gets beaten. Maybe it is a new tactic and I'm wrong, but it wouldn't be the first time his lack of awareness has caught him out, and a centre back should only ever be that far out to the side as a last resort.

Ekeke

He's up by the player next to Young and positioning to go up against him, completely neglecting what might happen if Dalot gets beaten. Maybe it is a new tactic and I'm wrong, but it wouldn't be the first time his lack of awareness has caught him out, and a centre back should only ever be that far out to the side as a last resort.
Seems like our manager disagrees with you.

Both Pogba and Mctominay messed up, then Dalot was indecisive and caught between doing 2 things so his man is there to tap it in. We did indeed need a CB there to cover for all the mistakes but thats obviously not the plan for all those mistakes before that.

Any new tactic will probably sacrifice one thing for another thing the manager has decided is more important. In this example we give up having an extra man at the back with the idea that we're better at winning the ball and getting it out. Unfortunately Ole has had a smaller amount of time to implement his ideas than our other managers and this looked half baked in practice because of the errors. So I do agree that it makes Smalling look bad, just like it makes Pogba, McTominay and Dalot look bad. But he does also look like the only one who is carrying out the manager's orders without asking Ole himself

tomaldinho1

He's clearly in the position that he's been told to be in and organizing the set piece. He's telling McTominay what to do, but Pogba leaves his man and McTominay challenges without coming away with the ball. It obviously all goes tits up and makes all of them look bad.

But this is something we've seen a bunch since Ole took over. I have no idea if this was something he did at Molde, but it seems pretty clear this is one of the things Ole has tried to implement since he came in because Smalling has started doing this since then and didnt happen under Mourinho.
If you can provide some video evidence of this part that'd be great but I suspect he's just had a lapse in concentration and has strayed to far wide.

FYI I get you like Smalling, I think you have responded to every poster on here who criticises him but sometimes, and i suspect this is one of those times, it's worth just saying he's messed up.

RedCurry

Embarrassing

While Pogba is just watching the runner jog past him. Sure a better defender may have smelled that danger and snuffed it but by no means is that completely on Smalling.

Hawks2008

Has his uses but they are few. Has a place in the squad but cannot be one of our starting CB's.

Ekeke

If you can provide some video evidence of this part that'd be great but I suspect he's just had a lapse in concentration and has strayed to far wide.

FYI I get you like Smalling, I think you have responded to every poster on here who criticises him but sometimes, and i suspect this is one of those times, it's worth just saying he's messed up.
It was talked about a lot (complained about) after Everton's 4th goal last week

About 1:20 in the video we can see the same thing, Smalling doubling up on Young's man. The difference is its further up the pitch and the opponents try to play the long throw. Whereas this week they didnt play the long throw that Smalling would have helped defend against.

If this was a mistake it would probably have been addressed in training and he probably wouldnt be starting again, doing the exact same thing and clearly organizing other players on the move

It clearly looks like a new tactic that we havent got right yet.

Based Adnan

Smalling - doubles up on a throw in completely committing himself which leaves space for the opposition who go on to score on two different occasions.

Ekeke - "Must be a tactic" :lol:

tomaldinho1

It was talked about a lot (complained about) after Everton's 4th goal last week

About 1:20 in the video we can see the same thing, Smalling doubling up on Young's man. The difference is its further up the pitch and the opponents try to play the long throw. Whereas this week they didnt play the long throw that Smalling would have helped defend against.

If this was a mistake it would probably have been addressed in training and he probably wouldnt be starting again, doing the exact same thing and clearly organizing other players on the move

It clearly looks like a new tactic that we havent got right yet.
That example is completely different IMO, Smalling is marking the player who wins the flick on.

What's weird about the original one is that they (Smalling & Young) are so close to the Everton player/touchline and Smalling is so far from where you'd expect a CB to be. If that's a tactic, whoever organises our defenders should take a look in the mirror but I assume Smalling is just too far to the side and therefore the channel opens up for a one on one form the throw.

Ekeke

That example is completely different IMO, Smalling is marking the player who wins the flick on.

What's weird about the original one is that they (Smalling & Young) are so close to the Everton player/touchline and Smalling is so far from where you'd expect a CB to be. If that's a tactic, whoever organises our defenders should take a look in the mirror but I assume Smalling is just too far to the side and therefore the channel opens up for a one on one form the throw.
Its exactly the same, the difference is a long throw comes in giving time to prepare and challenge for it. No long throw goes towards or past Young so Smalling doesnt need to come into play and is more concerned with McTominay and Pogba in the middle where the ball goes

Status
Not open for further replies.